IN IN - Paul Raymond Harrod May Have Been Using False Identity - Hamilton County - 27 Nov 1992 #2

Fake Paul may well have had similar issues. Kenneth Laitman only didn't get away with it because today it's much harder to get away with than back in the day, even if you've been using the fake identity for decades as Kenneth Laitman did.

The passport renewal for Laitman seems like a really big, really unnecessary risk.

I wonder if he just got WAY too complacent with his stolen identity, or if he was put into a position where he was going to be outed if he didn't go through with the renewal (for instance, his wife started asking a lot of questions about why he was so hesitant to renew his passport in 2024, 20 years after)

I am willing to bet Fake Paul had a getaway stash of some kind. Be it money, other identities, etc.

A "bug out bag" or bag he could grab quickly pre-prepared with everything he would need.

I partly think he had a large sum of cash somewhere, and intentionally took really low paying jobs to lay low on taxation and exposure.

I noticed quite a few of his jobs were for delivery. It makes me wonder if this was strategic, so he could get to his get-away bag quickly if he needed to.

I think Laitman just became too complacent. He had been using the same identity since 1984, so I suppose he assumed what could go wrong?

Lori Ruff was the only person in all of the well known cases of those using dead children's identities who actually went one step further and changed her name as the dead child, from that of the dead child to one of her own choosing, and then got a SS number, instead of getting a SS number as the dead child. She took it one step further, probably as extra insurance against getting caught, although she had to go to court as the dead child to do so, which is something of a risk. She also perhaps wanted to live under a name of her own choosing.

Question about the $100 bill..

Do we know if it was super clean and crisp, or if it was old and used in circulation for a while?

I wonder if he had a stash of $100s, had just withdrew this one from the bank, or if it was a bill he had for a while.

I know someone here has contact for the detective. And 2 hrs ago someone named Amy Smith commented on the 2019 Hamilton County post that best man is her dad. Not sure of its already known (because I forget) but important that I thought it needed shared.

I know someone here has contact for the detective. And 2 hrs ago someone named Amy Smith commented on the 2019 Hamilton County post that best man is her dad. Not sure of its already known (because I forget) but important that I thought it needed shared.
The bestman called the detective years ago. He unfortunately has been battling health issues and cannot remember the wedding or Paul; however, they were co workers and that’s how they knew each other

The bestman called the detective years ago. He unfortunately has been battling health issues and cannot remember the wedding or Paul; however, they were co workers and that’s how they knew each other
I just read he has passed. I feel bad. I need to go back and reread the facts because it's been to long.

Wonder what the records retention requirement (say that 3 times fast) is in the jurisdiction that entered the civil judgement?

Hopefully at least microfilm/scanned copy is available.

jmho ymmv lrr
If the other SS number could be somehow found, that would be very useful. But it is certainly possible it was redacted on those records, only part of it would be available, etc. It's worth looking into, though.

I do have another theory about the identity theft people Venn diagram of Lori Ruff, Joseph Newton Chandler, and Paul Harrod.

Isn't it reported that none of them were drinkers? I am not sure if they were completely abstinent, but many of them were known not to drink. Could this be because they didn't want to slip up in drunk conversation? They say that drunk men tell no lies......

Last edited:
i see quite a few similarities between our mystery man & John Henry Geppert III, missing since 1988. But i’m afraid he’s too young?!

Beware: the family gave him up as missing in 1988 but there are sites mentioning 1995. They give the same info & picture, so i think it’s just a wrong date…

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpeg
    IMG_2294.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 13
i see quite a few similarities between our mystery man & John Henry Geppert III, missing since 1988. But i’m afraid he’s too young?!

Beware: the family gave him up as missing in 1988 but there are sites mentioning 1995. They give the same info & picture, so i think it’s just a wrong date…

@CyresAres1 , how about John Henry Geppert III?

This is a good find and he does resemble fake Paul.

My biggest issue is the marriage certificate from his first divorce dating 1985. I think that’s significant too, as it shows he was using Paul Harrod as early as 1985.

This is a good find and he does resemble fake Paul.

My biggest issue is the marriage certificate from his first divorce dating 1985. I think that’s significant too, as it shows he was using Paul Harrod as early as 1985.

Yes, but -- we only have Not-Paul's claim that he was divorced in 1985....

And he claimed to be Paul Raymond Harris.

Unless someone found a decree??? (Fingers crossed, you betcha!)

jmho ymmv lrr

When did he use the name Harris again?

This information is unclear to me.

Another thing that is unclear to me;

Did he obtain the South Dakota credit card before or after he disappeared? Not many days from Thanksgiving to the New Year but I cannot determine if the obtained it before or after Thanksgiving 1992.

Those pictures don't look like the mid 90s to me, but just MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding
Back