IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these parents have been patient enought with the BPD and since most of these POIs crossed state lines the morning of the crime, possibly taking the body with them, the FBI should have been brought into this case since June 3. This was far to large to reach for BPD and shame on them for not seeking the resources of the FBI and/or DEA while precious time went by and their daughter has not been found. There's a lot of ego, IMO, that needs to be tamed and this case needs to move to a higher level because IMO it hasn't moved a bit since June 3. The 10 POIs went home, enjoyed their summers, taveled and went about their lives (except for the few in summer school) while the Spierers stayed in Bton looking for their daughter. A lot has been discussed on this forum that doesn't make sense as to why LE is and has dismissed certain elements of this crime. Now they claim they can question the POIs since they are back at school makes me sick to my stomach. Let them go home and corroborate their stories? WTF?That's something the FBI could have done June 3 when most of the silver spooners jumped into their luxury cars and drove home to mommy and daddy's fat cash pocket. The DEA should have busted open 5 North with a firecracker on June 4 as soon as evidence pointed to drugs and an apparent known (out of town) big time dealer tweeting about his presence in town. Time was lost. Lauren has not been found. Everything in this case has pointed to federal involvement since day 1. I would not be surprised if the Bton police force was reduced to cut costs over the summer since there were 15K less kids in town.

I'm so sorry Spierer family. You have the patience of a saint but I don't believe Bton LE is capable of finding Lauren. I'm praying you'll have the strength to carry on.

I doubt you can demand the FBI get involved the day someone is reported missing, bu they were indeed called in early on. This article is from June 7.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-07/...ent-building-indiana-state-police?_s=PM:CRIME

I don't think anyone here is intentionally distracting. I do think we lean in different directions and some people like to discuss alternative theories while others prefer to focus on the main POIs. I tend to focus my judgment specifically on a few individuals just because I cannot come up with a theory that makes me 100% comfortable going outside of those people. That is me though and I am just as potentially wrong as anyone else.

I don't think anyone focusing on any evidence should be labeled a distraction, especially anything intentional. Like in any investigation, people always go back to square one to root out any inconsistencies or eliminate anyone.

BTW just looking at Salzmann he creeps me out.. Statistically how many people start off as cops, then move on to lawyers, then to prosecutors, then to defense attorneys.

I wonder how many skeletons are in that mans closet.

In regards to JW, I'm not sure how I would react if I were in his shoes and my GF who I've recently had issues with goes missing. Perhaps he feels guilt for not being with her that night. A few things I do find odd about this...

1. His brother was the one that initiated the whole opening up of the dialogue on PT. Where then his roommate came into defend him.

2. Why hasn't JW given the backstory of these other POI's to the parents. There has to be info on the others he may know, if JW isn't guilty and wants closure for the family.

Actually, I sit back and read much of the discussion and I say very little, but that doesn't mean that I don't have things to say. I tend to look back at older articles to see just how many things got jumbled up into a tangle that is yet to be untangled. If JR is a possible POI, then honestly I can't see why LE has stated it as a certainty that Lauren was seen by him at the time he stated, unless someone else saw her around the same time, but who that someone would be makes me go hmmmmm.

JR states that he wasn't the last person to see Lauren, and while we have caught him in a lie according to the Spierer's account that he hasn't spoken to them privately or otherwise, how should LE or us take his timeline of when he last saw Lauren?

While LE has said that the white truck isn't relevant anymore, it was VERY relevant at the time because it drove around the 10th St and 11th St area, where Lauren was suppose to have been last spotted. To then say, it's not still relevant, the driver of that vehicle AND his pickup of the employee, were STILL in that area. I just don't choose to stay inside a box, I would like to also have enough vision to look outside that box so that in the end, I'm not so far inside it, that I'm not able to see the light of day.

The parents know more than we do and are the only ones providing information at this point. Some of us choose to focus on this, rather than theories that have not had an official traction for months. There's nothing more to it than that.

I think this is a myth.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2011090...text|Frontpage

He (Robert Spierer) stopped short of accusing them (the POIs) of being involved in her disappearance.

"It would be unfair for us to say they lied," he said. "We simply don't know."

"What's the likelihood of a stranger with bad intentions coming along and randomly seeing her in the street?" Robert Spierer asked. "We view it as possible, but low probability."

Many think that lack of focus on all the above is irresponsible.

Peculiar thing how some will try to steer the discussion but refuse to provide a theory. Intentional distraction?

Oh I am in your camp Tr and do agree it seems some would like this forum to do nothing but sit here and repeat over and over "X person is guilty".

From the very early days following this case I have consistently tried to remind certain people that discussing every aspect and every POI in this case is reasonable. Not because I want distractions, but because sitting here restating the obvious over and over again does nothing.
There is an entire website devoting to stating the obvious and now even there I find the author prone to going off into elaborate fantasy like explanations and conspiracy theories.
There is no point in sticking to the one main suspicion if it is not going to lead anywhere. Best to explore all the alternatives and hope a break will come soon somehow.

And while it's been reported that CR provided a DNA sample, apparently Salzmann has refused to confirm that (which doesn't mean he didn't do it).

Apparently he has. As have Bloomington Police.

I'm aware of news accounts -- e.g., Indiana Daily Student -- dated on or before 6/10 in which Salzmann had yet to confirm whether CR provided DNA samples. However, by 6/12, even IDS acknowledged "BPD has reportedly obtained a DNA sample from him".

Associated Press, 6/10:
"Rossman is cooperating with police, who have searched his Jeep Grand Cherokee and examined his credit card and cell phone records, Salzmann said. He said his client gave a DNA sample Friday. Police have said they are talking to 10 people "of interest" in the case but declined to call any suspects."

AP, 6/11:
"Corey Rossman, the friend who left Kilroy’s with Spierer, gave police a DNA sample Friday, said his attorney, Carl Salzmann. But Salzmann has said Rossman went to bed before Spierer left his apartment and was not the last person to see her."

Fox 59, 6/10:
"Friday afternoon, Fox59 News learned Corey Rossman was at Bloomington police headquarters giving a DNA sample. He was the man missing IU student Lauren Spierer was with during the early morning hours of Friday, June 3rd before the 20-year-old woman disappeared."

Indy Star 6/11:
"At Friday’s news conference, Bloomington Police said they still have 10 people of interest in the case, including 20-year-old Corey Rossman, who cooperated later that day with their request to turn in a DNA sample. Rossman’s roommate, Mike Beth, also provided a DNA sample to police."

I thought we had video of CR going to give the DNA sample. I know that may be mislabeled, I guess?

If CR truly suffered a concussion from the assault then he would have likely suffered other symptoms of such a condition in addition to and more likely than memory loss ...

Please elaborate. How do "we" (royal pluperfect) know he didn't? Because his attorney isn't a neurologist, didn't perform the diagnosis & thus failed to divulge such details?

Actually, I thought and still think CR's reported course of action (sleep following head injury complicated by alcohol) following the alleged assault was potentially dangerous (to his health) absent medical attention.

Imo if the memory loss is real then it must be the result of drug use and Salzmann is just another BS lawyer for saying otherwise. He has done as much to hinder the progress of this case as anyone by covering for his clients' drug abuse instead of getting down to what really happened. FH

Is this a medical opinion? I don't know why it's even debated. Beyond this forum (and kind), there's little dispute (from the academy) whether punches can cause concussions or how concussions often result in memory loss.

The Herald Times reported as much last month in "Expert: Loss of memory common after head injury".

Research also shows that even and "only a simple punch, rather than accumulated damage from multiple punches, can cause cerebral concussion."

<snipped>

I wonder how many skeletons are in that mans closet.

Regarding Salzmann, I'll take the bait.

Depending on how long you've lived here, you would know about his alleged road rage in 2000; depending on who you know and who you talk to, there is more I'm sure.

Of course there is the highly (as deemed by some people) questionable Jill Behrman verdict 2006.

Feel free to add to the list. This is all public knowledge.

I thought we had video of CR going to give the DNA sample. I know that may be mislabeled, I guess?

It's here. And so is footage of MB!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y37c0oNJCzI&feature=relmfu"]Spierer friend submits DNA sample - YouTube[/ame]

Why isn't JW presenting a united front with the family?

