LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been my understanding, since someone on here called LE to confirm, the truck in front of Circle K is the same truck. No bed cover. Chrome gas cover. It IS the truck in question. The truck on University is a completely separate truck. Bed cover. No chrome gas cover. LE has spoken with driver.

One person called one LEO who said it was the same truck. Not all LE is informed. I had some telling me they found the body and then later on found out it was a log.......DAYS after that incident occured. Theyre not all in the field and not all informed and a lot are just as gossipy as the rest of the public. LE says its the same truck in their original press release so we have to just go with that. But if you don't think it is....call in any Chevy Z71 with a chrome gas cap. Problem solved

Edit: So for all who think the truck pics in front of circle K are the same truck, that's fine. Simply keep an eye out for Chevy Z71's with a chrome gas cap.

I mostly lurk here, and very occasionally post. I've been reading this thread almost from the beginning. I've been pretty cynical about a lot of "leads" and possibilities, but the one thing that caught my eye more than any other is the May 9th post on Bike Lafayette about Brettly's bike. I know many don't want to think there's any connection between his bike being stolen and Mickey's disappearance. But that is one of the strangest things I've read since following Mickey's case. Something feels very "off" about it. My husband read it and agrees. It's brought me back to thinking that Mickey may have been abducted by someone she knew, that she went willingly because it was someone she trusted.

My thought along that line was perhaps a stable worker who was jealous of BW hanging with MS all the time stole his bike and then ditched it near his house just to see how close he could go to the house and grab MS without anyone seeing. If they followed her for a while they knew her routes. They may have pulled up by her, convinced her to get in (after all she needed to get home for graduation in the AM) and then popped her with an injection of Kentamine that may have been laying around the stables for the horses.

The initial vehicle was the one traveling away from Mickey.

That's not what I got from the updates. Update V has pic 1 and pic 2 of a white truck. We know they ruled out pic 1 truck and they continue to search for pic 2 truck.

Updat IV also shows a white truck. It does not have a bed cover and does have the chrome gas cover. This truck cannot be the same truck as pic 1 in update V. They are clearly very different.

Hate to go on about it and really hate to disagree with anyone but whether or not it is the same truck makes a huge difference in this case.

I will agree to disagree until proven otherwise ;)

That's not what I got from the updates. Update V has pic 1 and pic 2 of a white truck. We know they ruled out pic 1 truck and they continue to search for pic 2 truck.

Updat IV also shows a white truck. It does not have a bed cover and does have the chrome gas cover. This truck cannot be the same truck as pic 1 in update V. They are clearly very different.

Hate to go on about it and really hate to disagree with anyone but whether or not it is the same truck makes a huge difference in this case.

Like I said, if you think the circle K trucks are the same truck that's perfectly fine. Just look for a Chevy Z71 with a chrome gas cover. It's still a needle in a haystack

I had never heard about this case so I looked it up. Very scary and sad.

Ms. Wood was on leave from her doctoral studies and visiting her family in Ottawa in the summer of 2003. She was riding her bicycle along a path beside the Rockcliffe Parkway in the Green's Creek area when she was last seen on August 6, 2003.

News of her disappearance was reported widely in Canada, and the entire city of Ottawa rallied around a search effort that involved hundreds of volunteers, the police, and the military. Her body was found in the woods around Green's Creek on August 11, 2003.

Manhunt

Ottawa police received many tips that a man on a bicycle was seen luring women into the woods along the path where Ms. Wood had travelled. A composite sketch of the murder suspect was compiled soon thereafter, and was widely distributed across Canada.

Over two years after the murder, on October 20, 2005, police arrested Chris Myers, a 25-year old man, who had been previously charged with assaults in North Bay, Ontario. Staff Sgt. Randy Wisker led the investigation into Ms. Wood's murder, and relied on a loose collection of tips prior to the arrest.

Ardeth Wood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speaking of cases that remind us of this case.....

With all the talk of Lauren Spierer in this case, I am surprised that the Jill Behrman case has not been brought up, as it has a lot of similarities too and is out of Bloomington like Lauren's. Not to mention it is a very interesting case with a controversial outcome.

Jill was an active cyclist who went missing on May 31, 2000 during a bike ride. Three days later, her bike was found (undamaged) in a field near her favorite route. A women came forward and stated that she and two others had hit Jill while being intoxicated, stabbed her and dumped her body in a creek. She gave the location of Jill's body and passed a polygraph. Of the two others she implicated, one had a long history of violence against women. However, though the police found a knife and plastic sheeting she mentioned they used, they did not find her body at that time. The suspect later recanted. In March 2003, Jill's body was found by a hunter in a field. She had been shot. Another man, John Myer's was later convicted in a purely circumstantial and controversial case for her murder. The police theory was that John Myers was angry over a break up with his girlfriend, so he abducted Jill and murdered her. Some believe that the original suspects are the true culprits and that Myers is innocent.

Very Interesting case.

http://www.bloomingpedia.org/wiki/Jill_Behrman
http://eattheapplefromthetree.blogspot.com/

She also has a thread here.

Sorry if this was said already, but are the searches ending because they are pretty certain they're gonna catch the bad guys and find Mickey (and they're just saying they dont have any more places to search to trick the perps) OR are they ending because they really don't have anymore areas to look?
I knew they would have to stop searching sometime but they were saying they wouldn't stop until she is found, so it makes me wonder if this is all a plan (I hope it is)!

Edit: well nvm now that I think about it, it's pretty pointless to ask because i'm sure no one would know, but what do yall think

But also remember, due to the angle of the truck on university and the reflection on the side of the truck, you cant really tell if theres a chrome gas cap. You can't even really make out the door handles. Also keep in mind, these are pictures. LE has the actual video and they say it's the same truck

The thing I find odd about BW's bike being stolen is that it was found.
Bikes are stolen all the time and I have never heard of one being found, I am sure someone somewhere has found their stolen bike but that would be rare. Anyway, if BW's bike was stolen by people who steal bikes to sell them, it would not be found.
Just my thoughts...

I've never seen ID Discovery. Is that a Discovery Channel show about missing persons?

Artis it is on the Discovery channel, as soon as I can remember the general title of the show, I'l post for you.

ETA: can probably get specifics on channel and times at website for Investigation Discovery (I haven't been there, but sure there is one)

In no particular order or importance but ALL are missing adult/kid cases I've followed here on WS..Many are not included simply because I can't recall their names at the moment as horrible as that sounds :( And ALL are presumed dead/murdered & have not been found..Chances are good they never will be..Some of the perps have been ID'd but not arrested..Some have been convicted & are in prison..Most of the perps are still walking the streets & will never be caught..It's sad, depressing, unfair, & frustrating all the way around..For these poor souls, their families, LE, & even strangers like us who simply want justice for these innocent victims & some kind of closure for their loved ones..I fear MS will stay on this 'missing' list but like the rest she will never be forgotten.

N. Holloway
S. Powell
H. Dunn
H. Cummings
M. Parker
S. Lamar
A. Reynolds
I. Celis
K. Bordeaux
S. Metawala
B. Jones
A. Lunsford
R. Anderson
V. Stewart
P. Johnson
M. McCann
K. Horman
H. Campbell
J. Keese
T. Ocasio
B. Drexel
T. Duckett

eta..My intention is not to be negative, just realistic..<sigh>

Was pleased to see the fairly large article in the Baton Rouge Advocate this am about Mickey. Hopefully this case won't lose steam!

Speaking of cases that remind us of this case.....

With all the talk of Lauren Spierer in this case, I am surprised that the Jill Behrman case has not been brought up, as it has a lot of similarities too and is out of Bloomington like Lauren's. Not to mention it is a very interesting case with a controversial outcome.

Jill was an active cyclist who went missing on May 31, 2000 during a bike ride. Three days later, her bike was found (undamaged) in a field near her favorite route. A women came forward and stated that she and two others had hit Jill while being intoxicated, stabbed her and dumped her body in a creek. She gave the location of Jill's body and passed a polygraph. Of the two others she implicated, one had a long history of violence against women. However, though the police found a knife and plastic sheeting she mentioned they used, they did not find her body at that time. The suspect later recanted. In March 2003, Jill's body was found by a hunter in a field. She had been shot. Another man, John Myer's was later convicted in a purely circumstantial and controversial case for her murder. The police theory was that John Myers was angry over a break up with his girlfriend, so he abducted Jill and murdered her. Some believe that the original suspects are the true culprits and that Myers is innocent.

Very Interesting case.

http://www.bloomingpedia.org/wiki/Jill_Behrman
http://eattheapplefromthetree.blogspot.com/

She also has a thread here.

Jill's name was brought up umpteen threads ago. I agree with you that it's a similar case and I remember it as well.

Also, not that I think this is related at all to Mickey's case, but a week ago another woman (Tara Gean Hawkins) riding her bicycle disappeared in FL. We have a thread for her:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175072"]FL FL - Tara Gean Hawkins - 33 years old - 01 June 2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Dont shoot at me...Im just droppin off a link for ya'll.
Hesitant to even poke my head in here lately.

http:///viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981385247

It's my understanding that 2&3 on your list are the same truck.

Very frustrating to still be talking about what truck is what after all these threads.

This is frustrating the hell out of me!! How can people believe that the truck on University with bedcover is the same truck that is in the left turn lane on St. Landry?!?!! The truck on St. Landry has a chrome gas cover and BLACK or CHROME door handles, while the truck on University obviously does not! If anyone can show me where the handles and/or gas cover are anything other than white on the University truck, I would be willing to change my mind. I don't care what LE tells me (and if I remember correctly, LE told Artis that both trucks on St. Landry are the SAME - not sure where this other info came from since LE has not confirmed any such thing with MSM) I am going to trust what I see with my own eyes.

Was pleased to see the fairly large article in the Baton Rouge Advocate this am about Mickey. Hopefully this case won't lose steam!

It's been like one long, grueling day, Shunick's mother, Nancy Ann Rowe, said Friday at Blackham Coliseum, which serves as headquarters for the volunteer search effort.

For the past three weeks, the Shunick family has awoke each morning thinking and hoping that the new day would bring news of Mickey's safe return, or that some big break in the case would emerge, Nancy Rowe said.

"By about 7 o'clock at night we're pretty low," the mother said.

more here: http://theadvocate.com/home/3048148-125/sister-we-need-to-keep

Sorry if this was said already, but are the searches ending because they are pretty certain they're gonna catch the bad guys and find Mickey (and they're just saying they dont have any more places to search to trick the perps) OR are they ending because they really don't have anymore areas to look?
I knew they would have to stop searching sometime but they were saying they wouldn't stop until she is found, so it makes me wonder if this is all a plan (I hope it is)!

Edit: well nvm now that I think about it, it's pretty pointless to ask because i'm sure no one would know, but what do yall think

I think it's a combination of factors. Really, almost all searchable ground in the area has been covered, (that is, public property and private property that has been allowed to be searched) and without specific clues pointing to another area, what do you do? The number of volunteers has dwindled. People have taken off work and now they have to go back. HQ cannot be set up at Blackham forever--they have events scheduled there. It does not mean that everyone is giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth