If Terri truly had no part in Kyron's disappearance...

I've wondered for some time now if Terri put Kyron at risk by her actions or acquaintances... and perhaps she doesn't know what she knows.

Given her obvious lack of judgement (or at the very least, the inability to determine what is socially appropriate behavior) or her strange response to high levels of stress as we've seen recently, I do have to consider that she did something very stupid and risky and may have unintentionally brought a Very Bad Person into her and the children's lives. It may not be that this person ever met Kyron before, I don't know.

IMO, she is a perfect target for a pedophile. SAHM with small kids, alone (and apparently lonely) in a rural setting, teacher, gullible and naive as hell when it comes to protecting their privacy and security, seems to have a bad habit of telling intimate details about herself (and her kids?) to total strangers, very needy and in need of contact and affirmation.

And contrary to what most people seem to think of her here, to me she comes off as a very submissive person who pretty much does what she's told and seeks to please everybody. To what degree, I don't know, but I have my suspicions. She certainly doesn't strike me as ice-water-in-the-veins, 'mastermind', take-control type at all.

Calliope I agree. TH may not have any clue about where Kyron is. She seemed to post on the internet a lot. I am sure she just went around town doing her business not looking for weirdos, given that TH and KH seem a bit outgoing. All that stuff on Facebook, Myspace, wherever is open and available. A predator could have followed them around, gotten names, license plates, then googled to their hearts content. Also, could go to gyms, clubs, wherever and listen, get to know others, insert self in conversations and wallah, instant info. Mom home, dad works, relationship issues, people running around not paying attention, child vanishes. Let's not forget mycrimespace.com is there for a reason. That is what first enlightened me not to post children's pics or info, not even you own. (Actually is was Steve Huff, he wrote crimeblogs for a while. I lost track of him though.)

As far as a perp being found? Depends on Kyron being found and any evidence, perp accidentally being seen with Kyron, perp giving it up later. You have all already discussed perp found scenarios.We just have to wait, sadly.

ETA: I also agree with everything else in your post. ;)

Speculation, rumor, hearsay, wild media headlines, frenzied internet comments, sexting, and direct accusations do NOT make a person guilty.

What makes a person guilty is evidence coupled with forensic evidence. I feel the fueled unidirectional focus on Terri was been the result of LE and those who love Kyron. Answering a horrific question by pointing toward the most convenient person is cowardly and risky.

If Terry is not the one responsible, then what? What's next? Hunting down another convenient person? I fear that if Terry is not responsible, they may never find the person who committed this horrific crime. :eek: moo

On the bolded by me sentence-actually, what makes person guilty is if they indeed did the crime. Whether or not evidence, forensic or otherwise, will be used to convict them in a court of law doesn't change the actual fact of someone being guilty-if they did it, they are guilty, if they didn't, they are not-think OJ Simpson...

As an example: I was thinking about the Christopher Danby/Shane Walker cases the other day. Those two disappearances took place in the same park and involved the same brother/sister pair playing with each of them just minutes before they disappeared. Even though police have repeatedly said that they do not believe those two children were involved, well, it's hard to overlook, isn't it?

snipped by me

do you have a link with info? I dont know those cases and google tells me nothing but this thread :biglaugh:

http://www.kptv.com/news/24256180/detail.html

Frank Colistro, a forensic psychologist, said people following the case should be careful when pointing the finger at Terri Horman because authorities have not named her as a suspect or even a person of interest.

"We can do a disservice to the investigation by taking attention off other people who maybe ought to be observed and looked at," Colistro said.

http://www.friendsofmystery.org/meeting.htm

Dr. Frank Colistro is a consulting psychologist for several law enforcement agencies including the Behavioral and Risk Services Unit of the Oregon Department of Corrections, the Cold Case Unit of the Portland Police Bureau as well as a criminal profiler for several agencies. He also works with the Oregon Board of Parole, providing psychological assessment of inmate’s potential of recidivism. Dr. Colistro has consulted with prosecution and defense attorneys on topics such as homicide investigations, major sex crimes and domestic violence cases.

The man's got credentials, professional experience, and then some. I'm glad he offered his insight.

IMO, Dr. Colistro would be an excellent guest speaker on Levi's radio program. I'd definitely tune in to hear what he has to say.

I've wondered for some time now if Terri put Kyron at risk by her actions or acquaintances... and perhaps she doesn't know what she knows.

Given her obvious lack of judgement (or at the very least, the inability to determine what is socially appropriate behavior) or her strange response to high levels of stress as we've seen recently, I do have to consider that she did something very stupid and risky and may have unintentionally brought a Very Bad Person into her and the children's lives. It may not be that this person ever met Kyron before, I don't know.

IMO, she is a perfect target for a pedophile. SAHM with small kids, alone (and apparently lonely) in a rural setting, teacher, gullible and naive as hell when it comes to protecting their privacy and security, seems to have a bad habit of telling intimate details about herself (and her kids?) to total strangers, very needy and in need of contact and affirmation.

