IN - Infant dies after being left strapped to car seat for 13 hours - Apr 10, 2024

14News.com Ch14 - I’m sorry I don’t know how to link on my IPad

Mother, Raeleigh Phillips, Charged in Death of Baby left for at least
13 hours in Car Seat Emmitt Phillips was left in his car seat while mom
napped after returning from visiting a friend….

She is charged with Reckless Homicide and Neglect of a Dependent. She
was convicted of the second charge in a different case in 2022!

I know being a new mom is hard and you get tired but dear Lord, you don’t
go about your day (or night) for 13 hours without at least checking on your
new born baby!! I didn’t leave mine unattended for 13 minutes

We don’t have any older threads with her name so I guess she went under
our radar on the 2022 case.
Who sleeps for 13 hours with a new baby!! We havent heard about drugs being involved but IMO sleeping for 13 hours makes me wonder.......

Just as an aside, my second baby was born not very well but this initially presented as him just as a very sleepy newbie. He'd have slept 13 hours if I'd left him be. We ended up nasal tube feeding him as he was just so sleepy but as a newborn there are often not the usual markers of illness. I often think if he had been my first I'd have been thrilled at how good a sleeper he was and not realised there was something really wrong with him. I can fully see how there could be scenarios of very very sleepy newborns and not realising this is a red flag

My third child slept 12+ hours a night from birth. However, I’d always wake up and check on her and she most certainly wasn’t in a car seat. She was always breathing and just blissfully asleep so I let her. In fact, I’d have to pump overnight to relieve the pressure because it would be so long before she would eat and I never woke her up. She always gained weight and was very pleasant.

However, this doesn’t seem the case here. Sounds like she “passed out” and just didn’t give a crap about her baby!!

At an initial hearing before Judge Sally McLaughlin on Wednesday, her bond was set at $200,000 surety in addition to $7,500 cash.

Records show Phillips was convicted of neglect of a dependent in a different case in 2022.
Indiana mother charged with murdering nine-day-old baby
So this isn't her first go-round. One wonders if she still has custody of that dependent, or if that individual was removed from her 'care'.

MOO

From the Mayo Clinic....
Whether you should wake a sleeping newborn for feedings depends on the baby's age, weight and overall health.

Most newborns lose weight in the first few days after birth. Until your newborn regains this lost weight — usually within one to two weeks after birth — it's important to feed him or her frequently. This might mean occasionally waking your baby for a feeding, especially if he or she sleeps for a stretch of more than four hours.

Once your newborn establishes a pattern of weight gain and reaches the birth-weight milestone, however, it's generally OK to wait for feedings until he or she wakes up.

Most newborns need eight to 12 feedings a day — about one feeding every two to three hours. While waking up a sleeping baby might seem like a bad idea, frequent feedings early on are important for a couple of reasons.
Newborns have tiny stomaches that don't hold a huge amount of fluid so need to be feed frequently.

More at link.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeb29
Back