IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red is bike trails on the map - from South of Meyer's Lake to Waterloo loop.

Who knows. I always believed that there was a reason that Lyric and Lizzy parked their bikes against the fence on the secluded section of the trail as they did. It didn't seem random. The bikes weren't dropped, they were parked. Same is true of Libby and Abby, they were intentionally on that bridge at that time.

Why were the girls at the secluded area in the first place? That's the question. Many speculated that Lyric met someone either in person or virtually who invited her for a boat ride on the leech infested lake. Maybe the murderer had a gang of puppies in a paddle boat, or he offered a better Disneyland life, or Lyric was collateral for an unpaid drug debt.

Seems more likely that they rode to that spot intentionally and met someone who, perhaps armed with a gun (as with Libby and Abby), gave them no choice but to do as told. They were taken to a nearby vehicle and driven 20 miles away to where they were assaulted and murdered.

upload_2021-12-28_21-33-41.png

What struck me, and perhaps others, was that this seemed like a double murder from someone who was calculating, someone who had connections to Meyer's Lake 1970s party spot and the body location fishing/hunting/ former week-long outdoor Summer Camp canoeing location from the 1990s.

Going on memory, but I believe it was near the teenage cousin's house. Best I can remember was North end of Waterloo or Cedar Falls. Someone who was posting back then might remember.

@Considering

Cedar Valley Lakes Trail - IIRC, the park that Lyric went to (with her teenage cousin) shortly before she was abducted was this trail, same trail system as Meyer's Lake trail.

View attachment 327847

https://www.cedartrailspartnership.org/2015-Trail-Map-Paved-Trails.PDF

I don't think we anyone said which park that Lyric and KB had been to the day they came back late. If I remember correctly we knew they were in the Greenbrier area of Waterloo and made some guesses as to which park it was. I can't recall the name or names of the parks now.

I don't remember that Lyric and KB met a boy or boys at the park, only that the park was their destination and they were late returning home. Was that speculation on WS or was it stated by someone involved as a fact? I admit to being tired tonight and not wanting to search for my notes on the case and then look through them for the answer.

I wish a friend, neighbor or relative of the perp who has suspicions would talk to the FBI. I think there is someone out there who has kept quiet. Whoever killed these two girls must have been acting unusual the afternoon/evening of July 13, 2012. Maybe he was late coming home that day or late arriving to work that night or acting atypically. Maybe the clothing he was wearing earlier in the day disappeared and was never found, maybe he washed a load of laundry although he never had done laundry before, maybe he was obsessed with this case. There's someone out there who has much needed information but they won't step forward.

Day after day and now year after year, there is no justice for the families of Lyric and Lizzy. How horrible it is for them to know that the girls' murderer could be standing beside them in the grocery store or delivering a pizza to their doors. I can't imagine what their lives are like.

By the time their bodies were found, they would have been nearly skeletonized. Clothing helped confirmed identity.

"On Wednesday, December 5, 2012, their bodies were found by hunters at the Seven Bridges Wildlife Park near Readlyn in Bremer County-a wildlife area approximately 25 miles from where the girls were last seen.

Lyric and Elizabeth were seen at approximately 12:23 P.M. on Friday, July 13, 2012 , and then spotted between 12:30 and 1 P.M. on Gilbert Drive not far from Meyers Lake, a popular fishing and recreation area with about 4,700 residents.

The offender profile concluded, in part, that:
  • The offender is familiar with both Meyers Lake/Angels Park in Evansdale and Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County;
  • The suspect chose Seven Bridges because he or she was familiar with the area and knew it was secluded;
  • The offender blends in with and may be part of the Evansdale, Bremer and surrounding communities;
  • The suspect likely used “quiet coercion” to gain the girls’ compliance into leaving Meyers Lake, using a ruse or threats of violence, and that other possible characteristics include:
  • The suspect may have been experiencing stress related to legal troubles, spousal problems, employment difficulties, financial strain or mental health issues in July 2012;
  • The suspect may avoid discussing the case or showing interest in the matter but is likely following developments in the media;
  • The offender may have attempted to abduct children or adults in the past;
  • Following the disappearance, the suspect may have altered his or her physical appearance, such as changing hair style and facial hair. The offender’s vehicle may also have been altered with a new paint job or re-upholstery.
  • The Courier also reported that “analysts’ experience with prior abduction cases points to one person being involved, but there are cases where more than one person was involved.”
Unsolved: Eights years ago today, the bodies of Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins were discovered

upload_2021-12-28_22-43-59.png

Google Maps

Red is bike trails on the map - from South of Meyer's Lake to Waterloo loop.

Who knows. I always believed that there was a reason that Lyric and Lizzy parked their bikes against the fence on the secluded section of the trail as they did. It didn't seem random. The bikes weren't dropped, they were parked. Same is true of Libby and Abby, they were intentionally on that bridge at that time.

Why were the girls at the secluded area in the first place? That's the question. Many speculated that Lyric met someone either in person or virtually who invited her for a boat ride on the leech infested lake. Maybe the murderer had a gang of puppies in a paddle boat, or he offered a better Disneyland life, or Lyric was collateral for an unpaid drug debt.

Seems more likely that they rode to that spot intentionally and met someone who, perhaps armed with a gun (as with Libby and Abby), gave them no choice but to do as told. They were taken to a nearby vehicle and driven 20 miles away to where they were assaulted and murdered.

View attachment 327849

Dang it, I think I may be coming around to your idea that the cases are connected. I remembered someone from this case who could pass for BG in Libby & Abby’s case.

This maps Lyric 3-days before she was abducted (teenage cousin's house) to abduction location (near younger cousin's house) and body location (20 miles away).

upload_2021-12-28_23-18-4.png

Greenbriar - Lyric's parents called police because Lyric was missing. Three days later, Meyers Lake, bike parked against the fence, parents call police again. Lyric missing.

Bodies found at Seven Bridges County Park 6 months later. Someone asked whether a bridge was included in these murders.

Dang it, I think I may be coming around to your idea that the cases are connected. I remembered someone from this case who could pass for BG in Libby & Abby’s case.

I'm not convinced that they are related, but I do look at the similarities. Fishing location. Bridge. Calculating. Clean. Apparent luring. Staged to mislead (Evansdale). Boots in Delphi?

Open minded

Is there any notable bridges at 7 Bridges Wildlife Area?

It just strikes me that Libby and Abbie were killed at the the Mononn High Bridge which is on a trail in Delphi, Indiana.

2 murders of 2 girls, both with a connection to hiking trails / outdoor recreation areas and both possible connections to bridges.
I've always believed that these two sets of murders were committed by the same perp. I don't have any proof, just a gut feeling that doesn't go away.

I've always believed that these two sets of murders were committed by the same perp. I don't have any proof, just a gut feeling that doesn't go away.

Yeah, me too. Logically I don't see any connection, but from the time I saw the photos of the four girls side by side, my gut won't listen to reason. Abby and Libby could be Lyric and Lizzie five years older.

Now I keep worrying that on the 13th of some month next year (2022), possibly near a holiday, two girls around 19 or 20, one a big blonde and the other a slender not-quite-redhead with attitude, will disappear and be found in a park near a bridge...

I feel the same way my friend. I think of those two beautiful young girls and their families often and wonder what they would be doing now if their lives hadn't been stolen from them in such a viscous manner.
On a lighter note, I'd like to wish you wonderful Christmas. :)

Thank you so much. I hope you and everyone here had a nice Christmas and I wish you all the best for 2022.

Hopefully the tenth anniversary next year will lead to an appeal from law enforcement and or the girl’s families for information in Elizabeth and Lyric’s case. There will likely be some press coverage in the local newspapers and local news in Evansdale and in the state of Iowa . The tenth anniversary will hopefully be reported in some national news outlets as well. I’m sure the murders of Elizabeth and Lyric have not been forgotten locally. It must be absolutely horrendous for their families that the individual responsible for their murders has not been charged or convicted after nearly ten years have passed.

I wonder if law enforcement are getting any tips at all or if they have any useful leads they are following. Surely there must be more that could be done to try and get information that leads to progress in the investigation? I’m not making any criticism of law enforcement by asking this it is just frustrating the case appears to be cold and at a standstill. I appreciate that case is not an easy one to solve. It makes you angry that forensic evidence was likely lost due to the length of time it took to find the girl’s remains and the killer benefited from hiding them in such a remote location.

I'm not convinced the killer of Elizabeth and Lyric is the same as the Delphi killer, but I do see similarities. I don't rule it out either. Indiana SP 1st Sgt Jerry Holeman in his August 2017 interview stated that they discussed this case with Iowa LE. He states they did not see a connection, BUT he qualifies that by stating the state of the bodies of Lyric and Elizabeth means some things can't be determined. He never stated they ruled out a connection either, just that they haven't found one.

