IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

There's a new podcast, #24, up at findjodi.com, pretty interesting, concerning eyewitnesses who saw a guy lingering in parking lots, as well as vehicles... JH had been trailed, and received obscene calls. Was she taken by a stalker?

I recently watched some old news and tv program coverage about this case from years ago. I had heard of it in passing before, but never got a chance to learn any of the details about it. I am not going to summarize the story behind what happened to Jodi Huisentruit. There are numerous tv and news segments about it. She was an anchorwoman for the local news in Mason City, IA who disappeared on the morning of June 27, 1995 while walking out to her car at approximately a little after 4 am. She was living in an apartment complex at the time.

The part I found sort of interesting was Jodi Huisentruit's red Mazda Miata. That is important because she had only gotten this car in the past few weeks. Jodi was reported missing rather quickly, at approximately 7:15 am after she did not show up for work. When police arrived they found her belongings scattered and trailing away from her car. A bent car key was nearby indicating that someone probably came up from behind and grabbed her while she was trying to get into her car. While trying to fight off this attacker she dropped a lot of items. It is thought a white van was parked in the lot and that is where Jodi was dragged off to.

Once I actually saw the layout of where Jodi's car was parked in combination with the apartment complex door she probably would have come out of to get to her car, I could understand why so many people think she was being stalked. My guestimate is that once she appeared in view to the abductor, he would have had no more than many 15 seconds to get to her and grab her. It looks like it would only take 15 seconds(and maybe less) for her to walk out of the apartment to the car door. We also have to remember it was dark outside and that apartment lighting would also be important.

The other interesting aspect of this case is that on the morning Jodi Huisentruit was abducted, she was running late for work. This person waited for her.

There are some persons of interest and they all seem suspicious. There is an older man who seemed to have an interest in Jodi. She was at his home the night before her abduction to watch a video of a birthday party friends had for her. Another woman claimed this man had a decent alibi as he took her on a walk the morning of Jodi's abduction, but not until around 6 am. This woman believes this is too little time for him to commit the crime. There was another man who went to prison who lived only a few blocks from the station where Jodi worked. He seemed interesting as it is claimed he made a rap song about abducting and murdering a reporter. In the rap song, he talked about a body being buried near a silo in another small town in Iowa. When police sent cadaver dogs to the location, two of the dogs hit on the presence of human remains although none were actually found.

The part I never heard anything about were the other tenants who lived in Jodi Huisentruit's apartment building. I would want to make sure it was not one of them.

If you took a stopwatch and timed how long it takes from the abduction item of Jodi Huisentruit's found furthest from her car to the Mazda Miata car door, how many seconds would that be? How long would it take for someone to appear out of the doorway at the apartment complex and walk to the car door of the Mazda Miata? I think this would give a good idea of approximately how far the individual was from Jodi Huisentruit when they first saw her and started walking towards her to commit the abduction.

I would knock on all the apartment doors above, below, and on each side of her apartment to see if everyone was there the morning of the abduction. Finally I would want to take pictures of the apartment parking lot every day at approximately the same time as the abduction for the next week to see which cars park in which spaces. Then compare that to the picture of the parking lot taken on the morning of her abduction.

This case is almost as old as Jodi Huisentruit was when she went missing. Jodi Huisentruit had reported that someone may have been stalking her, leading up to her disappearance. Maybe it was an unknown stalker?

It sounds like police tried to do whatever they could to find Jodi Huisentruit, but never had any solids leads or eyewitness statements. It could literally be anyone of the thousands of viewers who watched the local news in the Mason City, Iowa area.

I recently watched some old news and tv program coverage about this case from years ago. I had heard of it in passing before, but never got a chance to learn any of the details about it. I am not going to summarize the story behind what happened to Jodi Huisentruit. There are numerous tv and news segments about it. She was an anchorwoman for the local news in Mason City, IA who disappeared on the morning of June 27, 1995 while walking out to her car at approximately a little after 4 am. She was living in an apartment complex at the time.

The part I found sort of interesting was Jodi Huisentruit's red Mazda Miata. That is important because she had only gotten this car in the past few weeks. Jodi was reported missing rather quickly, at approximately 7:15 am after she did not show up for work. When police arrived they found her belongings scattered and trailing away from her car. A bent car key was nearby indicating that someone probably came up from behind and grabbed her while she was trying to get into her car. While trying to fight off this attacker she dropped a lot of items. It is thought a white van was parked in the lot and that is where Jodi was dragged off to.

Once I actually saw the layout of where Jodi's car was parked in combination with the apartment complex door she probably would have come out of to get to her car, I could understand why so many people think she was being stalked. My guestimate is that once she appeared in view to the abductor, he would have had no more than many 15 seconds to get to her and grab her. It looks like it would only take 15 seconds(and maybe less) for her to walk out of the apartment to the car door. We also have to remember it was dark outside and that apartment lighting would also be important.

The other interesting aspect of this case is that on the morning Jodi Huisentruit was abducted, she was running late for work. This person waited for her.

There are some persons of interest and they all seem suspicious. There is an older man who seemed to have an interest in Jodi. She was at his home the night before her abduction to watch a video of a birthday party friends had for her. Another woman claimed this man had a decent alibi as he took her on a walk the morning of Jodi's abduction, but not until around 6 am. This woman believes this is too little time for him to commit the crime. There was another man who went to prison who lived only a few blocks from the station where Jodi worked. He seemed interesting as it is claimed he made a rap song about abducting and murdering a reporter. In the rap song, he talked about a body being buried near a silo in another small town in Iowa. When police sent cadaver dogs to the location, two of the dogs hit on the presence of human remains although none were actually found.

The part I never heard anything about were the other tenants who lived in Jodi Huisentruit's apartment building. I would want to make sure it was not one of them.

If you took a stopwatch and timed how long it takes from the abduction item of Jodi Huisentruit's found furthest from her car to the Mazda Miata car door, how many seconds would that be? How long would it take for someone to appear out of the doorway at the apartment complex and walk to the car door of the Mazda Miata? I think this would give a good idea of approximately how far the individual was from Jodi Huisentruit when they first saw her and started walking towards her to commit the abduction.

I would knock on all the apartment doors above, below, and on each side of her apartment to see if everyone was there the morning of the abduction. Finally I would want to take pictures of the apartment parking lot every day at approximately the same time as the abduction for the next week to see which cars park in which spaces. Then compare that to the picture of the parking lot taken on the morning of her abduction.

This case is almost as old as Jodi Huisentruit was when she went missing. Jodi Huisentruit had reported that someone may have been stalking her, leading up to her disappearance. Maybe it was an unknown stalker?

It sounds like police tried to do whatever they could to find Jodi Huisentruit, but never had any solids leads or eyewitness statements. It could literally be anyone of the thousands of viewers who watched the local news in the Mason City, Iowa area.
I do think JH was clearly being actively stalked/harassed at the time of her disappearance, and that the stalker was likely her abductor. Was the stalker a stranger, or someone she knew, such as perhaps JV or the guy that sold her the Miata

I do think JH was clearly being actively stalked/harassed at the time of her disappearance, and that the stalker was likely her abductor. Was the stalker a stranger, or someone she knew, such as perhaps JV or the guy that sold her the Miata

Unless someone finally confesses or the police get a hot tip, I don't think this case will be solved. I still believe JV to be the abducter/killer in this case, but there surely are other possibilities.

Who'd been placing the obscene phone calls, leading JH to state that she was going to change her phone number? Who was heard pounding on JH's door like the day before she went missing? Who drank the beer from the cans left in JH's apt? Who apparently lingered in the Key Apts. lot that morn, waiting until JH departed, rather late, for work? Who raced out of the Key Apts. lot that morn at around 4:35am in a 'late-model sedan' nearly striking a jogger? Had JH been knocked unconscious and wrestled into that vehicle?

What ever came of private investigator Steve Ridge's assertion last year that he'd learned 'previously unknown details about the purchase of the Mazda Miata'? And what are those details and what might their significance be?

And what ever came of Ridge's prior assertion that someone destroyed evidence in the case back in '95, evidence that could potentially have led to resolution of the case? And Ridge's contention that "due to some circumstances that I can't disclose yet, [JV] was not able to be seen with [his girlfriend at the time] in public?

Would this case have been solved had detectives not fixated almost immediately on JV?

Last edited:
Can you identify these people?
jodi-friends-pizza-600x363-jpg.268409

A year or so ago, investigators associated with findjodi.com were informed that group photos showing JH eating/drinking with individuals, one of whom looked very much like Dustin Honken, were taken while JH was studying overseas in Europe, presumably some time around 1990 or so. On that basis, it was concluded that the photos did not link JH with mass-murderer DH. Interestingly, in the photo linked above, the five individuals are enjoying a Domino's pizza - while in Europe. Domino's of course is US-based. A quick search shows that Dominos opened its first store in the UK in 1985, but didn't get into other countries such as Germany until much later - 2010. In which countries did JH study/travel in Europe? When this photo was taken, was she in a country in which there was a Dominos franchise?

Last edited:
Until I saw some tv shows about this investigation, I thought it was a basic stranger abduction of a reporter who happened to be walking out to her car to go to work. The details surrounding the disappearance are interesting. Each of the persons of interest seem plausible, but so does anyone who may have had a fascination with this news anchor who watched her on the local news.

This is the type of case where doing a re-creation of the actual crime scene would be interesting. At around 4 to 4:30 am in the morning, it would be sort of surprising if the abductor would have ran towards her from behind to abduct her. I think she may have heard him if that happened and turned around. We can almost theorize the abduction happened as she was trying to open her car door because of the bent car key. Would Jodi have been able to see someone walking towards her with her peripheral vision as she was walking out to get in her car?

If someone plans to abduct a woman in a vehicle, wouldn't it be smartest to have the abduction vehicle closest to the victim's car too? From news and tv reports it is hard to tell exactly how far Jodi's items were scattered away from her car. The first empty parking space closest to where Jodi's last item was dropped from her car would be important in this regard.

I imagine police checked out each resident and their vehicles at the apartment complex back in June 1995. Did they feel the hoods of the cars sitting in the parking lot to get an idea of who may have left and returned that morning? Did they have all the residents turn on the lights nearest their windows facing the parking lot to see what it looks like at night? Maybe the abductor did not worry about witnesses because he thought everyone was sleeping?

All of this is hindsight of a case that happened in June 1995. There is no evidence it was another tenant at her apartment complex, but that is what I would have wanted to make sure of because sometimes the answer is a simple one.

Its very obvious that LE feels JVS is the #1 POI with them securing GPS data on his two vehicles in 2017 and having him come to IA (from his home in AZ) to give DNA samples. Also the incident Amy Kuns had with JVS in a laundry mat approx. two weeks after JH's abduction is very telling IMHO.

Its very obvious that LE feels JVS is the #1 POI with them securing GPS data on his two vehicles in 2017 and having him come to IA (from his home in AZ) to give DNA samples. Also the incident Amy Kuns had with JVS in a laundry mat approx. two weeks after JH's abduction is very telling IMHO.
What incident? Do you have a link for it?

LE clearly considers JVS a POI but not necessarily the only POI.

So I'm just tossing this out there. IMO, if it was someone close to Jodi that knew her and she was familiar with, would they need to "kidnap" her at her car while leaving for work? Literally grabbing her and fleeing? Risking being seen that morning in the parking lot.....
If they knew her and had bad intentions, why not arrange to meet her somewhere or pick her up voluntarily?
Seems like a stalker Jodi did not know...

Amy discussed her unsettling encounter w/ JV during her interview on the below podcast:

Podcast 018: Amy Kuns | Find Jodi Huisentruit

So I'm just tossing this out there. IMO, if it was someone close to Jodi that knew her and she was familiar with, would they need to "kidnap" her at her car while leaving for work? Literally grabbing her and fleeing? Risking being seen that morning in the parking lot.....
If they knew her and had bad intentions, why not arrange to meet her somewhere or pick her up voluntarily?
Seems like a stalker Jodi did not know...
I agree 100%. Jodi reported being followed by a truck that she apparently did not recognize. I think that she would have recognized any vehicle connected to JVS, which is one reason why he is low on my list of suspects.

I agree 100%. Jodi reported being followed by a truck that she apparently did not recognize. I think that she would have recognized any vehicle connected to JVS, which is one reason why he is low on my list of suspects.

said "stalker" also was in her apt and used her bathroom (re leaving the toilet set up) prior to the abduction

said "stalker" also was in her apt and used her bathroom (re leaving the toilet set up) prior to the abduction
Now you're stating your opinion as fact.

IF Jodi had a guest the night before, there's no reason to believe that that guest was the one stalking her, nor is there any evidence that that guest was involved in Jodi's disappearance.

A plausible scenario is that Jodi's stalker waited for the guest to leave and then pounced.

Jodi very well could have had a male over for the evening or overnight.
I also have a habit of forgetting to put the toilet seat down after cleaning it....and I'm a female.
IMO, I think the scene mimics abduction.
Years ago, I had an incident happen at my apartment while I was at work. Living on the third floor and having an attic above me, I came home to find peep holes through out my ceiling..noticed because there was white paint chip flakes on my carpet. It turned out to be a maintenance man.
This could have been someone in Jodi's complex or possibly an obsessed news fan.
And no body discovered for 26 years....long time!!

Jodi very well could have had a male over for the evening or overnight.
I also have a habit of forgetting to put the toilet seat down after cleaning it....and I'm a female.
IMO, I think the scene mimics abduction.
Years ago, I had an incident happen at my apartment while I was at work. Living on the third floor and having an attic above me, I came home to find peep holes through out my ceiling..noticed because there was white paint chip flakes on my carpet. It turned out to be a maintenance man.
This could have been someone in Jodi's complex or possibly an obsessed news fan.
And no body discovered for 26 years....long time!!

Wait, a maintenance man was in your apartment and drilled peep holes into the floor of the attic above you? How was he caught? Was he punished?

I can't believe this case hasn't been solved. I first got interested in it back when it happened as I was going into broadcast journalism myself. It was always on my mind and I always suspected it was an obsessed fan before I learned more about the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michkrifred
Back