IL IL - Batavia, WhtFem UP89934, UnkAge, in wall of residence, Nov'78

Romulus

Reaction score
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP90186
Female, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found: November 12, 1978
Location Found: Batavia, Illinois
Estimated Age Range--

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Circumstances of Recovery: Reported as bones found in wall of residence while remodeling a room in the home. Condition of Remains: Currently available for further testing is a single, incomplete cranium with no duplicated elements, right temporal not present, and damage to the right zygomatic.

So part of a skull and nothing else? Probably really old...Or just plain old weird....

We've seen some weird stuff come out of remodeling old homes...

Bones discovered in 1978 and NAMUS file created just now...
Could be an old medical specimen also. I wish we knew the address where she was found so we could see when the house was originally built/ if a doctor had ever resided there.

I came across a woman today during an unrelated search (missing from Chicago since 1936). This UID case is the only one I can think of that could be a match, but without a PMI it’s hard to say. I also can’t find any source officially verifying she’s missing. She’s this man’s stepdaughter.

I wish the newspaper clipping was clearer. It says she was found in the walls of a barbershop apartment. It would appear the the rest of her remains were disposed of elsewhere( I wonder if there was a basement, if they ever remodeled it). Given the fact it was a barbershop apartment, it was perhaps lived in by whoever had run the barbershop or other businesses in the building over the years. Although perhaps it was rented out to others. Still, it seems like the chances are the remains would be left by someone who owned the building ( most likely)or rented the whole building and knew nobody else would be doing anything in the apartment or building or scrutinizing if something on the wall looked out of place. Maybe even renters would feel secure doing that if they had their business in the building and the landlord didn't come around much. It could be just a random renter of just the apartment, but if there was a barbershop or other business downstairs you'd think they'd be worried about doing something to the wall that might cause issues to a downstairs wall or something or there would be a smell.

Given that old bottles were found in the walls, my guess would be these remains are fairly old and if the person was reported missing it might be a historical case. Just a guess.

Dec 26, 2023
The Kane County Coroner is trying to raise $7,500 to identify a skull found in the wall of a home in Batavia in 1978.

Kane County Coroner raising money to identify woman's skull found in Batavia home in 1978

''KANE COUNTY, Ill. (WLS) -- The Kane County Coroner is trying to raise $7,500 to identify a skull found in 1978.

The skull was discovered in the wall of a home in Batavia during a renovation project. Testing done at the time determined the skull belonged to a woman in her 20s. Tests also found it had been in the wall for decades.''

Dec 26, 2023
The Kane County Coroner is trying to raise $7,500 to identify a skull found in the wall of a home in Batavia in 1978.

Kane County Coroner raising money to identify woman's skull found in Batavia home in 1978

''KANE COUNTY, Ill. (WLS) -- The Kane County Coroner is trying to raise $7,500 to identify a skull found in 1978.

The skull was discovered in the wall of a home in Batavia during a renovation project. Testing done at the time determined the skull belonged to a woman in her 20s. Tests also found it had been in the wall for decades.''
Over $2K already raised according to @othram 's page!

• Rebecca Johnson Jan 12, 2024
  • 45 years ago, a woman found a human skull in her home. Now DNA, genetics technology and fundraising may help police solve the mystery
  • ''A couple remodeling their rented home in Batavia, Illinois, 45 years ago found some interesting items behind the walls — old bottles, shoes and corncobs. But one discovery was the stuff of nightmares.
    While ripping out a plaster wall, the wife spotted human bones in the debris, including a piece of a skull and a lower jawbone, according to a 1978 article from the Batavia Chronicle.
    “When I first found it, I was hysterical,” Martha Skinner told the newspaper. “I could tell it was human because of its size and I just freaked out.”

• ''Once the bones were in the coroner’s possession, Russell said he began a deep dive into possible identification techniques. During his research he came across Othram.''
rbbm
<modsnip - case info for another thread>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member