IN IN - Renee Bruhl, Patricia Blough & Ann Miller, Indiana Dunes SP, 2 July 1966

Bumping up case....in about 3 weeks it will have been 42 years now since these 3 women disappeared.

Bumping....they disappeared 42 years ago today.

Bumping.

These are the cases that really get me. 3 women just disappear without a trace never to be seen again.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6865/mystery.html

This is a very long, indepth article/essay into Silas and George Jayne and into the horse business. Silas Jayne was most certainly a bad person who did some awful things.
http://www.thelaborers.net/NEWS/blood_feud_by_gene_o.htm

Thanks for bumping this, gaia. I've almost bumped it a couple times since the anniversary date of their disappearance last July but there has been absolutely nothing new and I just never bumped it again.

This one really gets me, too. Another disappearance of THREE women! Thanks also for posting the link to that article again. I've read it before but other people should read it too. I just really believe Silas Jayne was in some way responsible for their disappearance. One of the business cards for his stables was found in one of the girl's billfold. It may be coincidence, but with all 3 girls being horse enthusiasts, the connection to Silas Jayne must strongly be considered. The number of cases involving murder and disappearances linked to him is astounding. I really believe he had something to do with this.

This is one of those cases that just drives you nuts.

Sad - I did a google news search to see if any local papers ran an anniversary story and didn't see anything.

This is one of those cases that just drives you nuts.

Sad - I did a google news search to see if any local papers ran an anniversary story and didn't see anything.

I checked for news articles, too. I was really hoping the Chicago Tribune or the local paper for the city nearest the Dunes in Chesterton, IN would do an updated article. I think the last one written was around 2002, or sometime around then.

It's odd, but I can very nearly remember what I was doing around that time. Ordinarily, I probably wouldn't remember that far back so vividly, but I went to summer camp for the first time in July 1966. I went the first week in July. I remember leaving the day after the 4th, so I was getting ready to go then, and was so excited. It's strange to think back on that time now and think about what happened to those girls that weekend. Maybe that's why this case haunts me so, is the fact that I can pretty much remember what I was doing at the time.

Yeah this one of those cases that is baffling.
I know what you mean there are a few cases where I can place myself precisely in time when they were happening.
It lends kind of spooky imediacy to them.

Yeah this one of those cases that is baffling.
I know what you mean there are a few cases where I can place myself precisely in time when they were happening.
It lends kind of spooky imediacy to them.

That is the kinda of connection I have with the three missing women from Springfield, MO (sub-forum in Cold Cases). I was born and raised in Springfield and was 12 when they vanished. I remember their posters plastered all over the city, the constant news coverage, the van the police parked outside the police department they thought was similar to the one spotted that night. I was staying with my dad that summer because my mother was in the Middle East on a archaelogical dig and my step-sisters and I would stay up and speculate on what we thought happened. It didn't seem possible that 17 yrs later we still wouldn't know.

I feel the disappearance of the three had nothing to do with any doings of the Jayne family. Although doing such things in crowded places such as a July 4th weekend at a park isn't unheard of, I don't think that was the case in this instance. I once read that it is more dangerous to accept a ride on a boat than it is in a car. Apparently, the girls were taken in by one of more individuals who wanted more than offering them a boat ride. Perhaps once they were out on the lake and far from shore, one of the males on the boat tried to force himself on one of the girls. This may have led to a confrontation that resulted in a decision that all three of them had to be done away with. That leads to the question, what happened to the bodies? They could have been weighted down and dropped into the depths of Lake Michigan or buried somewhere along the shore, far from the beach area, or farther inland. I wonder what the condition of the film taken on the beach that day is? Could it now be viewed with more modern equipment in hopes of viewing the license that was the on the boat the girls went on or other features that could be used in identification? Although it has been over 43 years, you would hope this matter could be solved or at least more information be obtained.

I feel the disappearance of the three had nothing to do with any doings of the Jayne family. Although doing such things in crowded places such as a July 4th weekend at a park isn't unheard of, I don't think that was the case in this instance. I once read that it is more dangerous to accept a ride on a boat than it is in a car. Apparently, the girls were taken in by one of more individuals who wanted more than offering them a boat ride. Perhaps once they were out on the lake and far from shore, one of the males on the boat tried to force himself on one of the girls. This may have led to a confrontation that resulted in a decision that all three of them had to be done away with. That leads to the question, what happened to the bodies? They could have been weighted down and dropped into the depths of Lake Michigan or buried somewhere along the shore, far from the beach area, or farther inland. I wonder what the condition of the film taken on the beach that day is? Could it now be viewed with more modern equipment in hopes of viewing the license that was the on the boat the girls went on or other features that could be used in identification? Although it has been over 43 years, you would hope this matter could be solved or at least more information be obtained.

Good points. I have long thought Silas Jayne was responsible for their disappearance simply because of their connections to one another, (two of the girls apparently rode at his stables), and because Jayne was responsible for so many crimes between the 1950s and 1970s. But it's also been in the back of my mind that they simply accepted a boat ride from someone and things somehow went wrong, like you suggested. I live about 3 1/2 hours from the Indiana Dunes and I have often thought of driving there to look at the case files and wondered if I could see the films that were taken that day, too. I've always been intrigued with the films and would love to see them. It would definitely be eerie to view the films and actually see the girls on there. But you're right, with so much new technology since 1966, you would think the films could be viewed now and maybe new details would show up that weren't seen back then.

Would the police let you look at the case files, Cambria? Are you able to view them under the freedom of information act or something?

Would the police let you look at the case files, Cambria? Are you able to view them under the freedom of information act or something?

