IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or if they left their cell at home for that purpose. This would require a lot of thinking ahead.

But nowdays people are savvy because of shows like CSI so not out of the realm of possibility at all.

“What I’m here to tell you is that we have reviewed the video, not only the timeline that we have been using, ... and where Lauren does in fact appear ... she does appear in that video with someone that is already known to investigators. We have also reviewed it during the time period where it has been reported, essentially an hour later (at 3:38 a.m.), and we do not find any evidence that supports that information,” Qualters said.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/22/news.qp-4391232.sto

Here's Qualters' quote for those who might not have seen or heard it.

Yes and no. What if they considered LS a 'possession' and that she had betrayed JW and friends? This is a fraternity after all.

I am not even going to go into how off you are on your idea of what goes on in a fraternity. JW's friends are highly unlikely to kill their buddies girlfriend because she cheated on their friend. Beat up the guy-yes; Ruin their entire lives and commit murder- makes no sense at all. I dont believe JW is involved, but it is not difficult to see how one could place suspicion on him. The boyfriend in an unsteady relationship is often the guilty party in a case like this.

Unless somebody was smart enough to turn the phone off.

Actually this is viewed by LE as a sign the person was trying to avoid detection if not committing a crime during the time phone was off.

I do find it interesting that the first confrontation (at Smallwood) was told to the public by the family, then denied by LE, then retracted by the family, and now it is pretty much commonly accepted. And the 2nd confrontation I know I heard it involved CR - not sure I heard JR, but it happened over the weekend sometime, most likely after JWs father had arrived from NY.
It does seem like the negative aspects of JW are being played down, and I have always said that the early story from HT made me feel like she was overly defensive of JW. I don't know, maybe I'm a contrarian, but it makes me suspicious. It may be meant to lower people's suspicions of JW, but for me it's all making me consider him a viable suspect against the evidence.

I didn't know that the family reported something that LE denied, then they retracted their statement. What happened about that?

This makes me think that the police feel that confrontation is critical. Of course, I do too, but there must be even more to that story than I had guessed. The fact that names aren't being said is huge IMO. I can't believe they haven't even been leaked yet. Certainly, one would assume that there was lots of skuttlebutt on campus about it and yet only one name has been mentioned somewhere in a comment? (I haven't read that but saw it mentioned here)....

Police have discounted the "mystery man" saying that every man they have on video -- they can identify. It doesn't mean they're right. It doesn't mean they're wrong. They are saying that the witness, if she saw Lauren with a man, they have no evidence that it was anybody other than people we already know.

However, the witness is firm in what she believes - that she saw Lauren with a man at 3:38am at College and 10th and was shown photos of POI's and none of them matched.

Do you know which POI's she was shown? ALL of them? Was she shown Ajay?

Do they talk about pings on CSI type shows? I watch some of those shows and honestly had no idea what a cellphone ping was until I started visiting this site. I am hoping that someone didn't know about them either and that that will help guide the investigation somehow.

I interpret that quote to mean that if the witness was correct, the encounter at 3:38 am should have been on video. And it's not.
Because otherwise why is he talking about viewing the video and LS not being there at 3:38 am?

IMO he's saying that she's not on the video at 3:38 am. Period. Leaves open the possibility that encounter happened at that time, as the witness described, but was not captured by any video camera.

I interpret that quote to mean that if the witness was correct, the encounter at 3:38 am should have been on video. And it's not.
Because otherwise why is he talking about viewing the video and LS not being there at 3:38 am?

I interpreted it to mean that she wasn't seen on the video at THAT TIME in THAT LOCATION. This could mean a number of things:

1. She was in that location during a different time.
2. She was not in that location but was shown somewhere else during that time.
3. She was never in that location.
4. She may have been in that location AT that time but wasn't shown on video.

Regardless, he was clear that in EVERY instance that she is shown on video, she's only shown with people known to LE

Do they talk about pings on CSI type shows? I watch some of those shows and honestly had no idea what a cellphone ping was until I started visiting this site. I am hoping that someone didn't know about them either and that that will help guide the investigation somehow.

the 20 yo set most certainly knows about cell phone pings and other ways your phones keep track of you imho

While Qualters said he had not spoken to this witness, he acknowledged the witness had been interviewed by police: “We had spoken with someone.” He said investigators “do not have any video evidence that supports what had been reported by that particular witness.” Witness accounts can be off, he said.

“I can’t say that she didn’t see Lauren,” Qualters continued. “It does not appear that she saw Lauren at the time that was reported by other sources.”
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/06/22/news.qp-4391232.sto
Any thoughts on the last line I've bolded?

the 20 yo set most certainly knows about cell phone pings and other ways your phones keep track of you imho

Maybe my classes are just naive ha ha. Mine barely seemed to realize that towers were used for cellphone coverage, let alone that your phones ping off them and can trace your whereabouts.

About there being no "mystery man." He WAS a mystery until BPD confirmed him, 6 days after it was reported. Still mysterious.

I interpreted it to mean that she wasn't seen on the video at THAT TIME in THAT LOCATION. This could mean a number of things:

1. She was in that location during a different time.
2. She was not in that location but was shown somewhere else during that time.
3. She was never in that location.
4. She may have been in that location AT that time but wasn't shown on video.

Regardless, he was clear that in EVERY instance that she is shown on video, she's only shown with people known to LE

1 is a possibility.
2 is not a possibility because LE said they don't have her on video after 2:51 am.
3. is a possibility.
4. Why wouldn't it be on video if there is a camera there?

Oh thanks! LOL I thought you were calling me out on something for not being more clear myself. Sorry. I did find this just now:

Salzmann said Thursday that Rossman was punched at least once and possibly twice, based on the bruising to his face. Despite his claim of memory loss, Rossman still has not been checked by a doctor, the lawyer said.

The lawyer also said a second confrontation, at Rossman's building, took place a couple of days after Spierer went missing, when other students confronted Rossman.

If this is true, then the "confrontation" happened AFTER JW reported the crime, meaning that he hadn't gone over there yet. Of course this doesn't mean that he hadn't called, or stopped by, just to check up on her, then a bigger confrontation occurred later....

.http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/48228688?preferredArticleViewMode=single

The report I read from the attorney said that the second confrontation happened that morning.

no argument with that at all. In my opinion and yours may differ, she is seen on video with someone other than CR at some time and they are not offering that info to us.

I definitely think she could be on video with someone else that they are withholding. I just think it is someone they know-MB, JW, JR, perhaps even one of the POIs that has been less discussed. Not a strange nameless mystery man.

I definitely think she could be on video with someone else that they are withholding. I just think it is someone they know-MB, JW, JR, perhaps even one of the POIs that has been less discussed. Not a strange nameless mystery man.

Considering she was at the bar that night, she could be on video with multiple people. Just not after 2:51 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member