KY KY - Harrodsburg, Mercer Co., UnkFem Early 20s, "danced to death," Oldest Doe on Doe Network, DIED 1840

lightofmine99

♞Ⅸ
Reaction score
I searched several key words and it doesn't appear we have a thread on her, which shocked me. If this is a duplicate or there's a special reason why the forum hasn't allowed this Doe to have a post I will understand its removal.

Dancing Jane Doe, Harrodsburg's Dancing Lady - c.1840
265UFKY.jpg

Overview
  • Date of Discovery: January 1, 1840 **
  • Location of Discovery: Harrodsburg, Mercer County, Kentucky
  • Estimated Date of Death: 1840
  • State of Remains: Unknown
  • Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description
  • Estimated Age: Early 20s
  • Race: Unknown.
  • Height: Unknown.
  • Weight: Unknown.
  • Hair Color: Unknown.
  • Eye Color: Unknown.
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown.
Identifiers
  • Dentals: Not available.
  • Fingerprints: Not available.
  • DNA: Not available.
  • Clothing: Unknown.
  • Jewelry: Unknown.
  • Additional Personal Items: Unknown.
** Most sources state it was in 1840 without any more specific date, so I don't know where New Year's Day came from.

Circumstances
On an unspecified date in 1840, a young woman checked into the Harrodsburg Springs Hotel and registered under the false name of Virginia Stafford. She claimed to be the daughter of a Louisville judge. While no one knew her true identity, they recalled that she was beautiful and that she may have come from New Orleans or Tennessee.

That night, as music played in the ballroom, the young woman came downstairs and began dancing with various partners. The young woman danced and at the end of the night, her final partner realized, that she had died in his arms.

The staff and guests held a funeral for her and she was buried on the hotel property.

According to local lore, a man name Joe Sewell claimed that his estranged second wife, Molly Black, was the young woman who danced herself to death. This was never verified.

Harrodsburg Springs Hotel was in operation in the early 1820s and had its "hey day" in the 1830s and 1840s. In 1853, the property was sold to the U.S. government to be used as a veteran's hospital. The main building burned down in 1856. Subsequent fires in 1864 and in the early 1880s destroyed the remaining buildings.

The grave remains in what is now the Harrodsburg Spring-Young Park. There is a metal marker over her resting place that reads "UNKNOWN - Hallowed and Hushed be the place of the dead. Step Softly. Bow Head." (per Doe Network).

Additional Information
The late Todd Matthews was/is the case worker for the Dancing Lady on Doe Network. A 2021 article about her stated that Matthews was partnering with Dr. Lynne Smelser of Michigan State University to research and identify her. This article includes some information Dr. Smelser gathered during research. The article also mentions they were looking in to the possibility of exhuming the Dancing Lady and sending any extracted DNA to Othram.

The Find a Grave page for the Dancing Lady uses the name "Molly Black Sewell," which is a purported name for her. The Unidentified Wiki lists her as "Virginia Stafford," another pseudonym.

The Dancing Lady does not have a NamUs profile.

Links

I searched several key words and it doesn't appear we have a thread on her, which shocked me. If this is a duplicate or there's a special reason why the forum hasn't allowed this Doe to have a post I will understand its removal.

View attachment 482839

Overview
  • Location of Discovery: Harrodsburg, Mercer County, Kentucky
  • Estimated Date of Death: 1840
  • State of Remains: Unknown
  • Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description
  • Estimated Age: Early 20s
  • Race: Unknown.
  • Height: Unknown.
  • Weight: Unknown.
  • Hair Color: Unknown.
  • Eye Color: Unknown.
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown.
Identifiers
  • Dentals: Not available.
  • Fingerprints: Not available.
  • DNA: Not available.
  • Clothing: Unknown.
  • Jewelry: Unknown.
  • Additional Personal Items: Unknown.
** Most sources state it was in 1840 without any more specific date, so I don't know where New Year's Day came from.

Circumstances
On an unspecified date in 1840, a young woman checked into the Harrodsburg Springs Hotel and registered under the false name of Virginia Stafford. She claimed to be the daughter of a Louisville judge. While no one knew her true identity, they recalled that she was beautiful and that she may have come from New Orleans or Tennessee.

That night, as music played in the ballroom, the young woman came downstairs and began dancing with various partners. The young woman danced and at the end of the night, her final partner realized, that she had died in his arms.

The staff and guests held a funeral for her and she was buried on the hotel property.

According to local lore, a man name Joe Sewell claimed that his estranged second wife, Molly Black, was the young woman who danced herself to death. This was never verified.

Harrodsburg Springs Hotel was in operation in the early 1820s and had its "hey day" in the 1830s and 1840s. In 1853, the property was sold to the U.S. government to be used as a veteran's hospital. The main building burned down in 1856. Subsequent fires in 1864 and in the early 1880s destroyed the remaining buildings.

The grave remains in what is now the Harrodsburg Spring-Young Park. There is a metal marker over her resting place that reads "UNKNOWN - Hallowed and Hushed be the place of the dead. Step Softly. Bow Head." (per Doe Network).

Additional Information
The late Todd Matthews was/is the case worker for the Dancing Lady on Doe Network. A 2021 article about her stated that Matthews was partnering with Dr. Lynne Smelser of Michigan State University to research and identify her. This article includes some information Dr. Smelser gathered during research. The article also mentions they were looking in to the possibility of exhuming the Dancing Lady and sending any extracted DNA to Othram.

The Find a Grave page for the Dancing Lady uses the name "Molly Black Sewell," which is a purported name for her. The Unidentified Wiki lists her as "Virginia Stafford," another pseudonym.

The Dancing Lady does not have a NamUs profile.

Links

wow fascinating!
would love to see any results from Othram

View attachment 482839

Overview

In most of the missing and unidentified databases, if only the year is known, the date defaults to January 1.

There isn't any significance to her not having a thread yet. There's no system to what unidentified and missing people have threads here at Websleuths. Members start threads for the cases they're interested in, moderators start threads for cases that have a lot of interest (like the new threads when an old one starts to get too long), and occasionally (as with Sand Canyon John Doe) an investigative agency will ask us to start working with a case.

I'm glad you started this thread. I had never heard of the mysterious lady before.

One of the sources above (I think Dr. Smelser?) seems confident she was murdered somehow. But, I wonder if this Doe had a heart condition that went undetected until that point, and she had some kind of fatal cardiac event brought on by all the dancing and possibly alcohol.
There's no system to what unidentified and missing people have threads here at Websleuths. Members start threads for the cases they're interested in, moderators start threads for cases that have a lot of interest
Thank you for letting me know. I've lurked for a while and only recently joined but I was just shocked she didn't have a thread yet.

One of the sources above (I think Dr. Smelser?) seems confident she was murdered somehow. But, I wonder if this Doe had a heart condition that went undetected until that point, and she had some kind of fatal cardiac event brought on by all the dancing and possibly alcohol.

Thank you for letting me know. I've lurked for a while and only recently joined but I was just shocked she didn't have a thread yet.

A cardiac event is certainly a plausible explanation. Or an aneurism.

I am familiar with dancing mania and the 1518 Dancing Plague. But, considering the Doe was dancing at a party in the hotel ballroom, I think this is very unlikely. Murder is also unlikely IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spunky55
Back