Found Deceased IN - Jacqueline Watts, 33, Columbus, 3 March 2017

Ok, I just found Ringo's original missing facebook Post. It says, "please help me find Ringo. He's a 10 yr old white poodle. He ran away yesterday night (unsure what night this means) around the (sic) 26th and Franklin St. area in Columbus, In. He's sick, he has cataracts and he's almost deaf. Thanks!"

(In the pic, ringo looks frail and sick)

Here's a 2007 video of news story from Boone County Indiana that talks about the dangers of these type dams. They give demonstrations showing the danger and talk about how there are groups that are trying to get all of them removed.

[video=youtube;IPaCXSwjLA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPaCXSwjLA4[/video]
So easily modified for safety purposes! Maddening!

I live near a dam of this type. There are warning signs around it depicting what could happen if you entered the water near it. I believe it would be possible to drown or become fatally injured, and to still be swept over the dam and onto a sandbar. MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes a whirlpool though and once in that spinning cycle, its near impossible to get out.

She may have collasped on that sandbar from a brain aneurysm, jmo.

She may have collasped on that sandbar from a brain aneurysm, jmo.

If she was pregnant, that would be my first guess... pregnancy + physical exertion + environmental stressors could burst an unknown aneurysm in a pregnant woman.

In these photos, I am on the exact spot where she was found, on the sandbar.
The water was 1 foot higher when she ran in after Ringo.

To be clear, you have been of the opinion that she didn't drown, correct?

In these photos, I am on the exact spot where she was found, on the sandbar.
The water was 1 foot higher when she ran in after Ringo.

So do you think it's still too shallow to think she could have drowned as a result of getting caught up in the dam?

I don't know. it's possible she may have been able to hold her head above water for some time if she had been found earlier. Why didn't the tracking dogs find her? Anyway, i don't want to 2nd guess anyone at this time. It's very sad!!!

What a very sad ending for Jackie and Ringo and how truly tragic for family and friends. :(

In my mind's eye I can see the sad events unfolding from her seeing a dog wandering...perhaps bumping into things or straying dangerously close to the road because of blindness...Jackie stopping safely with her hazards on and reaching over to open the door and call to the dog...the dog running off and Jackie quickly taking off after it...the dog's vulnerability and her knowledge of local hazards perhaps spurring her on...the dog entering the water and rapidly being swept downstream and Jackie following perhaps at the water's edge, but eventually wading in to rescue, perhaps above the weir? And then Jackie becoming a victim of the weir's currents...

For me perhaps the saddest little detail of the press release was the little print at the bottom Ringo's SM slide:
"If you find him, please offer him food. Otherwise he'll run away." :(
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 3.44.26 PM.png
PS: (I know I was a tiresome proponent of the stray dog theory yesterday and I apologize if I seemed antagonistic at any time) :)

What a very sad ending for Jackie and Ringo and how truly tragic for family and friends. :(

In my mind's eye I can see the sad events unfolding from her seeing a dog wandering...perhaps bumping into things or straying dangerously close to the road because of blindness...Jackie stopping safely with her hazards on and reaching over to open the door and call to the dog...the dog running off and Jackie quickly taking off after it...the dog's vulnerability and her knowledge of local hazards perhaps spurring her on...the dog entering the water and rapidly being swept downstream and Jackie following perhaps at the water's edge, but eventually wading in to rescue, perhaps above the weir? And then Jackie becoming a victim of the weir's currents...

For me perhaps the saddest little detail of the press release was the little print at the bottom Ringo's SM slide:
"If you find him, please offer him food. Otherwise he'll run away." :(
View attachment 112155
PS: (I know I was a tiresome proponent of the stray dog theory yesterday and I apologize if I seemed antagonistic at any time) :)

That really IS a sad detail. Your scenario sounds very realistic, IMO.

Oh gosh, first time I've been able to make it back on here. I certainly didn't want to hear this and feel so badly for this woman's husband, parents, family, social circle. She sounded like she was a wonderful person with the biggest of hearts for animals. And now here own babies have lost their tender mom figure.
And I'm so terribly sorry for Ringo's family as well. Just such a sad thing tohappen

The one thing about drowning, is that to drown a person has to (very obviously) expel the air in lungs and replace it with water. That is the definition of drowning. (Water in lungs)

When the air is expelled from the lungs, and is replaced with water (which is heavy), the body sinks.

1)So did she drown in the water on top of the sand bar and her body wasn't found until the waters receded the next day? (Dam having no impact here)

2) did her clothes hold trapped air which somehow allowed her to float and the conditions were perfect enough for her body to somehow float over the dam, but then not float any farther downstream so that her body stayed right there?

3) was she struggling and fighting alive, made it over the dam alive and then died of hypothermia on the sand bar?

To me, if the water current was strong enough and there was enough water to get her over the dam, she would have been found further away.

Here's a 2007 video of news story from Boone County Indiana that talks about the dangers of these type dams. They give demonstrations showing the danger and talk about how there are groups that are trying to get all of them removed.

[video=youtube;IPaCXSwjLA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPaCXSwjLA4[/video]

Thank you for sharing this. I suspect this could be what happened to both the dog and her.

The current is very forceful and can hold you in that spot until your strength gives out and you end up drowning.

I am not sure if LE said anything about finding her clothes were damp or not. If her clothes were all damp then I do suspect the dam area could be what happened. If the dog was stuck in that current she may have thought it would be not too hard to wade in and retrieve her and maybe did not realize the current is very forceful.

People should watch this if they dont understand the current that occurs on the downstream side of a dam like this.

Ok, I just found Ringo's original missing facebook Post. It says, "please help me find Ringo. He's a 10 yr old white poodle. He ran away yesterday night (unsure what night this means) around the (sic) 26th and Franklin St. area in Columbus, In. He's sick, he has cataracts and he's almost deaf. Thanks!"

:( this thread is too sad for me :(

I think she went in the river the same place we did except that the water was one foot higher and unpredictable. She knew that place on the river all her life, just like my wife. You could walk to that sandbar normally without taking off your shoes.
And, It had not rained in Columbus for two days and only .6 inches then. Rivers can catch you by surprise because they can become swollen with water that came from somewhere else.
Not that many years ago, many parts of Columbus were 10 feet under water from a flood that came on a sunny day and with no broadcast warning. One family was watching TV when a wall of water came crashing through the windows.
You just can't always trust those rivers.

Oh how heartbreaking :(

Coroner: Jackie Watts' death was accidental drowning

"4:41 p.m. UPDATE: Jackie Watts' death has been ruled an accidental drowning, according to the Bartholomew County Coroner's Office."

So sad. I think this case will further educate and protect people from this kind of hazard. I, for one, now consider myself schooled by this thread (...although if it were my kid or pet trapped in the current in the first place it would be very hard to not go in afterwards, even if you were aware of the dangers).

This came up on YouTube after I watched the news story Gardenista posted above:
(Warning: Disturbing viewing)[video=youtube;v1x2c2qR54o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1x2c2qR54o[/video]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkinsey
Back