Lies Exposed: discuss the cross exam of Arias

On one of the threads someone added another really good one, but now I can't find it - and I can't remember what it was!

Was it that she actually doesn't always order the same beverage at Starbucks?

bringing over minor4th's list from the other page

Oh, nice. Hard for me to keep track of all the lies. Another that comes to mind: she had to admit she was receiving money from Travis, and in fact, he was her employer, and she liked it that way--she hadn't even tried to find another source of income.

And no, she didn't "always order the same thing at Starbucks." She forgot she had claimed she ordered latte.

Oh, nice. Hard for me to keep track of all the lies. Another that comes to mind: she had to admit she was receiving money from Travis, and in fact, he was her employer, and she liked it that way--she hadn't even tried to find another source of income.

And no, she didn't "always order the same thing at Starbucks." She forgot she had claimed she ordered latte.
First she had a strawberry frap, then she had a latte. When JM comments that she has an incredible memory for what kind of coffee she orders, she says it's because she always orders the same thing..

Here are all the text messages shown from 1/21-1/22.

1/21 5:38pm ja i can't remember - am i coming in for u on wed 10:30?
1/21 6:41pm ja can we trade cars before fhe?
1/21 7:19pm ja nevermind. one of the stores i need to go to closes at 8pm. i'll just go tomorrow.
1/21 7:24pm ta i got a ride from some peeps in the ward now you can just go get it. let me know when you made the exchange.
1/21 7:25pm ja i'm almost asleep. we'll see. zzz...
1/21 7:27pm ta you obviously don't need it that bad. i got a ride so you can could go get the car. now your going to sleep?
1/21 7:29pm ja i fell asleep and a phone call woke me up. that's when i sent you the text.
1/21 7:36pm ja i have a really bad headache. i can barely move.
1/21 9:11pm ta alright get it tomorrow then.
1/21 9:16pm ja can u talk right now?
1/21 9:17pm ta not right now
1/22 11:33am ja how long?
1/22 11:50am ta did you use my phone this morning without asking?
1/22 11:52am ja i only used it after i asked in the office. why?
1/22 12:03pm ja why?
1/22 12:03pm ta nothing
1/22 12:20pm ja did you make the deposit?
1/22 12:22pm ta yes
1/22 ?????pm ja thank you! i'll make it up to u soon.
1/22 3:36pm ja i'm going to need a ride! i'm off at 4pm. txt me.
1/22 4:04pm ja scratch that. they're keeping me til 5pm! =( can u pick me up then? the lunch offer from my vmail still stands.
1/22 4:08pm ta sure
1/22 4:39pm ja i'm almost off! yea! are u eating? if so, just sit at the counter.

And here are phone call times:
3:53pm ja called ta
4:09pm ja called ta
4:29pm ta called ja
4:53pm ja called ta
4:54pm ta called ja
5:11pm ta called ja
5:20pm ta called ja
5:48pm ta called ja
5:53pm ja called ta
7:11pm last call from ta to anybody

I think all that plus the journal entry of 1/24 proves she lied about the pedophilia. The journal entry by itself proves she lied about the finger.

10. Getting her nails done in Salinas (?) -- it looks like Juan is going to produce some evidence that she got her hair dyed there (that's where we ended)

I was thinking that and that if she had a manicure they would know if her finger was broken / bent at that time. :great:

bringing over minor4th's list from the other page

Ok, so can y'all help me list all the lies that were exposed today?

Here's what I remember:

1. Her finger wasn't really hurt by Travis
2. The "pedophile" confrontation really didn't happen on Jan 21 (didn't happen at all)
3. Travis wasn't barraging her with phone calls after on the alleged ped confrontation day
4. Exchanging cars didn't happen on the day she said it did
5. Matt was not really her boyfriend when she stalked his new girlfriend
6. She omitted information about her pre-murder trip through California -- she spent the night with Matt on June 2
7. She tried to influence witness testimony through coded messages, and apparently lied to her attorneys
8. She enjoyed the sex adventures, contrary to her prior testimony
9. She told her DV expert Travis was looking at pedo pics on the computer and changed her story after she found out there was no computer evidence

What else?

I don't think JM did that well on this with his initial questioning. The photo of her hand didn't prove much since a bent finger could look like that in the position shown, where all fingers were curled a bit. And he misstated Ryan's testimony. Ryan didn't specify left or right hand, he just said he saw bandaids on a finger or two. I think the journal entry of "nothing noteworthy" is more convincing. Even if she was going by a policy of not writing anything bad about TA, she wouldn't have used that phrase. And JM did bring out that she is willing to talk bad about her family to Travis. So, it's doubtful she really has this policy.

2. The "pedophile" confrontation really didn't happen on Jan 21 (didn't happen at all)
Yes.

3. Travis wasn't barraging her with phone calls after on the alleged ped
Yes. But again JM misstated a fact. He kept referring to a text from 11:33am on 1/22 as though it were 11:33pm on 1/21.

She didn't make a claim about which day and JM made it all too confusing with his questions. I still have no idea who was driving what car and why they would be exchanging them in the first place. The texts did imply any exchange did happen on 1/22. Maybe there was earlier testimony about this?

She said the same as she had said on direct. He was living in a different town at the time, but they were both still a couple. JM did show her longtime pattern of proactive confrontation over jealousy.

6. She omitted information about her pre-murder trip through California -- she spent the night with Matt on June 2
I saw someone on TV say this too, but no, she had said on direct that she stayed with Matt that night. JM is apparently though going to bring out more about the nail salon. (This one may be a big blunder on her part for ever mentioning this, since there is no receipt.)

7. She tried to influence witness testimony through coded messages, and apparently lied to her attorneys
Yes. This is very damning.

Not exactly. She could be enjoying the sex and attention from TA without particularly enjoying the specifics like the tootsie pop.

9. She told her DV expert Travis was looking at pedo pics on the computer and changed her story after she found out there was no computer evidence
Yes, that's the implication.

It would interesting if on rebuttal JM called to the stand these people like Bianca, etc. to see how they remember things.

Was it that she actually doesn't always order the same beverage at Starbucks?

No, but I just remembered what it was -- it was the fact that Jodi did not really loan money to Travis in January 2008; Travis loaned money to her.

I don't think JM did that well on this with his initial questioning. The photo of her hand didn't prove much since a bent finger could look like that in the position shown, where all fingers were curled a bit. And he misstated Ryan's testimony. Ryan didn't specify left or right hand, he just said he saw bandaids on a finger or two. I think the journal entry of "nothing noteworthy" is more convincing. Even if she was going by a policy of not writing anything bad about TA, she wouldn't have used that phrase. And JM did bring out that she is willing to talk bad about her family to Travis. So, it's doubtful she really has this policy.

Yes.

Yes. But again JM misstated a fact. He kept referring to a text from 11:33am on 1/22 as though it were 11:33pm on 1/21.

She didn't make a claim about which day and JM made it all too confusing with his questions. I still have no idea who was driving what car and why they would be exchanging them in the first place. The texts did imply any exchange did happen on 1/22. Maybe there was earlier testimony about this?

She said the same as she had said on direct. He was living in a different town at the time, but they were both still a couple. JM did show her longtime pattern of proactive confrontation over jealousy.

I saw someone on TV say this too, but no, she had said on direct that she stayed with Matt that night. JM is apparently though going to bring out more about the nail salon. (This one may be a big blunder on her part for ever mentioning this, since there is no receipt.)

Not exactly. She could be enjoying the sex and attention from TA without particularly enjoying the specifics like the tootsie pop.

I rewatched the testimony, and I actually think Jodi was right on this one, or at least Juan failed to establish that the car exchange took place earlier or that Travis was without a car on Jan 21 or 22, whichever day they were talking about.

Yes.

She did admit that Matt did not consider them in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship at the time, even though Jodi claimed that or thought that they still were in that kind of relationship. I think this is sufficient to establish the lie that Jodi claimed they were still in a monogamous dating relationship when she stalked and confronted the new girlfriend

Yes.

I think Juan established that Jodi enjoyed the experiences by reference to her diary entries about it - the journal entries specifically referenced naughty fantasies (i.e. sex), and not attention from Travis. I believe the effectively pointed out the difference between what Jodi said about it at the time, compared to the manner that she testified about it.

