ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
or his family did...but I hope he did.
Lots of criminals won't be able to hide because there are always family members who submit DNA tests for GED Match etc...I love how DNA is bringing them to justice!
That is the thing he miscalculated spectacularly: he cannot control noone except himself. Not even his relatives. He could have asked his parents and sisters if they are contemplating to send or if they already sent samples of their DNA, but he did not. They would have told him, no doubt. Why he didn't? It is a mystery to me. Was that the fatal mistake he made that had been mentioned several times? I think so.

Even tho the year is off, it's still a white Elantra. As many days as this particular Elantra was on the news and being discussed ad nauseum, there's no way IMO that his parents didn't at least raise an eyebrow. Vinnie Politan was especially stern when he covered the car and "don't you have friends? Don't you have family that know this car?" Idk.. but even if it were my family member, I would have been highly suspicious myself.
If you knew about a crime that occurred thousands of miles away, in a state which is not the one in which your son is living, and when the car was not the same year indicated in the parameters provided to the public. Not everyone follows true crime stories.

But we know from one of the 30 year old neighbors, the chef guy who lives in one of the apartments near the so-called party house, that he had wandered into one of the parties at some point and met some of the residents at the party, so it is very possible that BK did the same thing.
This information is going to be helpful to the defense - random folks gaining easy access to the interior of the house during a party. Praying the DNA connected to BK is someplace a random visitor to the house would not be.

I drive from Minneapolis to Kansas City regularly. It's not that expensive to drive and get hotels-probably less than $500-$700 total to drive 2500 miles. It's not cheaper than flying, but it would be cheaper than flying plus boarding his dog,
Honestly, I think he was arrogant and didn't think he would get caught, or if he did get caught, he didn't think he would actually go to prison. He's waiving extradition so he is at least pretending he has nothing to e afraid of...
ETA: MPLS to KC is not nearly as long of a drive, but I can do it without saving money up. It's not that expensive is what I am saying.
Driving both ways in one month to six weeks could add up to a rent payment! Neither BK or his family seem flush with extra cash from what has been discussed here.

And his dad had the added cost of flying out.

I wonder if BK had hidden his car somewhere after the search was announced by LE or even before.

MOO

It’s actually very common for first-year grad students to teach freshman classes (composition being a common one) under supervision at many universities.
Bryan Kohlberger was a teaching assistant - which means he helped with grading and other behind the scenes tasks (e.g.: Blackboard online course materials).

His 12th grade teacher said that he was always interested in police work, would talk to her about it and described him as a normal, talented kid. She thought he would end up being a police officer or a correctional officer.
IMO his early interest was not necessarily driven by something dark.
It is possible that it wasn't something dark so much as wanting to shift the power dynamics, so that he was the one in a position of power (as the bullies had been, if in fact he was subject to bullying in early high school).

I agree with you. For example, if police falsely said they were looking for a 2011-2013 car, hoping to give him a false sense of security, defense could eventually claim "our client does not have the type of car you said you were looking for, why have you brought him in?" If they then say well we were mistaken, we just thought it was 2011-13, the defense could call into question the quality of the police work. Just as an example, no idea if that happened here.

Now if there's other evidence, that may not matter, but why would the police deliberately set up easy defense objections? It just seems fanciful that police would play the proverbial 3D chess with a suspect. MOO

I don’t believe LE goes out of their way to misleading the public but I have never heard of a defence attorney mount a defence against public LE public statements.

They tend to review actual evidence and witness statements.

it's not the same car

it's a 2015 Elantra.

For all we know, a devious mass murderer might even have told his parents that his car was cleared cause it was 2015.
Virtually no one, other than a serious car buff, is going to readily recognize distinctions in nondescript, common cars that are 9/10 vs 12/13 years old. If there was a major design shift they might recognize one as older than the other, but a Hyundai Elantra is possibly one of the most unmemorable cars on the road. I don't think any reasonable person would exclude a car a couple years off the one being searched for. I would hope no one would be that literal. When the handsome guy with his arm in a cast rolls up in his 1968 tan VW beetle and asks you to get in to help him find his lost puppy, DON'T GO, even if the police said they are looking for the 1972 model.

Apologies if shared already. Can’t keep up.

The man accused of the horrific slayings of four University of Idaho students called a podcast covering the murders as cops searched for him, a friend of the alleged killer believes.

