GUILTY IL - Chicago, Female body in cardboard box, Jan'07 - Marlaina Reed

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this case! We even have a bust to go off of! I'm going to continue to bump Chicago Jane to hopefully generate more interest in her case.

Tragic End To A Young Life

A little more than a month after AMW ran the story of Chicago Jane Doe, the young woman has been identified. With the help of a local dentist, Chicago Police identified Jane Doe as teenager Marlaina Reed.

You might remember that Jane Doe had distinctive braces on her teeth and it looked like she had tried to pull them off herself. A Chicago dentist and his receptionist saw pictures of Jane Doe as well the sketches done by AMW's own Karen Taylor and recognized the young girl and the dental work. They contacted police and a positive identification was made. Windy city detectives are now one step closer to solving Marlaina's case, but they still need your help to find her killer.

Source: http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=49245

RIP Marlaina: http://www.childseeknetwork.com/?archive=2167

Interesting that Marlaina's Child Seek Network information lists her at 174lbs. She must have lost weight after she ran away.

I'm glad Jane Doe was identified. The age bracket and height was correct. I'm not sure I could put the real face with the bust and sketch unless I knew the girl and knew she was missing.

Chicago Jane Doe is listed as having brown eyes. Marlaina had blue eyes. I guess they couldn't really tell what color Chicago Jane Doe's eyes were then. I find it interesting that Marlaina's information says she has a scar on the back of her right leg. Isn't that the same leg that she was wearing the knee brace on? So, I wonder if she had had some surgery?

So glad she's Identified! I sure hope they find out what the rest of the story is now ..

Good work to everyone :clap:

I'm glad she has been identified too. Surprised she was someone from Chicago.

RIP Marlaina.

Interesting that Marlaina's Child Seek Network information lists her at 174lbs. She must have lost weight after she ran away.
Living on the streets does tend to do that.... Glad they identified her!

R.I.P. Marlaina. I'm so happy they put a name to her and hope her family can now have some closure.

Chicago Jane Doe is listed as having brown eyes. Marlaina had blue eyes. I guess they couldn't really tell what color Chicago Jane Doe's eyes were then. I find it interesting that Marlaina's information says she has a scar on the back of her right leg. Isn't that the same leg that she was wearing the knee brace on? So, I wonder if she had had some surgery?

RK, I don't think they were sure what color eyes she had because of the state of decomposition she was in when they found her. They did sketches of her with blue eyes and with brown eyes, just in case. Either way, I'm glad they ID'd her. I hope they find her killer ASAP!

Here are the sketches with her with brown eyes and blue eyes for comparison:

Sktch_braces_CTE1.jpg

frontal_finished_lteyes_CTE1.jpg

dee, thanks for the information about the eye color. I was just stating that her information (on doenetwork) stated her eyes were brown which could have been misleading to some who only viewed her doenetwork information. I think the doenetwork information should have listed her eye color as unknown in this case.

dee, thanks for the information about the eye color. I was just stating that her information (on doenetwork) stated her eyes were brown which could have been misleading to some who only viewed her doenetwork information. I think the doenetwork information should have listed her eye color as unknown in this case.

No problem! You're welcome. I kind of figured they probably couldn't distinguish eye color and guessed... Either way, thank God she's found and the family can have some closure now.

Dentist Helps Police ID Body Of Beaten Teen

Girl's Body Found In Box On NW Side

POSTED: 8:10 am CST January 28, 2008
UPDATED: 8:25 am CST January 28, 2008

CHICAGO -- Chicago police have identified the body of a battered teenage girl who was found inside a box on the Northwest Side a year ago.Dental records have identified the victim as Marlaina Reed, 17, of the Danville area, a law enforcement source told the Chicago Sun-Times. Further details were going to be discussed at a news conference Monday morning.Reed also went by the first name "Nicki,'' the source said.

More at link: http://www.nbc5.com/family/15152640/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

FYI: Danville, IL is about 140 miles South of Chicago and about 40 miles East of Champaign/Urbana and is quite close to the Indiana border.

I wonder why she ran away to Chicago? Was there a boyfriend there? I hope LE is looking into all possible men that could have been in her life. Maybe she was seduced by the allure of a big city and had a boyfriend in Chicago that was an aspiring musician. Maybe a man she met on the Internet asked her to come to Chicago with less than the best intentions...

They do say that she was in Chicago for about a year before she was found dead in the alley...

Hi everyone,
I have had almost no opportunity to log on and be on the boards and do any research lately! :( But what a shock/thrill to see this progress.

RK,
Good eye. Thanks for finding that article and reporting it back to us!

Dee,
Thanks for always having bumped the thread.

Thanks to everyone who jumped in this case and contributed to it. It was my first time posting on WS and you were all so welcoming and helpful. I am sad for her family, but I am "glad" Jane could finally be identified and be put partly to rest. Now the search for her killer continues, and I hope he/she/they can be brought to justice soon.

Clemy

I am so glad that she was identified! I only wish she could have come home under diffferent circumstances. RIP Marlaina.

I'm so relieved this girl has been identified. Still a lot of unanswered questions about her - and her killer(s) is still out there. May she RIP.

This little girl was lost long before she was found in that alley. I'm so sorry. I hope they at least will find whoever murdered her. :furious:
Fairy, I agree. The one thing from that article which was comforting to me is that an organization which helps young women on the street knew Marlaina ("Niki") and cared about her and now grieves for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ81
Back