IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not followed this case too closely despite being local. But I just came home from running my daughter to work, and heard the IU President on the radio discussing the case as the anniversary approaches.

I'm DISGUSTED that all he talked about was security cameras and the IU police force. I understand political correctness and all, but where was the discussion about underage drinking and it's contribution to this mess? The pervasive culture of 'let's get high'?

And yes, I have kids in this age group.

As far as I can tell, memory loss with xanax is mild and doesn't occur in everybody. Of course that if you take it in normal doses without alcohol.

The Spierer's, including Lauren's sister, were on NBC Today show this morning. There's a photo of them as a link if you scroll down a bit.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/

Robert Spierer, referring to the people who were with her that night or who had knowledge of the events of that night:

"To this day, many of those people, most of those people, have not taken police polygraphs."

So some one or two people have taken policy polys.

Have not followed this case too closely despite being local. But I just came home from running my daughter to work, and heard the IU President on the radio discussing the case as the anniversary approaches.

I'm DISGUSTED that all he talked about was security cameras and the IU police force. I understand political correctness and all, but where was the discussion about underage drinking and it's contribution to this mess? The pervasive culture of 'let's get high'?

And yes, I have kids in this age group.

I agree. That does suck. (Are you sure it was IU president and not the dean of students though? The prez has had little to say throughout this.)

Robert Spierer on the today show spent a good long minute discussing underage drinking problem on campuses and need for Lifeline laws such as the one Indiana just passed.

Robert Spierer, referring to the people who were with her that night or who had knowledge of the events of that night:

"To this day, many of those people, most of those people, have not taken police polygraphs."

So some one or two people have taken policy polys.

http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/features/Story.aspx?ID=1712477

According to this article, David Rohn took an FBI administered poly.

His attorney, Ron Chapman, confirms to IM that Rohn left Smallwood with Spierer, and that surveillance footage shows Rohn returning at about 12:30 a.m., June 3, and remaining there until around 11 that morning. Rohn later took an FBI-administered polygraph test that showed “no deception.”

ETA: look, proof that one can have an attorney and still cooperate with an investigation!

I really don't like victim blaming. I don't think Lauren killed herself. This may be a rape-murder. I don't like hearing, she was drunk. She asked for it. Or, her skirts were too short. She asked for it. The fact is she did not want or ask for it. This case is not about Lauren's choices., It's about the choice someone else made. They may have been waiting for the right opportunity to strike and catch this girl as prey.
Yes, Lauren made a mistake. She stayed in Bloomington one week too long. She should have missed the race.

I suppose it's even possible that ZO had a thing for LS. You never know ...

I've wondered about that as well, although I'm not sure of the implications. ZO's reference to "pure as NY snow" could have been prompted by Bette Davis Eyes (from which the line is taken) being used in the movie Take Me Home Tonight during the introduction of the beautiful blonde who captures the male lead's heart. Take Me Home Tonight played in Bloomington in mid-March last year, recently enough for ZO to make the association with LS if that's how he felt. Again, even if that's the case, what does it mean?

I really don't like victim blaming. I don't think Lauren killed herself. This may be a rape-murder. I don't like hearing, she was drunk. She asked for it. Or, her skirts were too short. She asked for it. The fact is she did not want or ask for it. This case is not about Lauren's choices., It's about the choice someone else made. They may have been waiting for the right opportunity to strike and catch this girl as prey.
Yes, Lauren made a mistake. She stayed in Bloomington one week too long. She should have missed the race.

Well said! As for what I placed in bold - the way I see it, its about the choice made by those around LS of not protecting a person who was vulnerable.

Well said! As for what I placed in bold - the way I see it, its about the choice made by those around LS of not protecting a person who was vulnerable.

Using that logic, those around her were also "vulnerable" since most of them appear to have been doing the same thing she was doing. Assuming of course she actually did leave and went home, as JR claims.

Problem I see with Lifeline law is that is does not protect against civil suits.... Correct me if I'm wrong, the law would protect an underage drinker helping another, such that the underage person would not be charged for underage drinking.. but what if the a person is the one who supplies also supplies the alcohol/drugs?

Problem I see with Lifeline law is that is does not protect against civil suits.... Correct me if I'm wrong, the law would protect an underage drinker helping another, such that the underage person would not be charged for underage drinking.. but what if the a person is the one who supplies also supplies the alcohol/drugs?

As far as I understand it, someone providing alcohol to minor will not be protected by this law.

Is your impression that it was a friend that raped/killed her? or a random guy off the street? or someone who falls somewhere in the middle (acquaintance?)

I happen to agree with you...I think someone hurt her and none of this was an "accident."

Side note: An article someone posted claimed a homeless man heard a woman scream (too lazy to go back and quote it)...Around the time Lauren was last seen....what was THAT about?!? I don't think that is something someone would lie about, though maybe it wasn't her.

In no way did I intend to blame the victim - only to point out that I felt the focus of his remarks was off-base. However, the question must be asked - were she not impaired, would we be discussing her case on Websleuths?

In no way did I intend to blame the victim - only to point out that I felt the focus of his remarks was off-base. However, the question must be asked - were she not impaired, would we be discussing her case on Websleuths?

I know that had she caught a flight from Indianapolis to New York City, one year ago today June 1, 2011, we would not be here. If this is a rape-murder?
We could still be here if an acquaintance did the crime which I suspect to be the case. He just waited for opportunity. Could have been day or night regardless if she was drunk or sober. It doesn't take a genius to be a creep.
A creep can succeed just by being a creep.

Acquaintance? I think that is the least likely explanation. How did that acquaintance know when she was going to leave JR's? JR also supposedly claims he watched her leave and presumably didn't see anyone following her.

Acquaintance? I think that is the least likely explanation. How did that acquaintance know when she was going to leave JR's? JR also supposedly claims he watched her leave and presumably didn't see anyone following her.

Well, I certainly would not call him a friend. At least not in how I would define friend. And, Lauren's father told me he does not think it could be a stranger.

Well, I certainly would not call him a friend. At least not in how I would define friend. And, Lauren's father told me he does not think it could be a stranger.

I am talking about the scenario about her leaving JR's and meeting up with this acquaintance. How would this acquaintance know when she was going to leave JR's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greygooose