MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Chris Albert did well on the stand and was able to rebut the accusation that he had some beef with JO. The photos of CA and his wife on John's lawn may have been immature, but it seems like they were done in a joshing fashion. Plus the fact that years later CA texted JO and asked him to meet up for drinks (and referenced the lawn thing) shows they weren't on bad terms.

The one area where I thought that the defense was effective was in showing that Chris had no idea when Colin Albert came home and Chris was shading the truth about it in his direct testimony.

edit - I did think it was funny that CA has been a town selectman for over a year now and he doesn't know what his duties entail. Perhaps much like the cops he's supposed to oversee.

Last edited:
Yadda yadda yadda.....
Where's the beef?
Where is the proof that KR killed JOK?

The CW's time spent deflecting the defense's position vs proving their case is really remarkable

This witness CA provided...KR was at the bar, she didn't appear to be impaired, and left before he did.

He wasn't at the scene of the crime.

Maybe there is a method to the madness.

Could part of the prosecution's strategy be to call these witnesses now go through their mundane testimony... let the defense try and tie them all into a cover up essentially bundling all that stuff at the start of the trial... then the prosecution closes with the meat of the case?

Sure the defense can recall a witness... but at that point the jury has already heard them testify and is going to be far more interested in seeing a response to the important evidence vs. hearing the defense (again) try and drum up doubts about beefs over walking on lawns, etc..

Just a thought.

The CW's time wasting and story filling is in your face !

" Describe the snow....."
"Describe the high top chairs in the bah..."

"Describe the kids sporting events...."

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back in session.
Julie Albert is called by ADA Lally.
Establishing she’s lived in Canton her whole life, where she lives, kids, married to Chris Albert.

Establishing her relationship with OKeefe, they were friends & neighbors, friendly.
Jennifer McCabe is one of her closest friends.
She’s friendly with OKeefe’s niece & nephew
She met #KarenRead in 2021
They were friendly and socialized.

They socialized in a group setting.
Remembers socially interacting with OKeefe alone once, maybe before he was Karen.
Never socialized one on one with Karen.

Jan 28 - nephew Brian’s birthday eve, folks were planning to go out.

Plans to go The Waterfall.
Establishing that The Waterfall is “steps” from the pizza shop.
Julie picked up Nicole at 34 Fairview.
Caitlin & Brian were there, can’t recall any more.

She took Caitlin, too.
Even tho it was Brian’s birthday gathering, he didn’t go.
Establishing where everyone sat in The Waterfall

Establishing the band was setting up.
Niece’s boyfriend arrived at some point.
Establishing what folks drank.
Nicole, Caitlin had White Claws.

Lally isn’t covering any new ground here.
I’ll let you know when he does.
Julie’s testimony matches her husband’s.
Julie also can’t pronounce Kolokithas.

Judge directing Julie not to answer with “ok” or “I guess”,

Testifying that #KarenRead took a drinking glass out of her coat. Julie laughed.

Christopher Albert measured the distance in minutes, Julie measures in steps.

Julie was with the Karen Read & John OKeefe for about 15 minutes.
She left because she had a migraine
Lally: from the band
Julie: yes
J Albert says her son Colin was with Brian Jr
J Albert calls the tone at The Waterfall as “normal”
Did not observe any issues between OKeefe/Read

@SueNBCBoston

Maybe there is a method to the madness.

Could part of the prosecution's strategy be to call these witnesses now go through their mundane testimony... let the defense try and tie them all into a cover up essentially bundling all that stuff at the start of the trial... then the prosecution closes with the meat of the case?

Sure the defense can recall a witness... but at that point the jury has already heard them testify and is going to be far more interested in seeing a response to the important evidence vs. hearing the defense (again) try and drum up doubts about beefs over walking on lawns, etc..

Just a thought.

I do hope they get to the "meat of the case" soon. There's been a lot of time wasted by the DA. However, I'm not so sure that the meat favors the commonwealth.

Testimony of the lead investigator - I suspect that this is going to be a calamity for the prosecution.

Taillight shards - This would seem to be the prosecution's strongest physical evidence. But the fact that they weren't found until 12 hours later and the inaccuracies (lies?) in Michael Proctor's police reports may blunt their effectiveness.

Wounds - JO's autopsy photos are what caused many people to doubt the commonwealth's version of events in the first place. The medical examiner is going to be vigorously cross-examined by the defense.

Accident reconstruction - The prosecution is going to need to explain how JO ended up on the lawn and not on the roadway. In fact, their theory of the case has changed from KR making a three-point turn to reversing at high-speed. Again, the cross-examination of the reconstructionist will be intense. A lot may depend on what was recovered from the Lexus data recorder.

John's cellphone - I think this mostly favors the prosecution but the Apple Health data says that he was going up and down stairs. This will be a battle of the experts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member