Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 min ago

White House officials silent after hospital blast in Gaza​

From CNN's MJ Lee and Kayla Tausche

White House officials were silent in the immediate aftermath of a hospital bombing in Gaza that killed hundreds, unresponsive to numerous questions about what impact the deadly blast might have on President Joe Biden’s highly anticipated trip to the region.
Hours before Biden was expected to fly to Israel for an extraordinary visit to the war-torn region, a massive blast hit a hospital in Gaza, killing hundreds of people.

There was immediate consequence for the president’s upcoming trip, even before Biden had left the White House: Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas pulled out of his meeting with Biden, which had been set to take place in Jordan along with other regional leaders.

Meanwhile, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) denied culpability, saying that it was the Palestinian Islamic Jihad group that launched a barrage of rockets from Gaza toward Israel, and that a “failed rocket launch” hit the Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital.
Palestinian officials have said the hospital was hit in an Israeli strike.
The moment vividly captured precisely how much is at stake for Biden as he heads to the Middle East.

US officials had said they had made painstaking efforts to ensure Biden’s security before greenlighting the trip. Biden was also set to emphasize to his Israeli counterpart and others the importance of minimizing civilian casualties in the conflict.

I know this is a decades long conflict but is there an unbiased link somewhere to explain like I'm 5 years old the whole thing past and present?
I don't know if TOS would allow me to post the results here (probably not), but you can ask an AI to explain anything like you're five. ChatGPT is probably you're best AI to use as it's best at conversation. You can then ask clarifying questions if you want.

3 min ago

White House officials silent after hospital blast in Gaza​

From CNN's MJ Lee and Kayla Tausche

White House officials were silent in the immediate aftermath of a hospital bombing in Gaza that killed hundreds, unresponsive to numerous questions about what impact the deadly blast might have on President Joe Biden’s highly anticipated trip to the region.
Hours before Biden was expected to fly to Israel for an extraordinary visit to the war-torn region, a massive blast hit a hospital in Gaza, killing hundreds of people.

There was immediate consequence for the president’s upcoming trip, even before Biden had left the White House: Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas pulled out of his meeting with Biden, which had been set to take place in Jordan along with other regional leaders.

Meanwhile, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) denied culpability, saying that it was the Palestinian Islamic Jihad group that launched a barrage of rockets from Gaza toward Israel, and that a “failed rocket launch” hit the Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital.
Palestinian officials have said the hospital was hit in an Israeli strike.
The moment vividly captured precisely how much is at stake for Biden as he heads to the Middle East.

US officials had said they had made painstaking efforts to ensure Biden’s security before greenlighting the trip. Biden was also set to emphasize to his Israeli counterpart and others the importance of minimizing civilian casualties in the conflict.

They won’t be silent for long, imo. I expect a statement soon.

22:09

Middle Eastern states react to hospital blast in Gaza​

Here's how neighbouring countries have reacted to the hospital blast.
As we've been reporting - Hamas has blamed Israel, but the Israeli military says the explosion was caused by a rocket fired by Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) militants that fell short. PIJ has denied the allegation:
  • Egypt's foreign ministry denounced the alleged strike "in strongest terms"
  • Iran's foreign ministry noted that the blast killed and injured hundreds of "unarmed and defenceless people"
  • The Syrian presidency described it as "one of the most heinous and bloodiest massacres against humanity"; words echoed by Saudi Arabia, which called it a "heinous crime"
  • Jordan's King Abdullah described it as a "war crime"
  • And the UAE has, jointly with Russia, called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on Wednesday morning
BBC News is attempting to verify what happened at the facility on Tuesday.

1 min ago

EU can stand in solidarity with Israel while helping with needs of Palestinians, commission president says​

From CNN’s James Frater and Lianne Kolirin

The European Union is working with Egypt to deliver aid to those fleeing the conflict in Gaza, according to the president of the European Commission.
Ursula von der Leyen said the commission is in contact with authorities in Egypt to try to allow humanitarian aid to be delivered to Gaza.

The commission is also “establishing an air bridge to Egypt, close to Gaza in order to be in a position to quickly deliver aid across the border.”

“We're also explaining to the Israeli authorities that providing water to Gaza is essential. This is a basic human right,” she added.

Such moves do not affect the EU’s position on the recent attacks launched by Hamas on October 7, she said.

“There is no contradiction in standing with Israel in solidarity and acting for the humanitarian needs for the Palestinians,” von der Leyen said.

Charles Michel, the president of the European Council, said on Tuesday that “Egypt has very clearly said in many political and diplomatic contacts, that they did not wish to open the border with Gaza.”

“But we are working with all the leaders in the region to try to organize the evacuation of foreign civilians. And, we're also working with all the leaders of the region in order to make possible the humanitarian access to be able to provide to the people in need what they need and to meet their basic needs,” he added.

Are Hamas/PIJ rockets actually capable of killing 300 people in one go? Deliberately or otherwise?
One loaded with rocket fuel I suppose. We know for a fact that Islamic Jihad and Hamas like to store weapons and launch sites near hospitals and schools, and you’re only one mistake away from catastrophe.

Also, these are Hamas’ numbers. That being said, you’re dealing with a packed hospital, and a fire alone could easily kill a huge number of people.

Israeli President @Isaac_Herzog
responds to the allegations that an Israeli airstrike caused the Gaza hospital fire: “Shame on the media who swallow the lies of Hamas and Islamic Jihad - broadcasting a 21st century blood libel around the globe. Shame on the vile terrorists in Gaza who willfully spill the blood of the innocent.”

sorry, I don't have a timestamp, I only saw this shared on a reporter's timeline

Thanks @cottonweaver but @MyBelle was asking about my post #911:

BBC News live saying this attack on the hospital will make it very difficult for Israel to normalise relations with Arab nations. ”All of that is out of the window now.”

It wasn’t this journalist who said it. I am quite certain it was a male guest who was being interviewed.

Israeli President @Isaac_Herzog
responds to the allegations that an Israeli airstrike caused the Gaza hospital fire: “Shame on the media who swallow the lies of Hamas and Islamic Jihad - broadcasting a 21st century blood libel around the globe. Shame on the vile terrorists in Gaza who willfully spill the blood of the innocent.”

Many of the major outlets who took Hamas at face value have now changed their headlines. The damage has been done though.

Thanks @cottonweaver but @MyBelle was asking about my post #911:

BBC News live saying this attack on the hospital will make it very difficult for Israel to normalise relations with Arab nations. ”All of that is out of the window now.”

It wasn’t this journalist who said it. I am quite certain it was a male guest who was being interviewed.
whoops sorry!
okay so guests can say whatever they like even if they're embarrassing themselves by calling stuff too early

Sophy Ridge, presenter of a Sky politics show was also sticking her neck out tonight. Far too early.

TV news people need to stay in their lane instead chasing off after the hare

I was pregnant, living in Manhattan, on 9/11. My thoughts that day and in following days were definitely and primarily on my baby. Yes, I was concerned about my neighborhood, city, nation, world.....but mothers are programmed to think of their babies.

I don't fault anyone's motherly instinct. It is the most important thing in the world.

jmo
I was 8 months pregnant and not living in Manhattan but in another major US city many corporate hqs that could have easily been targeted as well. We also lived next to an AFB and I spent weeks just waiting for it to be “our turn”. Thankfully it never was.

I could not sleep, worried about the world into which I was bringing our baby. (Now 21, yikes!)

Sorry for the slight OT but your post brought back all of those feelings, @Inthedetails ❤️

3m ago
In the UK, Labour leader Keir Starmer said the scenes of hundreds killed at Gaza’s Al-Ahli Arabi Baptist hospital are “absolutely devastating and cannot be justified.”

“International law must be upheld,” Starmer posted to X.

Scotland’s first minister, Humza Yousaf, who has several family members trapped in Gaza, said the attack should be “unequivocally condemned in the strongest possible manner”.

“There can be no justification for this. None whatsoever,” Yousaf wrote in a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
funeris antro