Iran - Ukrainian Airlines Boeing 737 crashes, 180 possible fatalities, Tehran, 8 Jan 2020

VIDEO, quite something, imo.
Students refuse to walk over US and Israeli flags
"Iran students refuse to walk over US and Israeli flags
Many students at a university in Tehran have openly avoided walking over US and Israeli flags in an apparent show of defiance again the Iranian government.

Video shows the students walking around, rather than across, the flags at Shahid Beheshti University campus. The flags were painted on the ground so that those walking along the route would thereby insult both countries - which Iran considers staunch enemies.

Thousands of protesters chanting anti-government slogans have taken to the streets after Iran's military admitted it had mistakenly downed a passenger plane."

VIDEO, quite something, imo.
Students refuse to walk over US and Israeli flags
"Iran students refuse to walk over US and Israeli flags
Many students at a university in Tehran have openly avoided walking over US and Israeli flags in an apparent show of defiance again the Iranian government.

Video shows the students walking around, rather than across, the flags at Shahid Beheshti University campus. The flags were painted on the ground so that those walking along the route would thereby insult both countries - which Iran considers staunch enemies.

Thousands of protesters chanting anti-government slogans have taken to the streets after Iran's military admitted it had mistakenly downed a passenger plane."
This takes an incredible amount of guts on the part of these protestors. Their last massive protest was over gas prices, and the regime murdered hundreds.

What they are doing now, could very well get them killed.

This takes an incredible amount of guts on the part of these protestors. Their last massive protest was over gas prices, and the regime murdered hundreds.

What they are doing now, could very well get them killed.

I thought the same thing for four of the people who uploaded four specific videos that I saw. The repercussions they might have once being identified.

Putting those four videos together pretty much showed the entire world what the reality was on YouTube before the governmental agencies came out with it.

MOO

I thought the same thing for four of the people who uploaded four specific videos that I saw. The repercussions they might have once being identified.

Putting those four videos together pretty much showed the entire world what the reality was on YouTube before the governmental agencies came out with it.

MOO

I never even thought about the risk they were taking but I’m so grateful they did it. I really hope nothing happens to them.

I never even thought about the risk they were taking but I’m so grateful they did it. I really hope nothing happens to them.
Unfortunately..
Videos show Iranian police using live fire against protesters in Tehran
January 13, 2020 9:16AM EST
image.jpg

"Online videos appeared to show Iranian security forces firing live ammunition and tear gas to disperse protests as popular anger swelled Monday over the accidental shootdown of a Ukrainian jetliner and Iran's failed attempt to conceal its role in the tragedy."
Videos sent to the New York-based Center for Human Rights in Iran and later verified by The Associated Press show a crowd of demonstrators near Azadi, or Freedom, Square fleeing as a tear gas canister lands among them. People cough and sputter while trying to escape the fumes, with one woman calling out in Farsi: “They fired tear gas at people! Azadi Square! Death to the dictator!”

Another video shows a woman being carried away in the aftermath as a trail of blood can be seen on the ground. Those around her cry out that she has been shot in the leg.

“Oh my God, she's bleeding nonstop!” one person shouts. Another shouts: “Bandage it!”

Photos and video after the incident show pools of blood on the sidewalk.

Tehran's police chief, Gen. Hossein Rahimi, later denied his officers opened fire."

''The first protest erupted in Tehran at what was initially billed as a candlelight vigil. “They are lying that our enemy is America! Our enemy is right here!” students shouted.''

''Iranian authorities briefly arrested the British ambassador, who said he went to the vigil to pay his respects and left as soon as the chanting began.''

IMO
Its very obvious to me that Iran was on high alert after they did their revenge attack on the US Bases. They were expecting a US based response after Iran targeted the US Bases with missiles.

So when that commercial plane made a normal navigational turn which happened to be heading toward an Iranian military base according to what I read in another article., the military people at that base had to make a quick decision whether or not to shoot it down and they made a terrible wrong decision. They obviously were trigger happy and did not handle things well at all.

They were expecting a US response and this plane happened to fit into their imagination's expectations. They must not have had enough checks and balances in their actions.
It seems a simple radio call out on the same frequency as commercial airlines use would have been enough to ask the pilot what they were doing in the air. Instead they just fired weapons at it and were going to ask questions later.

For decades now, I think the Iranian people and the US people would have had a better working relationship if it were not for stubborn leadership from both sides. More recently we have a chance to mend our relationship with Iran and I think its possible. I think the people from both countries want this. I just hope leadership from both countries can sit down and work things out peacefully.

Its a small miracle that nobody was killed in the US Base revenge attack by Iran. This is a huge blessing because if Iran had killed any US serviceman in that revenge attack I am afraid this would have escalated worse than it already is. The whole situation is at a good point now for everyone to just stop and talk through this to avoid any more casualties and improve the relationship between the two countries. Thats my hope anyway.

