I am so Angry

Status
Not open for further replies.
kgeaux said:
What? I didn't edit anything.
The message has been edited. Maybe a mod did it. There was more. I'm sorry if the edit was done by a moderator and not you, and I said it was you. I wasn't thinking that a moderator could have done the edit.

kgeaux said:
What? I didn't edit anything.

I am going to stand here. Kgeaux won't edit to exploit her opinion.All of this is horrible.We need to come together a little bit better right now.I don't always agree with everything that is posted but I know we are all hurting.We need to remember who the victims are.We aren't the victims others are...so let's get off our collective butts and make a difference. What have you all done today to make a difference?Little or big or somewhere in between.

concernedperson said:
I am going to stand here. Kgeaux won't edit to exploit her opinion.
She edited or a mod did. I don't know who, as I've said. But the post changed. I know because I copied it when it first appeared.

BarnGoddess said:
Quote:

You know why the Astrodome can handle the Katrinians? Because it is an evacuation point for Galveston and has supplies of food, water, meds, generators. The city officials here followed the guidelines to BE PREPARED.

quote dara:

Dara, Tex said that officials in and of the government of TEXAS prepared their emergency shelter with the necessary supplies, not FEMA. It's not FEMA's responsibility to follow through to make sure the city and state followed the guidelines. Again, it was not FEMA's responsibility to do the work themselves. Like Texas, they should have done it themselves.

Contrast Texas preparation with:

TIMES-PICAYUNE published a story on July 24, 2005 stating: City, state and federal emergency officials are preparing to give a historically blunt message: "In the event of a major hurricane, you're on your own."

Staff writer Bruce Nolan reported: " In scripted appearances being recorded now, officials such as Mayor Ray Nagin, local Red Cross Executive Director Kay Wilkins and City Council President Oliver Thomas drive home the word that the city does not have the resources to move out of harm's way an estimated 134,000 people without transportation."

"In the video, made by the anti-poverty agency Total Community Action, they urge those people to make arrangements now by finding their own ways to leave the city in the event of an evacuation.

"You're responsible for your safety, and you should be responsible for the person next to you," Wilkins said in an interview. "If you have some room to get that person out of town, the Red Cross will have a space for that person outside the area. We can help you."

They were told to bring their OWN food and water!

And after a drill and near miss the local, parish, state officials did not learn:

WSJ:

In addition to the plans, local, state and federal officials held a simulated hurricane drill 13 months ago, in which widespread flooding supposedly trapped 300,000 people inside New Orleans. The exercise simulated the evacuation of more than a million residents. The problems identified in the simulation apparently were not solved.

A year ago, as Hurricane Ivan approached, New Orleans ordered an evacuation but did not use city or school buses to help people evacuate. As a result many of the poorest citizens were unable to evacuate. Fortunately, the hurricane changed course and did not hit New Orleans, but both Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin acknowledged the need for a better evacuation plan. Again, they did not take corrective actions. In 1998, during a threat by Hurricane George, 14,000 people were sent to the Superdome and theft and vandalism were rampant due to inadequate security. Again, these problems were not corrected.

ETA: Where are my manners? Hello Barn Goddess

I still say that we need to come together more. So many need our help. I am not up to sniping.I hope that we don't blame the victims and we find ways for people to get the help. And that we go on to a much healthier environment and we honor the ones who are first responders.

TexMex said:
A year ago, as Hurricane Ivan approached, New Orleans ordered an evacuation but did not use city or school buses to help people evacuate. As a result many of the poorest citizens were unable to evacuate. Fortunately, the hurricane changed course and did not hit New Orleans, but both Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin acknowledged the need for a better evacuation plan. Again, they did not take corrective actions. In 1998, during a threat by Hurricane George, 14,000 people were sent to the Superdome and theft and vandalism were rampant due to inadequate security. Again, these problems were not corrected.
You find some of the best stuff. Thanks!!

TexMex said:

TIMES-PICAYUNE published a story on July 24, 2005 stating: City, state and federal emergency officials are preparing to give a historically blunt message: "In the event of a major hurricane, you're on your own."

Staff writer Bruce Nolan reported: " In scripted appearances being recorded now, officials such as Mayor Ray Nagin, local Red Cross Executive Director Kay Wilkins and City Council President Oliver Thomas drive home the word that the city does not have the resources to move out of harm's way an estimated 134,000 people without transportation."

"In the video, made by the anti-poverty agency Total Community Action, they urge those people to make arrangements now by finding their own ways to leave the city in the event of an evacuation.

"You're responsible for your safety, and you should be responsible for the person next to you," Wilkins said in an interview. "If you have some room to get that person out of town, the Red Cross will have a space for that person outside the area. We can help you."

And after a drill and near miss the local, parish, state officials did not learn:

WSJ:

In addition to the plans, local, state and federal officials held a simulated hurricane drill 13 months ago, in which widespread flooding supposedly trapped 300,000 people inside New Orleans. The exercise simulated the evacuation of more than a million residents. The problems identified in the simulation apparently were not solved.

This is really revealing information. I'd love to hear the mayor and the governor respond to this.

concernedperson said:
I still say that we need to come together more. So many need our help. I am not up to sniping.I hope that we don't blame the victims and we find ways for people to get the help. And that we go on to a much healthier environment and we honor the ones who are first responders.
In spite of how you interpreted it, I don't think anyone here blames the victims. I haven't heard a single person say that.

ETA: Okay, I think I'm guilty since I did say something like that. I should have said "responsibility" which is different from blame. It's not my place to blame them and that's not the word I should have used.

TexMex,

I'm having a little brain lag suddenly. What is WSJ?

Very good article, right on target. Some of the problem is the way New Orleans is surrounded by water, it makes evacuation slow and cumbersome, even after contra-flow is instituted.

Asking people to provide their own food and water is, well, dumb. I never really thought about it before, because it has always been that way here. But if Texas can keep stocks before hand to be prepared, then Louisiana should, too. We have got to learn from this. We can't let this ever happen again, where people are abandoned without the basic necessities for sustaining life.

Thank you, TexMex. And thank you concerned person. You are right on target! I'm trying, I just get sidetracked sometimes. :blowkiss:

Dara said:
She edited or a mod did. I don't know who, as I've said. But the post changed. I know because I copied it when it first appeared.

It wasn't me, I promise. Editing to add: I don't see where the message has changed.

TexMex said:

WSJ:

This really says it all to me and it is what we saw happen.
Some of you don't think that discussing all this is helping the whole situation, but I could not disagree more. This is an important way of helping on a very personal level IMO.i am coming away from this thread heavily armed with information and the hard questions to ask my own officials at election time. This discussion will hopefully turn the lights on all over the place to fix the mistakes on every level so that we never see anything of this magnitude again.

marrigotti said:
This is really revealing information. I'd love to hear the mayor and the governor respond to this.

And you won't because they're not going to.

kgeaux said:
TexMex,

Very good article, right on target. Some of the problem is the way New Orleans is surrounded by water, it makes evacuation slow and cumbersome, even after contra-flow is instituted.

Asking people to provide their own food and water is, well, dumb. I never really thought about it before, because it has always been that way here. But if Texas can keep stocks before hand to be prepared, then Louisiana should, too. We have got to learn from this. We can't let this ever happen again, where people are abandoned without the basic necessities for sustaining life.

Thank you, TexMex. And thank you concerned person. You are right on target! I'm trying, I just get sidetracked sometimes. :blowkiss:

Wall Street Journal, kgeaux.

Can we please please please do a I'm So Angry Part 2 thread? This one is blowing out the margins.

kgeaux said:
TexMex,

You are not the target. You are a loved one in pain.I think of you every day. I know you want sense and sensibilities.Sometimes that isn't possible.I don't want anymore hurt that has been in our radar.I do not want you attacked in any way. I want us to come together and find a way to help,we can't make this right we can only help each other.

Dara said:
Yes, that was nice. Sure didn't last long. I was one of those participating. I hadn't felt like doing so, and then a few posters seemed to be really interested. I've gotten responses back from the library that would help with figuring it out, but you know, I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'd be glad to continue with that, but not when I see underhanded garbage some will stoop to.

I would be interested to read what you find out from your library. But, I still have the same concern that I posted earlier in the afternoon, about the myriad policies/procedures/laws by different gov't agencies. They don't call it red tape for nothing, LOL! We have to realize it also depends on how different agencies' plans intertwine (I KNOW that has got to be spelled wrong, so please use phonetics, LOL!) to know who's has priority, which precedes another, exceptions, exclusions, etc. Dang, I know we've got some attorneys here at WS, but I don't know if they can give us a crash course of Gov't 401. That's what the legal analysts, media pundits, political people are doing 24/7. (We need a "Midnight" type person, for those who know him from the Snott trial, LOL!)

That's why I really am interested in what someone with the background, such as JBean's sister, has to say, what she can tell us. Yet, she's quite busy with more urgent matters, rightfully so.

So yes, please keep the info coming, we still don't have answers. Is this a special type of librarian, by any chance? (I mean, does she work in the Library of Congress, or is a PhD in Governmental policy or ?)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member