IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking to my sister now. She said that at 11th and College the sidewalk is closed if you are walking a certain direction or side of the road. You have to walk on the road in that particular area. She said there is not a lot of traffic at 4:30AM, especially during the summer when most of the students have gone home. She said even during the academic year that area is not particuarly busy at that time of the morning.

Is the street Lauren was walking on well lit at night?

hope she is found soon. having been in bloomington (mostly in the campus area), and knowing many who live there, I would never ever walk home alone. there are a few complexes/dorms notorious for sexual assaults and I have had a few friends horribly attacked (both male & female). FWIW

A search of RSO's for the area around College is scary ...
http://www.familywatchdog.us/search.asp

Apparently her friends said she had not had a drink the past few hours or so, meaning that they seem to be saying, yes she did have drinks...whether she was actually taking her medication with the alcohol, we don't really know for sure.

I am just always shocked when young women walk alone at night, anytime of night, in any town or city, in any condition...yes, one should be able to do so, but it is not safe. And the later it is, and more abandoned the streets are, the few who are out driving around are often the predators...

This is very scary to me, for Lauren and her family. Oh how I hope she is being irresponsible and is with friends and has no idea her parents flew in to find her.

collegeand11thfacingsouth-1.jpg

College Ave at 11th facing south

collegebetween11thand10th-1.jpg

College Ave between 11th and 10th

collegeand10th-1-1.jpg

College Ave and 10th

colelgeand9th-1.jpg

College Ave approaching 9th The building on the right is Smallwood

According to her, not really. There are lights but it is still pretty dim. There is construction going on in the area.

This worries me.

There are a few possibilities that come to mind if she was abducted:

1. Construction worker may have lusted after her.
2. Customer at the bar followed her and waited for her to leave her friend's house.
3. Newspaper delivery person.
4. Nearby RSO.

This condition sounds very life-threatening. For people with Long QT Syndrome, any startling occurrence can cause heart arrhythmia. Her friends either didn't know she had it, or just weren't looking out for her, and I guess she wasn't thinking about it, either, poor thing. Walking home at 4:30 a.m.? Drinking? Probably not the best things for her. Plus, she's such a tiny little person...This really doesn't sound good.

I know it's part of being young--you just don't think you are mortal!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/long-qt-syndrome/DS00434

Maybe they're thinking she could have gotten sick and passed out and fell into one of the lakes?

Just another scenario to ponder.

Oh never mind the lakes were not on her way home.

Apparently her friends said she had not had a drink the past few hours or so, meaning that they seem to be saying, yes she did have drinks...whether she was actually taking her medication with the alcohol, we don't really know for sure.

I am just always shocked when young women walk alone at night, anytime of night, in any town or city, in any condition...yes, one should be able to do so, but it is not safe. And the later it is, and more abandoned the streets are, the few who are out driving around are often the predators...

This is very scary to me, for Lauren and her family. Oh how I hope she is being irresponsible and is with friends and has no idea her parents flew in to find her.

At 4ft.11 and 90-100 lbs. alcohol would affect her much faster and harder than an "average size" adult. Maybe she was more intoxicated than she or her friends realized.

I' m really afraid for her.

http://www.oread.ku.edu/~oread/2010/november/1/stories/buddy.shtml

Every campus and university should have a system like this one which was developed by and promoted by their students. The cooperation of businesses by having bouncers and door monitor staff ASKING students at the door entries and exits if they have a "buddy" with them is essential, plus the entire university and community supports this effort. The whole idea gets ingrained into student behavior and they become more responsible for themselves and their fellow students.

raeann...thanks for the link. That's a terrific idea and very impressive. I hope many more schools follow their lead.

At 4ft.11 and 90-100 lbs. alcohol would affect her much faster and harder than an "average size" adult. Maybe she was more intoxicated than she or her friends realized.

I' m really afraid for her.

Intoxicated or not while walking home, she would be easy prey for some shady Person(s).

Very easy to abduct her and place her in a vehicle and take off.

I'm thinking this is probably what happened.

I was struck by the theory that she left her cell and wallet elsewhere. Could she have decided, on the way home, to swing by and get them?

She was barefoot. That would not bode well for fleeing any would-be assailant or predator.

I assume the friends she was with had car(s). I wonder if they asked her if she needed a ride and she replied that she did not because her apartment was not too far away.

Ok, why do they NOT know for sure where her things were left? Why the conflicting stories? or is it conflicting reporting?

I just do NOT understand people these days. Where do they get the information that it is safe to wander the streets alone at late hours? Especially after drinking?

I don't get it!

Ok, why do they NOT know for sure where her things were left? Why the conflicting stories? or is it conflicting reporting?

I just do NOT understand people these days. Where do they get the information that it is safe to wander the streets alone at late hours? Especially after drinking?

I don't get it!

Maybe Lauren has walked home in the early morning hours before, may even the same route she took to get to her apartment and she figured that she would be safe because nothing happened to her before.

JMOO

What time does the bar close? At the time, I would think it would be closed. In that town, if she got abducted its probably from someone she knows, saw her walking and stopped her. I wish she is found and these things would just stop happening, no one is safe anymore.

one of the early reports stated she was walking home from a friend's house. Perhaps she'd stayed the night, awakened before the others, and started for home without the others knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oiueroiuweoiruoiwueroiuwe