Lloyd Welch is Person of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the actual press conference held by Montgomery County Police and FBI

Here is a link to the Montgomery County Community Media website which includes the entire video of the press conference held by Montgomery County Police and FBI concerning the latest lead in the Lyon case.

The Chief of Police, does indicate in his opening statement that Welch was seen in the mall that day and that he was paying attention to the girls. However, toward the end of the briefing, he shows the composite sketch of the unidentified (in 1975) Long Haired Man who was seen following or watching the girls, and beside it a photo of Welch, saying that there is a resemblence. He does not state that they are in fact one and the same person.

He goes on to state that the detectives have re-interviewed witnesses (none specified) from that time and are seeking others who might know of Welch and his activities over the past decades.

Welch was identified in the briefing as a "Person of Interest", which is short of naming him a "Suspect" in the case.

As I have stated many, many times in the past, this is an open and ongoing investigation by the Montgomery County Police. As seen in this joint briefing, the FBI is now also involved in the investigation.

LINK:

http://www.mymcmedia.org/a-lead-in-the-lyon-investigation-video/

I agree that LE has not said that the sketch and Welch are the same person only that they resemble each other. I've NEVER claimed that LE is saying that the sketch is Welch. I'm simply saying that he cannot be ignored for the many reasons I've stated previously.

Link to the actual press conference held by Montgomery County Police and FBI

Here is a link to the Montgomery County Community Media website which includes the entire video of the press conference held by Montgomery County Police and FBI concerning the latest lead in the Lyon case.

The Chief of Police, does indicate in his opening statement that Welch was seen in the mall that day and that he was paying attention to the girls. However, toward the end of the briefing, he shows the composite sketch of the unidentified (in 1975) Long Haired Man who was seen following or watching the girls, and beside it a photo of Welch, saying that there is a resemblence. He does not state that they are in fact one and the same person.

He goes on to state that the detectives have re-interviewed witnesses (none specified) from that time and are seeking others who might know of Welch and his activities over the past decades.

Welch was identified in the briefing as a "Person of Interest", which is short of naming him a "Suspect" in the case.

As I have stated many, many times in the past, this is an open and ongoing investigation by the Montgomery County Police. As seen in this joint briefing, the FBI is now also involved in the investigation.

LINK:

http://www.mymcmedia.org/a-lead-in-the-lyon-investigation-video/
-------------
richard et al --

there's no reason to argue over facts.

1. mocopo and the fbi both state that WELCH -- not a random LHM or the man in the sketch -- that WELCH was seen paying attention to the sisters at the plaza 3/25/75. that can be verified in their press release. i've posted the link twice now and quoted from it twice now. there's no need to squabble over it. that the fbi and mocopo have stated such is simply a fact.

2. the police have not stated that the man in the sketch was welch. i haven't said they have. neither did motherof5. i'm not quite sure, richard, why you go on about making that point -- though that does seem to be your habit, to not respond to questions asked of you or errors you've made, but rather to introduce red herrings.

I am anxiously awaiting to hear how many crimes/types were committed in the areas that Lloyd Welch lived over the years. Ones that are unsolved as well as the ones he was convicted for committing. I wish there was a way to search the police records against the recently FBI timeline of his whereabouts. If anyone can give me websites on how to further search, I would appreciate it. I am new and I look forward to becoming an active member!

:welcome: to WS.

I am anxiously awaiting to hear how many crimes/types were committed in the areas that Lloyd Welch lived over the years. Ones that are unsolved as well as the ones he was convicted for committing. I wish there was a way to search the police records against the recently FBI timeline of his whereabouts. If anyone can give me websites on how to further search, I would appreciate it. I am new and I look forward to becoming an active member!

Welcome to websleuths and thanks for your interest in this case. It will be very interesting to see if the press conference and naming of a person of interest leads to more information about this case and other missing person cases. I don't think there is a way to search police records. Missing person and unidentified websites like Namus( https://www.findthemissing.org/en ) are a good place to start searching for missing people in the states identified by mcp that Welch is believed to have been in at certain dates.

If you have any questions or need any help we will be happy to do so.

Still trying to pinpoint what is being revealed about Welch's known crimes.

In another thread on this case, this article was linked: http://www.delawareonline.com/story...onvict-to-long-missing-maryland-girls/5593997

It says that he was "convicted of sexually assaulting a girl of a similar age [as the Lyon sisters] in the 1990s."

This victim was his girlfriend's daughter. She was 10 years old when the abuse happened in 1997. Her mother found out about two weeks later and reported him. "According to the court document, Welch admitted to abusing the girl and was charged with 11 crimes. He pleaded guilty to first-degree unlawful sexual intercourse and unlawful sexual penetration on Jan. 5, 1998."

So it looks like those 11 charges are all from one victim, and not multiple victims, in this case. It doesn't say if he was living with the victim at the time (The article just says that he was watching *advertiser censored* in the living room while the girl was in the same room with him. No info on whose house, if they all lived together, if he was babysitting her for his girlfriend, or what.) but the victim was definitely known to him and this wasn't a stranger abduction situation, as it appears to be with the Lyon sisters.

Still trying to pinpoint what is being revealed about Welch's known crimes.

In another thread on this case, this article was linked: http://www.delawareonline.com/story...onvict-to-long-missing-maryland-girls/5593997

It says that he was "convicted of sexually assaulting a girl of a similar age [as the Lyon sisters] in the 1990s."

This victim was his girlfriend's daughter. She was 10 years old when the abuse happened in 1997. Her mother found out about two weeks later and reported him. "According to the court document, Welch admitted to abusing the girl and was charged with 11 crimes. He pleaded guilty to first-degree unlawful sexual intercourse and unlawful sexual penetration on Jan. 5, 1998."

So it looks like those 11 charges are all from one victim, and not multiple victims, in this case. It doesn't say if he was living with the victim at the time (The article just says that he was watching *advertiser censored* in the living room while the girl was in the same room with him. No info on whose house, if they all lived together, if he was babysitting her for his girlfriend, or what.) but the victim was definitely known to him and this wasn't a stranger abduction situation, as it appears to be with the Lyon sisters.

Thanks TracyLynnS and nursebeeme for posting this article it is interesting. I'm the same TracyLynnS. Hopefully more victims will come forward after the press conference.

At the time of his arrest he was working as a landscaper – was he doing any landscape work to earn additional money back when the girls were abducted in Maryland? If he was who’s garden or land did he have access to at the time?

It doesn’t surprise me he is not admitting to having anything to with the case since he is trying his bid for freedom. It is interesting his relative says he is a compulsive liar sometimes he tells the truth and sometimes he doesn't and "the black sheep of the family". It looks like he had a troubled life with his mother killed by his drunk driving step father. "Nobody got along with him", he was always fighting and arguing with his dad according to the relative in the article. I am not a psychologist but I bet most crimes like this are not done by men who have had happy and stable childhoods.

If he did this crime the only incentives I can think of for him to come clean is the notoriety in his sick mind of being responsible or immunity which however tempting should not be offered.

I hope the press conference brings leads to detectives. It would be very saddening for the girls parents now aged 74 to go to their graves not knowing what happened to them after having their lives ruined by the monster who did this.

We should please take it easy on Richard. He has done a lot of research on this case and, like me, he's very passionate about this case. I certainly don't want to see this thread (or any other) develop into a big argument. I believe everybody's opinion is valid.

Each state and county in the state has their own system regarding property records, addresses, motor vehicle license addresses, etc. Much of that is on computer these days, but records as far back as 1975 would mostly be on paper and microfilm files. During the 1975 investigation into the Lyon Sisters' disappearance, there was a statewide search for a tan 1968 Ford Station Wagon. Investigators had a possible partial tag number. They had to search paper files in all Maryland counties to try to find the registration. A long and tedious process.

Regarding Parole hearings - and this is probably what the press is talking about in regard to Welch wanting an early release - each state has its own procedures and laws governing such hearings. But in general, YES you can send a letter or e-mail to the parole board prior to a hearing. The Website Forum members might be able to provide specific procedures for Delaware, or give you a link to the Parole Board's website.

Regarding anonymity, you could request that your name be withheld in the letter, but that might not be necessary. Again each state will have different procedures, but I do not think that the prisoner has the right to see all the correspondence regarding his parole hearing. In fact, some states simply do a paper review of the case and there is no actual face-to-face meeting with the inmate.

Thanks Richard I really appreciate your posts.

I read on Welch's time line that he was in the Austin TX area in 1974, which is the year Rachel Trlica, Julie Moseley and Lisa Wilson vanished from a Forth Worth mall. I;m anxious to see if he would have any ties to their disappearance as well.

FWIW, they did a piece on the Lyons sisters on Fox News last night. The reporter was at Wheaton Plaza, and they showed photos of the Lyons home, and the neighborhood. The reporter stated that Welch was "interviewed by a mall security guard" on the DAY of the ABDUCTION. Don't know how accurate that is.....did anyone else see this?

FWIW, they did a piece on the Lyons sisters on Fox News last night. The reporter was at Wheaton Plaza, and they showed photos of the Lyons home, and the neighborhood. The reporter stated that Welch was "interviewed by a mall security guard" on the DAY of the ABDUCTION. Don't know how accurate that is.....did anyone else see this?

Thanks for letting us know about this. I am sorry I missed it I usually have Fox News on all the time in the background. What show was this report done in? I don't see any video of it on their website or on YouTube. Please let us know if you find the video of the report.

Was the security guard interviewing Welch the only piece of information that was new? I hadn't heard this before. If he was interviewed by a security guard I wonder what time this was at.

Thanks for letting us know about this. I am sorry I missed it I usually have Fox News on all the time in the background. What show was this report done in? I don't see any video of it on their website or on YouTube. Please let us know if you find the video of the report.

Was the security guard interviewing Welch the only piece of information that was new? I hadn't heard this before. If he was interviewed by a security guard I wonder what time this was at.

Hey Greg....I am pretty sure it was on special report with Brett Baier....I was "sort of" watching between 4 and 7 and I paid attention to Greta....but I was doing other stuff while the TV was on and when they did the lead in before commercial it caught my eye and I sat down to watch the story.

They showed some old film or photos of the Lyons home, the reporter (can't remember who it was) was at Westfield in Wheaton, they showed the black and white photos of the girls! they showed the sketch that was made with a picture of Welch beside it, and they did a short interview with a woman who lived or lives in the neighborhood. They ended with a shot of two kids walking down the street towards the path.....

It did not occur to me till afterwards that the reported had said that welch was interviewed by a mall security guard on the day of the abduction. Oh! They also showed a picture of the case file boxes marked Lyons early on in the piece.

Going to work for a while this morning but I'll look around and see if I can find it. I probably should double check before I run my mouth on here anyway :)

thanks spcagrl! Wow...i can't believe we are just learning that he was interviewed by mall security. Didn't security mention him in 1975? Strange.

That's what I thought and had previously mentioned that his name was probably in a log that security kept, for something else.

Yes. The 'Information Packet' that was handed out at the news conference on the 11th and has been linked to upthread:

http://www.mymcpnews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Info-Packet-Lyon.pdf

on page 5, under Help Needed From the Public, it says

Investigators believe that WELCH had contact with a security guard at the Wheaton Plaza around the date of the Lyon's girl's disappearance.

We are seeking information to identify the security guard and anyone else that worked or was at the mall the day of the disappearance.

Though 'day of' is perhaps not conclusive, my guess is that's what FOX was citing.

Just browsing around online......and two carnival companies operating in Maryland at the time were Taylor & Sons (founded in 1970), and Shaw &Sons, founded 1945. Both are based in nearby Anne Arundel County.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member