Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix
8 mins ·
BREAKING: Lori Vallow waives preliminary hearing set for 8/10-8/11. Expect case to move to district court. Waiting for more details.

I asked the question on Tuesday what the pros/cons of waiving the prelim would be as I think MM is WAY WAY WAY out of his league right now and they both may realize that.

ETA- Plus, much of the same evidence will be presented and they know the outcome. I was curious if they showed so much stuff in the prelim so they could not have to as much with LV...Now it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Well, darn. I myself would insist on a preliminary hearing if I were innocent. IMO, she didn't want the public and her family to see the gruesome details tying her to the murders.

By waiving it, she will lose the opportunity to see how some of that evidence "plays" in open court. It is true that the evidence isn't necessarily presented in its full detail in a preliminary hearing (it's only presented with intent to convince the judge there is sufficient evidence to hold the defendant over for trial), but at this point by waiving the preliminary hearing, Lori and her attorney are left only with how the evidence against Chad played in open court against the defendant, Chad.

And it's likely not exactly the same evidence and it certainly isn't the same person - the two children's MOTHER. Presumably, Means is aware of the evidence ahead of the preliminary hearing, so he would know the nature and extent of it. A person observing might be inclined to conclude it is very incriminating.

IF Means had any plans to argue a necessity for change of venue, I'm surprised he didn't argue for going ahead with the preliminary hearing, watching what happened with the press and public opinion, and attempting to use that as basis for the necessity of the change. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to remember what Means and Prior each said about possible future change of venue when talking about allowing video in the courtroom for Lori's preliminary hearing. Could Prior and Means be hoping to try in separate venues?

She signed the waiver on July 17th.

Justin Lum Fox 10 Phoenix
I wonder if Chad knew that.

ETA: Anyone know the date Means and Prior received discovery prior to the preliminary hearing? (I see Judge Eddins ruled on allowing video of the preliminary hearing - except for exhibits - on July 27.)

Last edited:
I saw that too.

Nothing against LDS, but he may have sympathies for some of Chads beliefs. All of them seem a little too close. Maybe that’s where the false sense of security came in for CD and LD.

Alternatively, he might also be extra hard on Chad and Lori because of the way they are twisting and adding to the church's belief system to fit their own desires.

Warning-graphic
By the amount of remains alone it would probably not be mistaken for a small animal. On another note, wouldn't the fact that part of the remains were found uncharred support the theory that Tlyee's body was dismembered before it was burned? If that were the case, where would that have taken place?

Always been a huge question for me. Tis where I feel there was someone else in the mix.
No pings have ever indicated this...but I cannot get that thought out of my mind. As bad as these folks are, I just don't see any of them capable of the dismemberment.

Just to get this in - so I can shorten it up.

Thursday, August 6th:
*Hearing (Fremont Co) (@ 9am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen 9/23/19 & Tylee on 9/8/19, Rexburg; found 6/9/20 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) – only for *Lori Norene Vallow-Daybell (46/now 47) arrested (in Hawaii) & charged (2/20/20) with 2 counts of felony desertion & nonsupport of dependent children (<dismissed on 7/2/20), amended (7/2/20) charged with resisting or obstructing LE, solicitation of a crime & contempt of court. $5M bond. Bond reduced (3/6/20) to $1M. Bond reduced (7/17/20) to $150K. Madison County
Trial set to begin on 1/25/21 (thru 1/29/21)
Guardianship hearing on 9/30/20.
7/17/20 Update: Defense attorney Mark Means requests a week for jury trial for this case. Vallow waived right to speedy trial asks for 6 months to prepare their case. Jury trial set for Jan 25-29, 2021 beginning 9am - Madison County: Judge was not prepared to take up the issue of bond today. Bond reduced to $150K ($50k for each charge). If she posts bond additional stipulation is no contact with co-conspirators. Pretrial conference hearing on 1/4/21.

Charged (6/30/20) with 2 counts of conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence. Bond set at $1M. Fremont County
Court info from 3/5/20 thru 7/10/20 reference post #585 here:
Found Deceased - ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #48

7/22/20 Update: A motion hearing is now scheduled to hear arguments from Rob Wood about having no video cameras for the preliminary hearing set for 8/10 & 8/11. Last week Wood asked Judge Faren Eddins to change his order governing courtroom conduct. Hearing is on 7/27/20 at 2:30pm.
7/24/20 Update: The court has granted permission to Post Register to photograph (not video/audio record or broadcast) LVD’s preliminary hearing on 8/10 & 8/11; and J. Prior has responded to the prosecutor’s motion (for court’s reconsideration regarding video coverage of CD’s preliminary hearing on 8/3 & 8/4), with no objection to court’s decision to allow video coverage. 7/24/20 Update: On Friday, East Idaho News jointly hired Idaho Falls attorney Steve Wright to object to the motion. Other media outlets participating include the Post Register, KIFI Local News 8, KPVI NewsChannel 6, The Idaho Statesman, KIVI Idaho News 6, KSLTV5, Court TV & NBC News.
7/27/20 Update: DECISION: Judge Eddins rules that Daybell & Vallow’s preliminary hearings in high profile case will be broadcast/live streamed to the public & hearings will be in person. One media outlet for video, One outlet for photo. Rob Wood motion’s to reconsider is denied. Order: Conflict of Interest: "Sealed hearings were held regarding a potential attorney conflict of interest. The Court listened carefully to the oral arguments and thoroughly reviewed documents submitted by the State and counsel for the Defendant. After exhaustive analysis, the Court finds that any conflict of interest has been adequately waived for the current proceedings. This case can proceed forward with current counsel." It is so Ordered.
7/30/20 Update: St. Martins Press is granted permission to video/audio record LVD's prelim (broadcast and photography not requested). FBI agents Steven Daniels, Gary Lyu & Benjamin Dean will testify again. Subpoenas officially filed for Vallow's preliminary hearing on 8/5/20.
8/6/20 Update: Vallow waives preliminary hearing set for 8/10-8/11. Expect case to move to district court. Spokesperson for Special Prosecutor Rob Wood confirms the waiver. Now a date will be set in district court for Vallow’s arraignment where she will plead guilty or not guilty to the charges. Attorney Mark Means has officially filed the motion. There will be a hearing at 11:30 a.m. Today, 8/6/20.
*Chad Guy Daybell (51) – Arraignment hearing 8/21/20.

Alternatively, he might also be extra hard on Chad and Lori because of the way they are twisting and adding to the church's belief system to fit their own desires.
Yes they sure did. That comment was not a slap against Mr. Wood.

I guess I am taking my cue from everything Melanie Gibbs has said. She claims to be a devout LDS member but she was making podcasts about strange beliefs before she met Lori. I listened to a podcast she did with Lori and some guy. He introduced Lori as “new” but said he had known MG for a long time and that this was not her first podcast. MG may have just come back to her faith. But she was “out there” for a while and she admired Chad every bit as much as Lori did.

So, it just makes me wonder how many people claim to be LDS but are in smaller, cult like groups. Someone on a YouTube channel was saying there were a LOT of the AVOW and PAP members in and around Rexburg. I wonder how all of them are feeling about their zombie beliefs right now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member