GUILTY IL - Kimberly Vaughn, 34, & 3 children slain, Channahon Twp, 14 June 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap this is literally in my backyard.. I am not home but will call the folks and see if they know anything.. I live about 1.5 miles away from the frontage road.. Did anyone here where these people are from or a name? Channahon is a smaller community and I pray I do not know these people someone please update I can't find any names..

Holy crap this is literally in my backyard.. I am not home but will call the folks and see if they know anything.. I live about 1.5 miles away from the frontage road.. Did anyone here where these people are from or a name? Channahon is a smaller community and I pray I do not know these people someone please update I can't find any names..

Article in the Sun Times said they had moved from Washington state to Spring Gate at Southbury. The article link has a photo.

The Vaughn family — Kimberly and Chris and their three children — moved into their new house at Spring Gate in Southbury about a year ago. http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/homes/news/401736,srch-home-open27.article

--->>>link is at the bottom of page 1.

"The Vaughn family — Kimberly and Chris and their three children — moved into their
new house at Spring Gate in Southbury about a year ago.
From Washington state to Oswego

OPEN HOUSE | Family didn't have air conditioning in Pacific Northwest, but they'll need it here
May 27, 2007
BY BILL CUNNIFF Sun-Times Real Estate Reporter

The Vaughn family -- Chris and Kimberly, their three children and two dogs -- transferred from Washington state in the Pacific Northwest to the Chicago area.

"Both Chris and I are originally from the Midwest. But we decided to rent an apartment in Aurora, so we could take our time in getting acquainted with the suburban
Chicago area and pursuing our home search," Kimberly said.

---------Their pictures are in the link, showing them in their NEW home.

I am wondering IF IF the husband could have had some sort of a crime connection, where his family was murdered to be a lesson to him, then left him to suffer the consequence. Supposition on my part, person on NG said the angle of the shot in the husbands leg will tell a BIG story.

The link at bottom of page 1 is from article in the Sun Times paper real estate section, of a recent paper.

What happens to a person that they could erase all of that in the blink of an eye?

I am dumbfounded and so saddened. Prayers for this family.

<snip>

I am wondering IF IF the husband could have had some sort of a crime connection, where his family was murdered to be a lesson to him, then left him to suffer the consequence. Supposition on my part, person on NG said the angle of the shot in the husbands leg will tell a BIG story.

<snip>

Oh, absolutely the trajectory will tell a story. As well for the mother who was in the front seat of the vehicle. From the aerial shot you could see her body there. Just awful...and I agree with southcitymom -- what does happen that would cause someone to do something like this? I can't think of ANYTHING that innocent children could do that might cause a parent to take their lives.

After reading I do not know this family and am wondering what the heck they were doing there to begin with. Oswego is about a 35-40 minute driver from where they were found. Were they coming home from a trip somewhere? It is not even on the way somewhere.. To get to that area from where they live you would have to go through several backroads or through two to three different interstates.. I hate to say it but it sound like another "injured parent" with superficial wounds. I pray that this time the dad is actually innocent and some stranger "really did do it" But probably not..

Oh, absolutely the trajectory will tell a story. As well for the mother who was in the front seat of the vehicle. From the aerial shot you could see her body there. Just awful...and I agree with southcitymom -- what does happen that would cause someone to do something like this? I can't think of ANYTHING that innocent children could do that might cause a parent to take their lives.

I know that was awful! You could see her corpse in there! I'm surprised they showed it on TV.

Hopefully this will be a rather easy case to solve. When a mother and her children are shot and killed but the father/husband has no life threatening wounds, you can be pretty sure the husband killed his family.
Is this another mass murder where the husband flips when the wife wants a divorce? Another case of a father not wanting to pay child support?

What a horrible thing. Why would someone shoot their kids and shoot them several times? I guess whoever wanted to make sure that they were good and dead. The story doesn't make any sense to me either. The husband was shot once in the leg. He better have a darn good story I would think.

There is hardly a day that goes by that we don't hear of a husband or ex-husband or boyfriend or ex-boyfriend that wipes out a whole family. It is just getting worse and worse. Right now that seems to be the thing that happens the most. Things seem to go in streaks. Children being raped and murdered and then it changes to something else like pregnant women murdered and on and on. I guess the killers never think of the consequesces but boy do they whine and cry when they get the death penalty...they don't want to die...cowards. I wish there was a way to stop all of this violence. Maybe if the laws got stricter and the criminal didn't have all the rights some of these people would think before they murder.

This is tragic, and my heart aches for this terrible loss of life. I imagine that if the man was treated for non-life threatening injuries and was released into police custody, LE may have themselves a suspect. Geesh, here we go again. Same crime, same type of criminal, and the tragic loss of innocent lives.

Lion

There's something very odd here.

I'm with those who are very curious about Mr. Vaughn.

I poked and poked around trying to find out more about his firm, and for a computer security firm, StoneBridge Investigations and Security had what seemed to be very low profiles. That makes no sense to me when your business is investigating things cyber-related. In WA, Vaughn did have other employees -- a guy named Mike Hendricks listed his job in a campaign contribution form as StoneBridge Security CEO, and his address was in Bellevue, WA. But otherwise, not much to learn about that company, at all, save that it looked legit 'on paper.'

And no matter what Mr. Vaughn says, the timing and just about everything else having to do with the idea that his wife did this make no sense whatsoever. Not to mention people living in the area near where the vehicle was found reported hearing shots 3 hours before a 911 call was made.

Kimberly was raising impressive kids, according to the news stories I read. She had potted plants in front of the house. That photo of the family from the May 27, 2007 article in a paper about the home they bought in Oswego showed them in a bright, cluttered kitchen. I don't know about anyone else here, but I've known suicidal people. They didn't often tend their plants or keep cheery yellow kitchens. There are always exceptions.

I think the police are being very careful and cagey here. The outcome may be exactly what we all expect, though.

Steve/Mr. A

I poked and poked around trying to find out more about his firm, and for a computer security firm, StoneBridge Investigations and Security had what seemed to be very low profiles. That makes no sense to me when your business is investigating things cyber-related. In WA, Vaughn did have other employees -- a guy named Mike Hendricks listed his job in a campaign contribution form as StoneBridge Security CEO, and his address was in Bellevue, WA. But otherwise, not much to learn about that company, at all, save that it looked legit 'on paper.'

And no matter what Mr. Vaughn says, the timing and just about everything else having to do with the idea that his wife did this make no sense whatsoever. Not to mention people living in the area near where the vehicle was found reported hearing shots 3 hours before a 911 call was made.

Kimberly was raising impressive kids, according to the news stories I read. She had potted plants in front of the house. That photo of the family from the May 27, 2007 article in a paper about the home they bought in Oswego showed them in a bright, cluttered kitchen. I don't know about anyone else here, but I've known suicidal people. They didn't often tend their plants or keep cheery yellow kitchens. There are always exceptions.

I think the police are being very careful and cagey here. The outcome may be exactly what we all expect, though.

Steve/Mr. A

---->>>Thank you for that great informative link!!! From the link:
"Neighbors said Kimberly, a homemaker, worked part-time as an attendant at the subdivision’s clubhouse. Christopher Vaughn operates StoneBridge
Investigations, which specializes in corporate counter espionage, risk assessments, missing persons investigations, employee background checks, employee
surveillance, computer forensics and cybercrime prevention, according to the company’s Web site.

The company’s Web site states Vaughn has offices in Bellevue, Wash., and Chicago. Vaughn is listed as the firm’s principal investigator. Neighbors said he
traveled often, including a recent trip to Mexico."

No mention in the link about Kimberly having a degree in Criminal Justice, that was talked about yesterday.

BUT BUT, husbands story about their destination etc, does not fit the thoughts that some of us are having. That being his 'job' category, and angry client base etc.

Steve/Mr. A

Why didn't he call 911 immediately after being shot? I don't know of too many people that would sit in a vehicle with 4 dead family members and then decide to telephone for help three hours later. I hate to jump to conclusions, but something stinks here, and my eyebrows are raised toward's hubby's direction.

So his wife shoots him in the leg and he doesn't try to overpower her, just runs away leaving his children at the mercy of their crazed mother? And she doesn't shoot him in the back as he flees, instead she decides he should live and kills her children and then herself. Riiiiight.

Honestly some of these men are SO dumb! Do they not watch CSI or any crime programme and know the police will be able to tell exactly what happened in about 5 minutes?

That poor woman and her children, it's utterly horrific. Bad enough to kill your spouse but your children? How do you do that?

I was shocked this morning when I heard that he was released and they are blaming the wife. The fact that he didn't stop her was what really got me thinking. There is no way I could shoot my husband and my kids without him getting that gun from me, especially in a small car.
Now I would be curious as to her autopsy, any fight marks? Bruises on her arms and such, did he even try to stop her?

Jaded, did you read the link in misterallgood's post #33, it is in blue letters.

"hearing shots 3 hours before a 911 call was made" click on those words in his post to reach the link.

I have been scratching my head, and trying to give the husband a chance, because no one likes to believe that he might be guilty ASAP. BUT BUT IF IF he pre planned this, he took a lot of trouble to get the family OUT OF THE HOUSE to do this. Planning the trip, the luggage, the visit to grandmas planned. BUT BUT he missed the basics of Crime 101, and the forensics of it all, angle of the SHOT IN HIS LEG, did the wife have gunshot powder residue on her.
HE IS BEING totally cooperative with LE, link says.

WHAT WE NEED IS THE MOTIVE. A girlfriend in the wings perhaps ?? OR ?? It could not be THAT simple could it?

Dena

1. My questions, why was the wife driving the car IF IF she was planning on killing the children WHILE in the SUV?

2. The logistics of who was where when what shots were fired?

3. WAS the wife aware of some illegal things husband had been doing and threatened to blow the whistle, OR OR OR kill the family to save the embarrassment of IT when the truth came out?

.......Maybe if the laws got stricter and the criminal didn't have all the rights some of these people would think before they murder.

I just don't think stricter laws would work to accomplish this. Most people murder in passion and are not thinking rationally of consequences at the time OR they murder calculatedly and think they will not be caught because they are too smart OR they murder unintentionally (beating a child too hard) and don't think anyone is going to die.

In any event, none of these types of murders is likely to examine what their actions might lead to. Just my opinion.

Father: Mom shot children, then killed herself

June 14, 2007
BY CHRISTINE S. MOYER Staff Writer
CHANNAHON — An Oswego mother and her three children were found shot and killed in the family’s sport-utility vehicle early Thursday morning along a highway here, and her husband is being questioned by police in the apparent domestic incident.

Christopher Vaughn, 32, told police that his wife, Kimberly Vaughn, 34, shot their three children to death and then killed herself. He suffered a gunshot wound to the thigh and was treated and released at Provena St. Joseph Medical Center in Joliet.

Will County Coroner Patrick O’Neil said Kimberly Vaughn was shot once in the head in the passenger’s seat of the SUV. Her children, Abigayle, 12; Cassandra, 11; and Blake, 8, were shot multiple times in the back seat.

More at link
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/news/429357,2_1_AU14_SLAYINGS_S1.article

Good article. I would think that if the mother shot them (and at this point, I don't have any reason to believe otherwise), then she would have residue on her hands confirming that she was the shooter.

I wonder what was going on for her that she felt the need to do this. I hope more information is released.

Jaded, did you read the link in misterallgood's post #33, it is in blue letters.

"hearing shots 3 hours before a 911 call was made" click on those words in his post to reach the link.

I have been scratching my head, and trying to give the husband a chance, because no one likes to believe that he might be guilty ASAP. BUT BUT IF IF he pre planned this, he took a lot of trouble to get the family OUT OF THE HOUSE to do this. Planning the trip, the luggage, the visit to grandmas planned. BUT BUT he missed the basics of Crime 101, and the forensics of it all, angle of the SHOT IN HIS LEG, did the wife have gunshot powder residue on her.
HE IS BEING totally cooperative with LE, link says.

WHAT WE NEED IS THE MOTIVE. A girlfriend in the wings perhaps ?? OR ?? It could not be THAT simple could it?

Just read the link, and I don't know what to say. She shot him first and he fled? Where did he go? Couldn't he have overpowered her when she had the gun? What was going on in the hours before the 911 call was placed? This is just so crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekmtl