I no longer believe that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thescent of death
remains for months andyears

Especially in porous surfaces ucan Never get rid of it

...even in the air? If that were the case, cadaver dogs would alert everywhere. It is my understanding that the scent was in the air and it was in the bedroom. It has not been released that there were any porous surfaces with decomp. Imo, there are, but it has not been stated. I am under the impression the dog picked up the SCENT of a dead person...not any objects. I would think the scent (in the air)would dissipate in a few weeks.

...even in the air? If that were the case, cadaver dogs would alert everywhere. It is my understanding that the scent was in the air and it was in the bedroom. It has not been released that there were any porous surfaces with decomp. Imo, there are, but it has not been stated. I am under the impression the dog picked up the SCENT of a dead person...not any objects. I would think the scent (in the air)would dissipate in a few weeks.

Why do you say they would alert everywhere? they would alert where the scent had accumulated and fixed itself

the scent will coagulate with e.g. Carpet fibres, mattresses

Two things

if the scent disappeared in a couple weeks you wouldnt have dogs picking up on it after that time as they often do and you wouldnt have LE send in cadaver dogs after a few weeks if it were a waste of time, not talking about this case but others

There was a study done with these dogs to find out how long the scent lasts and if they picked it up when the original cause of the scent was removed and it found they pick it up up to 14 months later, at least thats when the study finished, so could be even longer

The study is here, on the left hand side menu, click on articles of interest, and then, residual scent in buildings

http://www.csst.org/

thank you for your links. I must not make myself very clear because I get corrected on this every time.

I think cadaver dogs alert on human remains and some can alert on scent of death. I was under the impression this one in this case alerted on the scent only. It only makes sense to me that if the scent doesn't disappear that the dogs would be alerting often and in many places as billions of people have left this earth.

thank you for your links. I must not make myself very clear because I get corrected on this every time.

I think cadaver dogs alert on human remains and some can alert on scent of death. I was under the impression this one in this case alerted on the scent only. It only makes sense to me that if the scent doesn't disappear that the dogs would be alerting often and in many places as billions of people have left this earth.

well, a cadaver dog will only alert where it is deployed, if no one has ever died in a house it wont alert

The scent eventually goes but alot longer than weeks

Mr grimes dogs alert to the scent even when the cause of the scenthasbeen removed, I dont know about others dogs, I would imagine they too can pick it up if its there, after all their noses and brains are trained on it

The odors that we associate with death smell, cadaverine and putrecine are heavier than air which should mean they would pool at low points nearest to where the body was. I am not sure of those particles are light enough to be "whipped up" by a gust in air current and then settle back down or if they stay pretty fixed. I am also not sure if they would "ooze" off the bed and onto the floor if a body was on a bed. I would assume that decaying, fluids, and blood put off the same odors as a full body and behave similarly. I would think the behavior of those heavier than air compounds is what keeps it concentrated and in a small area rather than up and scattered in the air everywhere and that is how a dog can hit on a particular area and avoid the clean areas. :moo:

LE took the baby comforter and the "cars" blanket. I assume the cars blanket possibly belonged to the younger boy. Isn't he the one that was sleeping with DB?

For those who believe an intruder did this, the evidence supports a good possibility that he/she took nothing for Lisa, not even her clothing or blankets, bottles, toys. That scenario does not support anything good happening for Lisa.

IDK... I think that if I was in somebody's house stealing their baby I probably wouldn't stay around packing for her either way. I'd just grab the child and go and buy whatever I need for the baby. It takes time to locate stuff in a strange house, it may cause noise and alert somebody and someone might recognize the stuff and report me if the family publishes a description, and I'd have to carry it which could slow me down.

I would have taken a blanket or something to avoid walking around with a naked baby. But no bottles and toys and extra clothing.

Mod Note:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8602036&postcount=74"]Please review this post.[/ame]

LE took the baby comforter and the "cars" blanket. I assume the cars blanket possibly belonged to the younger boy. Isn't he the one that was sleeping with DB?

For those who believe an intruder did this, the evidence supports a good possibility that he/she took nothing for Lisa, not even her clothing or blankets, bottles, toys. That scenario does not support anything good happening for Lisa.

I have wondered why they took the items that they did ( tape dispenser, cars blanket,etc) --- was it because the dog(s) hit on those items,I wonder? I know there were rumors from locals that they did...sure wish this darn case would hurry up & be solved. :banghead:

I have wondered why they took the items that they did ( tape dispenser, cars blanket,etc) --- was it because the dog(s) hit on those items,I wonder? I know there were rumors from locals that they did...sure wish this darn case would hurry up & be solved. :banghead:

BBM: I'd be curious to know how locals would know what the dog hit on inside the home, when even local news helicopters weren't allowed to fly over. So I would have to suspect they didn't allow neighbours to come gawk through the windows or participate inside the home as on lookers. JMHO.

With any case there is going to be wide speculation and rumour. I'd also think if it was known to the locals what went on inside the home during a search by LE that the news reporters would have dug deeply into it by now. Again JMHO.

deann has mentioned several times she wishes she could report on what she knows (from inside sources) but she cannot as it would jeopardize the case... as well, most reporters know not to divulge priviledged information from an on-going criminal investigation... if they did, it would affect their professional image and would most likely limit them to being privvy to such info/trust in the future.

deann has mentioned several times she wishes she could report on what she knows (from inside sources) but she cannot as it would jeopardize the case... as well, most reporters know not to divulge priviledged information from an on-going criminal investigation... if they did, it would affect their professional image and would most likely limit them to being privvy to such info/trust in the future.

We need to be a little fly in Deann's office!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat