JFP - school?

emily5181

Reaction score
I remember a witness saying Jock (Jacques) mentioned his father was a prominent doctor but also that he was supposed to go to medical school but essentially bailed. If he was from Quebec he most likely went to Laval University of Medicine or McGuil University, I’m wondering if I can find anyone or anything to help me look into those old archives. I’m just a province over so thinking that his family may be living not too far away not knowing their son is a national case drives me crazy. Sorry if this isn’t much help this is my first post :)

I would not expect a college to keep the records of students who don't arrive & enroll.

Possibly his acceptance might be announced in a local newspaper. Do Canadian provinces have newspaper archives, probably part of a university?

I would not expect a college to keep the records of students who don't arrive & enroll.

Possibly his acceptance might be announced in a local newspaper. Do Canadian provinces have newspaper archives, probably part of a university?

im using newspapers.com searching Canada wide because I can’t choose to search by province but I do know that Quebec does have some provincial archives but lots are either for university personnel or you have to go physically seen the archives cause they can’t be bothered to put every single file online.

im using newspapers.com searching Canada wide because I can’t choose to search by province but I do know that Quebec does have some provincial archives but lots are either for university personnel or you have to go physically seen the archives cause they can’t be bothered to put every single file online.

Actually, the archivists would most certainly bother if the newspaper would survive & someone would pay for the equipment & time needed to complete the work.

Handling paper shortens the paper's life. Turning pages, for example.

Light & heat shortens paper's life. Microfilming camera, scanner.

Many older papers are thin, and the inks have bled at least part way through the paper itself. Microfilmed images or scans are difficult to read.

So -- preparing a newspaper for on-line publishing threatens the artifact.

Preparing a newspaper for on-line publishing is expensive. One qualified archivist is handling one newspaper at a time, in the gentlest way possible to protect & preserve the artifact.

Amazingly enough, once COVID lets up, we will be able to return to archives, put on our white gloves, and review historic documents in the air conditioned comfort of a newspaper archive.

To genealogists, holding a sheet of paper that your ancestor held -- is well worth the preliminary research and the drive.

To genealogists, finding a short newspaper article with an ancestor's name -- is well worth the preliminary research and the drive.

Be prepared to leave everything in a locker outside the reading rooms!!!

If the young man was expected to attend medical (or dental) school, has anyone developed a list of those programs in the time frame?

Does Canada have osteopathic physicians or chiropractors? Are these referred to as 'doctors' in Canada?

My research questions are prepped -- how about yours?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irennnnn
Back