IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
and dumped her along one of the highways going to Ohio.

There's not really a good highway leading directly from Bloomington to Ohio. But there is a highway going directly from Bloomington to Columbus, IN.. I wonder in a passed down, telephone game type version of a story if Columbus, IN got transposed to Columbus, OH and finally just Ohio?
Highway 46 is a direct route from Bloomington to Columbus and has some wooded areas and I'm sure some secluded county roads intersecting it as well.

There's not really a good highway leading directly from Bloomington to Ohio. But there is a highway going directly from Bloomington to Columbus, IN.. I wonder in a passed down, telephone game type version of a story if Columbus, IN got transposed to Columbus, OH and finally just Ohio?
Highway 46 is a direct route from Bloomington to Columbus and has some wooded areas and I'm sure some secluded county roads intersecting it as well.
46E from Bloomington (going thru Columbus, IN) interchanges with I-74E to Ohio in Greensburg.

Could be, I honestly have no idea. Never heard anything else about the case while I was there. Only thing I've heard since is from my partner (she went to IU) she started the year that Lauren went missing. All she's ever heard from other students was that the roommates covered up her death.

But having now read most of this page, I wonder if maybe if you link Lauren hitting her head and someone grabbing her on her way home. So if you take someone taking her (not to murder her, just for other bad intentions) and she passed out and substantially died because of the head trauma. Could also be an example of how that man (apologies forgot his name) escalated to murdering Hannah?

Super tired so my mind is wandering, so sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

46E from Bloomington (going thru Columbus, IN) interchanges with I-74E to Ohio in Greensburg.

That's a pretty good drive though. It's got to be an hour, probably a little more, to Greensburg just to get to the Interstate. And I'm not sure someone looking to dump a body would be wanting to get to the Interstate. And then it's still a ways to Ohio via 74. And the Interstate is taking them to Cincinnati so not exactly a lonely stretch of highway, and not a highway to nowhere either. So there'd be the risk of being seen and the risk of being pulled over for a traffic violation too. And then they need to find time to get back to Bloomington. Plus sunrise would be a factor too, assuming they were really heading to Ohio, or even close to Ohio.

I'm not sure how the timeframe would work out for the Persons of Interest as far as when they were known to be in Bloomington that morning.

Reason I ask:

I'm an Aussie, and I was staying in Bloomington Indiana in 2015. I'd never heard about this case before or anything but I was told something in my time there. (Fore warning, I was slightly intoxicated it's so long ago now I don't remember names so much)

Anyway, there was one night I'd been out had some drinks, met a girl, and when we were back at her place on the verge of crashing for the night, she mentioned that at some point she was with Lauren's boyfriend/his close friend (I believe the way she said it was it was an old scholars night/party or however it is done in the states)
Basically they had been smashed drunk and this guy (boyfriend or close friend of) got really emotional and had a drunken rant about how he had accidentally caused her death freaked out to see up the idea of calling authorities but decided to get rid of her and dumped her along one of the highways going to Ohio.

Note:
For the life of me I can't remember her name.
I never gave it much thought because I honestly didn't know who she was talking about (I'd never heard of Lauren's case and we weren't talking about anything close to the issue when she brought it up, basically I was looking at her like 'huh')
She did mention the name of who she heard this from but I don't remember, I feel like I remember her telling me it was indeed Lauren's boyfriend, but being drunk and so long ago I honestly can't tell you for sure)
When she accidentally she did say how, they met up that night (she went to his or he knew where she was) they had an argument and he shook her or something along those lines and she just died.
She never really said that he mentioned exactly where he dumped her just that it was along a highway near Ohio and it was down a road off the highway or just off the highway. I believe the reason she brought it up was while I was in Bloomington another girl went missing, but I don't know.

Honestly like I said, it was a long while ago so the small details I don't remember (I wish I did) I was tipsy so I wasn't paying complete attention, I also basically had no idea what she was talking about.
She was upset about it and did seem sincere, but I don't know. Pure speculation I suppose, I have no idea if any of the time lines work or anything, just stumbled upon this website and Lauren's page figured I'd say something I guess.

Cheers,
B

Please contact the tip line! You may be the key to breaking this case wide open! 1-812-339-4477

Even the smallest detail ie: where you met this girl...or where you stayed that night....could lead investigators to the right person.

That's a pretty good drive though. It's got to be an hour, probably a little more, to Greensburg just to get to the Interstate. And I'm not sure someone looking to dump a body would be wanting to get to the Interstate. And then it's still a ways to Ohio via 74. And the Interstate is taking them to Cincinnati so not exactly a lonely stretch of highway, and not a highway to nowhere either. So there'd be the risk of being seen and the risk of being pulled over for a traffic violation too. And then they need to find time to get back to Bloomington. Plus sunrise would be a factor too, assuming they were really heading to Ohio, or even close to Ohio.

I'm not sure how the timeframe would work out for the Persons of Interest as far as when they were known to be in Bloomington that morning.
That is the quickest route I know to Ohio and would be a 2-3 hour drive. The likelihood of someone taking Lauren out of state depends on whether she was dead or alive. So, I agree with you that it's not likely someone got on the expressway with a body in the car. Can't think of any place along that route a body could be hidden all this time. But, there are plenty of wooded areas around Bloomington, e.g., Brown County State Park, Martin State Forest, Yellowwood, McCormick's Creek State Park. All within 1 hour. Then there are the lakes in Bloomington--Monroe, Lemon and Griffey. These would be the most likely sites to dump a body, but a body in a lake would have surfaced by now. JMO.