I do wonder if there is some indirect connection. That is, the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German is the work of a copycat. That could explain some similarities.

I'm not convinced the killer of Elizabeth and Lyric is the same as the Delphi killer, but I do see similarities. I don't rule it out either. Indiana SP 1st Sgt Jerry Holeman in his August 2017 interview stated that they discussed this case with Iowa LE. He states they did not see a connection, BUT he qualifies that by stating the state of the bodies of Lyric and Elizabeth means some things can't be determined. He never stated they ruled out a connection either, just that they haven't found one.

I do wonder if there is some indirect connection. That is, the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German is the work of a copycat. That could explain some similarities.
There seems to be a sense of duality about these cases, the dates, the girls, even the BG sketches, so- just a thought, speculation, imo. fwiw
Each set of murdered girls might have been perceived as an older/ bigger sister out with a smaller, younger sibling.
Could the perp have some twisted family dynamic that drives him to specifically attack female siblings, or at least those who appear to be sisters?

If it is two different perps, could they be brothers/step bros./cousins/twins, or seen as such by others?

I don’t think Kline killed Abby & Libby and certainly don’t think he’s involved with Elizabeth & Lyric.

The biggest issue with the idea of Lyric being catfished or lured is she didn’t have a phone, she was 10.

I lean more towards the bikes were dumped at the lake and purse thrown over the fence to push the idea that they’d drowned. It’s been a while, but if I remember correctly the last video of them they weren’t even riding toward the lake. You could get to the lake that way but it wasn’t the fastest way and their bikes were there only a couple minutes after being seen on video.

MOO
Maybe his father? Also, MH used to work at a summer camp...

By the time their bodies were found, they would have been nearly skeletonized. Clothing helped confirmed identity.

"On Wednesday, December 5, 2012, their bodies were found by hunters at the Seven Bridges Wildlife Park near Readlyn in Bremer County-a wildlife area approximately 25 miles from where the girls were last seen.

Lyric and Elizabeth were seen at approximately 12:23 P.M. on Friday, July 13, 2012 , and then spotted between 12:30 and 1 P.M. on Gilbert Drive not far from Meyers Lake, a popular fishing and recreation area with about 4,700 residents.

The offender profile concluded, in part, that:
  • The offender is familiar with both Meyers Lake/Angels Park in Evansdale and Seven Bridges Wildlife Area in Bremer County;
  • The suspect chose Seven Bridges because he or she was familiar with the area and knew it was secluded;
  • The offender blends in with and may be part of the Evansdale, Bremer and surrounding communities;
  • The suspect likely used “quiet coercion” to gain the girls’ compliance into leaving Meyers Lake, using a ruse or threats of violence, and that other possible characteristics include:
  • The suspect may have been experiencing stress related to legal troubles, spousal problems, employment difficulties, financial strain or mental health issues in July 2012;
  • The suspect may avoid discussing the case or showing interest in the matter but is likely following developments in the media;
  • The offender may have attempted to abduct children or adults in the past;
  • Following the disappearance, the suspect may have altered his or her physical appearance, such as changing hair style and facial hair. The offender’s vehicle may also have been altered with a new paint job or re-upholstery.
  • The Courier also reported that “analysts’ experience with prior abduction cases points to one person being involved, but there are cases where more than one person was involved.”
Unsolved: Eights years ago today, the bodies of Lyric Cook-Morrissey and Elizabeth Collins were discovered

View attachment 327850

Google Maps

BBM from your post:
The suspect may have been experiencing stress related to legal troubles, spousal problems, employment difficulties, financial strain or mental health issues in July 2012;

I was looking at the correlation recently on something else related to job loss and violent crime. Out of curiosity, I looked at the state labor data for Iowa and found one mass layoff of interest in regards to location and time frame. Beef Products, Inc. of Waterloo let go of 216 employees 5/25/2012. According to Google Maps, the address listed for the meat processing facility was 20 mins to the Seven Bridges area and 11 mins to Meyers Lake.

https://www.iowaworkforcedevelopmen...kforcedevelopment.gov/files/warn_20160210.pdf

Last edited:
Beef production and truckers familiar with both areas?

On the Eastside of Meyers Lake was a high school & older party spot until Highway 20 was built on the Southside of Meyers Lake. I don't recall the exact year - but archival aerial photos were posted in early threads.

