ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder or ask if any of you think the perp targeted this house, found an unlocked door or window and hid inside waiting? Waiting for them all to go to sleep. I will never forget Ted Bundy doing this same thing. He found a door and propped it open. moo
Certainly, IMO, hiding inside would be easier than trying to get in later unless the killer knew the first floor code or the second floor slider was often left open. The four places that look most logical to hide (to me) are the first floor utility room, pantry, unoccupied bedroom on the second floor and third floor closet. I have a pair of hybrid dogs similar to Murphy but with a Lhasa mama which makes them sentinels. They bark for 30-45 minutes at strangers and for 2 or 3 minutes at family. I wonder how many of Murphy's dog treats went missing between 8 PM Saturday and noon on Sunday. IMO if the killer was waiting inside then he might've been making friends with Murphy via treats. Someone with athletic ability might've been able to climb to the third floor balcony. Perhaps that slider was commonly left unlocked. JMO

It doesn't really change things. If she was in that room and it had a keypad lock that was closed, it still could have played out the same way. The only caveat would be needing to use the restroom at some point before noon. The restroom was right outside Xana's room. But sometimes after drinking, you're hungover and dehydrated. Sleep late and don't need to pee.
I was responding specifically to speculation that one of the surviving victims was on second floor. LE has factually stated that’s not the case, yet the rumor continues.

There is so much we don’t know, and I think it’s confusing/counterproductive to ignore the facts LE has given. Moo

I think they want their suspect to not know he’s a suspect while they’re bringing him in to be questioned.

That's the proverbial slippery slope, the grey area between interviewing and interrogation, and imo a defense attorney's happy place for getting statements thrown out. The killer would IMO either have to be very egotistical and certain he could outsmart LE or very stupid to do that without an attorney present.

I've been reading about this utility knife that was originally used by farmers, and is now used in many professions, hiking, camping, hunting and fishing.
It has a handle that prevents slipping in muddy and wet conditions including underwater usages.
M00
So a karambit is almost like a claw, varying lengths. To me, I’d associate it with someone who’s into self defense, or likes to think he is. That’s just generalizing of course, they have such a menacing look I think people get them just because they’re cool too. And they’re very useful too, perfect rope cutters really. That’s a pretty interesting thought really, I definitely can personally see wounds from a karambit being described as a “tear.”

From all I’ve read, KC was the only one graduating in December.

The floor plans indicate that there was a bathroom on every floor, so yes, the two bedrooms on the second floor would share a bathroom. However, I believe that one second floor bedroom was vacant. (I’m counting the floors as 1, 2, 3.)

MOO
I understand the tenant had moved out. So, yes Xana was the only one at that time.

The killer(s) had many hours to clean up and spray bleach or another chemical all over everything to ruin the DNA. I have not heard this but it could happen if this was planned.

I find this quote by Aaron Snell interesting. "So at this point in time we're still processing through our tips and our leads and we're really working on developing a full picture of what occured the night of the incident and, as well, the nights before". Could something have happened the nights before that led to this? If that was the case wouldn't that lean towards Kaylee not being the target since she wasn't there?
imo, just thinking that it makes sense that the night of would naturally not be the only point in time considered, but everything leading up to that night would potentially help put the puzzle together. jmo though.

I was responding specifically to speculation that one of the surviving victims was on second floor. LE has factually stated that’s not the case, yet the rumor continues.

There is so much we don’t know, and I think it’s confusing/counterproductive to ignore the facts LE has given. Moo
I realize what LE said and I saw the video where the 1st floor room looked almost bare. I'm not trying to ignore facts, but regardless of where she slept, I do believe that the roommate had very little information to share and shared whatever she could. The police know where she slept and that's really all that matters.

Basically, we're sleuthing the same limited details over and over again at this point. LE isn't releasing anything new that helps us explore new angles. New people join and ask things that have already been covered repeatedly which is fine. I think I'll take a break until something new comes to light that is relevant.

I didn't get the impression today that LE is going to share much of anything for a loooong time. IMO, they have a lot of holes and they're waiting on tips/clues/evidence to be able to really move forward. It's gonna be a while!

imo, just thinking that it makes sense that the night of would naturally not be the only point in time considered, but everything leading up to that night would potentially help put the puzzle together. jmo though.
Totally agree, but the "nights before" seems pretty specific. Why not say days before, or time before? Just struck me as odd wording. But at this point many things about this case strike me as odd. :(

When did K dump Jd? When did she make the final decision to backpack in Europe and then move to Texas? Did she make arrangements to see Jd or only M on this visit?

I realize what LE said and I saw the video where the 1st floor room looked almost bare. I'm not trying to ignore facts, but regardless of where she slept, I do believe that the roommate had very little information to share and shared whatever she could. The police know where she slept and that's really all that matters.
RSBM

I think it's entirely possible that one of the surviving roommates was previously in the now-vacant 2nd floor bedroom, as shown in the LE video from September, and then after a first-floor bedroom was [presumably] vacated, she decided to switch so was on the first floor in November. I believe LE has made it clear the two survivors were on the ground floor. MOO

Totally agree, but the "nights before" seems pretty specific. Why not say days before, or time before? Just struck me as odd wording. But at this point many things about this case strike me as odd. :(
I don’t think the investigation is as organized and managed as smoothly as many folks believe. They might “know” who they
“suspect” but have zero to go on. My guess is that hindsight will be quite illuminating some day. I hope somehow there can be some good from all of this. What a cruel world we have created.

I find this quote by Aaron Snell interesting. "So at this point in time we're still processing through our tips and our leads and we're really working on developing a full picture of what occured the night of the incident and, as well, the nights before". Could something have happened the nights before that led to this? If that was the case wouldn't that lean towards Kaylee not being the target since she wasn't there?

I'm starting to wonder now about Kaylee not being the target too. I can't quite put my finger on why but my mind has started to put more weight in other thoughts.

I find this part interesting too...

Snell - We think it's very important and we appreciate that support from the family. We want additional leads as well. Anybody that had looked at some of their past social media posts or past pictures and think something's out of the ordinary, something's odd - we want that information. I think we've been consistent in saying that. The activity that might have been done within those pictures or those videos that people may or may not want to submit to the police. That's not what we're interested in. We're interested in the context of the crime. That way we can piece together aspects of this case. That we get a better picture.

I know they have asked before about people looking for something out of the ordinary or something odd, but I don't recall them asking for people to specifically check their social media for 'that something odd'. To me, that just stands out. Maybe they specified social media before and I just missed that.

Anyhow just my thoughts and random opinion.

Edit to add - I guess this is part of the reason I'm beginning to doubt who was the target. It sounds to me like LE is looking for some knowledge that took place prior to the night of, which in my mind makes Kaylee less of 'the' target. JMO

Last edited:
Please forgive me if this has been discussed. Went back in previous pages to check and couldn’t find anything. In regards to this picture posted yesterday, I believe- the car with its lights on has its front tire turning inward and brake lights are on. Could the white car that is parked with lights off actually been speeding off and the car with lights on is turning around because they were suspicious? (I originally thought it was a shot of the same car at different times to show it in opposite directions then realized the cars were different).
Great eye and great question

Even the big recent clue, the car, is more likely unrelated than related.
I think it's shortsighted to assume the car is white, assuming that it actually was white on the night of the murders. If this was planned in advance, it would be real easy to spray white peel paint over the normal color of the car, then just strip it off after the murders.

TRANSCRIPTION OF INTERVIEW WITH AARON SNELL

22ND DECEMBER.

Levy - Joining me to discuss the very latest in this investigation is Aaron Snell. He's a Public Information Officer, for the Idaho State Police, which is assisting Moscow Police with this investigation, along with the FBI and he's serving as a spokesperson for Moscow PD. Aaron, welcome to sidebar. Thanks for coming on.

Snell - Thank you for having me today. I appreciate it.

Levy - Aaron, what is the very latest?.

Snell - So at this point in time we're still processing through our tips and our leads and we're really working on developing a full picture of what occurred the night of the incident and, as well, the nights before. We're trying to add context. That way our investigators really have a full idea of what occurred and which direction that they need to go.

Levy - The last time we spoke, when I was in Idaho a couple of weeks ago, you said that the picture was becoming more clear. A couple of weeks has passed now. How much more clear is that picture now?.

Snell - We keep using this picture analogy, but it is true. The further we get into this, the more evidence that we receive back from our crime labs., we've been receiving all along now. The more analytics that we have, the more that we're able to see really what occurred. Again, we use the word context. We're trying to develop context. Talking with the various people that were around the victims that night. And we've done over 250 interviews. So really we are getting a clearer picture as we go. You know, the question then becomes how long does it take to have a full picture?. We're not sure. This is a very complex investigation. Has a lot of different in's and outs on it. And so from the crime scene itself to the fraternity house, to the businesses downtown. There's a lot of things that we need to know and there's potential for a suspect or suspects to be in any of the pictures or any of the videos. And so we really have to review things and take a really thorough look at this.. at this entirety of the crime.

Levy - You know, Captain Lanier said, in one of the videos recently, that you all have been able to see patterns and it sounds like patterns from your leads and possibly from the video. And he was talking about how they are confident, you all are confident, that somebody in that white Hyundai Elantra, between the years of 2011-2013, has information that is critical to this case. That to me sounds like - saying you're confident, you're pretty certain and it sounds like that vehicle from.. we've heard it was in the immediate area and we've also heard through another spokesperson that it was there. How close was this Hyundai Elantra to the house?.

Snell - We haven't exactly specified, but we do believe that it was in the immediate area of the residence around the time frame that, we believe, was the night of. And so we think that the occupant or occupants of that vehicle, potentially saw or heard or knows something about this case. And so that's why we put the information out. The information came through tips and leads and, so, as we processed it, we think that the occupant has some information to provide to us, which is why we put it out.

Levy - I've likened the search for this Hyundai Elantra to a search for the needle in the haystack. We know you've eliminated one of those vehicles as being the Elantra, found in Eugene, OR, that had been involved in a vehicle crash, that belonged to a woman and it was registered out of Colorado. So you've already eliminated that one. That leaves 21,999 or so to go. What's the progress on that?. What's the update on working through that list of vehicles?. Because that's a huge number of vehicles and.. Is that a nationwide list or what can you tell us about that?.

Snell - So I'll be a tiny bit more generic about it, but it is a list of vehicles that, potentially, could be in this area. It's received through all sorts of different sources and databases. And so as we look at that list, obviously, you know the ones that could be close to the area might be important and then as the ripples, as it gets a little further out, maybe those vehicles, potentially, would be less likely to be involved in an incident of this nature. And so you know we're able to, as we go through this list, we're looking for, again, different patterns and different trends and so as we're putting it all together, we're hoping that something will come to light and that we'll be able to use that to move forward.

Levy - We noticed too, in one of the recent updates, that about 14 FBI agents have been added to this case. Can you tell us why that number increased last week from 46 to 60?.

Snell - So really what we try to do, when we put out those numbers, is to give people a snapshot in time of what's occurring in this investigation. That's why we update the number of tips and the number of leads and the number of digital images and those types of things that we receive. We would like the public to understand the volume of information that we're processing and the number of people who are currently working on this case. So really that's a snapshot in time. As various projects come and go, those numbers will increase and decrease. And so, saying that we have additional FBI personnel assigned to this case is a little bit of a misnomer. As well, we have, I think, 25 ISP, Idaho State Police detectives assigned to that, most of the ones that are here and working on the case. That doesn't include the other ISP detectives and troopers throughout the entire state who are assisting in interviews and those kinds of things. So really what we're trying to do is - we're just trying to show a picture to our community, letting them know the volume and just the sheer magnitude of this case.

Levy - You have more than 10,000 tips. I think the numbers hovering around 15,000 now. That is a huge number. I don't know if people truly understand how much information that is and how much that is to go through. So how many of these have you been able to rule out as maybe not being fruitful?. Where are you in that process?.

Snell - So I don't have the exact number of tips and leads that we have actually processed through, but what I do know is that a lot of the resources that we're adding to our group, the FBI in particular, the leads and tips go through them and so there's a process to analyse each and every one of those leads and look at and review those leads and then assign them a priority. And so leads that potentially are... based on other information that we have in the case, those are assigned higher priority and we start working on those. But we are dedicated and motivated to process each and every one of those and actually analyse them and review them and make sure that they don't contain something that we really need for this investigation. We truly do believe that there is somebody somewhere out there, or maybe information that has already been provided, that is going to be the key to unlocking this entire crime, this entire investigation.

Levy - I've covered cases in the past where it was almost like a nugget came to the investigators. Something that might seem small, but it was a thread that they pulled on and it kind of just kept.. they kept pulling on it and it led to more information. In your experience, how important is that?. Because it could be just one thing or a couple of things that really open a pathway to leading to who did this.

Snell - That's 100% correct. I truly believe that there's going to be a piece or maybe, potentially, pieces of information out there that are going to connect together, almost like a puzzle. And when they do, it is truly going to open up, open up the doorway, and we're going to have a clear direction in which to go. And I think at that time, it's going to unravel quickly and we're going to be able to make determinations. The interesting thing is the information that we already have, the picture that we've already drawn - that will help us as we move forward to really put together what occurred. And so knowing a lot of those things and putting them together already, is going to help as well. So we recognise the public would like a quick end to this and that's what we would like as well. But these types of cases are large and they take time and so we recognise that there's frustrations out there, a lack of information, but again, ultimately, this is a complex criminal investigation and we will provide as much information as possible and we're always wanting more information as well from the public.

Levy - Speaking of more information from the public - The family of Xana Kernodle has sent out flyers. They sent some out last month and they've sent more out this week. Basically just begging people, asking people, with any information to come forward, whether it's the tip line, whether it's the digital media upload with the FBI site. They sent out, I think, 5000 or so of these flyers in the mail. So talk to me about how important that could be because this happened, a lot of people left campus and left town and you're saying you think there's somebody out there that knows something?.

Snell - We think it's very important and we appreciate that support from the family. We want additional leads as well. Anybody that had looked at some of their past social media posts or past pictures and think something's out of the ordinary, something's odd - we want that information. I think we've been consistent in saying that. The activity that might have been done within those pictures or those videos that people may or may not want to submit to the police. That's not what we're interested in. We're interested in the context of the crime. That way we can piece together aspects of this case. That we get a better picture.

Levy - Chief Fry released a video and said that he was addressing questions about leadership in this investigation. I think I know why he did that. There have been some things said about Moscow PD being too small to handle something like this. Obviously, Idaho State Police and the FBI are assisting with this investigation. He talked about the experience of his command staff. I saw some reporting the other day about the lead detective from Moscow only having two years of experience, but it sounds like he actually has more experience than that, at least, two years with Moscow PD, possibly, but more experience in law enforcement, possibly, military police training and things like that. Can you address that?. Why did Chief Fry feel the need to come out and do that?.

Snell - I do think it's important. There have been statements made in the public and in media and the Chief really wanted to stress that, indeed, this was his investigation. This is his agency. These crimes happened in his jurisdiction and so he is the Chief and he is the one leading these investigations. His command staff has ample experience, 94 years of experience combined. That's a lot of experience for any agency. And so, they have the right to pick whom they want to be in the positions that they are, the investigative teams and they have. The information out there is not always correct and I don't even think it's accurate when it comes in terms of saying that this agency's too small. It doesn't matter the size of the agency. You have a police chief who understands what he's doing. He understands how to get an investigation done and he's able and willing to call in additional resources. I think that's ultimately important. So at this point in time, we have some of the best and the brightest, both from Moscow Police Department, but the ISP and the FBI, all working on this case. And so when you have that much skill and technological wonderment and abilities, and you just have all that investigative skill, that's important and the Chief is the one that brought that all here. And so, when he says we're dedicated and motivated to get this case solved, you have to believe him, because it's true. He's willing to bring in those resources that can help and assist his agency.

Levy - Well, Aaron Snell, spokesperson for Moscow PD and Idaho State Police, thanks so much for joining. We really appreciate it.

Snell - Thank you for your time as well.
Thank you Allaboutthetrial for posting this transcript!
250 Interviews
60 FBI agents…

Woah…it reminds us that the LE are working as intensely as possible to get the perp/s..

Snells statement..’I truly believe that there's going to be a piece or maybe, potentially, pieces of information out there that are going to connect together, almost like a puzzle…’ sounds like the LE still haven’t got the chain of events in order yet…

Great points. The party house is a DNA nightmare.

You hope LE collected every possible microbe of possible evidence in every room. It’s probable that it isn’t a question of IF he left trace evidence, it’s WHERE he left it. If they miss one crumb, they chance missing him Completely (and he slips away into the night). I feel confident they are processing every inch of that crime scene. These things take time if they want them done properly. Jmoo
Moscow Press Release has been saying since Nov 25, 2022 that they have 113 pieces of physical evidence
Someone would have to explain to me how that can be a sample from every inch of the crime scene that could contain DNA from the killer. An explanation from PD would be helpful here, as this seems small considering four victims in a crime scene that must span at least from entrance to both bedrooms where victims were found.
113 Pieces of physical evidence??

JMO

Moscow Press Release has been saying since Nov 25, 2022 that they have 113 pieces of physical evidence
Someone would have to explain to me how that can be a sample from every inch of the crime scene that could contain DNA from the killer. An explanation from PD would be helpful here, as this seems small considering four victims in a crime scene that must span at least from entrance to both bedrooms where victims were found.
113 Pieces of physical evidence??

JMO

The only explanation I can think of is that they’re making a distinction between large objects that they can pick up and carry away, as opposed to ‘samples to be tested for possible DNA.’

So, on one hand, a handwritten diary, or a computer, etc., and on the other hand, a swab, (one of many,) tucked into a vial.

All my speculation

Even the big recent clue, the car, is more likely unrelated than related. In the DC area we had a crazy search for white van or white box truck identified as of interest by investigators. It drew thousand of calls to tip lines. Hundreds of people saw a white van being used suspiciously exactly when and where the sniper attacks occurred. As it turned out those snipers never once possessed or used a white van. They used a blue Chevy sedan the entire time. Of course police should be aggressively following the white elantra lead, but this goes to the fact that these are more often dead ends than not.
I am starting to think the same thing. If this is true, it would seem that they are grasping at straws, and that worries me about this investigation. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakerramsey