ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
But there is no such thing as a perfect murder.
An unsolved murder is likely due to a lack of resources. A wall of silence, intimidation, lots of things can come into play and impede an investigation. A new set of eyes could likely solve those 50% imo

yes, just read the link. previous high clearance rates had little to do with sophistication of the perp, according to the article itself

For those wonder DNA turn around timeframe, found this, it's from 2010 so obviously things may have changed, but says ID takes about 45-60 days on a "no suspect, rush".

That was more then a decade ago.

Forensic DNA testing takes about 24-72 hours but the amount of time that it takes to take DNA from a crime scene can span as long as 14 days.
Source:
google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+long+do+crime+dna+results+to+come+back
https://www.choicedna.com/what-is-forensic-dna-testing/

To Ka-Bar or not to Ka-bar

Here are LE's offical words on the murder weapon/s. Please note "KA-BAR" is never mentioned.

"Although no weapons have been located, based on preliminary information, investigators believe that an edged weapon such as a knife was used. Autopsies are scheduled to be completed later this week and will hopefully provide more definitive information on the exact cause of the deaths." (Nov 15)

"Additionally, detectives have contacted local businesses to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased." (Nov 19)

"Weapon: There has been much conversation about the terminology used to describe the weapon. The type of knife thought to be used in the attacks is believed to be a fix-blade knife. Detectives continue to look for the weapon." (Nov 22)

"Local businesses were contacted to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased." (Dec 6)

LE will always be very conservative of their language for many reasons.

They don't want the public to form an opinion if LE are incorrect in their statement

Defence counsel will weigh in errors made by LE

The coroner probably knows what knife it is but won't state until formal tests are made AIMOO

They know it is a big fixed blade knife

I think LE has identified the perp with very strong circumstantial evidence. I also think they have his DNA. Though it's been reported that there is no evidence of sexual assault, I believe at least one of the murders has a sexual component. I believe LE is treading softly <modsnip - not allowed> and will make an arrest when the crime scene DNA is validated. I believe the perp is closely monitored and cops are confident the public is safe.
Like a town vs gown theory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forensic DNA testing refers to taking swabs or blood from victims and from others.

In those cases, we are not piecing together from trace/touch DNA, which has very different time parameters. First step would be to process all the evidence (and there's probably a lot here) and get partial profiles on every single organic bit.

And that might even indicate a need to go back to the crime scene and get more of a particular sample, if possible.

Aside from the neighbor who swabbed himself, apparently, and asked to be tested - do we even know if a single person (other than the victims) has been swabbed?

That was more then a decade ago.

Forensic DNA testing takes about 24-72 hours but the amount of time that it takes to take DNA from a crime scene can span as long as 14 days.
Source:
google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+long+do+crime+dna+results+to+come+back
What is Forensic DNA Testing?
Yup, that's why I pointed out this is from 2010. ;-)

When you live with your friends, and see them every single day, you don't always hang out with them outside of the house (or even inside). Sometimes you all splinter off to different groups of friends, sometimes you all hang out together outside of the house as well. Their varying ages probably makes a difference, too, as far as going to bars etc. I believe one of the surviving roommates had a BF as well, so they could have been with him/his friends.
I wonder what their WHOLE social group knows and why LE keeps saying they’re focused on the investigation, not the activities.

They say it twice here:

I think what they are saying is that they want to know more about what was happening not what they were doing that might be consider illegal. Like they don’t care if they were smoking drugs or drinking under age. That isn’t the focus. It’s possible a lot of kids aren’t saying anything for fear they will be prosecuted for doing something illegal. I think the police is trying to reassure these kids that they don’t necessarily care about that stuff so much as getting more information about people present, conversations taking place and who was where. Hope that makes sense.

Not sure.

Unless they know the motive, the answer is, unlikely. LE have to go through so many people and options. I just hope the killer was not a seasoned one and left forensic evidence.
It’s truly a proverbial “needle in the haystack.” Mountains of evidence don’t always equate to or prove to be beneficial. Many times they prove to be frustrating lessons in futility. It’s not that the killer didn’t mess up and leave evidence. It’s weather or not they were able to collect and recognize it prior to contamination. Instead of searching for the killer, they should be actively focusing on the tried and true art of deduction.

Go through the neighboring apartments AGAIN, specifically those (all and any) with a direct line of sight on that home. COLD Knock on doors at 03:00, speak with the occupants who answer. Ask all the same list of questions. Wear body cams to record every interaction and review it all (more closely) later with the feds. Are the occupants of the apartments awake at that hour? Asleep? Has anyone visited any tenant in said apartments or frat houses (as a guest - possibly from out of state) during the time frame in question? Perhaps a family member, boyfriend, or friend. Is there an insomniac among them? Anyone with prior military experience (or current) Specific to the USMC or USN? DD or HD. ETC.

I think LE has identified the perp with very strong circumstantial evidence. I also think they have his DNA. Though it's been reported that there is no evidence of sexual assault, I believe at least one of the murders has a sexual component. I believe LE is treading softly <modsnip - not allowed> and will make an arrest when the crime scene DNA is validated. I believe the perp is closely monitored and cops are confident the public is safe.
If it’s someone who has visited the house in the past it’s going to be hard to argue they are the killer unless you find the murder weapon at this point. I feel very strongly it was someone who lives very close to the house and has been there before. Probably would have access to knives and was probably at the house in the past for a party or something but not necessarily in their close circle of friends. I doubt the perp goes to the college even though lives very close to the scene. Maybe he couldn’t get in and just wanted to associate with that life style but felt shunned. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok something has been bugging me and I feel like it’s been kinda overlooked. What do these 4 people have in common other than living in that house and being roommates? They both shared a long loving relationship with the other person killed with them. X and C were in a relationship as boyfriend/girlfriend and it seemed from all accounts to be a loving relationship. M and K also were like sisters it’s been said. Friend since the 6th grade. They also had that bond of a loving friendship. The other 2 roommates were spared for whatever reason. Motive for the killings could have been a jealousy rage of these relationships they had and this killer feeling rage at not having this.

It’s very strange to me that this house was considers a party house and yet on this 1 weekend night all the roommates got home around the same time and all just went into there separate room and went to sleep. It just seems odd to me.

Also wasn’t K close to the other 2 roommates also? I’ve seen them in party pictures together. Why on the night she comes back into town she only hangs out with M?

I’m not saying other roommates were to blame but I would be curious to find out about the recent dynamics in those friendships. It seems like something was off that specific night about all of their interactions with each other compared to pictures and videos I’ve seen previously.

Obviously just my observation based on information available.
I have thought this a million times! I thibk M and K went out alone because they were the only two over 21. I have wondered though, if this was such a party house, IMO, why were they not having a party this weekend? Kaylee is moving away, just in for the weekend, holiday break coming up...seems like the ideal time for a party. Why did everyone split up and do separate, seemingly mundaneish things?

Im no expert but from what I read separating 2 dna samples from each other is difficult and extremely time consuming. Would a usable dna profile be done by now?
Not necessarily. Consider, we can’t just rely on what DNA was left on the girls by the killer that evening. M&K were out at a crowded bar all evening and then went to the food truck. Can you imagine how many people brushed up beside them, gave them a hug, etc? E&X were also at a party. You try to isolate all the DNA on each body which is difficult enough and takes a lot of time, then you compare that to all the dna on the other three bodies, and see if one isolated sample shows up on all 4 bodies. Then you have to see if the identified/mutual sample belongs to someone in a DNA database somewhere.
This crime scene is a DNA cluster…….

If it’s someone who has visited the house in the past it’s going to be hard to argue they are the killer unless you find the murder weapon at this point. I feel very strongly it was someone who lives very close to the house and has been there before. Probably would have access to knives and was probably at the house in the past for a party or something but not necessarily in their close circle of friends. I doubt the perp goes to the college even though lives very close to the scene. Maybe he couldn’t get in and just wanted to associate with that life style but felt shunned. Just my opinion.
much easier considering the source and location of the sample though agree, the knife would tie things up neatly

Maybe it was a cop or someone in LE who did it. Just speculating but would explain how they have been able to not get caught thus far just a thought
If you want to go this direction, I’d say someone who desperately wants to be a cop but likely failed any/all tests, etc. when applying, was eventually denied. Perhaps a dishonorable military discharge, works as a security guard. This type isn’t really on my list of possible perps but that’s far more likely than an actual LEO being involved.

Hi, I haven't sleuthed in quite a few years, but this case has me perplexed. One thought I keep coming back to is the prevalence of mental health issues that strike men (and women) in their 20's. The brutality of these murders seems to point to someone who was not in their right mind at the time. Could it be that these four people had distanced themselves from someone whose behavior was becoming more erratic (and perhaps frightening)? I apologize if this has been examined before. I confess that I haven't read the threads before now.

I wonder what their WHOLE social group knows and why LE keeps saying they’re focused on the investigation, not the activities.

They say it twice here:

LE means by that, underage drinking, partying, fighting/assault or other illegal things are not, within reason, their focus. Getting information is what they want, not to bust some kid for other crimes. LE needs these kids to speak up about what they saw, heard...any anomalies they noticed without being worried they could get in trouble. AJMO

What is town vs gown theory mean? Thanks
Permanent town residents vs temporary college students. Ashleigh Banfield mentioned that last years mayoral race was impacted by a comment that the students act entitled to whatever they want because they bring daddy’s money with them while they’re there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201