The revelation from Casey Arntz - who grew up and attended high school with suspect Bryan Kohberger in Pennsylvania - came a day after the teaching assistant's arrest rocked the world, and after a more than monthlong search by police.

Taking to TikTok to address a clip from a podcast discussing the November Idaho murders that has gone viral online, Arntz stated that she recognized the voice of the caller in the clip as Kohberger's, after the audio sent the internet into a furor.
From the article:

'I just, I found you today,' the caller says in a portion of the call that has been clipped and reshared hundreds of thousands of times in the past 36 hours, since Kohberger's sudden arrest at his family home in the Poconos.

'I watched your live (stream) earlier this afternoon, and been watching this one, and I uh- the thing that strikes me as kind of weird about all of this is, I live in a college town, and I've worked with at least ten Sigma Chi members.

The person then went on to shockingly claim that 'every single one of them has asked me if you are gonna kill somebody how would you get away with it.'

The bizarre statement appears to catch the host off-guard, but the caller - who speaks in a breathy, rambling voice - proceeds, offering a strange theory of his own.

'And, I just wonder if, maybe, just maybe, this is nothing more than some kid in a fraternity trying to prove himself.'
Lol, if this is true it's perfect for one possible outline in my mind of this guy: Sigma Chi chapters are - anecdotal, but observed over several decades - frequently the classic preppy fraternity - handsome and from well-off backgrounds, often one of the best houses on campus. "Chads," if you will.

Exactly who a resentful, awkward incel with a lifetime of wounds nursed into murderous tendencies might love to see hassled or gossiped about. And exactly the counterpart to the pretty party girls he murdered. And exactly whom a gym-maxxed incel who still can't get the hot girls despite his self-improvement efforts and academic progress would hate.

I tend to think this cannot really be BCK, because it would be too clichéd and neat, too one-dimensional and stupid*. But then again, preliminary record so far shows he's not a genius.

* And reporter-friendly. Whether bc it is accurate or bc it creates buzz and clicks and an easy paint-by-number portrait, the drips of articles/opinions/ interviews so far seem to be going with either "awkward, bullied loner who creeps people out to a point of offensiveness at times" or "genius," so we'll see.

That person, who asked not to be identified, said they did not know the father and son but engaged in friendly conversation with them at an auto maintenance shop on December 16 in Pennsylvania, while the two were getting their Elantra serviced. (A separate person also confirmed to CNN the father and son did business at the location on December 16.)

The father told the individual he flew to Washington state and made the cross-country trip with Kohberger, adding his son would be traveling to the west coast alone after the holidays.

So BK arrived to PA on Dec 16, not 17?
I can't imagine flying to assist my 28 y/o doctoral son on a cross-country drive for Christmas. Plus, accompanied him to the auto maintenance shop.

Where would the nearest airport be to Pullman for a long-haul flight? Could it be in Idaho? I'm in Europe and I have no idea, which is why I'm asking.
There is an airport in the Spokane WA/Couer d Alene ID area just north of Moscow ID. The nearest major airport would be Seattle WA or Portland Oregon. See map at link.

JMO

Virtually no one, other than a serious car buff, is going to readily recognize distinctions in nondescript, common cars that are 9/10 vs 12/13 years old. If there was a major design shift they might recognize one as older than the other, but a Hyundai Elantra is possibly one of the most unmemorable cars on the road. I don't think any reasonable person would exclude a car a couple years off the one being searched for. I would hope no one would be that literal. When the handsome guy with his arm in a cast rolls up in his 1968 tan VW beetle and asks you to get in to help him find his lost puppy, DON'T GO, even if the police said they are looking for the 1972 model.

From the article:

Lol, if this is true it's perfect for one possible outline in my mind of this guy: Sigma Chi chapters are - anecdotal, but observed over several decades - frequently the classic preppy fraternity - handsome and from well-off backgrounds, often one of the best houses on campus. "Chads," if you will.

Exactly who a resentful, awkward incel with a lifetime of wounds nursed into murderous tendencies might love to see hassled or gossiped about. And exactly the counterpart to the pretty party girls he murdered. And exactly whom a gym-maxxed incel who still can't get the hot girls despite his self-improvement efforts and academic progress would hate.

I tend to think this cannot really be BCK, because it would be too clichéd and neat, too one-dimensional and stupid*. But then again, preliminary record so far shows he's not a genius.

* And reporter-friendly. Whether bc it is accurate or bc it creates buzz and clicks and an easy paint-by-number portrait, the drips of articles/opinions/ interviews so far seem to be going with either "awkward, bullied loner who creeps people out to a point of offensiveness at times" or "genius," so we'll see.
The subject podcaster has already debunked the theory that the caller was BK. He was able to trace the caller.

Does anyone remember when the information about the white Elantra was released? I can't find when it originated on a Google search because it's all saturated with the arrest. The suspect was in PA on 12/16. Was that before or after LE released the information?
On 7th of December 2022 was the first appeal for information about the white car

I think it says more about a controlling and coercive attitude than an eating disorder. Moreover, was a set of rules he could use against others in order to belittle them.
Could be. On the other hand, he seems to have lost a really striking amount of weight, so I’d be surprised if it was just about bossing around others.

If his parents did indeed ask I'm sure he had a great excuse.

He's been described as a genius who thinks he's brighter than his peers and studied Psychology , so yes, you'd think so

It will take a while, but hopefully if/when we get some fuller detail of his post-crime behaviour we'll get a better picture of just how devious he is. Or whether he's really not very smart.

It struck me that the neighbour who complained about his noise ( cleaning & vacuuming noises 1-2am ) might have been hearing him attempt to do a thorough clean of his apartment. She said the late night noises stopped 3 weeks ago.

However, considering that he's left DNA at the crime scene, is it really likely that he's managed to scrub every trace of digital evidence from, eg. the hard drive which was just taken out of his apartment? From his office laptops, his phone? From the car? Did he cover those modules when he was at DeSales University?

Did he purchase forensic supplies from a commercial, online supplier for physical clean-up of the car and do a professional job?

My hunch is no, he's not actually very smart but likes to perform an appearance of being smart.

' That continued at Pennsylvania's Northampton Community College, according to one of Kohberger's friends, who requested to remain anonymous because of her job.
"He's really, really intelligent. A bright kid . . . someone who stood out even in honors and high-level classes,"

........an intellectual who "was very interested in the way the mind works"

quotes from this link:

I just can’t imagine that his dad did not, at least a little, have a small voice in the back of his mind saying “My son was close to this murder geographically and drives a white Hyundai. I wonder if….?”
I’m halfway across the country and I know it entered my mind about every person here I knew with a white Hyundai that had no connection with Idaho.
And the dad knew him. I bet it at least entered the dads mind, even if he dismissed it.
Many people are not even aware of this crime, and of those who are aware, are not so glued to the details as to know about the white Hyundai. IMO

From the article:

Good points. IF this caller is truly Bryan, all of what you said could fit. Or, he’s trying to put scrutiny on Sigma Chi’s to cause more pain and trauma for those involved. I wonder if an incel motive for the murders could also be combined with what a terrorist attempts- to cause as much terror as possible but not really caring if you get caught. OR if you do get caught attempting to cause even more terror all the way to conviction. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Incase I missed it being posted:
The "report" that is the source of this entire article is from some unnamed supposed friend of a supposed cop who supposedly was on surveillance duty, keeping tabs on BK in Pennsylvania, for a couple days, who supposedly told the poster, who posted it to social media. I wouldn't bet a dollar on the truth in any of this. JMO

Last edited:
The nearest international airport is in Spokane, WA. There are multiple regional airports near the Pullman-Moscow area, including the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport and the Lewiston–Nez Perce County Airport. Potential options would depend on what airline was being flown by the suspect's father. While most major airlines have flights to larger airports like Spokane International Airport, the regional airports are much more limited. For example, while United, Delta and SkyWest service Lewiston–Nez Perce County Airport, Horizon Air (under the umbrella of Alaska Airlines) is the ONLY commercial airline serving Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport. We'd have to know the airline his father flew in on to ascertain which airport he actually flew into. I feel sure the police and FBI have all that information.
Italicised by me.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I asked this here on the forum because a poster mentioned annoyance at reports of the suspect's father flying to Idaho (rather than to Washington), so I wondered if the nearest airport might actually be in Idaho. Apparently not. I'm sure the police have all relevant information of that nature too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wulongfei125