IN IN - Renee Bruhl, Patricia Blough & Ann Miller, Indiana Dunes SP, 2 July 1966

Hello Mr.Blough, As usual my thoughts are was someone stalking any one of them? Did someone seem creepy and follow them?
I do not think people knew what a stalker was until recently?
I mean I may be wrong?
My first thought would be an ex of one of them?
A jealous person for one reason or another?
Always look close, as some clues seem to be there but not realized until later.
I have seen many stories on LMN about people who have people who pretend to like somebody and turn out to not like them?
I do hope someday you and your family find closure.
I have been reading about many cases here on Websleuths.Old ones and new ones.
It is very hard to understand how more than one girl follows along willingly? Making me wonder if some well-known culprit was in the area at that time?
Is there a way you can check to see what inmates may have been recenly let out at the time they went there?
Or perhaps a criminal got to work on a ship? A boat?
And had access to the boat to do this?
Never give up....:loveyou:
justice will come someday just put a few puzzle pieces together:twocents:
again, I would look into escaped or recent parolees or something like that?
A halfway house near there?
Something along those lines.:seeya:

Also?
If your sister was fearful I find it odd that she would be with other girls like that?
I know from the way you describe her, she would want to protect her friends and not hang with them if they would also be harmed right?

So I think whatever happened was a complete surprise.
I looked up the Silas guy and he was a Horse person, so that is how she met him in an innocent way.
Then not knowing it was dragged into a situation maybe overheard something?
and that was what happened maybe?
She may have been with her horse and heard something by accident?

There was much speculation along these lines. Richard Speck was even questioned sometime after he was arrested. However, the majority of circumstantial evidence points to Silas Jayne.

Robb2014 is now verified. Welcome Robb2014! I wish we had met under better circumstances. I'm really glad you found us. If we can help you with anything, please let us know. :hug:

Wow, Robb2014, I'm glad you found your way to Websleuths. This case has always intrigued me. I live near the Dunes and visit every summer. Getting your input is fantastic after all the years that have passed (with so many unanswered questions). Welcome and thanks for posting.

I'm very sorry about what happened to your sister.

Thank you both. It's been interesting for me to read all your posts. Not much has escaped you all. It's frustrating to think that there are probably still people living that have the answer to what happened that day. They say three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... it's hard to believe nothing's leaked out about this case in close to 50 years.

It continues to intrigue me that a person (or persons) would use the setting of Indiana Dunes State Park on a crowded holiday weekend to lure these three women away to their apparent fate. Those circumstances provided witnesses, a reported home move clip showing the girls, etc. rather than having taken place in a more secluded setting. Of course, to understand that choice, you have to think like predator or killer.

Someone may mention that Ted Bundy used a similar M.O. with some of his victims (two in one day at the same park), but that did produce some witnesses and, as I recall, information that later led to his identity.

It continues to intrigue me that a person (or persons) would use the setting of Indiana Dunes State Park on a crowded holiday weekend to lure these three women away to their apparent fate. Those circumstances provided witnesses, a reported home move clip showing the girls, etc. rather than having taken place in a more secluded setting. Of course, to understand that choice, you have to think like predator or killer.

Someone may mention that Ted Bundy used a similar M.O. with some of his victims (two in one day at the same park), but that did produce some witnesses and, as I recall, information that later led to his identity.

You're right about Bundy. That's how they got a description of him and that he had called himself "Ted". I think it was by the girl he tried to pick up but who didn't go with him, but I could be wrong about that.

It also seems that they would try to get one of the women away on her own, rather than risk taking three. But, I know it does happen.

I wandered onto this site today and was surprised at the length of this thread and how the same people have continued to frequent it, some for up to 9 years. I’ve gone back and read most of your posts and have found them insightful and interesting; and I’m touched by your continuing interest in this nearly 50 year old tragic case.

First of all, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Robert Blough, and I’m the brother of Patty Blough. It’s hard for me to relate to you the impact that this incident has had on my family over the years. My mother, who’s 94 now, still tears up whenever my sister’s name is mentioned, which is a subject we normally try to avoid. Personally, I still was having reoccurring nightmares about my sister 30 years after her disappearance. It’s always hard losing a loved one. But when someone is taken from you with this kind of uncertainty, I believe it’s the most painful kind of loss; due to the fact that there is no closure. I’ve talked with investigators regarding this case over the years, as recently as 2005 when the book “Unbridled Rage” came out and provided new interest in the case.

While reading through this thread, I was impressed at the fact that there is very little information, clues and leads that haven’t been mentioned here. There are however, a few things I can add from my own perspective, which I’d like to share with you.

First of all, Patty and I were very close throughout our childhood. She was 4 years older than I, and I looked up to her and respected her greatly. She was a unique person, very independent and very honest. Ever since I can remember, Patty was a horse lover. Even as a small child she lived and breathed her love for horses.

During the time leading up to her disappearance a few interesting things happened. First, the winter prior to her disappearance, she mentioned to me that she had a friend who was involved in organized crime. This person I later came to find out was George Jayne, brother of Silas. From what I’ve read about George, he wasn’t actually all that bad a guy, and certainly could not be compared to the pure evil personified that went by the name of Silas Jayne.

Sometime in early May, 1966, Patty came home with her face badly bruised and swollen. She had obviously been beaten up badly by someone. She claimed that she fell off her horse while exercising him, and our family naively believed her at the time. Even at 15 I remember wondering how the particular injuries she had could have come from a fall, and thought she looked like she’d gotten the hell beaten out of her.

Around this same time, my mother found some scratch paper where Patty had doodled, “trouble, trouble, I’m in so much trouble.”

The weekend before she disappeared, Patty and her friends also went to the Dunes State Park. She had told me she was going a few days earlier and asked if I wanted to come, which I replied yes. When Saturday came, she left early in the morning without telling me. When she got back, I asked her why she hadn’t taken me, and she answered, “You wouldn’t have wanted to come. We met guys there.”

I was sick with a bad cold the week prior to sister’s disappearance, and was lying in bed with a fever, when Patty came into my room and seemed troubled. She said to me, “I’m making out a will. I want you to have Hank (her Thoroughbred) if anything ever happens to me.” I said, “Patty, you’re 19 years old, what do you need a will for?” She said, “I just want to make one up. If I will you Hank, do you promise to take care of him?” I was 15 years old at the time and had no way of getting all the way out to Scottsdale farm near rt. 53 and Roosevelt Rd. from Westchester. Plus, I wouldn’t have been able to pay the boarding fees on top of it. I told her just that. She seemed a little hurt that I wasn’t willing to take on this responsibility; but I think she understood, and she told me she appreciated my honesty.

Later on that same day she came into my room to talk to me again. This time she said, “I’m going to tell you something, but you first have to promise that under no circumstances will you ever tell anyone.” I said, “I promise. What?” She said, “No matter what happens, you can never tell anyone.” I said, “I promise, no matter what happens, I’ll never tell anyone.” She thought for a few seconds and said, “I can’t tell you. Under the circumstances, even I would tell,“ and she walked out of my room. A few days later she disappeared; and had she told me this was going to happen, of course I wouldn’t have been able to watch my parents suffer without telling them what she had said, and she knew that. I sometimes think this was her way of telling me she was going to disappear, without actually saying it.

One of the men involved with Silas Jayne matched the description of the man who was reported to have picked the girls up in the small boat, and he owned a boat that matched the suspected boats description. It was an unusual boat for Lake Michigan, a 16 foot white tri-hull runabout with blue interior. He also kept the boat less than 3 miles from the Dunes. I can’t remember the source, but I read somewhere or was told that this person put in a claim on his insurance for the boat the week following the girl’s disappearance, claiming it burned up and sunk in Lake Michigan. I still remember the man's name and he's still alive. At least as far as I know he was still alive a couple of years ago.

In 2005 when the book “Unbridled Rage” came out, I contacted the author Gene O’Shea and had a lengthy conversation with him regarding my sister’s case and her association with Silas Jayne. Gene suggested I talk with one of the ATF agents that worked on the Helen Brach case. I contacted him and we also had a lengthy conversation regarding the same matter. The agent told me that one of the cooperating witnesses in the investigations of both Helen Brach and the Schuessler-- Peterson murders had told the agent that someday he'd tell him what happened to the Dunes girls. The agent explained that this person was difficult to deal with, and he had to approach him just right, but said he would reach out to him for me. The agent never got back to me, and I’ve found out that he has since retired. I’ve tried to contact him on a couple of occasions with no success.

Anyway, this is much of what I know about my sister’s disappearance. For years I believed she was still alive, due to the conversations we had just days before that dreaded 4th of July weekend. Patty had recently gotten beaten up. She had doodled, “I’m in so much trouble, trouble, trouble.” She indeed was troubled when she came to me and offered to will me her horse, and then tried to tell me a secret, which she admitted she herself wouldn’t be able to keep were she in my shoes. I now believe, like someone else on this thread mentioned previously, that she was in bad trouble with Silas Jayne and his horse mafia, and she was planning to stage her disappearance in order to get away from these people. I believe that most likely the man in the boat was part of the murder scheme and set the girls up under the guise of helping them disappear. There were reports of a large flash on the horizon, looking north from the southern shores of Lake Michigan on the day of my sister’s disappearance. Silas Jayne’s henchmen were familiar with dynamite. Wreckage of a boat was found near one of the southern Lake Michigan pumping stations; although no boats were reported missing. The only exception being the boat owned by the man associated with Silas Jayne who put in the insurance claim but never reported the incident to the Coast Guard.

I see so many of you have a continuing interest in this case, and I hope I provided some insight for you. If there are any questions you might have, I will be checking this site from time to time, so please feel free to ask me via this thread or a PM.

Robb2014, I'm so glad you registered on WS and shared your memories of your sister Patty, and your thoughts about the disappearance of the three women. I have been following this for many years. First, let me tell you how sorry I am that your family has had to go through the pain of your sister's disappearance. I agree that it is probably the worst kind of tragedy for a family to endure in that there is no closure.

I haven't posted on here for a long time, but I am one of the people who has long believed that Silas Jayne and the Horse Mafia was responsible for the disappearance of your sister Patty, along with Renee Bruhl and Ann Miller. I've thought about other theories but always come back to Jayne. I have always thought that the three men they were allegedly seen with was somehow set up by Jayne. And now that you say she was there the weekend before her disappearance and met some guys that weekend, it only deepens my belief that it was a set-up by Jayne and the previous weekend was just a ruse to maybe get the girls to feel comfortable with the guys so they would go back to the Dunes again on the weekend they disappeared.

I've often wondered if Silas Jayne set them up because Patty or one of the other girls had information about the car bombing that killed Cheryl Rude the previous summer of 1965. IIRC, that car bomb was meant for George Jayne and ended up killing Cheryl instead.

Once again, I'm sorry you and your family have had to go through all you've been through for the past 47 1/2 years. Reading your post has only convinced me further that Silas Jayne was somehow involved. I sure hope you can still get some answers about this.

It also seems that they would try to get one of the women away on her own, rather than risk taking three. But, I know it does happen.

To me, the case never had the feel of an abduction... seemed like more of a hit. Silas Jayne wasn't a thrill killer, but a ruthless, unconscionable, sociopath who would kill someone for stealing his parking space, but not necessarily for sport.

Robb2014,

Welcome to Websleuths and to this forum. I am very sorry for your family's loss and the sorrow which you have suffered over these many years.

You have provided some pertinent and interesting insight and details about your sister's disappearance.

Still some unresolved descrepancies and conflicting clues. There are a number of possible scenarios, but it sounds - from what you say - that Patty and perhaps the others were indeed in some sort of trouble and hoping to get out of it.

I believe that this case suffered from the start by legal jurisdiction problems which caused it to be handled/bungled by a series of agencies, each eager to pass it off to the next one.

With the fairly solid lead of the girls leaving their possessions on the beach and boarding a tri-hull runabout from the water - the info about an explosion, bits of wreckage washing ashore, and the guy reporting an insurance claim on his boat would have seemed very strongly related and wothy of investigation.

Do you know if there is any documentation regarding the Insurance Claim for the missing/ sunk boat? How does the guy claim that his boat sunk, but that he survived?

There seems to be some question if the area reported as where the women may be buried was ever checked? There is an indication on these posts that the sheriff who was going to do that lost his life in a farming accident and the search did not take place. However, I recall when I read about this case in a 1980's detective magazine that it later was searched and nothing was found. Which is correct? Also, with what appears to be the long-reaching hands of Silas Jayne, just how much investigation was done to determine if the mishap that killed that sheriff was truly an accident?

Thank you both. It's been interesting for me to read all your posts. Not much has escaped you all. It's frustrating to think that there are probably still people living that have the answer to what happened that day. They say three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... it's hard to believe nothing's leaked out about this case in close to 50 years.

Bumping for the three young ladies that disappeared from the Dunes.

The only problem I keep coming back to as far as this being some kind of organized 'hit' is the venue.
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around if you wanted to make these three girls disappear how on earth would you land on doing it on a crowded beach in broad daylight?
What exactly, would be your thought process?
"Hmmm....dozens of witnessess very likely armed with cameras,no cover coming or going.....so far so good."
"And best of all it goes without saying that NO ONE is likely to pay the slightest attention to three exceptionally attractive young woman out alone together sunbathing on the beach!"
"Time to act boys! We may never get another chance like this!"
I mean really?

The only problem I keep coming back to as far as this being some kind of organized 'hit' is the venue.
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around if you wanted to make these three girls disappear how on earth would you land on doing it on a crowded beach in broad daylight?
What exactly, would be your thought process?... I mean really?

I tend to agree with you. If a person wanted to assassinate a particular witness, killing two others would not make any sense at all.

And I think that may be the key here. The fact that things do not make any sense (as to it being a hit) makes me think that other more believable/viable clues toward the hit scenario might be only coincidental facts. That is, they might actually be true, but not connected with the chain of events leading to the three girls disappearance.

To my mind, the answer to this might lie in a chance meeting with an evil perpetrator rather than a targeted hit. The factors that you mention tend to make it more likely that some dirtbag with a boat might have enticed them on board for a ride and then either killed them or was in a tragic accident with them out on the water.

A 16 foot tri-hull runabout was a speed boat with a powerful engine of 75 Horsepower or greater. It was fueled with gasoline which is highly combustable. The combination of speed and combustable fuel seems a more imminent danger than a professional hit man making his move on a crowded beach.

Kline's thoughts are basically mine, too. Wouldn't there have been better opportunities if the intent was to eliminate the three women? As it turned out, using a beach with a holiday weekend crowd on hand resulted in what appears to be numerous witnesses and even a film of what may have been the beginning of their abduction. It seems as though experienced killers would have used other methods although such individuals have perhaps done stranger things.

Robb2014, I'm so glad you registered on WS and shared your memories of your sister Patty, and your thoughts about the disappearance of the three women. I have been following this for many years. First, let me tell you how sorry I am that your family has had to go through the pain of your sister's disappearance. I agree that it is probably the worst kind of tragedy for a family to endure in that there is no closure.

I haven't posted on here for a long time, but I am one of the people who has long believed that Silas Jayne and the Horse Mafia was responsible for the disappearance of your sister Patty, along with Renee Bruhl and Ann Miller. I've thought about other theories but always come back to Jayne. I have always thought that the three men they were allegedly seen with was somehow set up by Jayne. And now that you say she was there the weekend before her disappearance and met some guys that weekend, it only deepens my belief that it was a set-up by Jayne and the previous weekend was just a ruse to maybe get the girls to feel comfortable with the guys so they would go back to the Dunes again on the weekend they disappeared.

I've often wondered if Silas Jayne set them up because Patty or one of the other girls had information about the car bombing that killed Cheryl Rude the previous summer of 1965. IIRC, that car bomb was meant for George Jayne and ended up killing Cheryl instead.

Once again, I'm sorry you and your family have had to go through all you've been through for the past 47 1/2 years. Reading your post has only convinced me further that Silas Jayne was somehow involved. I sure hope you can still get some answers about this.

Hi Mary Liz, I haven't been on here for a while either and thought I'd check in since I had a few minutes today. The Cheryl Rude connection certainly is worth consideration and it's one of the top theories I think has been made regarding motive. The only thought I have on this is, I remember my sister telling me about her friendship with George Jayne, and how someone had tried killing him by putting a bomb in his car. I think had she witnessed the planting of the bomb she wouldn't have talked this openly about the incident... just my gut feelings on that, but the theory certainly does make sense.

Robb2014,
Do you know if there is any documentation regarding the Insurance Claim for the missing/ sunk boat? How does the guy claim that his boat sunk, but that he survived?

I don't know much about this except I remember hearing or reading that the owner of the boat put in a claim for a total loss shortly after the weekend of the disappearances. Again, this is an example of the mentality of that horse mafia group. Putting in a claim on this boat if it had been involved in the murders of 3 girls would have been a really stupid thing to do, but these guys had a habit of doing stupid things and still not getting caught. I think this is mostly due to the fear Silas Jayne instilled in everyone who knew him. Each one of the disappearances associated with Silas Jayne hit a dead end and remained that way until he died, then all of a sudden people started talking... the Scheussler Peterson case, Helen Brach, Cheryl Rude... the only exception being the 3 dunes girls. There was an initial glimmer of hope back in the 90s that this case might be solved, but that glimmer faded after a few years passed and nothing surfaced.

There seems to be some question if the area reported as where the women may be buried was ever checked? There is an indication on these posts that the sheriff who was going to do that lost his life in a farming accident and the search did not take place. However, I recall when I read about this case in a 1980's detective magazine that it later was searched and nothing was found. Which is correct? Also, with what appears to be the long-reaching hands of Silas Jayne, just how much investigation was done to determine if the mishap that killed that sheriff was truly an accident?

Good question. It seems a lot of strange coincidences surrounded Silas Jayne. Here's another one... 9 years before my sister and her friends disappearances, the two Grimes sisters' dead bodies were found on the side of the road just a mile or so from the stables of Kenny Hanson, the convicted murderer of the Scheussler Peterson boys and close associate of Silas Jayne.

Good question. It seems a lot of strange coincidences surrounded Silas Jayne. Here's another one... 9 years before my sister and her friends disappearances, the two Grimes sisters' dead bodies were found on the side of the road just a mile or so from the stables of Kenny Hanson, the convicted murderer of the Scheussler Peterson boys and close associate of Silas Jayne.
You know Im glad you mentioned those two crimes ,Kenny Hanson's murder of the boys and the Grimes sisters which many feel is connected.
My premise was putting myself in the head space of the perpretater and examining it from a 'rational' point of view if it were me.
However those two crimes clearly illustrate,if indeed they are connected that people in that circle were quite capable of acting from a decidely impulsive and irrational place.
Maybe it was the same at the Dunes and they were just incredibly lucky.
I know its been brought up before but I wish there were someway we could get ahold of that film(if it still exists) the things that can be done with digital enhancement these days could make it a complete game changer.

I don't know much about this except I remember hearing or reading that the owner of the boat put in a claim for a total loss shortly after the weekend of the disappearances. Again, this is an example of the mentality of that horse mafia group. Putting in a claim on this boat if it had been involved in the murders of 3 girls would have been a really stupid thing to do, but these guys had a habit of doing stupid things and still not getting caught. I think this is mostly due to the fear Silas Jayne instilled in everyone who knew him. Each one of the disappearances associated with Silas Jayne hit a dead end and remained that way until he died, then all of a sudden people started talking... the Scheussler Peterson case, Helen Brach, Cheryl Rude... the only exception being the 3 dunes girls. There was an initial glimmer of hope back in the 90s that this case might be solved, but that glimmer faded after a few years passed and nothing surfaced.

BBM

I can understand the hesitation to believe that with the Dunes being so crowded that weekend, it wouldn't seem credible to suspect a hit per se in such an open area. But if it was set up in such a way for the girls to meet some guys and take a ride on their boat, it wouldn't have looked out of the ordinary at all. I can also understand that if Patty Blough witnessed something she shouldn't have, it would not make sense to cause the disappearance of three women instead of just one. But I think I remember reading that Renee Bruhl and Ann Miller also rode at the Jayne stables, so it's possible they could have witnessed some goings-on at the stables and could have been involved in some trouble as well. From what I've read about Silas Jayne, I agree with Robb's statement above that he and his goons did a lot of stupid things with regards to their involvement in other crimes, and got away with so much for years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back