Unfortunately..
Videos show Iranian police using live fire against protesters in Tehran
January 13, 2020 9:16AM EST
image.jpg

"Online videos appeared to show Iranian security forces firing live ammunition and tear gas to disperse protests as popular anger swelled Monday over the accidental shootdown of a Ukrainian jetliner and Iran's failed attempt to conceal its role in the tragedy."
Videos sent to the New York-based Center for Human Rights in Iran and later verified by The Associated Press show a crowd of demonstrators near Azadi, or Freedom, Square fleeing as a tear gas canister lands among them. People cough and sputter while trying to escape the fumes, with one woman calling out in Farsi: “They fired tear gas at people! Azadi Square! Death to the dictator!”

Another video shows a woman being carried away in the aftermath as a trail of blood can be seen on the ground. Those around her cry out that she has been shot in the leg.

“Oh my God, she's bleeding nonstop!” one person shouts. Another shouts: “Bandage it!”

Photos and video after the incident show pools of blood on the sidewalk.

Tehran's police chief, Gen. Hossein Rahimi, later denied his officers opened fire."

''The first protest erupted in Tehran at what was initially billed as a candlelight vigil. “They are lying that our enemy is America! Our enemy is right here!” students shouted.''

''Iranian authorities briefly arrested the British ambassador, who said he went to the vigil to pay his respects and left as soon as the chanting began.''

It is terrible I hope the situation improves ASAP.

We have a lot of immigration from Iran and Iraq, I have no doubt that these folks go home to see relatives, vacation or business travel. They are probably naturalized citizens. Americans can travel where they want, they have to take connecting flights, same as going to Cuba, airlines don't fly there from here, but routinely from other countries.

I am glad that Iran took responsibility for this, and that our president didn't over react to this situation.

just curious - do you think his reaction would've been different had any Americans been on board?

Iran detains suspects over Ukraine plane downing

Several people have been detained in Iran over the accidental shooting down of a Ukrainian passenger plane with a missile, the country's judiciary says.

Spokesman Gholamhossein Esmaili said investigations into the incident were continuing, but provided no details.

President Hassan Rouhani said the probe would be overseen by a "special court".

On Friday, I found a video showing TWO missiles fired. I went back to rewatch the video about an hour later and it was pulled from the web. This was before Iran admitted that they “accidentally” shot down the plane. I told my hubby, I swear I saw a video of TWO... NYTimes now has verified the video.

New Video Shows Two Iranian Missiles Hit Ukrainian Plane

I’m no expert in ordinances but someone please explain how you shoot ONE missile, then ACCIDENTALLY fire a SECOND one?

Unconscionable....

This online group geolocated the source of the missile on Thursday. Pretty amazing work. They also did extensive work on MH17 as well.

Video Apparently Showing Flight PS752 Missile Strike Geolocated to Iranian Suburb - bellingcat

Those innocent people had to be absolutely terrified. The plane was hit by the first missile which knocked out the transponder and lights on the aircraft. The plane continued to fly! It looks like the pilot tried to turn around and return to the airport when the second missile was fired. The second one caused another explosion that could be seen like a fireball in the sky before it plunged to the ground and lights up the entire horizon with the explosion. Absolutely senseless, horrific way to die. Those poor souls....

Prayers for all....

rbbm.
RCMP creating DNA profiles to help identify Canadians killed in Iran plane crash
''Canada’s national police force is taking part in the massive effort to identify dozens of Canadians killed in last week’s plane crash in Iran.''

“On-site disaster victim identification assistance from Canada has not been requested at this time,” Catherine Fortin said in a statement. “The RCMP is currently creating DNA profiles here in Canada to assist Iran with Canadian victim identification.”

Much of that work, Fortin said, will involve gathering samples from family members of the plane crash victims. Of the 176 people killed in the crash, federal officials have said 138 were bound for Canada.''
''Dr. David Sweet, professor of dentistry at the University of British Columbia and Interpol’s former chief scientific officer for disaster victim identification, said such material forms a vital part of all efforts to put names to those killed in large-scale tragedies.

He said the profiles generated in Canada will be compared to fragments of teeth, jaw bones and other tissues most likely to have survived the crash, which took place on Jan. 8 when the plane was hit by at least one surface-to-air missile fired by the Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards.

But Sweet said officials around the world may face challenges in their efforts to identify the dead due to conditions on the ground in Iran.''
'The home country has not requested assistance initially and may not have had an established response plan or a team that could respond quickly with all of the needed infrastructure and … expertise to do things effectively,” he said.

Iran is not alone in this regard, Sweet said, noting that while Canada has emerged as a global leader in the field of victim identification, the international community at large is not well-equipped to respond to such situations.

“There’s training and capacity-building that’s necessary over a period of time, and nobody worries about that,” he said. “It’s death, and you don’t want to turn your mind to that sort of thing under normal circumstances, and then all of a sudden when this happens and you realize that you really need someone, where do you find them?”

Efforts to identify victims will be unfolding against an increasingly tense political backdrop.'

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colleenx
Back