Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

Does anyone know where DS's body was found in relation to the piglet drop-off place?

I live in corn country, but not Iowa. Around here everyone fertilizes with chicken manure, farm fields and home gardens alike. It has a strong and distinct aroma and you can smell it everywhere you go for several weeks. The scent of cow manure is much milder in comparison.

How does the type of manure play into the case?
"It has a strong and distinct aroma.. "Ammonia;;; Raise chickens, smell ammonia, stir the litter, spread it on the garden. ENHANCE growth...

Does anyone know where DS's body was found in relation to the piglet drop-off place?
Wiechmans (Piglet drop off place) is a few miles south of Hwy 20. Driving wise it's 3.173 miles from the Hwy 20 Exit.

The body was found 3.907 miles (as the crow flies) north of the Hwy 20 exit.

From where the body was found,Wiechmans is just under 6.5 miles to the south as the crow flies.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think I actually support this theory, but I am bearing it in mind. If DS left his truck in a state of disorientation (insert the cause of your choice: medical, psychological, drug induced…) it is possible that he had actually wandered rather far away and was trying to find his way back to the truck. That could have provided more than enough time for hypothermia to cause his death.
I agree with you insofar as he likely traveled quite the distance on foot. He could have unintentionally wound up back in that particular field after running/walking -- who knows how far or for how long -- while disoriented or hallucinating, in a panic, not knowing where he was, thinking he was being chased, or who knows what? Exhausting himself until he sat/laid down in that field and succumbed, I assume to hypothermia.

The conjecture I'm reading and the "trying to understand and explain" assume a rational state of mind. That David only walked 1/2 mile since that's how far his body was from the truck, that he would choose to walk southbound on the roadway, that he would have recognized and gone to a farmhouse if he needed help, that someone other than himself put him in the field, etc. So far, the evidence isn't telling us any of those things.

We are trying to find a rational explanation for behavior that was clearly irrational. I get it, it's human nature to superimpose our own states of mind on others, and on David in this case.

How likely is it that details about what led up to his death won't be possible given the months that passed and the state of his body upon discovery. And by that, I mean blood samples or other samples that would provide a definitive toxicologic explanation?

Funeral services for David Schultz, age 53 of Wall Lake, IA, will be on Friday, May 10, 2024, at 10:00 a.m. at Peace Lutheran Church in Wall Lake. Visitation will be held at the church on Thursday, May 9, from 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. with the family present from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Full obituary to come soon.

Not to be rude but does this mean with her without this body? If an autopsy or two are in the works, how can the funeral be planned with the remains until that’s completed? Of course it’s family prerogative if they want to have a service service without it.

I agree with you insofar as he likely traveled quite the distance on foot. He could have unintentionally wound up back in that particular field after running/walking -- who knows how far or for how long -- while disoriented or hallucinating, in a panic, not knowing where he was, thinking he was being chased, or who knows what? Exhausting himself until he sat/laid down in that field and succumbed, I assume to hypothermia.

The conjecture I'm reading and the "trying to understand and explain" assume a rational state of mind. That David only walked 1/2 mile since that's how far his body was from the truck, that he would choose to walk southbound on the roadway, that he would have recognized and gone to a farmhouse if he needed help, that someone other than himself put him in the field, etc. So far, the evidence isn't telling us any of those things.

We are trying to find a rational explanation for behavior that was clearly irrational. I get it, it's human nature to superimpose our own states of mind on others, and on David in this case.

How likely is it that details about what led up to his death won't be possible given the months that passed and the state of his body upon discovery. And by that, I mean blood samples or other samples that would provide a definitive toxicologic explanation?

Irrational, yes. But the question begging answers is: Why was he rational until the stop sign/ramp then flip out to turn right. What did he take, what was he given, what control entered the picture there to cause the change?
There are undercurrents in this whole matter. Low key LE thru out.. Constant hacking at LE by Sarah, and LE just taking it with occasional vanilla responses of nothing new. Sarah's foregone conclusion he is dead, so sell trucks prior to body find. Immediate requests for funds set up, the
involvement of JR and his "taking the wheel "so to speak. Resetting to a memorial fund as being more palatable, continue the cash take. 2nd autopsy to get the facts, need money. Now, there is a free one available but no firm acceptance set up.
There are facts and truths known to both sides in this that have not become visible.
Will go down as it is being advertised probably, but?? Somewhere, someone could shed a lot of light on this. I will stay with foul play and it appears successful for now...

Irrational, yes. But the question begging answers is: Why was he rational until the stop sign/ramp then flip out to turn right. What did he take, what was he given, what control entered the picture there to cause the change?
There are undercurrents in this whole matter. Low key LE thru out.. Constant hacking at LE by Sarah, and LE just taking it with occasional vanilla responses of nothing new. Sarah's foregone conclusion he is dead, so sell trucks prior to body find. Immediate requests for funds set up, the
involvement of JR and his "taking the wheel "so to speak. Resetting to a memorial fund as being more palatable, continue the cash take. 2nd autopsy to get the facts, need money. Now, there is a free one available but no firm acceptance set up.
There are facts and truths known to both sides in this that have not become visible.
Will go down as it is being advertised probably, but?? Somewhere, someone could shed a lot of light on this. I will stay with foul play and it appears successful for now...
I agree with some of what you say. Especially the early clues. Why did he seem to drive rationally and then what happened at the stop/ intersection where he headed north instead of south? As you asked, did he take, or was given, something to affect his thinking either intentionally or not?

But I don’t think LE being “low key” aka non-communicative with Sarah is out of the norm from what I’ve read in many cases here. Everyone is a suspect. I’ve followed many cases where the family is left in the dark despite constant requests for updates, which are not provided to them. It’s horrible, gut wrenching, but it happens. I don’t see LE’s lack of communication w her as being a sign of anything.

I think she also had to sell his truck to bring in some income after she realized at some point he probably wasn’t going to return (and if he did? His problem). They were a 2-income family. Otherwise why would both have continued to work to support he boys. I don’t fault her for doing what she needed to do. We also don’t know what her lawyer advised. He may have pushed the trust and selling of assets.

Wiechmans (Piglet drop off place) is a few miles south of Hwy 20. Driving wise it's 3.173 miles from the Hwy 20 Exit.

The body was found 3.907 miles (as the crow flies) north of the Hwy 20 exit.

From where the body was found,Wiechmans is just under 6.5 miles to the south as the crow flies.

<modsnip>
Thanks so much Joe, a bit more distant than my mind was thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a decent guess as to the answer to the first set of questions. I’ve seen it more than once and can never forget it — he looks like he’s lost 30 pounds. We don’t know he was rational prior to the turn. He may have been deteriorating all evening long. Did that happen here? I don’t know, but it very much looks like it.

Low key LE throughout … you’re right about that. I think it’s been a mixture of small town incompetence but then also them knowing more about our guy, his crowd, and his proclivities. I am from a small town 30 minutes from there and still have lots of family that lives there, in his tiny town. Everyone knows everyone’s business there. Sarah is either naive, which isn’t a slight to her in any way, or she withheld information so as to not let attention wane.

I also found the money grab pretty unsavory. But they live hand to mouth, two incomes or not … there aren’t a ton of good paying jobs in that area. I’d sell the truck too. We all knew he wasn’t coming home alive after about a week. Sarah knew it too.

And ohhhhh JR. JR has unfortunately proven himself to be an opportunist, not wanting to let go of his 15 minutes, and likely with his own demons to grapple with (you know what I mean if you’ve seen him). He holds himself out as an expert and showed Sarah some kindness when she needed it most, so she holds onto him. Everyone can see through him at this point, right?

I have a decent guess as to the answer to the first set of questions. I’ve seen it more than once and can never forget it — he looks like he’s lost 30 pounds. We don’t know he was rational prior to the turn. He may have been deteriorating all evening long. Did that happen here? I don’t know, but it very much looks like it.

Low key LE throughout … you’re right about that. I think it’s been a mixture of small town incompetence but then also them knowing more about our guy, his crowd, and his proclivities. I am from a small town 30 minutes from there and still have lots of family that lives there, in his tiny town. Everyone knows everyone’s business there. Sarah is either naive, which isn’t a slight to her in any way, or she withheld information so as to not let attention wane.

I also found the money grab pretty unsavory. But they live hand to mouth, two incomes or not … there aren’t a ton of good paying jobs in that area. I’d sell the truck too. We all knew he wasn’t coming home alive after about a week. Sarah knew it too.

And ohhhhh JR. JR has unfortunately proven himself to be an opportunist, not wanting to let go of his 15 minutes, and likely with his own demons to grapple with (you know what I mean if you’ve seen him). He holds himself out as an expert and showed Sarah some kindness when she needed it most, so she holds onto him. Everyone can see through him at this point, right?
I did the same "decent guess" when I first saw David's two pics side by side.
I'd almost put a "2nd guess" on JR. Just seem strange it all kicked in at the ramp end.
May be there was that "underlying cause" that was never addressed openly, tho I am sure it was suspected. Thanks for the illumination...

I did the same "decent guess" when I first saw David's two pics side by side.
I'd almost put a "2nd guess" on JR. Just seem strange it all kicked in at the ramp end.
May be there was that "underlying cause" that was never addressed openly, tho I am sure it was suspected. Thanks for the illumination...
100 percent. That was my first clue too.

Frustrating it takes so long for toxicology results but it does. Suspecting there will be an explanation we have been waiting for once finalized.

I still feel so sad for David being in that field for these past 5 months. No matter what or cause of his demise, that is just such an indignity. Why was there not more searches? Everyone said was a mild winter.It is so well known people get missed so why was new searches starting from area last known (where truck was found) and circle out not done? Jakes group even should have done this. They know. I could understand if severe weather prevented all this time, but this was not the case for David.

ADMIN NOTE:

Speculation about death due to drug use is not based on known fact and is not victim friendly.

Unfortunately many images have been removed. All images require a link to source or a visible chyron, otherwise it is a violation of copyright law and the post or image gets removed. Mods don't know the source of pics ... if an image is a photo a member has taken themselves, it must be specified in the post or there is a risk the post or image may be removed.

Anyone know how an autopsy can be fully accomplished without without a body?

Right?
Sounds more like the “second autopsy” will just be an “audit” of the first.

And this, “I don't feel comfortable with the results of the initial autopsy." strikes me strangely every time I read it. The labs/tox screens/final results aren’t even completed yet. What is there to disagree with exactly? And if you’re so “uncomfortable” wouldn’t you want the second opinion to be a completely new assessment of the remains? I’m betting the “audit” is a monetary decision. But in that case, what is the point of doing it at all?

MOO MOO MOO

ETA - Sorry, forgot to add the link. And thanks for posting the info @Onebest!

It just gets weirder. I would want, and hope, a second autopsy would be performed on the actual person, realizing, of course, that once organs are removed or dissected, etc. during the first autopsy that the second autopsy's accuracy can be flawed by the normal sequence of events that had to take place to the body during the first one. Esp as was mentioned above that toxicology results aren't even back yet.

It just gets weirder. I would want, and hope, a second autopsy would be performed on the actual person, realizing, of course, that once organs are removed or dissected, etc. during the first autopsy that the second autopsy's accuracy can be flawed by the normal sequence of events that had to take place to the body during the first one. Esp as was mentioned above that toxicology results aren't even back yet.
Perhaps you need to consider the source and then maybe it wouldn't seem so weird.

From everything Jake has said, I would be really surprised if a second autopsy is ever preformed, with or without a body.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberlynn566
Back