ETA: Wanted to add, if someone was said to have dumped a body along a highway going toward Ohio, they may have been referring to 46E, which would take them past Brown County State Park (I think Yellowwood is in that direction, too), or State Rd 50 which goes through the Martin State Forest.

I've been absent on here for awhile, and am catching up again. You may recall I continue to focus on DM as the POI in LS's disappearance. Some things I've read recently caught my attention:

1. DM's second assault case is making it's way through the court system. I would be shocked if it actually went to a jury trial. My guess is that with the DNA evidence, DM will plead out. I mean, he's not going anywhere anytime soon anyway....speaking of going anywhere though.....

2. Check out this April 20, 2017 article in the local newspaper (the Herald Times) about DM's appeal in the HW case: "In the meantime, 52-year-old Daniel Messel has been hospitalized at the psychiatric unit at the medium-security New Castle Correctional Facility since November. Prison officials will not comment on his status or why he is there, citing privacy laws." Isn't it interesting that since last November, it appears that DM and DH seem to be in the same facility? Wonder if they are actually together, and what they are chatting about.....

I tried to edit the quote I mentioned in my previous post to use only initials per rules, but was unable to (I think too much time had passed). Sorry about that.

For all the attention given to the three men who were the last ones admitting to seeing Lauren, and to JW, there simply is no evidence that any of them disposed of her body, either after she died from her own condition or by someone else's hand. LE and PIs cannot come up with any way, any of these guys got out and dumped a body.

Yes, some stranger, predator could have picked her up. Or someone she knew slightly. Barefoot, tired, in drugged up, drunk state, she would have welcomed the offer of a ride. Nothing caught on camera on that route she appeared to have taken. What happened after such a pickup not known, but resulted in Lauren's disappearance. But it seems to me, the familiar names in this story have been checked out many times over, and no vehicle and scenario can be put together. None of the theories work. But there were a lot of other people, students , locals, predators, acquaintances, whose vehicles were not checked out and anyone of them could have simply picked Lauren as she walked home

That is the quickest route I know to Ohio and would be a 2-3 hour drive. The likelihood of someone taking Lauren out of state depends on whether she was dead or alive. So, I agree with you that it's not likely someone got on the expressway with a body in the car. Can't think of any place along that route a body could be hidden all this time. But, there are plenty of wooded areas around Bloomington, e.g., Brown County State Park, Martin State Forest, Yellowwood, McCormick's Creek State Park. All within 1 hour. Then there are the lakes in Bloomington--Monroe, Lemon and Griffey. These would be the most likely sites to dump a body, but a body in a lake would have surfaced by now. JMO.

ETA: Wanted to add, if someone was said to have dumped a body along a highway going toward Ohio, they may have been referring to 46E, which would take them past Brown County State Park (I think Yellowwood is in that direction, too), or State Rd 50 which goes through the Martin State Forest.

I think 46e goes all the way to Ohio. My buddy and I used to fish at Brookeville reservoir right next to the Ohio border. Pretty remote area around there.
We would get on 46 in Spencer, hit btown, Columbus and strait over to brookeville

Oh...."hey" everyone. Been a while since ive been in. My liver decided it didnt want to play nice anymore and has caused me some issues lately.

Hope you're feeling better!!!
:happydance:

Could this be a case of Lauren's "friends" were stalking her and at the same time, someone(s) was stalking her/them?

Everything about Lauren's case is similar to Hannah's. Think about the last two hours of their known lives,
they were not only partying with their friends, but they both had loud altercations in and in front of the same bar which many people also loudly participated in, thus attracting the stalker, IMO.

If we get Yeahbabs' map out and superimpose the timelines, real and possible routes, even witnesses we could see similarities. Then, we include the timeline of victim who survived DM's attack because iirc she lived in same neighborhoods Hannah. and Hannah lived right around the corner from JW which is right around corner from Yogi's.
IMO Lauren would have been to Yogi's. The connection between Kilroy's and Yogi's triangle is there, as far as a stalker using this to follow potential victims. The third part of the triangle would be their residences, IMO

Interesting info on DM and several other incidents allegedly connected to him that were reported to police but allegedly not elevated in seriousness by LE enough to make a difference. These were from 2012. Apparently, they've had his DNA since '97 but didn't run the sample that was collected from rape/assault victim. This says he remains a person of interest in the LS case:

https://www.wthr.com/article/questions-swirl-around-history-dna-of-bloomington-killer

Reactions: IMH

How about some of the old quarries?

From the WTHR article above. Lauren's last reported location was at 11th and College, 1 block northwest of the highlighted area

But based on what happened to the women who had previously reported Messel to police, Adams believes Messel had an attack zone in a four by five block area of Bloomington, stretching from 8th Street to Kirkwood and between Dunn and Walnut.

bton - This is the area of Bloomington where Brown Co Prosecutor Ted Adams believes Messel troll.jpg

Reactions: IMH
DM bought the Silver Kia, which is heavily connected to his alleged attacks, in 2012. There were five separate incidents in a 3 month period during late 2012 that involved potential stalking and abduction with that vehicle.

By November 2012, the women living near Grant street had seen the guy in the Silver Kia so much, they gave him a nickname, "The Creeper."

Has there been any mention of what he was driving in 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member