Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked up federal death penalty and there are 63 people on federal death row, with 37 people being executed since it started in 1927. I looked at the cases and many of them involved the body being found on federal land or it was very clear that the kidnapping was in one state and the body in another or it was a murder for hire type thing. In one case, the Dru Sjoden case was the case in which the girl was at the shopping mall in ND and they found her body in another state MN. So it looks like when the feds keep jurisdiction it is very clear where the body is in one state and the person lived or kidnapped in another state or federal jxn is otherwise very clear. There's probably alot of cases where it is murky but it does not seem like the feds take jxn unless it is very clear.

So best chance for a death penalty here (assuming follow what appears to be longstanding practices) would be if they find the body in another state or if it's on federal land. In any event, we never know what the Trump DOJ will do (everything seems a surprise these days) so overturning what seems to be longstanding DOJ practice to give almost all cases back to the states may not be something the Trump Justice Dept chooses to do, especially in a case involving a Chinese national. On one hand, I could see them taking jxn for the optics and to get death penalty; on other hand, GOP is very states' rights-oriented so I am not sure they will want to make this a precedent; they will be accused of taking cases away from the states that do not have death penalty. Also, potential crimes like murder or sexual assault may be states only crimes and I don't think they will want to subject family to two separate trials.

Moreover if they start taking away state's choice on death penalty, it would most certainly be challenged in federal courts by people who get the death penalty and they would have a pretty decent argument especially if it was clear that feds only take jxn when the state is not a death penalty state. Justice department can't very well do things "special" here; the whole purpose of justice is to treat like cases alike.

I wonder if there are any criminal lawyers here who think that even the fact that it is in federal court now is odd. I don't know enough about IL courts to offer an opinion on that but if being in federal court even now is odd who knows how this case will be tried.

Reading along this afternoon. I have seen the pictures of a man they presumed was Christensen at the walk for Yingying.

I'm wondering with them watching him for so long and if that was him at the walk then maybe he went back to where he left her. Don't killers do that sometimes. Go to funerals and revisit graves?

So not far from Indiana. He could very well have went there. I reread the criminal complaint and it's very vague about jurisdiction. Often one is very clear about jurisdiction and why you have it. In the complaint they just refer to the federal kidnapping law and having authority because of it. They don't say anything about having jxn because of it occurring across state lines.

I taught a constitutional law class once and I told the students that only a stupid criminal would commit a crime involving a national park or across state lines because then the feds get two bites out of the apple - that is double jeopardy doesn't apply and both federal and state authorities can go after you. But alot of people don't know that I guess!

Yes, Indiana is very close. In my mind, Wisconsin via Chicago would be the least likely route because there are more tolling areas and thus lots of cameras and EZ Pass tracking. However, he's been so bold with everything else, so I guess any of these routes are possible.

All we really know is that the kidnapping took place on June 9, and they were at his apartment for the first time by June 12. He could have been anywhere (or nowhere!) in that time range.

You can get to Rockford and then Wisconsin from Champaign without through Toll routes.

Remember the man that kept a woman in a box under his bed for years. This guy made me think of that. He gives me the creeps.

Yes, Indiana is very close. In my mind, Wisconsin via Chicago would be the least likely route because there are more tolling areas and thus lots of cameras and EZ Pass tracking. However, he's been so bold with everything else, so I guess any of these routes are possible.

All we really know is that the kidnapping took place on June 9, and they were at his apartment for the first time by June 12. He could have been anywhere (or nowhere!) in that time range.

I wonder if there are any national parks or military bases nearby and if so whether he has any connection to it. Oftentimes physics depart work with the defense department. If they have some reason like pings or whatnot to believe he committed part of the crime or left her body in a national park or on a military base that would certainly give them jxn.

Its taken me ages to read every post on this thread. Thank you to everyone. It really helps to read a background and updates.

I can't help but worry that he might have taken her somewhere and was holding her captive. I can't bear that his arrest may have left her with no way to escape and she would have died as a result :(

I don't seem to be able to catch up today, you guys are all so busy! (And that's great!)

Just a few thoughts below, hope they are not moot points.

Excellent work with the pics ELAINERA Serious question... Where were you when I was bursting a blood vessel trying to show every one his "unique hairline" so I could prove it was BC at the support walk? (There was no confirmation early on...and I was left trying to isolate/enlarge/paint & attach...from google video instructions, ugh.) And now it is all over the papers and internet....guess I should have waited.
I recently followed a case and found pictures of the killer attending 4 different events memorializing the death of NOT ONLY HIS VICTIM, but also of others for more than 2 years! It was almost as if he gloated over how caring and trusting people were. The staring vacant eyes "not caring about a life." And in every picture, scanning the room, looking at other faces, staring at the reactions of the grieving family members. Zero emotion, totally curious. But I digress.
I think the female with BC was a prop. (She just doesn't know it, yet.) It made him "blend in" .... I imagine a guy like him can not be alone.....he doesn't even trust his own compulsions when he is alone.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-criminals-always-return-to-the-scene-of-the-crime

HI IQ! I did not comment on the brilliant hairline job you did bc at that point we were 'officially' still unsure whether this was in fact BC and mod had asked us not to discuss that photo from the rally. You did a wonderful job there. Thank You!

Hmmmm, dense particle physics....are there any building projects planned for the campus. Any excavation, dense particle products being used? His M.O. in my opinion is HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT. Since when has a camera or crowd ever scared this hubris filled man? Where did he hang out on campus? Did he like to sit in a coffee shop? He does have a construction back ground from working that kind of a job in high school.
Perhaps a project that would appeal to someone like him? Something like this? Or somewhere close by? (just thinking out loud...)
http://dailyillini.com/news/2017/03/14/biggest-campus-renovations-ever-planned-illini-union/

Yes! Maybe he hid her in plain sight somewhere, just like the car, and himself at the walk. Maybe she's somewhere on the campus itself.

Also, I want to say, a BIG BIG Thank You to all the great sleuthing done here! The Fetlife account, the parks, the other missing girls from the area possibly connected to BC ... and so much more. You guys are awesome!

Back to catching up now ...

They must have something that makes them think they can support the federal kidnapping charge. Maybe they have his phone pinging in Indiana or something.

I wonder if there are any special provisions in state or federal law when the crime involves someone who is a foreign national.

With the sloppy digital trail BC left behind, almost guaranteed he didn’t turn his cellphone off while disposing of the body, hence pinging off a tower in said location.

I think it speaks to great lengths that the FBI or local authorities have not organized any search parties, as well as the “presumed dead” is strong wording made public by LE, they’re on BC trail hot and heavy. To me seems they’re not asking for much help anymore because they don’t need it, even though crime stoppers is still accepting tips.

Remember, they were still seeking info on the Astra they had theirs eyes set on since June 12th and up until the 29th, were asking for assistance. They had it all along though

With the sloppy digital trail BC left behind, almost guaranteed he didn’t turn his cellphone off while disposing of the body, hence pinging off a tower in said location.

I think it speaks to great lengths that the FBI or local authorities have not organized any search parties, as well as the “presumed dead” is strong wording made public by LE, they’re on BC trail hot and heavy. To me seems they’re not asking for much help anymore because they don’t need it, even though crime stoppers is still accepting tips.

Remember, they were still seeking info on the Astra they had theirs eyes set on since June 12th and up until the 29th, were asking for assistance. They had it all along though

With great sadness, I have to agree that they are at least aware of what has happened to Yingying and this is why there aren't any organized search parties trying to find her

ETA- Thanks to all for bringing so much insight into the mind of this monster.

Justice for Yingying!

With great sadness, I have to agree that they are at least aware of what has happened to Yingying and this is why there aren't any organized search parties trying to find her

ETA- Thanks to all for bringing so much insight into the mind of this monster.

Justice for Yingying!

RBBM

Agreed. Praying they find her soon.

I wonder if there are any special provisions in state or federal law when the crime involves someone who is a foreign national.

No, the federal kidnapping statute does not include foreign nationals.

You can get to Rockford and then Wisconsin from Champaign without through Toll routes.

Yep, that's why I specified Wisconsin via Chicago :) The vast majority of tolls in Illinois are in the Chicago area. There is a toll on 90 near Rockford and then on 90/39 near the border of Wisconsin, though, so if he was even considering this, he'd have to get off or take to avoid them totally.

I apologize if it's been discussed before, but do we know where he was the night of and the day following, YZ's disappearance? Or whether he was online?

And I personally think he would have driven south or southeast (if he is guilty.) It's plenty rural and sparsely populated in many areas; don't think he needed to drive far up north or to Indiana, etc.

I have a feeling he was more familiar with the trip north as obviously it was the direction to his home. There isn't much south so he probably wouldn't have as much experience with that area. Also south isn't very wooded. Tons of open fields, it's Amish country down there but there aren't any real wooded areas.

I apologize if it's been discussed before, but do we know where he was the night of and the day following, YZ's disappearance? Or whether he was online?

And I personally think he would have driven south or southeast (if he is guilty.) It's plenty rural and sparsely populated in many areas; don't think he needed to drive far up north or to Indiana, etc.

We have nothing about his physical whereabouts at those times. We know he was last active on Fetlife on about June 7, then we don't see him online until he's gaming on June 23.

I am curious if LE has any information suggesting that Yingying was taken across states lines by the perp at some point?
Of course we do not know that, yet. But I was wondering if a person's previous writing could make them eligible for prosecution under Federal Hate Crimes statutes?

We have nothing about his physical whereabouts at those times. We know he was last active on Fetlife on about June 7, then we don't see him online until he's gaming on June 23.
Wow, I didn't realize we already knew of that big of a seeming gap in his online activity (June 7-23) -- interesting! ...and do we have a sense of how much he was online prior to June 7 (like almost everyday, or not that much)?

OK maybe he will use fetlife to defend what happened, that he thought he was picking up someone he had made plans with r.e. the abduction play thread and it being consensual in his mind. He made a mistake about which girl it was....blah blah blah....I don't think this happened btw.
What are the odds that the same car (cracked hubcap), same driver, admittance of picking up same girl (so we KNOW it's the car and the guy), then a confession of the deed - whilst he didn't know he was being recorded, then that guy SHOWS UP to a family walk, occurred by someone else entirely? No, I'm pretty sure any jury would link him to all aspects of this crime. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonFly57