KY KY - Melanie Flynn, 24, Lexington, 25 Jan 1977

Tip leads to Mercer Co. search in decades-old missing person case

HARRODSBURG, Ky. (WKYT) – Authorities confirmed Friday a tip about the 1977 disappearance of Melanie Flynn led them to search an area along U.S. 68 in Mercer County.

F7553533-6461-4357-A281-6B20DB74B4D2.jpeg
Photo: WKYT/Nick Oliver
Friday’s search marked the second time in two weeks Kentucky State Police have searched the property along the Kentucky River just inside Mercer County.

No new evidence was released today, and investigators have not said what the tip was or why it led them to search the area.

Investigators say Lexington police and the Flynn family have been made aware of the developments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope this search leads to something. If anyone learns of anything, please post it here. I wonder if anyone owns the property in Mercer County that is being checked or is it owned by the county or the commonwealth? I noted the possible involvement of the Lexington Metro Police in this. Does that agency still remain under a cloud as we have come to read about in connection with this case?

Hope this search leads to something. If anyone learns of anything, please post it here. I wonder if anyone owns the property in Mercer County that is being checked or is it owned by the county or the commonwealth? I noted the possible involvement of the Lexington Metro Police in this. Does that agency still remain under a cloud as we have come to read about in connection with this case?

I wish I knew the address of "Triad" - the property owned by Thornton, Canan... As I would love to see how close it is to the current search area.

Lexington police asking public for photos of area where Melanie Flynn may be buried (with clip)

Jul 17, 2019

"HARRODSBURG, Ky. (WKYT) - Lexington police are asking the public for help in the case of Melanie Flynn's disappearance.

Police are asking for historic photos of Murphy's Landing in Mercer County along the Kentucky River. This is the area where investigators believe Flynn may be buried after they received new tips....

Police and state troopers were at the scene Tuesday to get a better feel for the ground. They are using some equipment to scan underground as well. K-9s were also at the scene.

Investigators are asking for photos of the are from the 1950s through the 1970s that may show what buildings and other structures that were in the area...."

Lexington police asking public for photos of area where Melanie Flynn may be buried
D945970E-C016-4C25-B430-762FC2EA6C49.jpeg

So it appears Lexington police are still involved with this matter as well as the Ky. State Police. Please keep the information coming when details come out.

Melanie Flynn: Crews continue to dig for missing Lexington woman near Kentucky River

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Search crews are still searching for a missing Lexington woman who was last seen 42 years ago.

Crews used an excavator to dig holes in hopes of finding Melanie Flynn's remains. (Nick Oliver/WKYT)
Lexington police and Kentucky State Police continue looking in the area of Murphy's Landing in Mercer County after they received two matching tips about the woman's disappearance.

Crews took a different move Thursday by not focusing on digging in one particular area. It's a long process, as they dig in areas picked up by sonar. They also cleared sections out near a wooded area. A cadaver dog was along the side of a road, and crews also brought in an excavator to dig two holes where the dog was, but they were later filled in.

[...]

It seems as though they are turning their attention to a fenced off area on the opposite side of where they have been digging on U.S. 68. No word on what led them here. @WKYT pic.twitter.com/exJeWHro3g

— WKYT Nick Oliver (@WKYTNick) July 18, 2019
Melanie Flynn: Crews continue to dig for missing Lexington woman near Kentucky River

I wish I knew the address of "Triad" - the property owned by Thornton, Canan... As I would love to see how close it is to the current search area.

In the book, The Bluegrass Conspiracy, Herrington Lake and the Ky River are both referred to as the location of Thornton’s Triad Farm. The location is near Nicholasville but closer to the Wilmore and Shakertown area. Mike Kelly later had a farm in that same area, lived there until he died (cancer). The KY River runs through that area, a tributary of the KY River is Dix River which runs into Herrington Lake. No one wants to go down under on that lake, as it’s treacherous—you would likely never be found. When the lake was formed, all was left as it was damned up—trees, undergrowth & Lord knows what.

AFAIK that cloud has lifted. LPD Detective Bizzack worked with Ralph Ross some on Melanie’s case then closed it, saying she was alive and well living in Florida. THAT confounded me as Bizzack had to have known THAT NOT TO BE TRUE! Ross was not happy about the case being closed—for good reason. I always wondered just WHAT Bizzack knew OR if he was pressured by ‘the powers that be’, at that time, to close it down. Bizzack told that to the Flynns, for God’s sake—he lied whether he knew something OR was pressured.

Last edited:
In the book, The Bluegrass Conspiracy, Herrington Lake and the Ky River are both referred to as the location of Thornton’s Triad Farm. The location is near Nicholasville but closer to the Wilmore and Shakertown area. Mike Kelly later had a farm in that same area, lived there until he died (cancer). The KY River runs through that area, a tributary of the KY River is Dix River which runs into Herrington Lake. No one wants to go down under on that lake, as it’s treacherous—you would likely never be found. When the lake was formed, all was left as it was damned up—trees, undergrowth & Lord knows what.

Thank you, msboo!

I have searched for an address many times but haven't found anything. Maybe property records search would give me an address but I don't know if that's public info. Maybe that's something I should check into? I wonder who owns the land now.

It's close but not the same area. Murphy's Landing is off US 68 in Mercer Co heading towards Harrodsburg. Their used to be a restaurant there, on this property called Murphy's Inn (?). I've driven by this a million times, it's around the curve after the Brooklyn bridge.

Thank you, msboo!

I have searched for an address many times but haven't found anything. Maybe property records search would give me an address but I don't know if that's public info. Maybe that's something I should check into? I wonder who owns the land now.
The Triad is near Camp Nelson along the Kentucky river

It might be reminded that after she disappeared, Melanie Flynn's purse was found along the Kentucky River near Camp Nelson.

In terms of property records, I tend to think these would be public record in Kentucky just as they are in other states. Normally. property records may be found by address or by the name of the owner or the business name.

Last edited:
In Jessamine county, 20 miles south of Lexington, near Nicholasville

Lived in Lex for yrs - and travelled throughout the area - so I'm quite familiar with it ALL. Just didn't have those "in the know" take me to the exact spot and say, "Here... This is/was Triad Farm". I've also longed to see a picture of the Triad sign with it's "pitchfork under the I" logo. I really should make a nosey road trip soon. Well, when the weather is cooler!

Lexington area media reported today (Friday) that digging at the Murphy's Landing site will resume on Monday. According to the tip authorities received, the remains may be contained in a septic tank that has been buried there.

I remember years ago a psychic taking them to the Kentucky River because they thought she was under water in a container. This area is rugged with cliffs and places only accessible by water. Probably not a septic tank on the river like that. But a cave in the cliff like Daniel Boone used (true it is a historic site I'm an engineer and had to avoid the site designing a highway over the Kentucky River in Madison and Jessamine Counties
).

Search for Melanie Flynn to be suspended until Monday

Jul 19, 2019

"LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) – A renewed search for a Lexington woman missing for more than 40 years will take a break this weekend.

Lexington police say crews will not be at a dig site today in Mercer County.

Teams have been combing the area near Murphy's Landing for any signs of Melanie Flynn since tips came in earlier this month saying she was buried somewhere on that land....

Police say crews will resume the search on Monday."

Search for Melanie Flynn to be suspended until Monday

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009