Lori Ruff Identified as Kimberly McLean of PA

But she could have moved to a distant county and made the change. What would be the odds they would have tracked it down, especially in 1988.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But she could have moved to a distant county and made the change. What would be the odds they would have tracked it down, especially in 1988.

She did got to unnecessary lengths if all she wanted to do was hide from her family. Wonder how PI's found people back then. Lots more legwork i suppose. Seems in the 80's you could probably get lost without even a name change, yet she even did it illegally. Risky for a shy Catholic girl. That movie Positive ID came out the end of '87 with a plot close to what she did. You got to wonder if she saw this and thought, what a great idea. I tend to think she had mental health issues even back then which may have included some paranoid thoughts. She seemed very intelligent by all accounts, but she was reckless with money based on bankruptcy. I am thinking bipolar, but we are websleuths not webpsychologists..so I am not qualified at all to say that.

It is obvious she believed she had reason/s to go to extra lengths to hide her true identity. But, unless her family reveals additional information, or someone successfully communicates with the dead... we will never know.

When I first posted to this forum, I felt the problem was that the known evidence had been so picked over there was nothing left to say, & that anyone who wanted the answer had to find more evidence. Almost a year has passed, now that we know LEK's birth name & some of her earlier history, but my opinion hasn't changed: anyone who wants the answer for how she got from Kimberly McLean to Lori Eric Ruff needs to find more evidence. What we are likely to learn thru Google searches will not contain the answer.

(FWIW, my own theory is that she met someone who gained her friendship & trust, & convinced KM/LEK to leave her family. The same person likely convinced her to adopt a new identity, then disappeared from her life at some point after KM/LEK moved to Dallas. I don't have any clinching proof this is true, but it's what I will believe is true until someone proves me wrong.)

Her bankruptcy records are a matter of public record: that alone would provide an interesting snapshot of her life. IMHO, she didn't declare bankruptcy due to reckless spending, but as a means to cope with repaying her student loans. But to speculate on her motivations for declaring bankruptcy without reading them really is a disservice to her.

And there's a lot of other information out there waiting to be found. Unfortunately, much of it won't be uncovered thru an Internet forum, but thru one determined researcher -- or maybe a team of two or three -- with the skill & time to interview all the people involved at length, & elicit the clues needed to help us follow this woman from the Philadelphia suburb where she grew up to Dallas. In other words, anyone who wants to know the answer needs to wait for someone to write a book about her. Which should not be an unrewarding project for a journalist/author: a book about KM/LEK's life is bound to have a large audience.

I about fell out of my chair upon reading tonight for the first time that Lori has finally been identified, wow! So glad Kim's family will have closure and her daughter will have the truth of who her mama was. I only wish we knew what would make a person leave all of their family, friends, everything they have ever known and never look back and especially at only 18 years old. I guess there are some things not meant for us to know.

I met with Maureen O'Hagan today, the woman who wrote the Seattle Times article. I suspect she's planning on writing a book on the case, & if not I suggested to her that she should.

Speaking to her, I learned one answer to the many questions we've had about this case; not the most important, but still one many here have asked. Where was Lori & Blake's daughter when she committed suicide in her in-law driveway? Maureen told me that yes, their daughter was with Blake, not at their house -- which had remained unoccupied between the time Lori left it & when the Ruffs & the police visited it in January.

Lastly, she is interested in talking to people who were active on this Websleuth's forum, so if she has contacted you, please consider responding. I found her a pleasure to talk to.

Wonderful! I am still very interested in the years between what is known. On an interesting note:
A. Laciner contacted me. He said his first wife K. Was friends with Lori (Kimberly) when they lived in Dallas but he didn't know her well. He is no longer in touch with his first wife. Interesting indeed. He jokingly(?) said maybe she was a spy...
I did not want to pursue this topic with him.. maybe one day I can ask his first wife about Lori.

Wonderful! I am still very interested in the years between what is known. On an interesting note:
A. Laciner contacted me. He said his first wife K. Was friends with Lori (Kimberly) when they lived in Dallas but he didn't know her well. He is no longer in touch with his first wife. Interesting indeed. He jokingly(?) said maybe she was a spy...
I did not want to pursue this topic with him.. maybe one day I can ask his first wife about Lori.

So great to finally confirm that link!

interesting note on the Spy thing. I read a book called (I think) A Mother's Story. It is a book based on a woman's life in Turtle Creek PA. About life back during the depression and her memories about Turtle Creek and the people. One story she tells is about Russian Spies during this time and how her neighbor was kidnapped by them. I know, crazy. But I grew up for a time in Turtle Creek, my family on my Mom's side is from there, and I spent many months there as well. Jackie Evancho (spelling?) family lives there. I knew her aunt, worked with her. It is a very small town, but had lots of history. Anyway, just reminded me of her story of spies.

Skully I have now finally finished grad school and can dedicate time to pleasure reading... sounds like I need to add " A Mother's Story" to my reading list! Take care everyone!

Skully I have now finally finished grad school and can dedicate time to pleasure reading... sounds like I need to add " A Mother's Story" to my reading list! Take care everyone!

I think it is a Mother's love story the more I think about it. I got it about 4 years ago, on Amazon.

Congratulations on finishing grad school Linda9681!! A great accomplishment!

Not sure which thread it was in but at one point someone was using facial recognition software to compare missing persons to "Lori". Now that we really do have her HS pic it would be interesting to run them through the software just to see what the matching percentage is with her HS pic vs. an adult pic. Might help us in other cases.. anyone remember who here was doing this?

Not sure which thread it was in but at one point someone was using facial recognition software to compare missing persons to "Lori". Now that we really do have her HS pic it would be interesting to run them through the software just to see what the matching percentage is with her HS pic vs. an adult pic. Might help us in other cases.. anyone remember who here was doing this?

CarlK maybe? I might be mis-remembering.

Wasn't it someone on the FB page that was doing it? It was % similarity and I think we discussed it here but I don't recall the person being a member here.

I feel like I looked at a lot of potential matches and none of them compare to her actual high school picture. After the match was made, I feel like her features are extremely distinct. I know we were thinking she had possibly had a nose job, but after seeing her real pictures, I was astonished by how little they compared to the ones we were looking at.

I feel like I looked at a lot of potential matches and none of them compare to her actual high school picture. After the match was made, I feel like her features are extremely distinct. I know we were thinking she had possibly had a nose job, but after seeing her real pictures, I was astonished by how little they compared to the ones we were looking at.

Was it you who was thinking of doing either a documentary or writing an article about this case? (Can't remember which sorry). If so, I'd be so interested to see it when you're done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilyminx
Back