LA - Sheryl Turner, 19, New Iberia, torso found in Ouachita River, 19 Jan 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
KADN) — Remains found in Catahoula Parish near the end of January have been identified as a New Iberia young woman reported missing just a couple of days into the new year.

The dismembered body of Sheryl Turner, 19, on New Iberia, was found in the Ouachita River. Family members said only her torso was located.

Relatives said Turner was reported missing on January 3. Investigators said her body was found on January 24 but was not positively identified until Friday, Feb. 23.

They added the medical examiner estimates she died on January 19. The coroner said her head and limbs were deliberately removed.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard this girl was missing until I saw the sad news yesterday. I'll add link to other media sources

Timeline:
Dec 31 - Sheryl Turner has a fight with her mom
Jan 3 - Family reports her missing
Jan 19 - Estimated Time of death
Jan 24 - Torso found in Ouchita River
Feb 23 - Torso Positively IDd as Sheryl Turner

EXCLUSIVE: Ouachita River victim identified, family speaks out for the first time
“She told me, ‘Imma see you, and I love you,’ and that’s the last time I saw my daughter.”

By: Anna FischerPosted at 9:59 PM, Feb 26, 2024 and last updated 2:36 PM, Feb 27, 2024
IBERIA PARISH, La. — “She told me, ‘Imma see you, and I love you,’ and that’s the last time I saw my daughter,” said Michael Turner.

“Sheryl…I can’t even—I don’t even know how to describe how she was growing up," said Sherry Turner.

Younger by two minutes, she says her older sister Sheryl was always the outgoing one of the family.

“Sheryl was just outspoken," she continued. "Once she had enough, she gonna say how she feel.”

According to the family, Sheryl and her mother had gotten into an argument on December 31, 2023.

“She put the key in the mailbox, packed up all her clothes and…left,” explained Sherry, who also added that 'outbursts' such as this were not uncommon for Sheryl to have.

It wasn't until the family lost contact with Sheryl, that they say they had reached out to New Iberia Police (NIPD).

“It wasn’t like her for all those days to not even message us, nothing.”

Recent Stories from katc.com

According to the Turner family, they filed a missing persons report with the NIPD on January 3; but after that, they received 'radio silence' from the department.

“Everything died down," said Michael, "it got quiet.”

On January 24, Sherry says she was contacted by a detective from Catahoula Parish.

“He told me he was like, ‘I don’t wanna [alarm] you, I don’t want you to be worried but…we found a body,” said Sherry.

It was on that day that a fisherman had reportedly seen a body floating in the water of the Ouachita River. After further investigation from Parish Forensics in Broussard, the remains found were a human torso with the extremities and head removed.

“I’m just reading the description of how they found it," said Sherry, "then when I read 'light-skinned female' and then the body weight I was like, ‘Wow, that sounds so much like Sheryl.' Friday came, I got up and…the whole day… everybody felt off, the whole day.”

Sherry and her parents were later asked to submit DNA testing to local detectives, in order to cross-reference with the victim's.

On Friday, Feb. 23, the family says a detective from Catahoula visited them at their New Iberia home.

“My mom was like 'So what’s the results?' And the minute he put his head down, he said ‘I’m sorry, but it was a 100% match, and confirmation that it’s your sister.”

On that day, Sheryl Turner was identified as the victim found in the Ouachita River.

“Throughout the world," said Michael, "people don’t know what their kids are doing, they don’t pay attention; but they need to start paying attention.”

This is an open and ongoing investigation. We will update you as things unfold

To donate to the Turner family's , click here.

It looks like the local sheriff's department didn't share her story and media didn't pick it up until her body was found.

This article gives a little background on who she may have left with and where she planned to go.

Her twin sister has been actively searching for and advocating for her. Reportedly, she left a note at home reporting a possible return in March and there is a video she sent on the day she left that had family concerned.

Praying this young victim gets justice.

Arrest made.

April 24, 2024

CATAHOULA PARISH, La. (KNOE) - The Catahoula Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested Anthony Pierce Holland, Jr., 29, of West Monroe in connection to the human remains found in the Ouachita River in January 2024. The remains were later identified as missing New Iberia 19-year-old Sheryl Turner.

On April 19, 2024, detectives of the West Monroe Police Department were assigned to the homicide investigation. During the investigation, authorities learned that the victim engaged in a relationship with Anthony Pierce Holland Jr. of West Monroe, La. The victim and Holland exchanged messages that mentioned Holland picking up the victim from New Iberia.

According to court documents, detectives learned that Holland contacted the victim on Jan. 1, 2024, and picked her up from her mother’s residence in a black 2023 Toyota Corolla. Holland then returned to Ouachita Parish with the victim.

Phone records show the victim’s phone stopped transmitting via TextNow on Jan. 2, 2024, at 11:26 p.m. The Catahoula Parish Sheriff’s Office learned that the victim’s phone was connected to wifi near Holland’s home on Trenton Street in West Monroe.

During the investigation, Holland’s vehicle was seen on traffic cameras in an area near the location where the body was found four days before the discovery of the victim’s remains. According to court documents, medical examiners confirmed that the duration of time in which the remains were in the river was consistent with the timeframe when Holland’s vehicle was seen on the traffic cameras.

The autopsy report indicated that the victim was allegedly sexually assaulted by Holland and her neck was broken. On April 23, 2024, Holland was located by West Monroe Police and taken into custody for an interview. :(

Sheryl Turner

In her obituary, Turner was remembered as "a shining light to all who knew her, with a kind and loving personality that radiated through her beautiful smile and touched the hearts of those around her." ❤️

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back