Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. It could be nothing. But it would be good to know either way.
I agree on it possibly being nothing, but in a town of less than 1500 people, I would guess there are not many burglaries - so to have a burglary and a possible abduction in the same week would be very rare. I think it's coincidental enough to try to dig into farther.

Unless it is a direct quote form LE, based on the awful reporting to date in this case, we cannot be certain. Other reports indicated her Fitbit last pinged in the area and that is why they have been searching there.
Is this the same area where cadaver dogs were taken ? TIA to anyone who might know. If so, and the dogs hit, an arrest might be on the way. Not just because of cadaver dog, but other info LE has collected. jmo

What do you mean?
No problem.. meaning why hasn't FBI and LE been able to question him/search/investigate 1-2 times... we are on to # 3 now ??? Like he has outsmarted everyone while he continues to be compliant with their requests and continues to give interviews and talk to the press freely. While the Father is saying it could have been a known person she got into the car with?? Doesn't seems like the father's statements are parallel with LE and their statements to the public.

So it continues to appear that Mollie didn't make it home after her run. I've been on the map site and it doesn't seem there is a route for her run that day. I haven't read anywhere where they specifically gave her route, did anyone else read anything?
LE is not releasing that.

Mollie's dad is quoted as saying that she may have gotten into a car willingly, and that the person she got into the car with perhaps misinterpreted the nature of their relationship and then made a horrible mistake.

Dad is then on camera saying something along the lines of the longer they don't find her body, the more hopeful they are that she is alive.
My apologies if my post didn't make sense. It was in context to why WC would say he knew nothing about Brooklyn, Mollie, etc - and then offer that a man took her.

It is interesting to hear Mr Tibbetts say perhaps Mollie voluntarily got into a vehicle with someone she knew.

It reminds me of the earliest new articles asking the public in Utah to be on the lookout for her.

"IRON COUNTY, Utah — Police in southern Utah are asking the public to be on the lookout for a missing Iowa woman who they say has family connections in southern Utah."

"The Iron County Sheriff’s Office says they don’t know if Tibbetts is in Utah but they say she has family connections in Southern Utah, and they ask anyone who sees the woman to call their local police agency."

JULY 23, 2018
Police in southern Utah ask residents to be on lookout for missing Iowa woman

This also gives credence to the possibility that it is a voluntary absence. Utah seems random - making me wonder if her online data led there. I hope her dad is correct.
I read in MSM a week or so ago that the reason (or one reason) LE was asking for people to be on the lookout for Mollie in Utah is because she has "family" there. Sorry I can't find the link that stated that specifically - maybe it was updated/edited from the article/new story on MSM because proven inaccurate.

Looking for her in Utah could be based on online data lead, no one knows how tips lead to 'leads' that lead to LE reaching out to the public. LE could just have been putting feelers out because a tip or two (out of hundreds received to vet) couldn't be confirmed as valuable, and they were pinging the public to help discredit or confirm whether Mollie had left Iowa and was in Utah.

Everyone (smile) wanted an expert on body language to analyze WC's. Here ya go: Mollie Tibbetts Mystery: Body language expert analyzes hog farmer’s interview, says he’s nervous and shows deception

Not sure what it is worth. WC has to be nervous, with all the LE and MSM attention, who would not be a little anxious.

Since the deception was detected during that particular interview (the reporter never asked him directly if he's responsible for MT's disappearance) it could easily be related to the "I don't remember what they asked me" response. LE may have suggested he not reveal what was asked or he's embarrassed by or simply does not want to reveal content.

Last edited:
I’m curious as to why some believe she’s alive and being held. Is it due to lack of any evidence? Usually when LE starts searching fields, it’s to find a body. Curious.

I am not leaning that way myself, but I cannot fault others that are. For all of us, the hope is that she is still alive somewhere.

Hi all, Just throwing out my 2 cents since there haven't been any new developments.
I took a close look at the map which shows the path from her BF's house to her mom's.
All this time people keep mentioning what a rural town it is, but I live in a rural farming town where there is significant acreage between each house and country roads with farmland running up to the edge. I've been picturing this and thinking sure, anyone could drive along and grab her without being seen.
In looking at the map of Brooklyn, it may be rural, but it looks like the areas she would have been running were along streets with houses and a school, churches, and stores, etc. It does not look like rural country roads to me, just small town roads. Does anyone know her running route? Most of the blocks have at least 3-4 houses on them, which also surprises me that more sightings of her on that day have not been mentioned. This also leads me to think maybe she did get in a car with someone she knows rather than being forced, but I do not think this was a preplanned disappearance on her part.

As for Mr. WC, I think he became a focus because one of her devices last pinged near him, but that could be her fit bit or phone being thrown into a field near his house, or destroyed in that area, it does not necessarily make him the target. In fact, I think he's either being used by LE to throw off another suspect, or they're trying to scare him into slipping up.

What about this part...
Tibbetts added that he believes Mollie and whoever is with her "don't know how to resolve this," but encouraged anyone with information "to come forward and bring Mollie home."

BBM...so Mollie too? Both of them got into this and don't know how to get out? Is that how you're all taking it?

If dad thinks she got in the car with someone she knows and didn't realize his intent - could it be a parent of one of the day care kids? Someone she would know but never expect them to have an interest in her. Just thinking that a parent would be intimidating to her - she would probably be uncomfortable but not scared. Just my opinion

Possible. There are other people she might feel comfortable enough to hop in a car with, too. What about a fellow student from college? A former teacher she may have had? A former cross country running coach? A neighbor? A friend's dad? A police officer? However, this would mean that they have her captive or did something worse quickly because they are currently able to carry out their normal day to day activities without suspicion. If they were in hiding with her, they too would be reported missing.

The problem with that theory is that no one was supposed to pick her up. She was supposed to get her car from her mother's home the previous night, and drive herself to work. So if that plan changed, and that was why she didn't get the car, it would have had to change between the time her family thought she was on the way over for dinner and to get the car until the time she was picked up in the morning. A rough guess - at 5 pm her family still thought she was getting the car and coming for dinner. So it would be pretty easy to find who she set up a ride with after 5 pm using social media activity or phone records.
Except that I believe the text about dinner was a fair bit later then 5:00, and unless I have missed it, I have never seen anything that shows that she made “plans” to go for dinner. What I saw was that she asked what was for dinner, mom answered “brats” and Mollie responded “OK”. This is not a plan for dinner, this is a question of what the menu is. That’s it. Could be the way they made plans, or they could have even made plans earlier, but that is all that I have seen on the matter, which is not enough to say that they had plans.

I haven't followed the case for a few days. Probably missed a few updates. Not feeling particularly welcome here today - scared to comment on something you talked about this morning while I was eating breakfast.

jmo
Heck, we're all after the same thing here -- a good and happy ending for Mollie, her family and the folks in Iowa. Some of us are at home, some at work, so some of us can keep up with things more easily and more often.
I think there are more than a few who aren't up-to-date. Further, not much has really happened in the last several days.
All of us wishing for a good ending of this case. Just ask -- chances are good that someone or "sometwo" might also want to know! ;)

Mollie described as creature of habit. I believe her route(s) predicted from her device history studied by LE.

Regarding being described as a creature of habit, in The Gazette (which now requires a paid subscription) her mom, Laura Calderwood states that that she did not have a specific route. "She liked to mix it up."

No problem.. meaning why hasn't FBI and LE been able to question him/search/investigate 1-2 times... we are on to # 3 now ??? Like he has outsmarted everyone while he continues to be compliant with their requests and continues to give interviews and talk to the press freely. While the Father is saying it could have been a known person she got into the car with?? Doesn't seems like the father's statements are parallel with LE and their statements to the public.

If I am mistaken please correct me, but I think visit number 2 boiled down to a request for a polygraph (denied) and a request for a subsequent visit on Sunday. And the Sunday visit was 5-10 minutes. These weren't multi hour grillings by good cop-bad cop.

I agree on it possibly being nothing, but in a town of less than 1500 people, I would guess there are not many burglaries - so to have a burglary and a possible abduction in the same week would be very rare. I think it's coincidental enough to try to dig into farther.

It wasn't the same week - the burglary incident was in June.

On the police log posted on 6/17/18 it lists a response to a burglary call just up the road from the BF house on W Des Moines on 6/16/18. Does anybody know what the outcome of that call was? Was it resolved?

Regarding the speculation that someone may be keeping MT somewhere - one of the go-to speeches LE gives at pressers in these types of scenerios is the ol' "Check on your friends" speech. Similar messages like, "do any of your friends seem 'off' lately, anyone following unusual schedules". I certainly may have missed it, but has anyone heard this type of verbage from the pressers yet?

I may have missed it, but I haven't heard any of that type of thing, and I've been trying to watch for. Or, who missed work, has been acting different, been cleaning the car obsessively, has scratches on his arms, is paying obsessive attention to the case.... *looks around WS suspiciously*

Seriously, I don't understand why we aren't hearing this. They can't be so naive that they think everyone is already familiar with this sort of thimg, can they?

The problem with that theory is that no one was supposed to pick her up. She was supposed to get her car from her mother's home the previous night, and drive herself to work. So if that plan changed, and that was why she didn't get the car, it would have had to change between the time her family thought she was on the way over for dinner and to get the car until the time she was picked up in the morning. A rough guess - at 5 pm her family still thought she was getting the car and coming for dinner. So it would be pretty easy to find who she set up a ride with after 5 pm using social media activity or phone records.

I have been assuming this was the case, but don't think we know this for sure. I've been keeping up with these threads the best I can, but I don't recall anything definitive about how she was getting to work.

Except that I believe the text about dinner was a fair bit later then 5:00, and unless I have missed it, I have never seen anything that shows that she made “plans” to go for dinner. What I saw was that she asked what was for dinner, mom answered “brats” and Mollie responded “OK”. This is not a plan for dinner, this is a question of what the menu is. That’s it. Could be the way they made plans, or they could have even made plans earlier, but that is all that I have seen on the matter, which is not enough to say that they had plans.

I thought in an interview early on, though, her mom said she was left with the impression that Mollie was coming over for dinner, and was surprised when she didn't show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indigomari