Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the sake of argument, let's say she got hit by a vehicle. Occupant(s) is 'put' in the position that it would be less dangerous to throw MT in the trunk than it would be to call LE (driver has a record, etc.). Driver/occupant- by necessity now- have to take the chance of abducting an injured or deceased 20 year old, because to do otherwise, in their book, would be to run an even bigger risk of harm to themselves. Driver might be local, might not. Likely local to Iowa, I'd say.

I'd also say that at that level in the game of whatever criminal enterprise the driver's in, he/she knows the contingencies. He's thought several steps ahead. He knows what he'd have to do if such a scenario ever unfolded. He knows because he's thought it through, just in case. That night, the case came, and he did it.

Let's say, hypothetically, someone I know in Des Moines had their own meth lab. Accidents happen, no matter how carefully you cook. He thought ahead. The day came. With substantial burns on his body (later treated at UIHC), he still managed to fire up the grill & throw frozen meat on the kitchen counter. He took the vodka out of the freezer then chugged. LE arrived to find a drunk man in the midst of an very unfortunate barbeque mishap. He's so drunk, all he can do is repeat, "I was gonna cook the ribs, it blew up". But before LE pulls up, he's already gotten rid of the beakers & chemicals, every last trace, in a trash bin across the street.

Why? Because he thought it through. He knew what he'd have to do, & he did it. Did he see prison *again*? No. No he didn't. He wasn't going back for a life sentence this time. He was sure of that, oh yeah.

What type of criminal activities and who the local players are- if this was not a SK or stalker- is what I am, at this point, interested learning more about.

I agree 100 percent. Especially that is directed to someone who knows perp. They must know or suspect something. Maybe they at not quite sure and dont think it could be true or don't want it to be true... and are scared to death to come forward.

Right, especially if it's someone's boyfriend or husband. Plus, what if this person is abusive? They probably fear retaliation.

For the sake of argument, let's say she got hit by a vehicle. Occupant(s) is 'put' in the position that it would be less dangerous to throw MT in the trunk than it would be to call LE (driver has a record, etc.). Driver/occupant- by necessity now- have to take the chance of abducting an injured or deceased 20 year old, because to do otherwise, in their book, would be to run an even bigger risk of harm to themselves. Driver might be local, might not. Likely local to Iowa, I'd say.

I'd also say that at that level in the game of whatever criminal enterprise the driver's in, he/she knows the contingencies. He's thought several steps ahead. He knows what he'd have to do if such a scenario ever unfolded. He knows because he's thought it through, just in case. That night, the case came, and he did it.

Let's say, hypothetically, someone I know in Des Moines had their own meth lab. Accidents happen, no matter how carefully you cook. He thought ahead. The day came. With substantial burns on his body (later treated at UIHC), he still managed to fire up the grill & throw frozen meat on the kitchen counter. He took the vodka out of the freezer then chugged. LE arrived to find a drunk man in the midst of an very unfortunate barbeque mishap. He's so drunk, all he can do is repeat, "I was gonna cook the ribs, it blew up". But before LE pulls up, he's already gotten rid of the beakers & chemicals, every last trace, in a trash bin across the street.

Why? Because he thought it through. He knew what he'd have to do, & he did it. Did he see prison *again*? No. No he didn't. He wasn't going back for a life sentence this time. He was sure of that, oh yeah.

What type of criminal activities and who the local players are- if this was not a SK or stalker- is what I am, at this point, interested learning more about.

Interesting. You should consider writing ;)

I'm curious, and this could be a question best asked to the locals... But, is there a migrant population in that area..?
DO NOT GET THIS WRONG... This isn't political, or any other itical that could be associated with a question like the one I just posed.
My reason for asking is because I live in an area where there is a large migrant farm working population... With that, you see a more closed circle of people, and a reluctance to deal with LE. Also, there is an uptick in alcohol related incidents.
Please understand that I am not making this post to point a finger in some racially motivated way. It's a delicate question, and im trying to ask it in an incredibly delicate way.

I only meant restricted as in, the login/maintenance/hosting of the website is restricted to LE/govt personnel. The website isn't operated by a nonprofit agency or MT's family. The government set it up.

Yes. That's literally what the ".gov" part means. Specifically the US government. ".com" TLDs are for commercial companies, ".org" TLDs are for non-profits, and there are tons of other TLDs.

The government who is looking for Mollie set up a website looking for Mollie and used the .gov TLD. I don't see why this is a surprise. In fact as far as I know, US government entities have limited TLDs to choose from, mostly .gov or .us for state/local. It doesn't matter as far as tracking incoming IP addresses which basically anyone can do.

They may have certain POI in mind already, and want to see if said POI visit. Does the POI visit at all? Once? Dozens of times? It could help direct of the POI is anxiously checking it for new information on the case.

I'm not sure how this even works. "This IP is suspicious because they only visited once." "This IP is suspicious because they visited ten times." "This IP address is suspicious because they visited a hundred times" (and then find out it's a local library or a big company with lots of people with too much time on their hands or something.)

And your note about VPNs is silly, you can go to the Android store and download a trial VPN. Lots of people know about them know - certainly here where our European members have been using VPNs to access newspapers who block users from the Eurozone for GDPR reasons, but also people into piracy, people who want to avoid blackouts, people who want to watch BBC programming that's whitelisted to viewers in the UK, etc.

I hope the person setting up the website wasn't the same person hired to investigate MT's electronic footprint. Why? Because they map links don't work properly.

It would be interesting if the site includes background heat mapping or something similar, which is currently used by some business to gather marketing data. In this particular case, it would reveal where people are looking on the map and website even if they never click on anything. Usually it tracks wherever the mouse pointer moves. It could also be tracking where people touch on the map if they are on a phone or tablet. The perp or potential witnesses might be looking in unique areas on the map ... or in a unique pattern. If they combine the heat map generated by the user along with the their other captured data (IP address, etc), the results might be interesting.

Website heat map example:

upload_2018-8-13_20-46-38.png

Devils Advocate here: if they have potential persons of interest, couldn't they cross reference their IP addresses and see if there's an unusual level of interest? Say a POI who claims they aren't following the case and then thousands of views from their IP? I know there are ways to mask your IP but assuming the person is not very sophisticated and just logs on from home.

I ask because I can see the IP addresses of the people who view my professional website and I am a sick competitive person so I always look through to see how many times a specific competitor views my site when we put up new information.
What is an "unusual level of interest"? If it's someone local or relatively local, would it be unusual to be nearly obsessed with this case? If this happened in my back yard, I certainly would be and it wouldn't mean I did it. So even if they suspect someone, I don't think seeing them checking the site would really be all that meaningful.

Possibly the Last time her fitbit synced to her cell phone.

If her cell phone died or the fit bit stopped syncing, why would LE no longer want people to monitor suspicious behavior? Instead of the absence of something, I think they must have confirmation of her being outside of the area.

After working all day, I got here as quickly as I could to hear the press conference. I know a lot of you think nothing was really said again today, and LE may really be clueless, but I get the feeling they actually have a pretty good idea what happened to Mollie, and may have an idea of what they are looking for in the way of a suspect vehicle, and just need one or two people who know SOMETHING to step up with some seemingly insignificant piece of information. I got the distinct impression, as at least one or two others here did, that the press conference was almost a one way call to the perp and someone who knows or suspects the man LE is looking for. Some have pondered that LE seems to think Mollie is still alive. I did not get that feeling, and do not believe that she is. JMO

Unfortunately, this is what we all thought and said about the Libby and Abby murders. We weren't correct.

It's all wrong so there is no place to start.

There's no rule saying that government can only keep track of incoming IP addresses on a .gov domain and not an .org domain.

"Restricted access"? You can't claim restricted access when it's an open website that not only is open for the public to visit, but is one that you've openly invited people to visit.

Keeping track of IP addresses? There are probably hundreds of thousands of people who have visited the site, just to view information on a case with major news coverage. You seriously think the cops are going to look at every IP, get a subpoena from a judge where the justification boils down to "this person went to a website we publicized during a press conference about a missing person whose case has been on national news", not have the judge laugh, not have the ISP laugh, then do what, go find Granny who is "concerned about that young girl who went missing in Iowa" and grill her at the police station about where she was on July 18th? Maybe do good cop-bad cop?
i agree but what if they already have a ip they are watching for and start seeing something interesting in how much they view?

My thoughts on the PC...LE is watching...waiting...building their case. My theory has not changed since I posted it last. I think their locations on that map are very telling and they have something that led them to those areas, whether it be data, tips, etc. I think LE knows exactly what they are doing and they are making very calculated moves. As some on the board have said, it's almost as if the PC was for the perp, a show of sorts. That map will make the perp nervous, especially not knowing where that info is coming from. Let us hope it scares them into talking, or at least someone in their inner circle. I think that's what this PC was for...

But asking people to check land, sheds, barns is missing people 101. Please tell me I missed it.

I agree. Missing person cases where I live (East coast) are often aided with large public searches and also officials begging people to check sheds, barns, outbuildings, remote property. They also often get hunters involved in the search.

If LE had a specific car in mind...hey we are at four weeks, they would say “a gray car was seen” and we would like to contact the driver i.e...it is late in the day to be playing mind games, hoping locals will pick up subconscious hints...the general public is not crime obsessed like many of us, knowing what to look for etc...if LE has any clues they need help with, it is past time to spell it out. Many perps have been caught driving the same vehicle once LE put out an alert for it.

I don’t understand the lack of searches, to include the public or outside search groups. Many missing people are found on organized searches. I hate the feeling that right now the focus seems to be more on the elusive perp than where Molly might be, and evidence is being destroyed if she has been deceased this whole time. I can’t even see a reason for the perp to be especially worried right now...all JMO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
c728