Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

I just disagree. Experience with this level of executive and income would lead me to believe he must have a huge savings, huge retirement plan, and plenty of assets. 20+ years with one company would add to that. Now, whether or not he’s accessing it or had accessed any of the funds available to him would be my question.

He has lots of experience in other countries, served on boards with other execs of large companies, he has the knowledge, wherewithal, and connections to disappear if he wanted to. MOO.

Here is a link with info on some of the boards he has served on.
Company Leadership | United Airlines Holdings, Inc.
Jake has been an active leader in regional business organizations, including serving on the Boards of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong, the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Young Leaders Circle of the Executives’ Club of Chicago.

I just disagree. Experience with this level of executive and income would lead me to believe he must have a huge savings, huge retirement plan, and plenty of assets. 20+ years with one company would add to that. Now, whether or not he’s accessing it or had accessed any of the funds available to him would be my question.

He has lots of experience in other countries, served on boards with other execs of large companies, he has the knowledge, wherewithal, and connections to disappear if he wanted to. MOO.

Here is a link with info on some of the boards he has served on.
Company Leadership | United Airlines Holdings, Inc.
Jake has been an active leader in regional business organizations, including serving on the Boards of the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong, the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Young Leaders Circle of the Executives’ Club of Chicago.
Income and savings have absolutely nothing to do with each other.....

Well people can go missing if they want to. They can’t access a missing adults bank account, phone records, Facebook or anything without a warrant or a court order. They don’t miraculously watch missing peoples bank accounts. Now if family members have access and are able to do that that’s a different story.
I don’t think I mentioned anywhere in my post “miraculously“. Where have you seen that? Of course with a court order. IANAL but I think if someone have to pay alimony or child support and fails to do that it should be easier to get one. I’m not saying that is the case here, because I have absolutely no way to know and definitely IANAL. Indeed loved one can have access too.

Adults have the right to disappear unless they themself send LE to a wild goose chase. Like making someone believe you are kidnapped and need help.
But in this case I still have the feeling this is not a “let’s go and build a new life somewhere else” kind of case. Only time will tell, or not.

Because of what he was wearing to me this could be an off the grid adventure went terribly wrong.
I do hope one day his loved ones will have answers.

So did they see him enter the preserve on foot? They mentioned he entered wearing certain clothes, so I'm assuming it was on foot, as you wouldn't see his footwear from inside a vehicle. So he parked and walked in? Or at least walked past this camera, wherever it is?

I'm wondering if he had someone pick him up inside the park so he could "disappear"? Maybe he knew there were cameras that would pick him up going inside so he wanted to stage it to look like he disappeared while hiking. I am curious if they have watched what other cars went in or out that day. All MOO of course.

Some people get into a pattern of taking uppers for long periods of work and then downers for sleeping or relaxation. The alcohol could be his downer.
Addiction is addiction and many people use a variety of drugs to calm their addiction and their motives.
He was reported to be "intoxicated" by someone who saw him at his home thurs. eve.
aug. 6th. He was not reported missing til Aug. 8th.
He missed a company event on Fri. Aug. 7th.

The admin. of the Find Jake fb forum believes
he is still alive and they're working on "clearing his name" and "bringing him home". This admin. said the investigation is for something that should be legalized but is not currently.

Seeing that the criminal investigation appears to involve something that he's running from and possibly embarrassed about, it sorta narrows it down for me.
My opinions only-

my guess for should be legalized but currently isn’t would be pot

I have never been to Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve, but I don't believe I have ever seen any camera at an entrance to a forest preserve. I think the "confirmation" of Jake being seen entering the FP is rumor. His car was found on a street near the FP, but not in an actual FP parking lot.

He could have parked on the side of the road and had an Uber pick him up and bring him to another location. Super easy to do.

I’m trying to trace back who reported Jake missing and how that came about. The first instance I find is here. Also would like to know where he was the night before, and where he was expected August 6 and 7th.

Fired Employee, Domestic Battery: Elmhurst Cops

• A person was reported missing Aug. 8 from a residence in the 400 block of Rex Boulevard. The person had not been seen in days. The person's information was entered into a database. Police did not release the person's name.

United Airlines Executive Still Missing, 20 Days Later | One Mile at a Time

BBM
  • On Thursday, August 6, Cefolia returned from California, and was seen at home by family and coworkers
  • On Friday, August 7, Cefolia missed a corporate event; however, he was seen on video getting gas at around 10AM, and was also seen on video entering Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve, wearing hiking boots and khakis (which isn’t typically what you’d wear if you’re going on a jog)
  • He didn’t take any traceable devices with him, as his cell phone and Apple Watch were both found at home
  • On Saturday, August 8, Cefolia was reported missing
  • On Monday, August 10, Cefolia’s family hired a private investigator
  • On Friday, August 14, and Saturday, August 15, large searches of the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve were carried out
  • During searches, articles of clothing were found, which were turned over to police; at least the shoes were not Cefolila’s, while it’s not clear if a shirt that was found was his
  • A rotting smell was also reported, but that turned out to be a decaying deer
These “coworkers” are the last to see Jake besides family...wonder what they know about his mental state that night.

These “coworkers” are the last to see Jake besides family...wonder what they know about his mental state that night.
Yes, I shared that but I’m honestly not sure about it’s veracity. When you read the article it seems like that info was taken from the Facebook group- which I can’t trust. I’d love another source

Last edited:
Yes, I shared that but I’m honestly not sure about it’s veracity. When you read the article it seems like that info was taken from. The Facebook group- which I can’t trust. I’d love another source

Best post regarding Jakes case. The Patch reports FB drama so I take whatever is reported by the Patch with a grain of salt. I've noticed 98% of what is reported in the Patch is repeats of what is reported elsewhere, whether or not the elsewhere is considered a reliable source. Travel sites are business related, not necessarily investigative related so I weigh the information reported accordingly.

Given what has, or rather has not been made public by Elmhurst police and the requests made by Jake's family for privacy, I think the MP report was simply a formality so someone could take over his financial affairs during his absense.

I still believe Jake is where he wants to be, doing what he wants to be doing. He'll reappear when he is ready to.

I’m trying to trace back who reported Jake missing and how that came about. The first instance I find is here. Also would like to know where he was the night before, and where he was expected August 6 and 7th.

Fired Employee, Domestic Battery: Elmhurst Cops

• A person was reported missing Aug. 8 from a residence in the 400 block of Rex Boulevard. The person had not been seen in days. The person's information was entered into a database. Police did not release the person's name.
Supposedly he missed a golf outing on 8/7, affiliated w/ United. Haven't seen anything on his whereabouts on Aug. 6th except he was seen at home and was intoxicated.
no link, moo

Well, this is a trusted source. Search for missing United Airlines executive continues after police confirm Jake Cefolia was being investigated before his disappearance
Investigators with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County are continuing their search for a United Airlines executive who was reported missing from his Illinois home on August 8.
As CrimeOnline first reported, Elmhurst police disclosed on Monday that 49-year-old Jake Cefolia of Elmhurst is the subject of a criminal investigation that began prior to his disappearance earlier this month. Cefolia is the Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales at United Airlines, and his last confirmed sighting was on August 6.

CrimeOnline obtained an incident report documenting the discovery of Cefolia’s vehicle in a gravel parking lot adjacent to the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve on August 8. In the early morning hours of that Saturday, a deputy from the DuPage Sheriff’s Department twice ran the registration of a Land Rover belonging to Cefolia, before he was reported missing. Later that night, a law enforcement officer from the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County ran the car’s registration again, apparently from the same location, and the license plate number triggered a missing and endangered persons alert. The incident report notes that nothing suspicious was observed in the vehicle on the night of August 8. Multiple agencies and two K-9 units began searching for Cefolia that night.

"Pederson said that a K-9 search and rescue organization would be providing trained dogs, not used in previous searches for Cefolia, for an additional search of the preserve on Wednesday, September 2."

So, jumping off the location mentioned above, gravel parking lot adjacent to the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve, I think his vehicle would have been found here in this picture.
Google Earth Link

Google Earth
#googleearth

Which begs the question, why there and not in the lot? Was it full? I do notice the bus route right there. Was his car dropped there by himself or someone else? Is there video of him entering the preserve?
upload_2020-8-30_11-46-35.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Cubby, I'm in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago - I haven't seen or heard of this case on any local news stations/sources. Oddly it only showed up in my Google News feed - and of course led me to search here at W.S.
SAME, I heard of this today, and am new to the websleuths forum, and am finding this so fascinating being local to this.
It didn't seem like he was going running, so why leave the watch and phone home?
Im wondering why this has NO PRESS.

Last edited:
I’m just going to jump in and say this because so many have helped me in the past. We try to stick with reported facts here. We can’t bring rumor from social media here. It can often hinder efforts and confuse facts. Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

If you think your post violates you can edit it( within an hour of posting) or report it.

His home in Elmhurst was listed for sale 64 days ago and sale was pending on August 5, 2020. He went missing the following day. (you can find the address through whitepages, and then type it in google to get the Redfin and Zillow listings).
I see there is an OPEN House today for his home.
Looks like a really nice home.
Not sure if pending sale is still going on but they are still having open houses/showings.
His department is downsizing and he has had to give the bad news to his employees, he is selling is home.
I don't know, but just don't have a good feeling and wondering about his mental health.
Although, it appears he runs/works out frequently and we all know that does help mentally as well as physically so maybe a volunteer missing, but he would have to sign for selling of his house unless spouse (do we know if he is married??) or family member has POA then they can sign for him.
Hoping Jake is found soon !!!

I don’t think I mentioned anywhere in my post “miraculously“. Where have you seen that? Of course with a court order. IANAL but I think if someone have to pay alimony or child support and fails to do that it should be easier to get one. I’m not saying that is the case here, because I have absolutely no way to know and definitely IANAL. Indeed loved one can have access too.

Adults have the right to disappear unless they themself send LE to a wild goose chase. Like making someone believe you are kidnapped and need help.
But in this case I still have the feeling this is not a “let’s go and build a new life somewhere else” kind of case. Only time will tell, or not.

Because of what he was wearing to me this could be an off the grid adventure went terribly wrong.
I do hope one day his loved ones will have answers.

He has EVERY right to simply disappear. He hasn't sent anyone on a wild goose chase either, he just up and left. Doesn't mean there wasn't foul play but if he is living somewhere in the middle of Wyoming he has every right to do that.

Didn't see the part about him being investigated. THat changes things. Still though, it doesn't change my point that an adult in general does not have to give an explanation to anyone as to where they are.

Last edited:
Well, this is a trusted source. Search for missing United Airlines executive continues after police confirm Jake Cefolia was being investigated before his disappearance
Investigators with the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County are continuing their search for a United Airlines executive who was reported missing from his Illinois home on August 8.
As CrimeOnline first reported, Elmhurst police disclosed on Monday that 49-year-old Jake Cefolia of Elmhurst is the subject of a criminal investigation that began prior to his disappearance earlier this month. Cefolia is the Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales at United Airlines, and his last confirmed sighting was on August 6.

SO--it is interesting that he is the subject of a criminal investigation prior to his disappearance.
I guess I need to go digging as I am curious as to what the investigation is about.

To successfully disappear one needs money, it doesn’t matter how much money one has made in his life, what matters is if he can access it. I suspect officially missing persons bank accounts are flagged/watched. If you can’t use your own money, you have to find other ways to support yourself. New high paying job is out of the question as it would lead back to your SS Nr I suppose.

I work for a bank, and this is patently untrue. Unless there is a warrant, no one can access that info. He could conceivably continue to use a bank account in his own name and the bank won't ever give out that information.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beanmom4ever
Back