IL IL - Robert Wayne Linder, 24, Chicago, 2 June 1969

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Robert Wayne Linder
Cook County, Illinois
30 year old white male

Brown Hair
Blue Eyes

Height (inches)69.0
Weight (pounds)155.0

Circumstances: Robert took a final exam at DePaul Univ and withdrew money for rent deposit on an apartment. Was never seen after that.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14501/

I do wonder how they got the information of his age, I can’t find any birth certificate for him. Twenty four years would seem to fit university though. So many questions, one is did he pick up/receive is Diploma?
I found only one Illinois paper with reference to that name, a May 1970 marriage application Robert W Linder to a Mrs Bonnie J Mattern. I found the “Mrs” interesting, and found this would be her second marriage. She is listed as Bobbie Jean Linden in 1972, then another marriage in 73 and 84. She passed in 2006. I noticed the DePaul university is catholic, wondering if Roberts parents were catholic and wouldn’t agree to him marrying someone divorced?
Another speculation would be leaving to avoid the Vietnam draft?

Just a couple thoughts that came to mind.

I noticed the photo on his namus profile has his name underneath as"R. Wayne Linder". I googled this and found that most people who use first initial with middle name are known by their middle name. So he may have been better known as Wayne Linder.

Also, it seems odd that he was about to rent a new apartment at the end of the school term, during finals. Where was he living before? I wonder if he was even from the Chicago area.

The marriage information posted above is interesting. I wonder if she went to the same college, perhaps he was looking to move out of the dorms to move in with her? Not sure how he'd never be seen again though, since whoever reported him missing seems to have known about the apartment. Unless police discovered that later.

I can't find any indication that anyone has been looking for him. No articles or posts from family members anywhere, so it's hard to even venture a guess. :(

Last edited:
His NAMUS profile says he was missing from Tribal land. That may mean he was Native American and his original home on a reservation. If you're NA you're always part of your tribe, even legally speaking. I wonder if he went home for a visit and met with foul play on the trip.

So little information about him. Was he originally from Chicago or just attending college there?

It's frustrating that LE paid so little attention to missing person cases back then.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back