ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is seriously terrifying. That moment when he realizes his reflection is clear on his laptop screen and shifts his position slightly.
His language is also pretty odd, imo. None of the victims are referred to by name. Ever. Is that because he didn’t know their names? Is it because he wants to distance himself from them as people? Also, he describes the killer as very strong. Apologies if discussion about this video is not allowed. I will absolutely delete this and any other comments if I’m breaking the rules.

This article provides insight on BK's demeanor and physical appearance as a teaching assistant in the days following the murders.

"Hayden Stinchfield said Kohberger was the teacher's assistant in one of her criminology classes. He seemed disengaged most of the time and was a harsh grader, she said.

"He was definitely kind of a creepy guy," she said.

Stinchfield said she noticed in the days after the killings that Kohberger seemed more distracted and disheveled, letting his facial hair grow out.

"We noticed distinctly, like, oh, he must be going through it. He's, yeah, he's looking a lot worse," she said.
"

Last edited:
Have there been any unsolved murders in PA? I just don't believe this is someone who hasn't done this before. He killed four out of six people living in a three story home. People who had not been asleep for long, were young, and one was a male. Maybe even in a home he had never been in before. I just don't see this as his first time. I'd wonder if there were any similar murders in PA.
Sadly, PA has many unsolved murders, and a large state...https://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/11/pa_cold_cases_decades_of_unsol.html

Pulling @Seattle1's post over from the media thread

12/30/22

The father of one of four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death more than six weeks ago said "we are on the path to justice" after a suspect was arrestedFriday in connection with their murders.

Steve Goncalves told ABC News that he was watching a football game when "my whole world got turned upside down." His daughter, Kaylee Goncalves, as well as her roommates Madison Mogen and Xana Kernodle and Kernodle's boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, were killed in the girls' off-campus house in the early hours of Nov. 13.

[..]

When Steve Goncalves first saw the suspect's photo, he said he saw a "broken soul, pitiful human being."

"The little coward that had finally got caught running," he said. "I still think everyone's innocent until proven guilty, so I put that in the back of my mind."

Steve Goncalves said no one in the family knows or recognizes the suspect, but in the hours since they've first learned his name they are starting to see connections between him and Kaylee Goncalves that they aren't ready to discuss yet.

Also involved in a law career and held uniform wearing job (school security). Many SK want to be LE or military, right? Wear a uniform and hold some power over others. Many get rejected due to mental health tests.
Pat Brown ( profiling with Pat Brown) also suggested that he might have been rejected when he applied for LE ( failed psych test)

'He nonchalantly decided to meet me driving round the Poconos for heroin and I had no idea. I thought I was doing a nice deed because he needed something [else].'

Steve Goncalves said no one in the family knows or recognizes the suspect, but in the hours since they've first learned his name they are starting to see connections between him and Kaylee Goncalves that they aren't ready to discuss yet.

"Now that there's a person and a name that someone can specifically look for and see if there's any connections in any way. So they're just trying to figure it out," the family's attorney, Shanon Grey, told ABC News.
[snip]
"This guy's gonna have to look me in my eyes multiples times, and I'm going to be looking for the truth. That's really what I'm going to be looking for," Steve Goncalves said.
Families of Idaho murder victims address suspect's arrest: 'We are on the path to justice'

An interesting read:

“However, although the main risk factors for violence still remain being young, male, single, or of lower socio-economic status, several more recent studies have reported a modest association between mental illness and violence, even when these elements have been controlled (1-2,7,13-16).”
I believe there is a difference between "controlled" and healed. A tendon my become tendonitis and become inflamed from time to time. The person experiencing ailment would perceive themselves healed until triggers generate reoccurring need to resolve the inflammation. However, these mental processes are somewhat operating in the background until there is no activity to distract. Without a lot of control, even with medication and counseling, the person is drawn into their condition. The discipline required to rationalize a thought process away from further escalation is tremendous. In our youth, our experiences and successes in resolving challenges are repeated and applied such that they become our natural strength. It becomes a subconscious manner of thinking and action that we enjoy being immersed in. Just give the person the opportunity and they will dedicate themselves to achieving the goals in their vision. And "Goals" to me is a key word in the survey that identifies a desire to understand and develop a know-how in the field of "criminality". While not realizing what this desire truly meant, it lead to a horrific crime whether he thought he was under control before, he was drawn to an opportunity to exercise the natural strengths. He may have become to believe that he was born to be a criminal as he immersed himself in the subjects rather than a savior.

'He nonchalantly decided to meet me driving round the Poconos for heroin and I had no idea. I thought I was doing a nice deed because he needed something [else].'
from your link:

Casey's brother, Thomas, described Kohberger as a 'bully' who would happily note his friends' 'flaws and insecurities' in order to distract from his own weight struggled.

'He did that to me all the time,' Thomas told The Daily Beast. 'He would go after my intelligence. He would basically insinuate that I'm kind of slow-witted and that I'm forgetful and that I lack the intelligence to be his friend.'

Thomas finally cut off the friendship after the continuous bullying. He noted how his father, a maintenance worker, and mother, a substitute teacher, were 'genuinely kind people.'

It’s crazy how they narrowed in on this car. This is a very common car. Yesterday when I drove 5 mi to/from shopping I counted more than a dozen (but mostly black).
Even Mr BeachSky said - why did he not get rid of the car?!
I bet he thought that LE was over whelmed, not smart enough, equipped,or savvy enough to connect him.

MOO

I agree. In the picture with the suicide vest, he looks somewhat normal and not un-attractive. Definitely not a Richard Ramirez (Nightstalker) vibe, where just the sight of him terrified you.
Nothing normal about those eyes. There’s a certain finality to them. Like he can’t be reasoned with. Every picture I’ve seen of him so far creeps me out.

At least with Ramirez you know what you’re getting.

Is this the first time genetic genealogy has been used so soon in a case? We are seeing many cold cases being solved after decades, but this is literally weeks! Pretty impressive
That's my impression. Will be very interesting to know how the Elantra and DNA investigative threads relate/line up within the broader timeline. If the DNA is what gave LE their first real lead, the implications here are stunning.

(Edited to note that the implications are still stunning if DNA was used to corroborate BK as a suspect after the Elantra lead was in place. The turnaround time on all of this is what sets this case apart from previous ones.)

Is this the first time genetic genealogy has been used so soon in a case? We are seeing many cold cases being solved after decades, but this is literally weeks! Pretty impressive

I posted early on that I wondered at what point/time LE would be able or resort to genealogy to find the suspect, if that is what they did.

When I did 23me I gor it back in like 6 weeks.

Jmo

Confused as to why people are saying his parent's house is modest. It's very ugly and outdated inside and in desperate need of an overhaul, but huge place plus a nice garden.
If it's a real estate listing it would also be showing the furniture and decor of the previous owners. It doesn't appeal to me but for some people it could be a dream home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holliryann