Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHERE ARE MY GLASSES? Oh, on top of my head.

Glasses are expensive and so are contacts. People do get them online nowadays so I imagine it is not as expensive as getting them from the eye doctor who makes sure there is a proper fit.

I got mine and my daughters 2 for $70 including the eye exam by the doctor.
So 4 pair for $140.

Last edited:
I have been following from the beginning. This case grabbed my attention bc of proximity via car to Delphi (5.5 hrs) and Evansdale. Not saying there is a connection, but it drew me to this case.

IMO, she answered the door early morning while getting ready for work and already had her cellphone on her or someone entered the house unannounced. She had her phone with her but contacts and glasses were not on and she may have been wearing the red shirt. Dogs already in the basement. Why have the phone but no wallet, contacts, or glasses? Was it on her hidden in a pocket or was she able to quickly grab the phone?

Last, I don’t think she disappeared on her own. LE has some data from the Fitbit or the cellphone or else the pig farms would not have been searched. And I would think 15 FBI (if I am remembering correctly) don’t get involved unless there is something there. Could be wrong but seems like a lot of help. Something is going on and they have a lot more than they are willing to share.

I really hope it’s someone she knew and they have kept her alive and will do the right thing.

Last edited:
Cops search hog farm for missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts as officials rule out potential suspects

This link is in the sixth post of the first page of this thread. I don't understand why people want to jump into cases without reading a little background first.

I've read the article twice, and can't see anyone described as cleared but "her boyfriend and brothers," "her brothers and boyfriend." It's possible that I'm overlooking something. Does anyone else see anyone ruled out?

Note that this does not mean that I'm suspicious of the ones not mentioned. Just that....they aren't mentioned.... (Or I'm going crazy. That's possible, too.)

These are the locations I have on my map so far - if there are any others that can be substantiated with a link please reply with the link. TIA. Link to case map

Work location of housemates (Ames, IA)
Dogsitting location (W Des Moines St, Brooklyn, IA)
Company offering reward (W Des Moines St, Brooklyn, IA)
Work location of boyfriend (Dubuque, IA)
Mollie's college (Iowa City, IA)
Mollie's summer job (Grinnell, IA)
Hog farm searched (Guernsey, IA)

Thank you! This is very helpful. :)

I've read the article twice, and can't see anyone described as cleared but "her boyfriend and brothers," "her brothers and boyfriend." It's possible that I'm overlooking something. Does anyone else see anyone ruled out?

Note that this does not mean that I'm suspicious of the ones not mentioned. Just that....they aren't mentioned.... (Or I'm going crazy. That's possible, too.)

Others may have been ruled out, it's possible that the police aren't listing everyone. I'm not sure that means everyone not explicitly ruled out is fair game, just from an ethical standpoint (her mother isn't listed, and IMHO even trying to sleuth her is outright cruel.)

I couldn’t find it either.

I gathered tidbits of information with quotes from articles:

(note: quoting a member about the dogs being in the basement -I can't look at the article to substantiate)

The dogs were in the basement, where they were kept when nobody was home.

Mollie Tibbetts searchers get Fitbit information

Family members told KCCI on Saturday that evidence shows she was doing homework on her computer late in the evening on July 18. Authorities declined to release a specific time, saying it could hinder the investigation.

New details provide insight into night Mollie Tibbetts was last seen

“Mollie Tibbetts, 20, a student at the University of Iowa, was last seen July 18 at around 7:30 p.m. while running the city streets of Brooklyn, Iowa, according to the Iowa Department of Public Safety's Division of Criminal Investigation in a Friday press release.

At the time, she was wearing dark-colored running shorts, a pink "sports top" and running shoes of an unknown color, according to DCI.”

Investigators use digital info in search for Iowa student

The latest update from authorities was that they are not ruling out abduction and that Tibbetts' boyfriend is not a suspect, and neither are her brothers or the boyfriend's brother.

Missing college student Mollie Tibbetts: A timeline

5:30 p.m.: Tibbetts' older brother, Jake, dropped Mollie off at her boyfriend's house, where she was still staying alone with the dogs. Investigators said Jake Tibbetts is not a suspect.

7:30 p.m. According to a "reasonable timeline" constructed by authorities, Tibbetts went for a jog around this time and was seen running on the city streets of Brooklyn.

Rumor mill spreads more harm than good in Mollie Tibbetts' case

Last night, the FBI returned with dogs to an area of Deep River after receiving a tip.

However, there's still no sign of Mollie.

Kriegel told ABC News that Jack's alibi was confirmed and he is not a suspect, and neither is his brother. Tibbetts' two brothers have also been cleared and are not suspects.

Because “Mollie was a creature of habit” and used the same three routes for her run, Mortvedt says the volunteer search for evidence into her disappearance — which has been fruitless so far — has been called off.

As Student's Mysterious Disappearance Drags On, It Looks More and More Like Foul Play

As Calderwood talked with an FBI agent on the front porch, brother Jake said Mollie always ran in the evening and wore a FitBit and a cell phone holder on her arm, the music playing in wireless headphones.

'She hated to be sad and hated others to be sad': Brotherly love for missing sister

She said Mollie was blossoming in Iowa City, just as she had in high school, where she was involved in theater and three times won state speech competitions.

'She hated to be sad and hated others to be sad': Brotherly love for missing sister

I last spoke with her at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night about what was for dinner. I told her brats. She said, ‘ok,'” her mother, Laura Calderwood, told KWWL-TV.

Mollie Tibbetts Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Speculation that Mollie could not have been abducted by a stranger is misguided, Mortvedt tells PEOPLE.

[…]

“One avenue of thought is that if it wasn’t a struggle, and we have found no signs of a struggle, then maybe it was someone she was familiar with,” Mortvedt explains. “But then the other avenue of thought is it could have been a stranger who simply overpowered her or tricked her. We just have very little to go on.”

Boyfriend Ruled Out as Suspect in Iowa Student's Disappearance — as Police Search Pig Farm
BUMP!

Admin note:
I keep seeing posts stepping on the line of one of Websleuths' fundamental rules.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them.

Rules - Etiquette & Information

The family and boyfriend have been cleared. Yet post after post insinuates some nefarious involvement in indirect ways and veiled inferences.

Continuing to post in this fashion will result in warning points being issued and may result in the loss of posting privileges.
Another bump!

These are the locations I have on my map so far - if there are any others that can be substantiated with a link please reply with the link. TIA. Link to case map

Work location of housemates (Ames, IA)
Dogsitting location (W Des Moines St, Brooklyn, IA)
Company offering reward (W Des Moines St, Brooklyn, IA)
Work location of boyfriend (Dubuque, IA)
Mollie's college (Iowa City, IA)
Mollie's summer job (Grinnell, IA)
Hog farm searched (Guernsey, IA)

Great job, thank you! You may already be aware, but there's a media/maps/timeline thread here if you want to add it: IA - MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINES - NO DISCUSSION - Molly Tibbetts,20, Poweshiek County

Others may have been ruled out, it's possible that the police aren't listing everyone. I'm not sure that means everyone not explicitly ruled out is fair game, just from an ethical standpoint (her mother isn't listed, and IMHO even trying to sleuth her is outright cruel.)

The DCI spokesman said the other day that they have no reason to believe Mollie's family is involved in her disappearance. Link was posted many pages ago.

She does homework late means she made it back from the run
No reply to brother in morning from a text he sends at 7:30am asking her if she needs a ride home from work
Apparently the family knew she was ok getting to work that morning.
How was she supposed to get to work?
No struggle in home dogs are where their supposed to be...
Red shirt she was wearing to work is missing but glasses and contacts and wallet etc are still at the the home.
The time she woke up.... Say 6am to 7:30 is the window to focus on IMO

I have a question. Is the picture of her writing that pans back to the TV what they're basing that she was doing homework on? If so, in my opinion, whatever she was writing on was not the appropriate size to be a composition book for homework. That looks more like a journal to me. Also, the dogs are not Labs. They are mixed breed dogs. They may be pit x hound mix or hound x lab mixes, etc. But they definitely are not purebred Labs. My guess is they are rescues, which tend to have more anxiety issues, hence why they're put away when no one is home. JMHO

What occurs at that electric co-op next door to where Mollie disappears? It has 3 huge parking areas and it's a large building. What hours are they open? Do a bunch of electrical subcontractors hang out there waiting for assignments? There are photos of this building with 35 trucks and cars. Are those permanent employees?
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 11.12.42 AM.png

According to this interview, if we assume it was properly transcribed, Poweshiek County Sheriff Tom Kriegel states her boyfriend was cleared as a suspect, and when specifically asked about the boyfriend's brother (and owner of the house), his response was "the brothers" were cleared as suspects and I took it to mean Mollie's two brothers not her boyfriend's one brother.
Sheriff: boyfriend and brothers of Mollie Tibbetts aren't suspects

ABC: Boyfriend not a suspect, his brother for example?
Kriegel: The brothers are not suspects.
ABC: Both brothers are not?
Kriegel: No.
<modsnipped- boyfriend's social media is not allowed and no link provided for other paragraph>

Last edited by a moderator:

bbm

"She is just such an outgoing, fun, loving life, loving person," she told ABC News. "She was getting ready to move into her first apartment."

College.
Work.
First apartment.
Dominican Republic.

How does MT handle pressure? It wouldn't be the first time someone became overwhelmed with life events and decided they could no longer deal with it (just throwing this out there).

If MT was not pressured, not stressed, just going along as normal then what of those around her (just throwing this out there as well)? Jealousy?

Going beyond that, what about the "apartment". Where is it? For how long is the lease? Just MT, or was she to have an apartment-mate/is someone already occupying the apartment?

LE searched a "hog farm" 15 minutes from Brooklyn (near Guernsey). I believe the farm is farther from Brooklyn than what a typical late-afternoon/evening jog would accommodate given an assumed timeline includes for MT returning home before 'dark'.

It was reported nothing was found at the farm. This leads me to believe MT's phone ping/Fitbit data placed the phone at/near the farm, which implies transportation.

I'm beginning to believe MT will not be found in the general local area; at least, not during the first round of searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenny0115