IN IN - Herbert Richard Baumeister AKA Brian Smart Preyed on Gay Men - Remains Found at Fox Hollow Farm - Possibly I-70 IN/OH Serial Killer

13News has learned exclusive details about a new development in the notorious case of Indiana serial killer Herb Baumeister.

The push to bring peace to family members of the victims is getting a big financial boost from the FBI.

Cadaver dogs that scoured Fox Hollow Farm in early December aren't the only key to unearthing new clues about an Indiana serial killer.

FIVE sets of remains located in Westfield were added to NamUs today! I'm assuming these are Baumeister victims

NamUs says they were all located on the same day in June 1996. According to NamUs they are all linked to homicide investigations

FIVE sets of remains located in Westfield were added to NamUs today! I'm assuming these are Baumeister victims

NamUs says they were all located on the same day in June 1996. According to NamUs they are all linked to homicide investigations
Why did it take them 27 years to add the remains to NamUs? Any idea if they have or plan to analyze DNA to try to identify them?

13News has learned exclusive details about a new development in the notorious case of Indiana serial killer Herb Baumeister.

The push to bring peace to family members of the victims is getting a big financial boost from the FBI.

Cadaver dogs that scoured Fox Hollow Farm in early December aren't the only key to unearthing new clues about an Indiana serial killer.

Any idea if they have or plan to analyze DNA to try to identify them?
This article makes it sound likely imo.

Coincidentally, the DNA:ID podcast this week covered an identified victim of another gay serial killer operating in Indiana and Illinois, although a decade earlier. It made me do a double take when this thread popped up.

He has some unidentified victims too. DNA doe project is working one of them.

According to Hamilton County Coroner Jeff Jellison, ISP scientists were able to produce the two DNA profiles this week after being asked to test a batch of remains. The remains, consisting of roughly 10,000 bones and fragments, were originally found in Baumeister’s yard in the 1990s.

The investigation into Baumeister, considered one of Indiana’s most notorious serial killers, began in 1996. Police believe he lured gay men to his Westfield home in the mid-80s through the mid-90s before killing them and disposing of their bodies in the back of his property.

Despite it being over 20 years since Baumeister’s death, the Hamilton County Coroner’s Office is continuing the work to identify his victims.

Part of the process is working with ISP on DNA testing, a process that Jellison said may be starting to pay off.

“Really, those working with us from the Indiana State Police are the offensive lineman of this investigation,” Jellison said. “Any identification we may get will be a result of their hard work.”

Police Extract Two More DNA Samples in I-70 Strangler Case

Police Extract Two More DNA Samples in I-70 Strangler Case
Indiana State Police have extracted two DNA profiles from human remains found on the property of the late suspected gay serial killer Herbert Baumeister. Baumeister, a wealthy Republican businessman who was married with three children, was suspected of killing over 20 boys and young men he met at or around gay bars during the 1980s and ’90s.

Baumeister died by suicide in 1996 at a public park in Canada after police searched his 18-acre Fox Hollow Farm estate in Westfield outside of Indianapolis and issued a search warrant for his arrest.

“They’re now doing the comparison samples and fast-tracking that process now that we have modern DNA,” Hamilton County Coroner Jeff Jellison told local Fox affiliate WXIN.

Jellison said investigators believe the over 10,000 charred bones and fragments could be the remains of at least 25 people. During the original investigation in the 1990s, forensics extracted 11 human DNA samples, of which eight, all young men, were identified and matched. The two new DNA profiles will be compared against existing DNA samples provided by the family of young men who went missing in the area from the mid-1980s to 1996.

Last edited:
forensics extracted 11 human DNA samples, of which eight, all young men, were identified and matched. The two new DNA profiles will be compared against existing DNA samples provided by the family of young men who went missing in the area from the mid-1980s to 1996.
So there were 3 samples from the initial 11 that are still unidentified. Adding the two new makes 5. That would explain the 5 new NamUs cases I mentioned upthread

So there were 3 samples from the initial 11 that are still unidentified. Adding the two new makes 5. That would explain the 5 new NamUs cases I mentioned upthread
If Baumesiter did murder Allen Livingston and/or Jerry Williams-Comer, I hope that one or both of these DNA profiles match one if them, if they haven't been ruled out already. It would be great to see those cases get as solved as they really can be. Not to mention the many other cases these remains could match to.

If Baumesiter did murder Allen Livingston and/or Jerry Williams-Comer, I hope that one or both of these DNA profiles match one if them, if they haven't been ruled out already. It would be great to see those cases get as solved as they really can be. Not to mention the many other cases these remains could match to.
I'll be keeping an eye on NamUs for sure. Due to the amount of remains they are working with, this whole thing is gonna be a long process imo. Luckily law enforcement has taken the initiative to collect DNA samples from the families of the other young men missing during that time. Hopefully that will make identification much quicker once they manage to collect DNA from the rest of the remains.

I live in Hamilton County IN and can’t believe I’ve not hard of this.
When I mention this case to people who have moved to our area they can’t believe it ever happened here. It is such a beautiful area it is difficult to imagine that such evil took place.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onapick
Back