And contrary to what most people seem to think of her here, to me she comes off as a very submissive person who pretty much does what she's told and seeks to please everybody. To what degree, I don't know, but I have my suspicions. She certainly doesn't strike me as ice-water-in-the-veins, 'mastermind', take-control type at all.

ITA with your description of her personality. That is my take as well.

Feel free to delete this thread, if it is a dup or a problem...

My point is my belief that Terri being guilty is the best chance for a resolution in this case. If it's not her...are we looking at an unsolved mystery forever?

Could be, cluciano, and that is what concerns me. I've often seen LE zone in on one person to the extent of ignoring every other lead they get. Then it comes down to not having enough evidence to charge that person, and every hope of getting evidence on someone else is lost. Then it becomes a cold case. (And as an aside, I think this is what happened in the Haleigh Cummings case.)
I'm not dissing LE in this case, I have great respect for them... I have a son with LE, but I know they are subject to mistakes just like anyone else.
I do not want this to turn into a cold case. I want Kyron found and brought home. But I also don't want to see someone's life ruined if it turns out she did not have anything to do with this.

Gosh, how do you know that? We don't know what evidence there is in this case. LE is in the middle of an investigation and possibly building a criminal case. To my knowledge, they have yet to release one piece of evidence or have given any statements at all regarding what they have or don't.
It takes a long time to build a solid case. They could have a slew of evidence that they are putting together and using to solve this case.

Actually, they don't have to build the whole case, all they have to have is probable cause to arrest and charge someone. Once a person is charged, the prosecutors build the case, based on the evidence LE finds.
If they had anything pointing to Terri as being the culprit right now, I would think she would be in jail. Trials don't start immediately, sometimes they are a year or more down the road. There would be ample time to build a case against her. With that said... I'm sure LE wants to do it right to make sure it will not get thrown out.
What the problem seems to be is... either there is no concrete proof that she did any harm to Kyron... or the DA is refusing to prosecute until there is more solid evidence.

On the bolded by me sentence-actually, what makes person guilty is if they indeed did the crime. Whether or not evidence, forensic or otherwise, will be used to convict them in a court of law doesn't change the actual fact of someone being guilty-if they did it, they are guilty, if they didn't, they are not-think OJ Simpson...

Oh, my goodness! How many people have been wrongfully convicted of crimes they did not commit? People have been exonerated 20 and 30 years after going to prison, because DNA proved they didn't do it, but DNA was not available at the time of their trials.
Evidence, esp. forensic evidence is good. But when it comes down to the wire, the JURY will decide, and history proves that juries don't always get it right. I wish that were not true, but it is.
Also, did you know that being found "not guilty" does NOT mean "innocent?" It just means that there was reasonable doubt, the jury did not believe the prosecution proved its case, and the person was acquitted. Guilty people have walked out of court on free feet just because of that. And innocent people have been found guilty because the defense didn't really try, or the jury didn't believe them.
Justice is blind, and sometimes... deaf and dumb as well.

Because I am thinking about this I want to put it down somewhere. He's with SM, but left something in car. He gets 150 ft away because he needs to use the bathroom, she stays behind. He pops in talks to his friend and then heads to the bathroom, then heads back out the door towards the parking lot alone expecting to find his SM. Thats when something happened either through SM or stranger.

A sexual offender is foremost on my mind but IDK.

Yes I think the real perp will be brought to justice no matter who it may turn out to be & I believe there will be ample evidence to prove the case against whoever did this crime. I believe LE is following leads, checking out areas around the school and being thorough as humanly possible. In another thread I was reading about this. They're definitely looking at more people than just the stepmother.

http://www.kptv.com/news/24248542/detail.html

Other people living in the area said their homes and properties have been searched as many as three times.

Because I am thinking about this I want to put it down somewhere. He's with SM, but left something in car. He gets 150 ft away because he needs to use the bathroom, she stays behind. He pops in talks to his friend and then heads to the bathroom, then heads back out the door towards the parking lot alone expecting to find his SM. Thats when something happened either through SM or stranger.

A sexual offender is foremost on my mind but IDK.

Plausible scenario, except if SM was expecting him to return from the bathroom, she would have known he was missing right away.

I keep coming back to the pesky Dr.'s appointment around which so much mystery & confusion swirls.

It hasn't been confirmed whether or not there was ever indeed an appointment, but TH's friend JF has relayed on behalf of TH that there was (according to TH) an appointment.

Finster said Horman had told Kyron's teacher the day before that she was taking the boy to the doctor on Friday, June 11, and gave the teacher paperwork to fill out related to the appointment.

Finster said that when Kyron didn't show up at the bus the afternoon of June 4, Horman talked to the teacher who said she thought that Horman had taken Kyron to the doctor that day. Horman told Finster that the child's teacher was new, in her first year of teaching, and was hard of hearing in one ear. "She doesn't know if she understood her," Finster said. source: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/friend_says_terry_moulton_horm.html

KH states:

"There was some discussion about the appointment but it was unknown exactly when the appointment was scheduled so we cannot comment for certain." source: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/horman_family_answers_question.html

IMO, the appointment, and all the confusion surrounding it, could be one of the reasons why DY & TY are convinced of TH's premeditated involvement.

The appointment question has yet to be fully & sufficiently answered, as far as I'm concerned.

Here are my questions:

1. Was there a bona fide appointment?

2. Did TH inform the teacher "the day before" (June 3rd) of such an appointment?

3. Was the teacher confused as to the date of the alleged appt.? If she was confused, what factors may have led to the confusion?

4. Is it possible the teacher really did misunderstand what she may have been told about the appt. (if she was truly told anything about an appt. at all)?

5. If TH informed the teacher of an appt., was the perceived lack of clarity regarding this appt. deliberate or unintentional on TH's part?

So many questions, so few answers.

will the real perp ever be caught?

I know that according to the new poll, most people think she is guilty or involved, but if she is not...will LE ever catch up with the real offender, with so much effort being expended on what Terri did that day, etc...? Is Terri being guilty the best chance to have a resolution in this case?

LE (and the media) was stone-cold set on Richard Ricci as the perp in the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping. Oops.
The real bad guy was caught in the end, but that was because the fam knew it wasn't Ricci and went around the obstacle via AMW.

So it can happen. Just not likely to.

I wanted to say I understand what you mean. That if a person does a crime and is never found out, the fact remains they still did the crime.

I keep coming back to the pesky Dr.'s appointment around which so much mystery & confusion swirls.

It hasn't been confirmed whether or not there was ever indeed an appointment, but TH's friend JF has relayed on behalf of TH that there was (according to TH) an appointment.

Finster said Horman had told Kyron's teacher the day before that she was taking the boy to the doctor on Friday, June 11, and gave the teacher paperwork to fill out related to the appointment.

Finster said that when Kyron didn't show up at the bus the afternoon of June 4, Horman talked to the teacher who said she thought that Horman had taken Kyron to the doctor that day. Horman told Finster that the child's teacher was new, in her first year of teaching, and was hard of hearing in one ear. "She doesn't know if she understood her," Finster said. source: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/friend_says_terry_moulton_horm.html

KH states:

"There was some discussion about the appointment but it was unknown exactly when the appointment was scheduled so we cannot comment for certain." source: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/horman_family_answers_question.html

IMO, the appointment, and all the confusion surrounding it, could be one of the reasons why DY & TY are convinced of TH's premeditated involvement.

The appointment question has yet to be fully & sufficiently answered, as far as I'm concerned.

Here are my questions:

1. Was there a bona fide appointment?

2. Did TH inform the teacher "the day before" (June 3rd) of such an appointment?

3. Was the teacher confused as to the date of the alleged appt.? If she was confused, what factors may have led to the confusion?

4. Is it possible the teacher really did misunderstand what she may have been told about the appt. (if she was truly told anything about an appt. at all)?

5. If TH informed the teacher of an appt., was the perceived lack of clarity regarding this appt. deliberate or unintentional on TH's part?

So many questions, so few answers.

And here's one more important question:

It's been alleged that TH e-mailed the teacher on the afternoon of June 4th asking about when she could pick up K's science fair project. It's also been alleged that TH gave the teacher paperwork (the day before) to fill out for the Dr. appt.

If it's true that TH e-mailed the teacher asking about the science fair project, would it not have been a good time for TH to have also asked if she had completed the paperwork, or inquired about a convenient time to pick up the completed paperwork?

IMO, the paperwork for the Dr. appt. would have taken precedence over picking up the project.

MOO

I don't mean this in an ugly way, but of course this case has a half-deaf teacher. I mean, is there anything this case doesn't have? Seriously.

One reason I've been quick to discount Terri using the appointment as a way to purposefully confuse the teacher, is because it directly implicates her. It's a little obvious, IMHO. However, more importantly, why try to confuse the teacher? The school didn't have a policy to call home when a student was absent. There was no need for Terri to confuse the teacher to "buy time." If she did this, and knew the policy, she knew they wouldn't call anyway.

I don't mean this in an ugly way, but of course this case has a half-deaf teacher. I mean, is there anything this case doesn't have? Seriously.

One reason I've been quick to discount Terri using the appointment as a way to purposefully confuse the teacher, is because it directly implicates her. It's a little obvious, IMHO. However, more importantly, why try to confuse the teacher? The school didn't have a policy to call home when a student was absent. There was no need for Terri to confuse the teacher to "buy time." If she did this, and knew the policy, she knew they wouldn't call anyway.

I know what you mean - I'm just awaiting the grand entrance of a harlequin dwarf, a tattooed sword swallower, & a fire-juggling acrobat.

Good points made about the appointment, but I still can't discount it as a possible key. It's the one thing that sticks in my craw, especially with so much song & dance around it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back