IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Mason City, 27 June 1995 - Anchorwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of interesting how many years it has taken for this information about law enforcement people perhaps involved to come out. Maybe there was talk about it under the surface for some time.

I'm recently come to this case, spent the past two days reading everything I could find, all over the net. Fascinating. Utterly fascinating.

Really interesting and frightening.

Somehow we tend to think policemen are all honest. Reference the MN Strike Force which was shut down in 2009 because of corruption. Officers would stop vehicles, take money, take cars, take other things for their personal use. Much of this has not been recovered.

http://www.startribune.com/projects/47792482.html

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/fo...2-d50f-11e0-93d7-001cc4c002e0.html?mode=story

Snipped...

Interesting... From this article.

"Ohl is a member of Christian Fellowship Church which earlier this year was awarded nearly $85,000 in a settlement of a suit against the city, Lashbrook and Lt. Logan Wernet. It was filed by The Rev. Shane Philpott, church pastor.

The suit claimed both Lashbrook and Wernet made damaging remarks about the church.

The remarks allegedly led to an Internal Revenue Service investigation of the church's financial records. The IRS cleared Philpott and the church of any wrongdoing."

Really interesting and frightening.

Somehow we tend to think policemen are all honest. Reference the MN Strike Force which was shut down in 2009 because of corruption. Officers would stop vehicles, take money, take cars, take other things for their personal use. Much of this has not been recovered.

http://www.startribune.com/projects/47792482.html

Let's not forget the Phil policeman who 'allegedly' raped a woman in the back of the squad car while on duty.
http://philadelphiacriminallawnews....e-keith-corley-charged-in-squad-car-rape.html

wow-this case is heating up,hope we have some answers soon to what happened to Jodi,I can not think of a motive other than a crazed stalker!

Someone posted yesterday on the findjodi.com website that 15 years ago when he was a kid, he found a briefcase in a stream about 20 ft from a major highway. Inside the briefcase was a journalist/reporter ID badge with a blonde woman on it. He claims to have given it to his friend's dad, who then threw it/them away. (unsure if he means both the briefcase AND badge)
He has reported it to the website's tipline, and also said he was going to go back out there and look around. He had never heard of Jodi's case until recently. The stream is in in Minnesota, about 3 hours from Mason City.

I noticed today on findjodi.com, this was posted:
http://www.findjodi.com/2011-news-archive/172-chief-is-sorry-officers-were-maligned

This case just becomes stranger. I don't know what to believe. My theory is this A) Former Officer Maria Ohl is a disgruntled employee who is very upset that she was fired/let go, B) Is telling the truth about those officers but to save face the Mason City PD is covering up something by making Ohl's accusations seem absurd, C) None of the above are true and someone else harmed Jodi. Imo, you could look at this case as 'sure those officers could have done something to Jodi due to the fact that this case has yet to be solved' or 'former officer Maria Ohl is bat ***** crazy (because that is the way the article makes her sound) and wanted to stir the pot because she was fired'. Personally, I don't know what to believe, because if those officers were involved some how in Jodi's disappearance, I don't think anyone would ever know. I believe Jodi disappeared at the hands of someone she knew or was familiar with her or even a stalker since she was apparently late for work and I doubt any crazed person would haphazardly stumble upon Jodi leaving for work and just randomly abduct her. I think someone was lying in wait for Jodi and once they saw their chance, they took it.

http://www.keyc.tv/story/16025148/jodi-huisentruit-cold-case-revisited-by-author

Posted: Nov 12, 2011 1:13 PM Updated: Nov 12, 2011 2:59 PM
By Mallory Peebles, News Reporter

Jodi Huisentruit Cold Case Revisited by Author

A news anchor who disappeared in 1995 is still very much on the mind of an author and former TV reporter who is now promoting her book about the case- Dead Air: The Disappearance of Jodi Huisentruit.

I'll probably read this one when our library gets a copy.

This case makes me so sad. Jodi was so lovely, ambitious, and full of life. I used to live about 200 miles away from Mason City, and I know that when this happened, even female news anchors in my area were extremely on-edge. Being in the public eye, people out there can become "obsessed", and I think that could be what happened here.
Mason City is small, with only about 28,000 and is the typical small Midwestern city. Things like this just don't happen everyday.
I found an article from June 2010 in the Sioux City Journal, that I don't believe has been posted before:

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/new...1-2925-5b26-867e-98df7e01033a.html?mode=story

The Tony D. Jackson and John Vansice links are interesting, along with the suspicious white van in the area. I really hope Jackson and Vansice were fully investigated. Vansice passed a lie detector test, but those are not 100% accurate.

I'll have to look into the LE links some more, that were stated before. I really hope there isn't any actual links.

Police departments, like Mason City, aren't extremely familiar with cases like this. I wonder if the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation was brought in? Does anyone know the criteria for bringing in the FBI?

I saw an episode about news anchors who had deadly stalkers on 48 hours. It really is a dangerous job. They said that about 80% of news anchors have stalkers, because they are local celebrities. I believe someone fantasized about Jodi, and stalked her forawhile. I wonder if she ever reported a stalker or if she had creepy letters/incidents/emails?
I believe she was held captive, but not for this long, it is likely she is gone. Possibly in a river nearby Mason City? It could explain her not being found.

who were their suspects? any links with this info?

I will post the link to findjodi.com, click on the forum section and scroll through that, there is a thread that is titled 'cornseed guy', he was investigated but they could never charge him with Jodi's disappearance.
http://www.findjodi.com/component/fireboard/?func=view&catid=2&id=374

That is the direct link to the thread and it talks about John VanSice. He was the last known person to be seen with Jodi however it was never proven that he did any harm to Jodi. If you peruse through findjodi.com, there is alot of information about the case, such as the Huseintruit Files, it's a documentary about Jodi's disappearance.

Thanks Ozzie!
Yes, a lot to sift through, but Jodi's case is near and dear to me since it's not far from me. I remember a set of remains were found not far from Mason City, and everyone tuned in on the TV for hours on end waiting to see if it was her, as they had a scroll on the bottom of the screen giving updates. It wasn't her, (that poor family, agonized over nothing). I didn't want it to be, but I wanted closure, especially for her mother.
I am planning on reading Dead Air about Jodi's abduction.

I too would like to read Dead Air. I seen it at borders before they closed and now it's B.A.M (Books A Million) and I haven't been in to check to see if they have it. I know Barnes and Nobles does not, they have it electronically.

I too would like to read Dead Air. I seen it at borders before they closed and now it's B.A.M (Books A Million) and I haven't been in to check to see if they have it. I know Barnes and Nobles does not, they have it electronically.
This book sounds promising

If you do a Google Search on "Dead Air Jodi Huisentruit", you can find the book on Amazon for about $16. I wasn't sure if I could post a link to it or not. I'm going to go ahead and order a copy.

Dead Air is a great book. Fascinating, to say the least...yet sad. I downloaded it on my iPad for around $10. I highly recommend reading it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaBN1