IL IL - John Spira, 45, DuPage County, 23 Feb 2007

On Thursday I drove by the building which housed Johns business and a "Sold" sign was on the realtors for sale sign. I sure hope investigators used ground penetrating radar to make sure John wasn't wrapped in that missing roll of plastic and buried somewhere on the property. The fencing around the parking lot and property would have easily allowed digging without anyone being able to see from the road.

Thank you! Will you please note on the FB page the property has a sign indicating it has sold.
Stephanie is aware. When she was first notified it was for sale, she said "I was just told that the building being for sale was “common knowledge” and that it had been for sale since prior to about April of last year, if not by this realtor, maybe others. If thats the case, I was ot aware of that." However, the property never shows as listed prior to 12/30/19 and it went to contingent very quickly. Strange.

I read somewhere that Stephanie had hired a PI. Not sure if they are still working the case but if so, hopefully they were able to search the business property for evidence/clues before it was purchased by another entity. Does anyone even know if DS’s wife still owned the property after the fire and rebuild? Is that who rebuilt and put it up for sale?

One thing I am curious about after reading through all the posts is this... I have read that John’s cell last pinged both in the area of his business and in the area of his and his ex wife’s house. Are these 2 located within the same areas? If not, which is accurate? The reason I ask, is I would be curious to know where his BP’s and office manager’s cell phones pinged in those evening hours the night John disappeared. I would venture to say that might give a clue as to where to search. Forgive my ignorance about LE’s access to such information but I would imagine they would have been able to check that information if they had at all investigated the case as suspicious instead of “willingly missing”.

I hope John’s family can get some closure soon. This has gone on far too long.

ps. @Cubby thank you for your insight as a local and especially for continuing to update and post throughout the years. I really appreciate the ones that do this when I’m reading threads on different cases.

There is a map with the high probability areas for the pings. They were near the place of business. I have never read they pinged near the home he shared with his stb ex wife.

There is a map with the high probability areas for the pings. They were near the place of business. I have never read they pinged near the home he shared with his stb ex wife.
I believe I read that in an article provided more recently. I will see if I can find it quick

I guess it was stated on the Facebook timeline here but after reviewing msm articles, I see almost all state his phone pinged last at the business. Sorry for the confusion, I was quite tired towards the end of my reading last night.

I guess it was stated on the Facebook timeline here but after reviewing msm articles, I see almost all state his phone pinged last at the business. Sorry for the confusion
I was quite tired towards the end of my reading last night.

No, worries. There is a map of the ping locations on John's sister's site. Let me see if I can bring it over here. Between that ping map and the aerial view of the business from the recent listing, I don't think John left that location alive. I don't think it was him who moved the vehicle either. Jmo.

Scroll down for the ping map at the following site.

Please Help Me Find My Brother John!

thank you for that map. I suspect you are correct. From my reading, I learned that his cell phone, his folder with important papers, and (?) wallet (maybe? Can’t remember if it was the wallet) have never been found either. I suppose if he was buried with those items rather than disposing of them at another location, the likelihood of disproving a walk away disappearance would be less likely. I also recall reading that his BP told the investigators John shredded 2 bags of paperwork prior to “leaving” that night. I suspect that was not John shredding papers. I think 3-4 people have direct knowledge, 1 being his STBX wife who took her knowledge to the grave. I hope the other 3 get a conscience sooner rather than later.

Just in case you are not familiar with the area in northern Illinois, the marital home was in St. Charles and the business is in West Chicago, and I would guess without mapping the location of the home less than a 20 minute drive. Close, but not close enough to ping off of. John was supposed to be meeting up with a friend in Oak Brook, which is the opposite direction of the marital home (east of West Chicago versus St. Charles to the west). I don't think he ever left the building and I don't think he parked his truck in his business partner's regular spot!

The DuPage County Sheriff's Office posted on Facebook about John's case today, asking to speak to anyone who invested money with him. At least it bring his disappearance back into light but I'm so worried this case will never be solved unless someone who knows something speaks up and stops living with a guilty conscience.

The DuPage County Sheriff's Office posted on Facebook about John's case today, asking to speak to anyone who invested money with him. At least it bring his disappearance back into light but I'm so worried this case will never be solved unless someone who knows something speaks up and stops living with a guilty conscience.
"
DuPage County Sheriff's Office
3 hrs ·
Detectives again need public’s help in 2007 missing person case

DuPage County investigators are again seeking assistance as they continue investigating the Feb. 23, 2007 disappearance of John Spira.

Spira, a St. Charles resident, was last seen at his business,in an unincorporated area near West Chicago on Feb. 23, 2007. Spira, who was 45 when he was reported missing, is 5'9" inches tall, 165 pounds and has brown hair and brown eyes.

At the time of his disappearance, it is known that Spira was recruiting investors for business opportunities and start-up companies. The DuPage County Sheriff's Office is requesting that anyone who invested money with Spira to contact Detective Dave Chiesa at (630) 407-2364 or by email at david.chiesa@dupagesheriff.org"

"Recruiting investors for business opportunities and start-up companies."

Well, that opens a whole lot of possible theories. I'm glad to see police seeking info again.

"Recruiting investors for business opportunities and start-up companies."

Well, that opens a whole lot of possible theories. I'm glad to see police seeking info again.
It is good news. Just keep in mind that the most obvious person to have killed him would come up with a red herring like this to divert attention away from himself. Screens work both ways. It can help prove there were no investors and startup opportunities being pursued and that no one else lost money. We know there has been no evidence of John living abroad or his family would have dropped this.

And if there was another company and a split being planned, there was even more incentive not to go halfsies on a buy out for two other suspects.

Let's all hope this missing case becomes closed one day soon.

It is good news. Just keep in mind that the most obvious person to have killed him would come up with a red herring like this to divert attention away from himself. Screens work both ways. It can help prove there were no investors and startup opportunities being pursued and that no one else lost money. We know there has been no evidence of John living abroad or his family would have dropped this.

And if there was another company and a split being planned, there was even more incentive not to go halfsies on a buy out for two other suspects.

Let's all hope this missing case becomes closed one day soon.

Is the former business partner cooperating with police? I was under the impression he was not. My guess regarding the new strategy is new sheriff looking at the case differently.

Also, there could also be a no body murder case in the future and the authorities ruling out a bunch of crap the former business partner told police.

After 13 years, I am wondering why John hasn't legally been declared deceased. Unless he has, but that hasn't been made public.

The one part of this case that kind of stood out to me was how John Spira disappeared on the night of February 23, 2007. In the Disappeared episode about his case, his girlfriend at the time really highlighted the weather situation with the snow falling.

If someone were to murder someone and bury the body, it would probably be kind of difficult with it being February and the ground being so hard. At the same time it would not give them a lot of time once the person was reported missing.

With the traffic problems associated with a snow storm, transporting a body would pose greater risk. So you would want to go directly to wherever it was you were going to leave the body. If his wife had something to do with his disappearance, did the police search the home and grounds that John Spira shared with his wife? I am guessing that is too simple of a question and the answer is probably yes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brightshelby
Back