IN IN - Spencer, BlkFem 395UFIN, 25-45, medallion 'Corline S likes Steve P', Oct'03

Can someone enlarge the image of the medallion?

I think the actual term for this is a "love token." They seem to have been in vogue in the late 1700's and throughout the 1800's. However this certainly looks newer than that. The ones from the 1800's were quite ornate, with calligraphy and often flourishes and details. The tokens were often made from coins. I would love to see what the back of this token looks like. I am wondering if this particular love token was made from a rail line or transit line fare token. The fair tokens were not solid and often had cutouts, kind of similar to how this one does. Also, besides the two names and the word "love" there also seems to be the word "Lines" which was a common word to find on those tokens. The writing seems to be more similar to the writing on old fare tokens than on the traditional love tokens.

I think perhaps next, I'd like to try and date when fare tokens started being widely used and see if I can find any old fare tokens that have a similar looking stamp in the middle. Also, I'd like to see what the back of this token looks like - if it is just flat or if there are any markings. I will try and work on this, but if anyone wants to help that would be great!

I did tons of image searches for fare tokens/transit tokens and found several similar-looking but none the same. There are quite a few tokens with 3 and four "prongs" in the middle but I didn't see any with five (a star-shaped cut out) like the UIDs.

Just so you know that someone else is also looking :)

How about Caroline? Is there a Caroline S. missing?

I only have two adult Carolines missing before Oct 2003. Both are Caucasian, and neither have surnames starting with "S".

I found a woman that looks like she had a broken nose that healed crooked. What do you guys think?

http://charleyproject.org/cases/j/jackson_catherine.html

She might be worth a look, despite that she doesn't resemble the recon, and is a little older than the age estimate.

Her nose is clearly crooked (as is described of the Jane Doe). The timeframe is good, and the Spencer IN is only a couple hundred miles up the road from St. Louis.

Yeah this case is going to haunt me...I keep picturing this Corline and her beau Steve at a fair getting one of those medillions. Young, in love, dreams of the future and no clue what would become of Corline. That's sad!

Can't tell how old the medallion is but she kept it and it doesn't seem to have any monetary value so it was sentimental to her.

I agree, I think her first or middle name is Corline and last name starts with an S. OR it was then pendant of someone else who was dear to her and died or something (sister?) and made her feel close to them.

I don't see the victem on NamUs and can't find any news articles???

At first I thought, "No way," but Catherine Jackson isn't as far off the reconstruction as I thought, and some of the difference is in weight, not bone structure. That makes Catherine's face appear roundish when it's really quite long and narrow.

She doesn't have that extremely long space between her nose and upper lip, but it's longer than average.

She's not in NamUs that I can find.

Attachments

• jackson_catherine 2002 MO.jpg
    jackson_catherine 2002 MO.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 395UFIN about 2002.jpg
    395UFIN about 2002.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 37
Just did a quick looky-loo and got some hits of Coraline S. from the census pages. It looks like there is at least 3 people from pre 1940s with those initials that are black. I don't have Ancestry or anything like that- but maybe somebody who does can get some surnames for us to work with?

I really think the UID could be Catherine Jackson. Even more so now that carbuff posted the side by side pictures. Reconstructions are not always 100% spot on and I can imagine that weight might be a difficult thing to determine in some cases.

I really think the UID could be Catherine Jackson. Even more so now that carbuff posted the side by side pictures. Reconstructions are not always 100% spot on and I can imagine that weight might be a difficult thing to determine in some cases.

Catherine Jackson doesn't appear to be listed in the Missouri Highway Patrol missing persons website, which is the agency Doenet lists for contact. I thought I had looked at her in NamUs, but I don't see her there, either. I wonder if she's been found?

Another possibility that has been listed in WIKI (don't know how reliable this would be). States DNA testing was inconclusive. Where are you looking up those persons that have been ruled out please?

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Niqui_McCown

<snipped>
Remains speculated to be McCown were found near Spencer, Indiana in November 2003 but DNA tests were inconclusive. McCown is still officially listed as missing.

Marilyn Renee McCown

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccown_marilyn.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3198dfin.html

summer breeze, I'm not seeing ruleouts anywhere. I thought I had seen some on NamUs, but she doesn't seem to be in there now and I don't know whether I'm just remembering wrong.

There's a Corline Stone in Cincinnati, which is 2 1/2 hours away. Her granddaughter Africa Hope (15) was killed by a bullet shot by a Harold Croft in June 2012, assumed intended for someone else. Croft had been sentenced in 2003 for manslaughter, when he shot and killed a rival drug dealer in the same neighborhood in which he shot the little girl, and only released in April 2012. Africa Hope had been being raised by her grandmother.

A follow-up story mentions the names of the dead girl's aunt, Ebony Stone, and her godmother, but neither of the stories mentions her mother. Presumably the girl's father, who's not mentioned either, has the last name Hope. No mention is made of a sibling, but it's possible that this is Africa's missing mother (black spokesperson represents Africa as abandoned by her parents at link), and that she may have a son (by another man) with the name Steve P., whose grandmother had this medallion made for him, and which she kept it as a memento (or had put it into her pocket because a nephew had left it on the floor, or whatever). The slain girl has a surviving sister and a 'stepdad,' (last name Metz) which in this case, I suppose, means her grandmother's husband.

So, black, name Corline, missing (literally or figuratively) woman, not too far away.

Actually, this article mentions the slain Africa Hope's mother's name of Vanessa Hope...

http://www.fox19.com/story/18829993/family-seeks-answers-in-vine-street-murder

....I just hope that we find out who the person was who did what they did to her," the teen's mother Vanessa Hope said.

Vanessa Hope says she has found peace in her daughter's death.

So her mother isn't our UID but there still could be some correlation with this case and the grandmother Corline Stone.

Back to the medallion, upon closer inspection, I'm not sure the inscription reads "Corline S loves Steve P".... Is anyone else able to enhance it better or know of where a better image exists?

Actually, this article mentions the slain Africa Hope's mother's name of Vanessa Hope...

http://www.fox19.com/story/18829993/family-seeks-answers-in-vine-street-murder

....I just hope that we find out who the person was who did what they did to her," the teen's mother Vanessa Hope said.

Vanessa Hope says she has found peace in her daughter's death.

So her mother isn't our UID but there still could be some correlation with this case and the grandmother Corline Stone.

Back to the medallion, upon closer inspection, I'm not sure the inscription reads "Corline S loves Steve P".... Is anyone else able to enhance it better or know of where a better image exists?

I haven't been able to enhance the picture, but from what I can see I think it could say "Caroline" instead of "Corline".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
#MadMax210
Back