I'm sure I could look at the case files under the Freedom of Information Act. I think about going a lot since it's within a decent driving distance. But I don't want to go by myself, and I'll probably wait until next spring when the weather gets nice again after this coming winter is over. I would contact them and ask them if I could see the files...but I would really love to see the film. :)

Another WSer, Marilynilpa, who is working on the Alice Parsons cold case, plans to go to Suffolk Co. NY to look at her case file and she is using the FOI Act to gain access to those records, so I think it would be possible.

As somebody stated earlier, the chances of anyone like Silas Jayne planning this are non-existent.Too many variables involved. Their abduction was obviously a crime of opportunity and i can not believe that no one has stated the obvious suspect. Richard Speck. His ship came in in mid June and these 3 girls disappeared 11 days before the 8 nurses were slaughtered in Chicago. It is a mere 40 miles from where the girls were murdered. I don`t know how well Speck was questioned , if he had a good alibi or if he had access to a boat but 2 weeks later he was behind bars for good and no more girls disappeared like that.

Although it sounds like something that would be quite interesting to view and any interest in this case is certainly justified and most welcome, I question if the authorities would permit the viewing of the film that was taken that day. I feel that is especially true since the investigation could be considered on-going (although, of course, a true cold case) since the girls have never been found or their fates truly determined. I would hope that this film evidence could be viewed with 21st Century technology that could show faces of the people (both the young girls & others on board) along with possible indentification information of the watercraft. My guess is the film in question was a "Super 8" type that was just becoming popular at that time rather than the more established 16 millimeter. From what I have seen, the Indiana State Police is the office who has the jurisdiction in this case.

Although it sounds like something that would be quite interesting to view and any interest in this case is certainly justified and most welcome, I question if the authorities would permit the viewing of the film that was taken that day. I feel that is especially true since the investigation could be considered on-going (although, of course, a true cold case) since the girls have never been found or their fates truly determined. I would hope that this film evidence could be viewed with 21st Century technology that could show faces of the people (both the young girls & others on board) along with possible indentification information of the watercraft. My guess is the film in question was a "Super 8" type that was just becoming popular at that time rather than the more established 16 millimeter. From what I have seen, the Indiana State Police is the office who has the jurisdiction in this case.

I don't know that I could get to see the films. I could probably look at the files with the Freedom of Information Act. But I wish I could get a gander at the films, especially like you said, with 21st Century techology. I just think it would be fascinating and eerie to see them alive and possibly close up. But like I said before, it's about 3 1/2 hours away. If I contacted the Indiana State Police about seeing the files, and told them I had an interest in the case, and wanted to write an online article about it or something, it wouldn't be until next year when summer rolls around again. I just wish a reporter would write an updated article for the newspaper and bring it to the public's attention again. I can't remember when the last "anniversary" article was written, I think sometime around 2002 maybe? These cases need to be kept in the public eye. I don't mean the local paper has to publish an article every year, but at least every few years so people don't forget.

As somebody stated earlier, the chances of anyone like Silas Jayne planning this are non-existent.Too many variables involved. Their abduction was obviously a crime of opportunity and i can not believe that no one has stated the obvious suspect. Richard Speck. His ship came in in mid June and these 3 girls disappeared 11 days before the 8 nurses were slaughtered in Chicago. It is a mere 40 miles from where the girls were murdered. I don`t know how well Speck was questioned , if he had a good alibi or if he had access to a boat but 2 weeks later he was behind bars for good and no more girls disappeared like that.

Wow, I never thought about Richard Speck. You're right, the timing is perfect for him. I don't know that he was questioned at all about this case. Murdering those 8 nurses was such a heinous crime, I wonder if the police even thought to make a connection between the 2 cases. Since these 3 girls disappeared and weren't found murdered, they probably seemed like completely different cases at the time. That's very interesting that you brought him up in regards to this case.

Although it is possible and does make you think, I don't believe that Richard Speck was involved in this matter. Speck seemed more like the kind who could almost melt into the intercity, especially a place the size of Chicago, to commit his crimes rather than travel out of his element to somewhere like Indiana Dunes State Park. Working as a loner, Speck was able to tie up and then kill the nurses as each returned to the facility where they lived. Remember, he also lost count of who he had captured which led to the one girl being able to elude being murdered. In the case of the three missing girls it very well could have taken two, three or more people to subdue them even if they were out on the water. Just my thoughts, but admitedly the Speck angle does present a possibility.

I don't believe for a minute that Richard Speck was involved. First, he was a very disorganized killer, with no regard as to who, when, or where his victims would be found as he didn't care.

I grew up near the Arlington Race Track in Illinois, and this case was always brought up, as was Helen Brach's. The horse racing business was and still is a somewhat shady business. When the fire happened "mysteriously" at the track in 1985, well, no one in Illinois really believed it was an accident. The track that opened back up in 1989 was nothing like it was. It is now one of the most beautiful in the country, next To Del Mar in North San Diego. It was a beaten down track before the fire.

I think the main link here is Richard Bailey. Whatever venture Bailey was involved in, trouble or disappearances usually came with it. Take Helen Brach. While he may not have personally killed Helen Brach, there is no doubt in my personal opinion that he was involved.

As far as the Indiana Dunes case, somebody involved in the horse racket business would have no problem getting rid of a perceived problem if the young women maybe knew a little too much or feared they might snitch. My take is that if this is indeed what happened, it was planned almost to perfection. Could Bailey and his cohorts have known of their plans to go to the Dunes and had someone waiting for them, using a ruse as a friendly boater to gain their trust, etc? Very possible and I think likely. The reason no bodies haven't been found is because it is likely they were not simply buried somewhere haphazardly. That is not the way these people do business. Richard Speck would be sloppy like that, and in my mind eliminates him completely. Another reason no bodies have been located is that many key players in the horse trade then are now deceased.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back