Lloyd Welch is Person of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father is a retired Montgomery County Police officer. I mailed him copies of the announcement and background info (he's not big on the Internet) when Welch was named a POI. He had searched dumpsters in the area in the early days of the case. He will be very happy, as will I, if this week's searches lead to a resolution in this case.

They are searching for the Lyon sisters here in our neighborhood. I was there today, spoke to reporters and watched the search and rescue team go in and out of the woods.

Where is Richard to throw cold-water on the Welch theory when we need him?

"Remains Found" on one news image, not even the text could be
1) a mistake by the one news source
2) true reports that remains were actually found, but the area has been farmed by white/European farmers for three centuries, so the remains could be of some farmer's child. Child mortality was very high until recently.
3) adult remains.

I am not an expert or even an amateur on good police procedure, but after Welch was identified as a person of interest from his sketch and later sex crimes, it seems reasonable for the police, even without any additional evidence, to search any areas Welch was know to visit, such as his family farm and the rail-track he walked on.

Welch might be an idiot, but I think he could have realized that any found murder victims on the family farm, would have the police his family and him. Of course it would be easier to bury bodies undisturbed and unnoticed on the family farm.

There is also the matter of how Welch got a car fast to initially move the bodies, especially if he was walking from Wheaton, via Kensington, to Silver Spring, and just ran into the sisters on the common walking route.

I think about these girls almost every day. I'm saying my prayers that they find something...anything that can bring closure for the family.

Where is Richard to throw cold-water on the Welch theory when we need him?

"Remains Found" on one news image, not even the text could be
1) a mistake by the one news source
2) true reports that remains were actually found, but the area has been farmed by white/European farmers for three centuries, so the remains could be of some farmer's child. Child mortality was very high until recently.
3) adult remains.

I am not an expert or even an amateur on good police procedure, but after Welch was identified as a person of interest from his sketch and later sex crimes, it seems reasonable for the police, even without any additional evidence, to search any areas Welch was know to visit, such as his family farm and the rail-track he walked on.

Welch might be an idiot, but I think he could have realized that any found murder victims on the family farm, would have the police his family and him. Of course it would be easier to bury bodies undisturbed and unnoticed on the family farm.

There is also the matter of how Welch got a car fast to initially move the bodies, especially if he was walking from Wheaton, via Kensington, to Silver Spring, and just ran into the sisters on the common walking route.

Why would we throw water on the Welch theory? He has said he was at the mall that day.He was seen watching the girls. He matches the sketch of the man watching the girls. He rapes young girls. He robbed a house in the neighborhood. As far as having access to a car,his gf was older than him and may have had one and LE has told his(Welch) cousin,Dollie Estep, that two of her uncles were implicated so he may have had help. He broke into a house so it's safe to assume that he would not be above stealing a car if he wanted to.

Dollie Estep, a Thaxton resident, said investigators had visited her home months ago and told her two of her uncles had been implicated in the disappearance of two sisters in Maryland in 1975. Katherine Lyon, 10, and Sheila Lyon, 12, were last seen eating pizza at a mall in Wheaton.

I wonder if they think that Welch had help?

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...d-lyon-sisters-disappearance-case-107200.html

I have stated, on several occasions, my doubts about Welch being the lone perpetrator in this case.

The idea of this 18-year-old, disorganized, mentally ill individual, who had no drivers license or car, suddenly developing the organizational skills to abduct two girls from a well populated area without a trace is hard to fathom. And then for him independantly to drive them all the way to western Virginia?

Welch evidently connected himself to this case at least as early as 1 April 1975 when he contacted Montgomery County Police by phone, calling in a "tip" and giving his name and Hyattsville address. MCP has never acknowledged or released any information in that "tip", and there is no information that they ever began following up on the tip until some time last year (2013).

There have been some news leaks that two other members of Welch's family might have been involved. While I have not heard any such information directly from MCP, it would seem a more likely scenario that Welch (if actually involved) was part of a "team" rather than that he did it all on his own.

If Welch was indeed directly involved in the abduction and possible murder of the Lyon sisters, why would he call the police in on his own position by trying to claim a reward? There are a lot of possibilities, but at this point things don't seem to add up.

News channels in the Washington DC area are NOT claiming yet that any remains have been found. Stories speak of the on going investigation in Virginia and photos of Welch and the Lyon Sisters are shown briefly. Hopefully MCP will provide a more indepth press release some time soon.

I have stated, on several occasions, my doubts about Welch being the lone perpetrator in this case.

The idea of this 18-year-old, disorganized, mentally ill individual, who had no drivers license or car, suddenly developing the organitional skills to abduct two girls from a well populated area without a trace is hard to fathom. And then for him independantly to drive them all the way to western Virginia?

Welch evidently connected himself to this case at least as early as 1 April 1975 when he contacted Montgomery County Police by phone, calling in a "tip" and giving his name and Hyattsville address. MCP has never acknowledged or released any information in that "tip", and there is no information that they ever began following up on the tip until some time last year (2013).

There have been some news leaks that two other members of Welch's family might have been involved. While I have not heard any such information directly from MCP, it would seem a more likely scenario that Welch (if actually involved) was part of a "team" rather than that he did it all on his own.

If Welch was indeed directly involved in the abduction and possible murder of the Lyon sisters, why would he call the police in on his own position by trying to claim a reward? There are a lot of possibilities, but at this point things don't seem to add up.

News channels in the Washington DC area are NOT claiming yet that any remains have been found. Stories speak of the on going investigation in Virginia and photos of Welch and the Lyon Sisters are shown briefly. Hopefully MCP will provide a more indepth press release some time soon.

I'm not quite sure why you think that it is so impossible for an 18 year old to abduct 2 girls and kill them. 2 little girls were abducted and killed just this summer and in both cases the perps were teenage boys. Clearly it does not take a criminal mastermind to get kids to go with you and that is why it keeps happening over and over and over. Welch said that he was at the mall that day. His mug shot matches the sketch made by a friend of the girls who was walking around with them. Welch is a rapist of young girls. LE has more info than we do. They are on the right track.

I am a Taylor's Mountain descendant and related to the Welch family. I do not know Michael but I know some of his kin. I was on the mountain yesterday as they search and rescue team were going into the woods. As you discuss this case, please keep the family in your prayers as this is hurting them too.

So all of the excitement of potential remains found are the result of an overzealous graphic designer at a news station?

I have been following this case for many years, specifically since I was interviewed by John Lyon on his radio show on WMAL back in the late 80's (I was in a local girl band at the time). It wasn't until after this interview that it dawned on me that this was the man whose daughters went missing.

Now.... maybe someone can enlighten me about this case. What I don't understand is why Lloyd Lee Welch was not looked at more closely back in 1975. You have the friend of the Lyon sisters that said a man had been following them. She even provided a sketch, which resembled Welch. Evidently, Welch was NOT the infamous Tape Recorder Man, which should have been known at the time. Also, he was seen "talking" to a security guard that day. Shouldn't the police already have all the names of all the security guards at that time? Why are they now seeking out security guards to come forward?

I just think it's so sad that this family has had to wait 40 years for some type of closure when it seems as though they had all the means and reasons to look more closely at Welch at the time, especially since he resembled the sketch. I know the police have worked hard, and I'm not trying to discredit them at all, I just feel that this could have been solved a LONG time ago.

Please remember: MOO!

Tonight, on the Channel 5 (Fox) evening news, there was a report which stated that Police held a news conference this evening and there it was emphasized that:

1. NO remains of the Lyon Sisters have been found as yet.

2. Not just Lloyd Lee Welch, but the entire Welch family is suspected of involvement in the Lyon case.

"We have identified property on Taylor mountain that we believe will surrender evidence in the Lyon sisters case," Francke said at a news conference late Wednesday afternoon. "Investigators are confident we are getting closer to telling the Lyon family the truth of what happened to Shelia and Catherine."

(modsnip)

Francke said Welch's family has some connection to the area being searched in Bedford County and added that "investigators believe that there are more than one suspect involved."

Francke confirmed police were looking at additional Welch family members as potential suspects, saying "They know who they are."
He indicated none of the additional suspects were currently in custody.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/0...-disappearance-case-107243.html#ixzz3DdR8uQUu

So it seems it's believed he had help.. which makes more sense to me, than that he did it alone.

Random thoughts on Welch and his accomplices: Welch could have lured the girls down the railroad track with any request for help, such as finding a lost puppy. As to recent developments, maybe another look at records of his initial call seeking the reward showed the disclosure of something that is now viewed as significant, such as a comment that he was at Wheaton Plaza with his uncle(s), or that they were in town visiting him. If the call-taker received more specific details about his mode of transportation (for instance, the make/model/license of whatever vehicle his uncle had), that could be steering investigators to the farm now - or maybe hearing Welch named as a POI caused one of them to panic and return to the cemetery more recently. I hope so much that this current investigation leads to definite answers for the Lyon family, and that anyone involved is held accountable.

I think the girls will be found in that family cemetery that LE is taking about...JMO. I did some checking and according to findagrave,that cemetery has 70 unmarked graves. As far as how and where they were taken from...I still think, as I always have, that the girls were taken from the wooded path(short cut) between their house and the mall. I think Welch and whatever family members helped him,were parked in the parking lot on the other side of the trees that run along the wooded path. It would have been quick and easy. LE says that they know who is responsible,"every last one of them." I can't wait to see every last one of them pay. Prayers for the Lyon family.

One of the big stumbling blocks about Welch was that he didn't have a vehicle and mostly used public transportation, hitchhiked, or got rides from friends. So IF this search produces evidence, IF a family member or members are involved, IF that person(s) had a vehicle (all very big if's at this point), that really is a game changer for Welch in my opinion. It could mean a big difference in looking at cases such as Eileen Kelly who disappeared in December 1974 and was kept alive for days before her body was found.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ngton-DC-December-1974&highlight=eileen+kelly

Hi, does this cemetery have a name? I researched (modsnip). She was Lloyd Welch's Aunt who owned the property located at 34xx Taylor Mountain Road, Thaxton, VA. According to her obituary, she passed away on 9/21/2006 and was buried in the Parker Family Cemetery. Is this the cemetery they are searching? Is this located in the woods behind the property? Obituary also said she had three sisters and two brothers (modsnip). One of her brothers must be the father of the person of interest, Lloyd Welch (aka Michael Welch). However, I thought his real name was Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. (?) She also had two sons (modsnip) and one daughter. I looked up Parker Family Cemetery on Findagrave.com, but I don't see where it says how many people have been interned there or how many unmarked graves there are(?)
One of the big stumbling blocks about Welch was that he didn't have a vehicle and mostly used public transportation, hitchhiked, or got rides from friends. So IF this search produces evidence, IF a family member or members are involved, IF that person(s) had a vehicle (all very big if's at this point), that really is a game changer for Welch in my opinion. It could mean a big difference in looking at cases such as Eileen Kelly who disappeared in December 1974 and was kept alive for days before her body was found.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ngton-DC-December-1974&highlight=eileen+kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motherrunner