LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just breathed a sigh of relief. There is such a fine line between wanting her to be found, and being found in these circumstances.

So I guess BSL didn't give them any clues and they were only out there based on the tip called in by the farmer.

At least we know they ARE getting some leads, and there will be more. One that WILL lead to Mickey.

Respectfully snipped by me.
Nothing about his known actions so far seem "easy" though. Driving to WB to dump the bike, driving to Texas to burn the truck, file a police report, make an insurance claim, and have to get back to Lafayette- that all sounds like some major pains in the butt. He seems to go through a lot of trouble thinking it won't get him caught- and then it draws attention and does just the opposite.

I hope that if this is Mickey, she was killed near where he abducted her. I hate to think of her being restrained in his truck for the entire drive back to his house. That had to be the scariest half hour or so of her life if she was. It terrifies me just thinking about it. Not to mention what he did to her when he got her home. I hope it all happened near where he got her into his truck and happened quickly.

You're right that he doesn't seem to be adverse to work. It seems wrong to say that he has made it harder than it needed to be given the circumstances but he went out of his way so much and so often that it makes no sense. When we take all that into consideration why would he have buried her so close to his home? Was it just cockiness, in a hurry to get rid of her or possibly to keep her near? I can't even begin to wrap my head around the decisions he has made.

With the bike in WB I really assumed she was near and I assumed he burnt the truck because it was the only place she had been so that was the quickest way in his mind to make sure nothing would be left to connect her to him BUT if she is buried so close to his home it would seem likely that he took her to his house that night. I know it hurts to think of her suffering that long but it would provide the best opportunity for finding traces of the attack and making sure he pays. IF she was there in that house I feel certain it too would have been torched soon had he not been arrested.

I just keep going in circles with this. I had felt one way from the beginning, in WB with the bike but this morning's developments has my head spinning with new possibilities.

From KLFY's FB Sheriff Guidroz: The investigation into the possible grave sites is over. Nothing was found.

:what: wow :what:
still hope for a happy ending to this story - keep the faith - bring Mickey home :heartbeat: keep on sleuthing :websleuther:

What are the chances of the pastor paying BSL a visit and trying to convince him to "Do the right thing/confess/repent/pray for forgiveness"? There's gotta be someone who can get some information out of this guy!

I gotta say, for someone to take the time and trouble to drive all the way out to TX to burn a truck yet bury the victim basically around the corner from his home would rank right up there as one of the all time dumbest perps.

Not that I think the guy is any rocket scientist to begin with though.

What are the chances of the pastor paying BSL a visit and trying to convince him to "Do the right thing/confess/repent/pray for forgiveness"? There's gotta be someone who can get some information out of this guy!

You are reading my mind. I have the same thoughts,:banghead:

I don't think he would have any trouble lying to a pastor; his whole going to church of late was probably due to his trying to appeal his sex offender status more than anything else.

On the previous thread (just before the possible grave site info broke) someone was talking about the possibility of using the DP to leverage info from BSL as to where he buried MS (or disposed of her body)...like saying that it would be taken off the table in exchange for info. The poster asked if this has ever worked before? The answer is 'yes'...Gary Michael Hilton lead police to the remains of Meredith Emerson in exchange for life in prison rather than DP in GA.

I'm still praying he has Mickey tied-up some place and she will be found alive. This needs to talk to LE and tell them where she is already so the family can know!

I don't think he would have any trouble lying to a pastor; his whole going to church of late was probably due to his trying to appeal his sex offender status more than anything else.

I don't think that his pastor, his mother, his gf or even his daughter (not that I in any way support trying to use a child in that way) could get BL to tell the truth. Any statements he ever makes will be completely self-serving. I think that any attempts to beg him to tell the truth or to help the family will only serve to flatter his ego.

On the previous thread (just before the possible grave site info broke) someone was talking about the possibility of using the DP to leverage info from BSL as to where he buried MS (or disposed of her body)...like saying that it would be taken off the table in exchange for info. The poster asked if this has ever worked before? The answer is 'yes'...Gary Michael Hilton lead police to the remains of Meredith Emerson in exchange for life in prison rather than DP in GA.

That does work sometimes but from what I gathered from the Mr. Shunick interview he said he was not gonna bargain for a body. I took that as they will seek the DP and are not willing to negotiate for a location of remains- JMO. I will try to find a link to that interview b/c my interpretation of what was said may be different than others.

It is very inspiring to know that the persistence and involvement by the community & LE, to locate and bring Mickey Schunick home, is still present after almost two months..

A question that has to be asked is, 'why would Brandon Scott Lavergne, relocate and destroy other incriminating evidence(DWT), in Texas, while leaving the incriminating evidence of her remains behind to be found'?

That does work sometimes but from what I gathered from the Mr. Shunick interview he said he was not gonna bargain for a body. I took that as they will seek the DP and are not willing to negotiate for a location of remains- JMO. I will try to find a link to that interview b/c my interpretation of what was said may be different than others.

Ahhh- Here's the quote- "If she is still alive out there, I'd bargain with [Lavergne]," said Shunick. "As far as I'm concerned, he can go [free] if it'd bring my daughter back, but if he's buried the body out there, I don't want to bargain for that."

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

I'm still praying he has Mickey tied-up some place and she will be found alive. This needs to talk to LE and tell them where she is already so the family can know!

If she comes home alive, you will see the biggest party in Lafayette since Lombardi Gras when the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV and Mardi Gras came a week later.

Just as an aside, the decision to negotiate for a location of remains would not rest with the Shunicks. While LE may and would probably consult with the family before taking that route, the decision would ultimately rest with LE and the DA's office. JMO

If somehow Mickey is alive, what would be a deal that LE and the Shunicks would accept?

Maybe a 20-year sentence or something for her safe return?

Remember that if she is alive somewhere, they won't be able to prove murder beyond a reasonable doubt.... and if he can tell where she is (maybe with an accomplice or even sold for the sex trade - it IS big in Baton Rouge - then he's looking at kidnapping plus a bunch of other charges, but not murder.

Right, there have been others, too.
I mentioned a few days ago Joel Courtney leading police to Brooke in exchange for a life sentence in another state. He wanted to spend it in NM rather than OR, because he had children there. This all happened 5 years after Brooke disappeared, though.
I think a poster just brought up John Gardner as well. Did he not give up Amber's site in some exchange?
After Mickey's father was on NG the other night, I am not sure what her family would agree to...would they agree to an exchange? I believe her father said he might only if Mickey is still alive.
I imagine if it happens in this case, it might take a while.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member