About the sex: that was a silly statement for her to make about the "attention". Sounds to me they were bumping like bunnies so the attention is the sex. She thought it was cute to try to make a distinction without a difference.

I rewatched the testimony, and I actually think Jodi was right on this one, or at least Juan failed to establish that the car exchange took place earlier or that Travis was without a car on Jan 21 or 22, whichever day they were talking about.

Not exactly - on direct she was very matter of fact on this. Not even a moments; hesitation rattling out all the details on direct - I saw it again today (not from my memory) - she had lots of detail. And she lies, lies, lies.

When she's giving her unrehearsed (ahem) testimony to Nurmi, she had no trouble remembering. Not only that she was driving Travis' car on the 21st, but that he insisted she switch cars back with him that afternoon BECAUSE he was going to FHE that evening. She was too "angry and upset' (her words) and developed a migraine,from crying all afternoon, had to turn off her phone to ignore his many, many calls, and voicemails - so she would not be home when he surely followed her home, she went to the visitor center. Did he call her there? She had no landline in her home, and her phone was off - where did the calls go?

So she was fibbing when she said she didn't know what car she had or IF Travis went to FHE, or when it started - or she was fibbing on direct - both can't be true.

By Jodi's account of 'that day', she
-Worked a full shift (between 4 & 6 hours, but was never there at opening, so not too early)
-Went over to Travis' (who hoped she would stop by at any time -he totally needed her help to move Christmas decorations)
-Helped him bring all his boxes to the attic (does he even have an attic, I wonder?), spent time 'hangin out' with him afterwards
-Waited for Travis to go to attic for porcelain angel, accepted the gift of the porcelain angel, as it was sweet.
-Didn't exchange cars, even though it was important to him (no pedestrian matter to Travis).
-Drove partially home, remembered she left porcelain angel
-Drove back to Travis' to retrieve angel, because she knew he would tease her, and it was important to him.
-Caught Travis in a horrifying act (he must have pulled out his underwear boy photos right away, and started in immediately - she must have missed those while cleaning the back of his closet)
-Remembered to carefully put down the 'porcelain angel' despite her shock and horror at what she saw (no one can ever ask her to see it)
-Ran down the stairs, through the garage, out to car, sick to her stomach and weeping.
-Still didn't exchange cars, kept his, even though he's horrid, she knows he needs it that night, and it's important to him.
-Drove home, threw up and cried so much she became ill with migraine
-Left her home sick as she was, so she wouldn't have to see him when he showed up at her house (because she turned off her phone, has no landline, and he's desperate to speak to her)
-Drove around aimlessly in her shock and sickness, eventually went to a church center.
All before sunset- she was home before FHE, and asleep - by 7ish? By which time he's gotten a ride to FHE (he must have been waiting at her house before that) - and gotten past it enough to go to a Family Home Evening (I'm sure no children ever took part in that - families never have kids)

And somewhere in there she summoned the strength to call & text him, text him about calling her, agree to go to his home, offer him lunch the next day (a pervert that made her vomit), and arrange to borrow money from him that he would deposit for her -to ease his pain?

I wish my afternoons were that long - and my migraines went away so quickly. Maybe afternoon is longer in Arizona? Or maybe JM yelled, scrambled her brain and confused her. I hope he makes it clear to the jury.

I found it interesting that when she was reading the messages that SHE wrote in the magazine she sounded like she was struggling to read the words, as if they were not clear. I could see them fine. She sounded like someone learning to read that had to sound out the syllables. I thought that was funny for someone with such a vast vocabulary.

Once all her lies are exposed, I can not wait for Tavis' sister, (the cop who's been taking notes during the trial) to rip JA a new one when the family gets to address the accused. If JA thinks her brain is scrambled from the prosecutor's words, she hasn't seen nothing yet. I think the family is going to cut her holier than thou self more deeply than she cut their brother with that knife. Not only did she kill him in a cruel fashion, she also tried to kill his spirit and his memory with her words in court. JA, your lies are coming back to haunt you over and over.

There was something about not talking to her parents about TA ...then Juan questioned her about talking to her father about TA ...i think she had written it in her diary.

When questioned by Juan she first said she was not sneaking around TA's home...when further questioned she said she had been in his back yard and looked thru the window and saw TA with another woman on the couch.

The main lie for me was she said she didn't know if TA was deceased when she was driving away. With his arteries cut, 27-29 stabs and a gunshot to the head...he was deceased before she started the laundry. He had passed before she went downstairs.

Not exactly - on direct she was very matter of fact on this. Not even a moments; hesitation rattling out all the details on direct - I saw it again today (not from my memory) - she had lots of detail. And she lies, lies, lies.

When she's giving her unrehearsed (ahem) testimony to Nurmi, she had no trouble remembering. Not only that she was driving Travis' car on the 21st, but that he insisted she switch cars back with him that afternoon BECAUSE he was going to FHE that evening. She was too "angry and upset' (her words) and developed a migraine,from crying all afternoon, had to turn off her phone to ignore his many, many calls, and voicemails - so she would not be home when he surely followed her home, she went to the visitor center. Did he call her there? She had no landline in her home, and her phone was off - where did the calls go?

So she was fibbing when she said she didn't know what car she had or IF Travis went to FHE, or when it started - or she was fibbing on direct - both can't be true.

-Worked a full shift (between 4 & 6 hours, but was never there at opening, so not too early)
-Went over to Travis' (who hoped she would stop by at any time -he totally needed her help to move Christmas decorations)
-Helped him bring all his boxes to the attic (does he even have an attic, I wonder?), spent time 'hangin out' with him afterwards
-Waited for Travis to go to attic for porcelain angel, accepted the gift of the porcelain angel, as it was sweet.
-Didn't exchange cars, even though it was important to him (no pedestrian matter to Travis).
-Drove partially home, remembered she left porcelain angel
-Drove back to Travis' to retrieve angel, because she knew he would tease her, and it was important to him.
-Caught Travis in a horrifying act (he must have pulled out his underwear boy photos right away, and started in immediately - she must have missed those while cleaning the back of his closet)
-Remembered to carefully put down the 'porcelain angel' despite her shock and horror at what she saw (no one can ever ask her to see it)
-Ran down the stairs, through the garage, out to car, sick to her stomach and weeping.
-Still didn't exchange cars, kept his, even though he's horrid, she knows he needs it that night, and it's important to him.
-Drove home, threw up and cried so much she became ill with migraine
-Left her home sick as she was, so she wouldn't have to see him when he showed up at her house (because she turned off her phone, has no landline, and he's desperate to speak to her)
-Drove around aimlessly in her shock and sickness, eventually went to a church center.
All before sunset- she was home before FHE, and asleep - by 7ish? By which time he's gotten a ride to FHE (he must have been waiting at her house before that) - and gotten past it enough to go to a Family Home Evening (I'm sure no children ever took part in that - families never have kids)

And somewhere in there she summoned the strength to call & text him, text him about calling her, agree to go to his home, offer him lunch the next day (a pervert that made her vomit), and arrange to borrow money from him that he would deposit for her -to ease his pain?

I wish my afternoons were that long - and my migraines went away so quickly. Maybe afternoon is longer in Arizona? Or maybe JM yelled, scrambled her brain and confused her. I hope he makes it clear to the jury.

That was an excellent explanation. I did not remember her prior testimony about that day nearly as well as you summarized it.

I just watched her direct on this too, and that struck me as well. If they needed to exchange cars, why didn't they do it when she first came to help him move boxes? She left the house with him knowing, she said bye. They would have done it then if they needed to. She screwed up on her story. It looks like to formulate this tale, she did go over text messages from the day, which mentioned an exchange (and a headache, which she used), but she was sloppy in how she used that info.

Another problem for her is, although she was clear on direct that she was driving his car, the text messages from that day imply she was driving her own car and wanted to use TA's. He says, "you obviously don't need it that bad. i got a ride so you can could go get the car. now your going to sleep?" Like he was giving up using his own car, so she could take it. (She said on direct he would never use her car to go to FHE.)

JM needs to make this all clearer at some point.

I noticed something else on the direct. She said the kicking incident was sparked after he asked to borrow $200 from her and she said no. Called her selfish and whatnot. Yet, the text messages from that same day showed her asking for him to deposit some money for her!

This is too easy, almost. The DT should be ashamed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back