This just seems SO weird to me. He had been dating her for a few years... Shouldn't he be presenting a united front with the family? In so many cases we see the SO together with the family. Why NOT in this case?

I thinkt he family has the right to believe Lauren's friends are lying... but maybe they really have NO idea what happened to Lauren.

My biggest question at the moment is... where is Jesse and why isn't he speaking? Why is he not with the parents, like Blair, the best friend is? This is very weird to me.

I don't think LE or the family KNOWS what happened or who is involved; I think they are all LEANING toward her fellow students/"friends". LE apparently has not given the Spierers any reason to believe they were NOT involved, is what I am getting from them, and their (the students) behavior apparently has not helped to do so either.

Thanks for that video. Something tells me that CR is not guilty. I don't know why but his demeanor just doesn't look sketchy to me. He seems very articulate and polite, as well as does his attorney seem very cooperative, something to the effect of "We'll give them whatever they (LE) want." I don't know. I've suspected him but I had not seen this video before. I had thought that he may be involved, along with JR, but now I'm leaning towards just JR.

Regarding the video from Jupiter in post #500, I notice that CR's attorney states the CR was the "3rd or the 4th or the 5th person to last see her." Is that a weird statement to any of you all? If CR lost his memory and went to bed, how would he know this? Secondly, if we assume that is correct and that others told him the next day that his room mate saw her, then she left and went to JR's, that makes him the third person to have last seen her (that we know of). That's how I guess I would have stated it. But it almost sounds like CR's attorney is tying to deflect attention away from JR also.....indicating that surely at least 1 or 2 others had to have seen her after CR b/c JR couldn't possibly have done anything to her. Now if my gut is correct about that, then why would Salzman care? He's not representing JR. That leads me back to thinking that CR is involved in this again with JR and he's trying to deflect the attention from either of them. Sorry to be a flip-flopper, after just saying that I no longer felt very strongly pulled towards CR being guilty.

Regarding Salzmann, I'll take the bait.

Depending on how long you've lived here, you would know about his alleged road rage in 2000; depending on who you know and who you talk to, there is more I'm sure.

Of course there is the highly (as deemed by some people) questionable Jill Behrman verdict 2006.

Feel free to add to the list. This is all public knowledge.

I'd like to think that easily calls for a felony charge, if not a disbarment...

Also, I'd feel better if CR had a different attorney and Slazmann wasn't involved at all..

Regarding the video from Jupiter in post #500, I notice that CR's attorney states the CR was the "3rd or the 4th or the 5th person to last see her." Is that a weird statement to any of you all? If CR lost his memory and went to bed, how would he know this? Secondly, if we assume that is correct and that others told him the next day that his room mate saw her, then she left and went to JR's, that makes him the third person to have last seen her (that we know of). That's how I guess I would have stated it. But it almost sounds like CR's attorney is tying to deflect attention away from JR also.....indicating that surely at least 1 or 2 others had to have seen her after CR b/c JR couldn't possibly have done anything to her. Now if my gut is correct about that, then why would Salzman care? He's not representing JR. That leads me back to thinking that CR is involved in this again with JR and he's trying to deflect the attention from either of them. Sorry to be a flip-flopper, after just saying that I no longer felt very strongly pulled towards CR being guilty.

I had not seen this video before either and I feel better about CR after watching it. I will say CR could be 3rd, 4th, or 5th. With MB and step away, JR, and possible house guest being followed in succession.

Also, I wonder if the road rage incident and "special prosecutor" forced Salzmann out of being the Monroe County prosecutor which led to him getting into the defense business.?!

One of the things I wanted to mention yesterday, was that JR's major, SPEA, is known to be the "fall-back" major for those who didn't get into the Business school.

It's a hell of a "fall-back" since SPEA is tied with the Harvard Kennedy School of Government for the second spot in the US News rankings of public affairs schools.

Also, I wonder if the road rage incident and "special prosecutor" forced Salzmann out of being the Monroe County prosecutor which led to him getting into the defense business.?!

He was defeated in an election 6 years later, so leaning toward no on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby-Doo