MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCVB.COM /CHANNEL FIVE IN BOSTON, has vids/large images of KR as well, daily. Might be some added information though the court conversations provided here are excellent and today's are heartbreaking.
Are counsels heard easily? I can hear (where I watch from) witnesses on the stand loud and clear, but counsels aren't so easy to hear. TIA

Are counsels heard easily? I can hear (where I watch from) witnesses on the stand loud and clear, but counsels aren't so easy to hear. TIA
Yes, I am hearing witness, a bartender from the WATERFALL bar, the last place JO and KR were. She is loud and clear and the lawyer is very clear as well.

My vote, from the not ideal images…… is that the red polycarbonate passenger (right side) lens does not appear to be as pronounced or prominent in either the rear-on or overhead shot. The total area shown red on the right side is not consistent with the opposite side IMO.

From the above I conclude that it might be damaged or missing a portion of the lens? (And qualifying that it does not appear to be snow or ice covering it or the passenger side of the rear. And the rear-on shot is poorly pixelated.) MOO

Has testimony been given on this yet? And thanks to all for the viewing options. I found it!

A Shoddy questionable investigation and cronies being involved does not equal a conspiracy theory IMO.
Can you explain?

As far as I know there are 2 options being talked about 1) she hit him with the Lexus and 2) some version of he was beat up in the house (and attacked by a dog) and dumped in the snow with multiple people lying and doing various other activities to cover it up.

I think 2 is pretty close to an almost literal definition of a conspiracy.

Can you explain?

As far as I know there are 2 options being talked about 1) she hit him with the Lexus and 2) some version of he was beat up in the house (and attacked by a dog) and dumped in the snow with multiple people lying and doing various other activities to cover it up.

You get no cover up vibes from ANY of this? Nothing that seems a bit off?

Can you explain?

I did explain, but I will repeat.....A Shoddy questionable investigation and cronies being involved does not equal a conspiracy theory

Can you explain?

Please add .." or not doing" before the word various in your # 2 scenario. Then, the 'conspiracy theory' fits better....

MOO

Can you explain?

Forget about #2 for the moment.

How much progress do you think the prosecution has made so far in establishing #1? We're a week and a half into the trial, and I think this is all we we know so far in establishing the commonwealth's burden of proof:
  1. Some, but not all, of the people at the scene think that Karen said "I hit him".
  2. There was damage to her right rear taillight, but it hasn't been established when or how.
  3. She was drinking that night.
Anything else?

We still haven't heard anything about the alleged collision and exactly how KR would have hit JO and how her car was damaged. We have no idea how his wounds correlate to the prosecution theory. And we really have no motive, beyond she was spoiling the niece.

Hopefully we'll get there, but the DA is moving very, very slowly.

I did explain, but I will repeat.....A Shoddy questionable investigation and cronies being involved does not equal a conspiracy theory

I don't think anyone believes the Canton cops were involved in a conspiracy or cover up. But there is no question they were breathtakingly incompetent. I think there are two main reasons for this. 1) They knew most of the parties involved on a personal level and 2) Although not a Canton cop himself, Brian Albert and his family were very well known in town. Brian was also a local celebrity, having starred in several episodes of a reality TV called "Boston's Finest". I believe these are the reasons for the cops giving him preferential treatment. Their failures here seriously compromised the investigation from the get-go.

More to come regarding the people in the house and the State police.

I don't think anyone believes the Canton cops were involved in a conspiracy or cover up. But there is no question they were breathtakingly incompetent. I think there are two main reasons for this. 1) They knew most of the parties involved on a personal level and 2) Although not a Canton cop himself, Brian Albert and his family were very well known in town. Brian was also a local celebrity, having starred in several episodes of a reality TV called "Boston's Finest". I believe these are the reasons for the cops giving him preferential treatment. Their failures here seriously compromised the investigation from the get-go.

More to come regarding the people in the house and the State police.
3) They just didn't know how to do their jobs. I mean, "I'm a 25-year veteran detective but I don't know how to use evidence tape," or "Let's dump the victim's blood into open plastic cups and store them in a grocery bag."

Really?

I know there's an audit going on of the Canton PD and it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of that.

How much progress do you think the prosecution has made so far in establishing #1? We're a week and a half into the trial, and I think this is all we we know so far in establishing the commonwealth's burden of proof:
  1. Some, but not all, of the people at the scene think that Karen said "I hit him".

I think only the female firefighter testified she specifically heard Read say "I hit him". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though. Someone else said she said, "Could I have hit him?" Which is a very different statement. I mean, I'd have asked same question under the circumstances.

And that firefighter appears to have lied on the stand about how close a relationship she had with the daughter of Brian Albert who was also in the house that night. Since her testimony that she barely knew Caitlin Albert a bunch more of photos of them together have turned up, including one from about 6 months before O'Keefe died. The internet always wins!

Forget about #2 for the moment.

2. There was damage to her right rear taillight, but it hasn't been established when or how.
  3. She was drinking that night.
Anything else?

We still haven't heard anything about the alleged collision and exactly how KR would have hit JO and how her car was damaged. We have no idea how his wounds correlate to the prosecution theory. And we really have no motive, beyond she was spoiling the niece.

Hopefully we'll get there, but the DA is moving very, very slowly.

Do you think we've heard the meat of the prosecution's case (the physical evidence, phone, gps, doctors, etc.)? We haven't even heard from what I'd think are the most important players. If all the prosecution had was "some EMT heard her say it" - then a grand jury wouldn't have indicted her in the first place. This is all setting the table stuff.

If they stopped now... of course nobody is going to convict her.

I do think this is a somewhat tough situation for the defense. In a lot of crimes, reasonable doubt covers a bunch of possibilities. In this case, because of the storm... purported evidence... it doesn't seem like many other options are on the table (which brings me back to the either/or scenario) - so I think that's why the defense is leaning hard into the other idea.

A hard motive isn't a requirement. I think she was really drunk (and believe we'll have evidence on this later). They had a somewhat volatile relationship. They were fighting about something in the car sitting out in front of the house (maybe even if they should keep the party going or call it a night - who knows) he triggers her... he gets out... she rams into him and takes off. I don't think it was planned. I don't think it was intentional to kill him. Maybe she didn't even mean to hit him - just meant to scare him. Left without thinking or realizing she had hurt him badly. And... regretfully as indicated by her behavior later that morning (to me) she kind of sobered up some and remembered/realized something bad may have happened. Then, we then get her odd subsequent actions.

That's it. Nothing more.

It's scary that someone can be tried for murder based on dna evidence collected in what essentially was a Cheetos bag I found in my car.

I'm afraid all of these witnesses are going to be harassed and threatened by the cops after this trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCPstudy