Jodi Arias Legal Question and Answer Thread *no discussion* #2

Would it be possible for all the death-voting jurors to appeal to JSS at the sentencing hearing to convince her to go with LWOP? By the way, is there testimony at the sentencing hearing? Pleas for one option or another? Does Juan get up and argue for LWOP?

:seeya: AZL

QUESTION:

Can you provide any information or prior cases for which a juror was kicked due to "not deliberating" in Arizona (or elsewhere?) Are you aware of case history where such has happened?

And if not, what do you believe would have needed to have had to been written/possible scenarios in a note to the judge to have a juror kicked for the court to believe it fits the law that the juror should be replaced with an alternate.

What is the threshold of a note for such a decision that you think jurists may consider if it has no case law? Can you give an example of a sample note which would fly as to the juror getting removed?

Expound please...as I may not be clear in my question.

TIA for all that you do for us :blowkiss:

There's quite a bit of case law. I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't easily search Westlaw, but I don't remember ever reading a case where a decision to kick off a juror for failure to deliberate was actually upheld. I'm sure those cases are out there, though. The standard is extremely tough to meet, especially in a penalty phase where jurors are told to make their decision individually and not to be swayed by pressure to reach a unanimous verdict. I would think in this phase it would have taken something like, "juror 17 put on her headphones at the beginning of deliberations and turned her chair to the wall."

Would it be possible for all the death-voting jurors to appeal to JSS at the sentencing hearing to convince her to go with LWOP? By the way, is there testimony at the sentencing hearing? Pleas for one option or another? Does Juan get up and argue for LWOP?

The jurors are not parties and would not be allowed to participate. The judge can just go with what she already knows or can accept statements from attorneys, victims, etc. For appeal purposes, she probably should let JA say something if JA has conquered her fear of public speaking.

Hi AZL- first I wanted to thank you so much for all of your time, effort, patience, intelligence, knowledge, insight and humor here on this thread. Your contributions have added so very much! :tyou:

I have a question regarding this issue with the 12th juror. I hope I can articulate it clearly. I understand during voir dire many jurors revealed they had heard of the case and were familiar to some degree, and it seems this includes juror #12 too, and that this familiarity wouldn't necessarily be an issue as long as they weren't biased by what they knew. In the post verdict interview given by the other 11 jurors, it was mentioned that juror 12 brought up her familiarity with the made for TV movie. Apparently she stated during deliberations that from that movie she thought JA was a monster, and then she didn't see evidence of a monster during this retrial. Isn't this a bias, the feeling that she was expecting to see a monster? So, not that she watched parts of the movie, but that it created preconceived expectations that did seem to influence her?? Does this make sense? Thank you so much AZL.

Hi AZL- first I wanted to thank you so much for all of your time, effort, patience, intelligence, knowledge, insight and humor here on this thread. Your contributions have added so very much! :tyou:

I have a question regarding this issue with the 12th juror. I hope I can articulate it clearly. I understand during voir dire many jurors revealed they had heard of the case and were familiar to some degree, and it seems this includes juror #12 too, and that this familiarity wouldn't necessarily be an issue as long as they weren't biased by what they knew. In the post verdict interview given by the other 11 jurors, it was mentioned that juror 12 brought up her familiarity with the made for TV movie. Apparently she stated during deliberations that from that movie she thought JA was a monster, and then she didn't see evidence of a monster during this retrial. Isn't this a bias, the feeling that she was expecting to see a monster? So, not that she watched parts of the movie, but that it created preconceived expectations that did seem to influence her?? Does this make sense? Thank you so much AZL.

It is OK to have knowledge of the case prior to trial, and it is even OK to have preconceived ideas about the case prior to trial, as long as (1) you are honest in voir dire and (2) you agree you are prepared to change your mind. Here, she said she did change her mind, so as long as she answered the voir dire questions truthfully this wouldn't be a problem.

Jurors from the Peterson trial were dismissed, including the Foreman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/11/national/11peterson.html

We were only discussing dismissals for "failure to deliberate." Although I know several people on WS have said that's why Jackson was dismissed from the Peterson trial, my recollection is that he repeatedly demanded to be dismissed for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by khaki View Post

Hi AZL- first I wanted to thank you so much for all of your time, effort, patience, intelligence, knowledge, insight and humor here on this thread. Your contributions have added so very much!

It is OK to have knowledge of the case prior to trial, and it is even OK to have preconceived ideas about the case prior to trial, as long as (1) you are honest in voir dire and (2) you agree you are prepared to change your mind. Here, she said she did change her mind, so as long as she answered the voir dire questions truthfully this wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the clarification AZL. It's quite something. If this juror did feel the movie portrayed JA as a monster, and she said so during voir dire, I would imagine the defense would have booted her. Yet ultimately, she gave KN his "victory" (cough, cough).

We were only discussing dismissals for "failure to deliberate." Although I know several people on WS have said that's why Jackson was dismissed from the Peterson trial, my recollection is that he repeatedly demanded to be dismissed for some reason.

BBM There are docs on twitter purporting to show that her husband was previously successfully prosecuted by JM. IF that were true, would she not be in trouble for failing to disclose that?

BBM There are docs on twitter purporting to show that her husband was previously successfully prosecuted by JM. IF that were true, would she not be in trouble for failing to disclose that?

Really, wow. Yes, that would be a big deal--jurors are always asked in voir dire if they know the attorneys or have had any prior experience with them. I had a potential juror once who was CEO of a company against which I had just won a big judgment. He claimed he didn't remember me and felt he could be fair. :rolleyes:

I will be mostly unavailable for the next week, BTW, so feel free to PM me if questions are sittin here unanswered and I will try to check this thread.

Here's some language from a 9th Circuit case for you all to chew on in the other thread. ;)

United States v. Symington, 195 F.3d 1080 (9th Cir. 1999)

 A trial judge faces special challenges when attempting to determine whether a problem between or among deliberating jurors stems from disagreement on the merits of the case.  “[A] court may not delve deeply into a juror's motivations because it may not intrude on the secrecy of the jury's deliberations.”  Brown, 823 F.2d at 596;  see Thomas, 116 F.3d at 619.   There are important reasons why a trial judge must not compromise the secrecy of jury deliberations.   First, if trial judges were permitted to inquire into the reasoning behind jurors' views of pending cases, “it would invite trial judges to second-guess and influence the work of the jury.”  Thomas, 116 F.3d at 620.   Second, a trial judge's examination of juror deliberations risks exposing those deliberations to public scrutiny.   Such exposure, in turn, would jeopardize the integrity of the deliberative process.   See id. at 618-19.   As Justice Cardozo put it, “Freedom of debate might be stifled and independence of thought checked if jurors were made to feel that their arguments and ballots were to be freely published to the world.”  Clark v. United States, 289 U.S. 1, 13, 53 S.Ct. 465, 77 L.Ed. 993 (1933);  see Frank A. Bacelli, Note, United States v. Thomas:  When the Preservation of Juror Secrecy During Deliberations Outweighs the Ability to Dismiss a Juror for Nullification, 48 Cath. U.L.Rev. 125, 153 n. 215 (1998) (“Commentators long have feared that the disclosure of deliberations to the general public could affect a juror's decisionmaking process during trial and could potentially undermine the public's confidence in the jury system.”);   Benjamin S. DuVal, Jr., The Occasions of Secrecy, 47 U. Pitt. L.Rev. 579, 646 (1986) (“The secrecy of the jury room, like that of the Supreme Court conference, is designed to promote the free and candid interchange of views.”);   Note, Public Disclosures of Jury Deliberations, 96 HARV. L. REV. 886, 889 (1983) ( “Juror privacy is a prerequisite of free debate, without which the decisionmaking process would be crippled.”).4

In refraining from exposing the content of jury deliberations, however, a trial judge may not be able to determine conclusively whether or not a juror's alleged inability or unwillingness to deliberate is simply a reflection of the juror's opinion on the merits of the case, an opinion that may be at odds with those of her fellow jurors.   Thus, in the rare case where a request for juror dismissal focuses on the quality of the juror's thoughts about the case and her ability to communicate those thoughts to the rest of the jury, “the court will likely prove unable to establish conclusively the reasons underlying” the request for dismissal.  Brown, 823 F.2d at 596.   In such cases a trial court lacks the investigative power that, in the typical case, puts it in the “best position to evaluate the jury's ability to deliberate.”  Beard, 161 F.3d at 1194.

The Second and D.C. Circuits have recognized this dilemma.   See Thomas, 116 F.3d at 620-23;  Brown, 823 F.2d at 595-97.   Those cases both involved allegations that a juror was unwilling or unable to apply the law as instructed by the judge.   In Brown a juror informed the judge that he was “unable to discharge [his] duties as a member of th[e] jury.”   823 F.2d at 594.   In Thomas, the jury complained that one juror had a “predisposed disposition” and that he was unwilling to decide the case under the law as instructed by the judge.  116 F.3d at 611.   The Second and D.C. Circuits recognized that the trial judges in those cases could not have plumbed the depths of the problem without delving into the juror's views on the merits of the case.   Thus, those courts held that “if the record evidence discloses any possibility that the request to discharge stems from the juror's view of the sufficiency of the government's evidence, the court must deny the request.”  Brown, 823 F.2d at 596;  Thomas, 116 F.3d at 621-22 (quoting Brown ).

 We hold that if the record evidence discloses any reasonable possibility that the impetus for a juror's dismissal stems from the juror's views on the merits of the case, the court must not dismiss the juror.5  Under such circumstances, the trial judge has only two options:  send the jury back to continue deliberating or declare a mistrial.   See Brown, 823 F.2d at 596.   This rule is attentive to the twin imperatives of preserving jury secrecy and safeguarding the defendant's right to a unanimous verdict from an impartial jury.   We are confident that “[g]iven the necessary limitations on a court's investigatory authority in cases involving a juror's alleged refusal [or inability] to follow the law, a lower evidentiary standard could lead to the removal of jurors on the basis of their view of the sufficiency of the prosecution's evidence.”  Thomas, 116 F.3d at 622.6

BBM

<3 & *advertiser censored*, AZL

Here's some language from a 9th Circuit case for you all to chew on in the other thread. ;)

&#8195;A trial judge faces special challenges when attempting to determine whether a problem between or among deliberating jurors stems from disagreement on the merits of the case. &#8194;&#8220;[A] court may not delve deeply into a juror's motivations because it may not intrude on the secrecy of the jury's deliberations.&#8221; &#8194;Brown, 823 F.2d at 596; &#8201;see Thomas, 116 F.3d at 619. &#8194; There are important reasons why a trial judge must not compromise the secrecy of jury deliberations. &#8194; First, if trial judges were permitted to inquire into the reasoning behind jurors' views of pending cases, &#8220;it would invite trial judges to second-guess and influence the work of the jury.&#8221; &#8194;Thomas, 116 F.3d at 620. &#8194; Second, a trial judge's examination of juror deliberations risks exposing those deliberations to public scrutiny. &#8194; Such exposure, in turn, would jeopardize the integrity of the deliberative process. &#8194; See id. at 618-19. &#8194; As Justice Cardozo put it, &#8220;Freedom of debate might be stifled and independence of thought checked if jurors were made to feel that their arguments and ballots were to be freely published to the world.&#8221; &#8194;Clark v. United States, 289 U.S. 1, 13, 53 S.Ct. 465, 77 L.Ed. 993 (1933); &#8201;see Frank A. Bacelli, Note, United States v. Thomas: &#8201;When the Preservation of Juror Secrecy During Deliberations Outweighs the Ability to Dismiss a Juror for Nullification, 48 Cath. U.L.Rev. 125, 153 n. 215 (1998) (&#8220;Commentators long have feared that the disclosure of deliberations to the general public could affect a juror's decisionmaking process during trial and could potentially undermine the public's confidence in the jury system.&#8221;); &#8201; Benjamin S. DuVal, Jr., The Occasions of Secrecy, 47 U. Pitt. L.Rev. 579, 646 (1986) (&#8220;The secrecy of the jury room, like that of the Supreme Court conference, is designed to promote the free and candid interchange of views.&#8221;); &#8201; Note, Public Disclosures of Jury Deliberations, 96 HARV. L. REV. 886, 889 (1983) ( &#8220;Juror privacy is a prerequisite of free debate, without which the decisionmaking process would be crippled.&#8221;).4

In refraining from exposing the content of jury deliberations, however, a trial judge may not be able to determine conclusively whether or not a juror's alleged inability or unwillingness to deliberate is simply a reflection of the juror's opinion on the merits of the case, an opinion that may be at odds with those of her fellow jurors. &#8194; Thus, in the rare case where a request for juror dismissal focuses on the quality of the juror's thoughts about the case and her ability to communicate those thoughts to the rest of the jury, &#8220;the court will likely prove unable to establish conclusively the reasons underlying&#8221; the request for dismissal. &#8194;Brown, 823 F.2d at 596. &#8194; In such cases a trial court lacks the investigative power that, in the typical case, puts it in the &#8220;best position to evaluate the jury's ability to deliberate.&#8221; &#8194;Beard, 161 F.3d at 1194.

The Second and D.C. Circuits have recognized this dilemma. &#8194; See Thomas, 116 F.3d at 620-23; &#8201;Brown, 823 F.2d at 595-97. &#8194; Those cases both involved allegations that a juror was unwilling or unable to apply the law as instructed by the judge. &#8194; In Brown a juror informed the judge that he was &#8220;unable to discharge [his] duties as a member of th[e] jury.&#8221; &#8194; 823 F.2d at 594. &#8194; In Thomas, the jury complained that one juror had a &#8220;predisposed disposition&#8221; and that he was unwilling to decide the case under the law as instructed by the judge. &#8194;116 F.3d at 611. &#8194; The Second and D.C. Circuits recognized that the trial judges in those cases could not have plumbed the depths of the problem without delving into the juror's views on the merits of the case. &#8194; Thus, those courts held that &#8220;if the record evidence discloses any possibility that the request to discharge stems from the juror's view of the sufficiency of the government's evidence, the court must deny the request.&#8221; &#8194;Brown, 823 F.2d at 596; &#8201;Thomas, 116 F.3d at 621-22 (quoting Brown&#8201;).

&#8195;We hold that if the record evidence discloses any reasonable possibility that the impetus for a juror's dismissal stems from the juror's views on the merits of the case, the court must not dismiss the juror.5 &#8194;Under such circumstances, the trial judge has only two options: &#8201;send the jury back to continue deliberating or declare a mistrial. &#8194; See Brown, 823 F.2d at 596. &#8194; This rule is attentive to the twin imperatives of preserving jury secrecy and safeguarding the defendant's right to a unanimous verdict from an impartial jury. &#8194; We are confident that &#8220;[g]iven the necessary limitations on a court's investigatory authority in cases involving a juror's alleged refusal [or inability] to follow the law, a lower evidentiary standard could lead to the removal of jurors on the basis of their view of the sufficiency of the prosecution's evidence.&#8221; &#8194;Thomas, 116 F.3d at 622.6

BBM

Whatever happens with this juror, it is my understanding that it will not in any way affect the outcome of the trial for Arias. Am I correct?

&#8195;A trial judge faces special challenges when attempting to determine whether a problem between or among deliberating jurors stems from disagreement on the merits of the case. &#8194;&#8220;[A] court may not delve deeply into a juror's motivations because it may not intrude on the secrecy of the jury's deliberations.&#8221; &#8194;Brown, 823 F.2d at 596; &#8201;see Thomas, 116 F.3d at 619. &#8194; There are important reasons why a trial judge must not compromise the secrecy of jury deliberations. &#8194; First, if trial judges were permitted to inquire into the reasoning behind jurors' views of pending cases, &#8220;it would invite trial judges to second-guess and influence the work of the jury.&#8221; &#8194;Thomas, 116 F.3d at 620. &#8194; Second, a trial judge's examination of juror deliberations risks exposing those deliberations to public scrutiny. &#8194; Such exposure, in turn, would jeopardize the integrity of the deliberative process. &#8194; See id. at 618-19. &#8194; As Justice Cardozo put it, &#8220;Freedom of debate might be stifled and independence of thought checked if jurors were made to feel that their arguments and ballots were to be freely published to the world.&#8221; &#8194;Clark v. United States, 289 U.S. 1, 13, 53 S.Ct. 465, 77 L.Ed. 993 (1933); &#8201;see Frank A. Bacelli, Note, United States v. Thomas: &#8201;When the Preservation of Juror Secrecy During Deliberations Outweighs the Ability to Dismiss a Juror for Nullification, 48 Cath. U.L.Rev. 125, 153 n. 215 (1998) (&#8220;Commentators long have feared that the disclosure of deliberations to the general public could affect a juror's decisionmaking process during trial and could potentially undermine the public's confidence in the jury system.&#8221;); &#8201; Benjamin S. DuVal, Jr., The Occasions of Secrecy, 47 U. Pitt. L.Rev. 579, 646 (1986) (&#8220;The secrecy of the jury room, like that of the Supreme Court conference, is designed to promote the free and candid interchange of views.&#8221;); &#8201; Note, Public Disclosures of Jury Deliberations, 96 HARV. L. REV. 886, 889 (1983) ( &#8220;Juror privacy is a prerequisite of free debate, without which the decisionmaking process would be crippled.&#8221;).4

In refraining from exposing the content of jury deliberations, however, a trial judge may not be able to determine conclusively whether or not a juror's alleged inability or unwillingness to deliberate is simply a reflection of the juror's opinion on the merits of the case, an opinion that may be at odds with those of her fellow jurors. &#8194; Thus, in the rare case where a request for juror dismissal focuses on the quality of the juror's thoughts about the case and her ability to communicate those thoughts to the rest of the jury, &#8220;the court will likely prove unable to establish conclusively the reasons underlying&#8221; the request for dismissal. &#8194;Brown, 823 F.2d at 596. &#8194; In such cases a trial court lacks the investigative power that, in the typical case, puts it in the &#8220;best position to evaluate the jury's ability to deliberate.&#8221; &#8194;Beard, 161 F.3d at 1194.

The Second and D.C. Circuits have recognized this dilemma. &#8194; See Thomas, 116 F.3d at 620-23; &#8201;Brown, 823 F.2d at 595-97. &#8194; Those cases both involved allegations that a juror was unwilling or unable to apply the law as instructed by the judge. &#8194; In Brown a juror informed the judge that he was &#8220;unable to discharge [his] duties as a member of th[e] jury.&#8221; &#8194; 823 F.2d at 594. &#8194; In Thomas, the jury complained that one juror had a &#8220;predisposed disposition&#8221; and that he was unwilling to decide the case under the law as instructed by the judge. &#8194;116 F.3d at 611. &#8194; The Second and D.C. Circuits recognized that the trial judges in those cases could not have plumbed the depths of the problem without delving into the juror's views on the merits of the case. &#8194; Thus, those courts held that &#8220;if the record evidence discloses any possibility that the request to discharge stems from the juror's view of the sufficiency of the government's evidence, the court must deny the request.&#8221; &#8194;Brown, 823 F.2d at 596; &#8201;Thomas, 116 F.3d at 621-22 (quoting Brown&#8201;).

&#8195;We hold that if the record evidence discloses any reasonable possibility that the impetus for a juror's dismissal stems from the juror's views on the merits of the case, the court must not dismiss the juror.5 &#8194;Under such circumstances, the trial judge has only two options: &#8201;send the jury back to continue deliberating or declare a mistrial. &#8194; See Brown, 823 F.2d at 596. &#8194; This rule is attentive to the twin imperatives of preserving jury secrecy and safeguarding the defendant's right to a unanimous verdict from an impartial jury. &#8194; We are confident that &#8220;[g]iven the necessary limitations on a court's investigatory authority in cases involving a juror's alleged refusal [or inability] to follow the law, a lower evidentiary standard could lead to the removal of jurors on the basis of their view of the sufficiency of the prosecution's evidence.&#8221; &#8194;Thomas, 116 F.3d at 622.6

BBM

More simpler terms please

AZL, thank you. This is quite illuminating. I guess JSS knows what she is doing. I hope more people read this as I think it will help to quell some of the frustration and anger people are feeling right now. It doesn't address how the juror made it onto the jury, but it certainly explains why she had to stay from a legal point of view.

BTW, from your earlier post I am guessing you are going on vacation. Hope you have fun and just get some chill time.

AZL, thanks for all your answers. I have no problem with the outcome of the case and am horrified at those vilifying the 17th juror. But I am curious regarding impact if it was proved that the juror never had any intention of voting for the death penalty. Wouldn't that imply that Arias was never in jeopardy in terms of the death penalty? If so, would that nullify the second penalty trial and allow the state yet another bite of the apple? Or would this only be the case if Arias/her attorneys had colluded with the juror?

Please note I am not implying that Arias/her attorney's had anything to do with the outcome, I sure they didn't.

Thanks.

Whatever happens with this juror, it is my understanding that it will not in any way affect the outcome of the trial for Arias. Am I correct?

I think you're correct. If this truly was a "stealth juror" who was, e.g., trying to get back at JM for putting her husband in prison, that answer bothers me, though, and I keep thinking there must be some way around it. But what can JM do? Ask for a mistrial? He just got one. :thinking:

JSS was not permitted to remove juror 17 unless there was no reasonable possibility that juror 17 just had a different view of the evidence than the other jurors. She was also not allowed to ask any questions about juror 17's view of the evidence or what was being said about the evidence in deliberations. Thus there was no way she could kick off the juror without being overturned on appeal IMO.

AZL, thanks for all your answers. I have no problem with the outcome of the case and am horrified at those vilifying the 17th juror. But I am curious regarding impact if it was proved that the juror never had any intention of voting for the death penalty. Wouldn't that imply that Arias was never in jeopardy in terms of the death penalty? If so, would that nullify the second penalty trial and allow the state yet another bite of the apple? Or would this only be the case if Arias/her attorneys had colluded with the juror?

Please note I am not implying that Arias/her attorney's had anything to do with the outcome, I sure they didn't.

Thanks.

It would be fine if she never had any intention of voting for the death penalty as long as she would have done so in some other hypothetical case consistent with the jury instructions. Certainly there was nothing about the evidence or instructions in this case that REQUIRED her to vote death.

Your question about collusion (which I know is a paranoid fantasy some people have about this case) makes me go back to my thoughts in response to the first quoted post, above. Surely there must be some way to retroactively "undo" this mistrial and grant a mistrial for a totally different reason that would allow retrial? I don't know of any case where this has come up before...this statutory arrangement is still pretty new.

If a member (let's hypothesize a mitigation specialist) of a legal team (let's hypothesize a defense team) tampers with a jury, can the attorneys on the team be disbarred? If they could have or should have known that the jury was being tampered with? If they condoned a pattern of behavior (e.g. manipulating social media, even while in court) that made jury tampering very likely?

If a member (let's hypothesize a mitigation specialist) of a legal team (let's hypothesize a defense team) tampers with a jury, can the attorneys on the team be disbarred? If they could have or should have known that the jury was being tampered with? If they condoned a pattern of behavior (e.g. manipulating social media, even while in court) that made jury tampering very likely?

OK, first of all let me say I do not believe any jury tampering happened here. Hypothetically, of course jury tampering either directly or through another person could get a lawyer disbarred. But social media comments wouldn't be considered potential jury-tampering behavior, because the jurors shouldn't be reading them!

OK, first of all let me say I do not believe any jury tampering happened here. Hypothetically, of course jury tampering either directly or through another person could get a lawyer disbarred. But social media comments wouldn't be considered potential jury-tampering behavior, because the jurors shouldn't be reading them!

Let me say that I'm with you; I don't think there was tampering, but I believe the scenario some are wondering about is how a person (e.g., a mitigation specialist) could send a tweet that seemed to foreshadow the actual verdict. Your basic bootstrap agrument. Then throw in that the juror in question is reported to be of hispanic descent, like said MS, and you've got your gunman on the grassy knoll.

I do agree that it seems there should be a process if it could be shown that a particular juror demonstrated behavior against due deliberation process and thus altered a potential verdict. But I don't know if the groundwork yet exists for ruling in such a manner in AZ law.

About the Alexanders' (anticipated) civil suit against JA.

1. Does she have the right to appear in person during those proceedings?

2. How much latitude does she have (if any) to slime Travis again?

3. Would she be allowed to claim self defense again despite her conviction of premeditated murder?

4. It seems that JA or her family set up a trust to prevent the Alexanders from claiming damages. If it can be proven that the trust was set up specifically for that reason, are the funds in the trust protected after JA loses the civil suit and is ordered to pay restitution?

TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softtaillover
Back