Seven Bridges County Park was a Summer Camp with kayaking and outdoor sports. A nearby bridge collapsed or was damaged in a flood, the camp was closed.

I don't remember the years offhand, but, if I had to guess at who did this ...

Seems bold to lure, abduct and murder an 8 and 10 year old as a first time murder, so are there more victims, or is this first timer very bold?

How old is the suspect if he worked at the beef plant, got laid off, attended or knows someone who attended Seven Bridges Summer Camp, and has a parent who grew up near Meyers Lake.

upload_2022-1-17_23-1-12.png

upload_2022-1-17_23-11-53.png

Google Maps

BBM from your post:
The suspect may have been experiencing stress related to legal troubles, spousal problems, employment difficulties, financial strain or mental health issues in July 2012;

I was looking at the correlation recently on something else related to job loss and violent crime. Out of curiosity, I looked at the state labor data for Iowa and found one mass layoff of interest in regards to location and time frame. Beef Products, Inc. of Waterloo let go of 216 employees 5/25/2012. According to Google Maps, the address listed for the meat processing facility was 20 mins to the Seven Bridges area and 11 mins to Meyers Lake.

https://www.iowaworkforcedevelopmen...kforcedevelopment.gov/files/warn_20160210.pdf

I love that you looked into this. But I feel like maybe thats too long after a lay-off to act out, since its a month and a half? Obviously I have no idea, but did you find any other layoffs in the time? Like maybe something really soon after? Maybe the perpetrator knew they were about to be laid off and then committed the murders?

Ive said this before

An Overwhelming number of child killers return to the body recovery site usually within 48 hours after leaving the victim(s) there, many do subsequently until a state of decomposition, and even after that .

Ill stress again that LE should push as much as possible to find anyone who saw persons or vehicles in the general vicinity where the girls were recovered, from the time they were reported missing up until until the time of recovery,

I know its a large span of time, but it appears other avenues have stalled.

And though its a long shot , perhaps scrutinize security footage on roads near that area to see if theres a similar vehicle traversing the area regularly, it may be nothing..... but it may be something.

Especially if a similar vehicle is familiar to those in the area where the girls lived it may be more than coincidence .

Im willing to bet this individual has returned to those girls bodies , and probably more than once, may have even returned to the scene after they were discovered, and may have even helped look for them while they were missing, I also state again he was probably interviewed by police already.

Somebody out there has suspicions or knows something, they just aren't coming forward

Ive said this before

An Overwhelming number of child killers return to the body recovery site usually within 48 hours after leaving the victim(s) there, many do subsequently until a state of decomposition, and even after that .

Ill stress again that LE should push as much as possible to find anyone who saw persons or vehicles in the general vicinity where the girls were recovered, from the time they were reported missing up until until the time of recovery,

I know its a large span of time, but it appears other avenues have stalled.

And though its a long shot , perhaps scrutinize security footage on roads near that area to see if theres a similar vehicle traversing the area regularly, it may be nothing..... but it may be something.

Especially if a similar vehicle is familiar to those in the area where the girls lived it may be more than coincidence .

Im willing to bet this individual has returned to those girls bodies , and probably more than once, may have even returned to the scene after they were discovered, and may have even helped look for them while they were missing, I also state again he was probably interviewed by police already.

Somebody out there has suspicions or knows something, they just aren't coming forward
I agree with where you are coming from and I would consider going one step further and using analytical skills by a trained analyst to look at the data dump of all the cell phone numbers utilising the masts in the area
( setting parameters from a couple of weeks before the abduction all the way through to the girls being found) which will run into thousands but it would be easy to write a computer programme to pick out cell phone numbers from the data dump that have been in the area of abduction and the area of body deposition more than once . An analyst would be able to chart how many of the thousands of cell phone numbers passing through the two areas using the timeframe parameters detailed above , were in both areas and see of those that were in each area more than once , looking at what date and time so that regular people going between home and work for example, can be filtered out . Other filters can also be applied accordingly when compared to the intelligence that LE already has and that will significantly reduce the hits until you have a select number that cross reference both the abduction site and deposition site and once the girls are found, the number tails off and is not prolific in the area from there on in. That way you can have a starting block of cell phone numbers and their owners that you can rule out. It’s not as mammoth a task as first appears when utilising a specific programme designed to weed out the irrelevant numbers when looking at days and times of occurrence and then potentially stopping once girls are found . DYKWIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125