MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been watching the trial daily summary by Peter Tragos, TLYK, and after Day 9, I'm simply appalled the prosecution is still calling friends from the bar to repeat the same testimony, and can't believe that the Commonwealth still hasn't provided us (or the jury) with the timeline of when KR allegedly murdered the victim. I'm really feeling sympathy for the jurors. Here's to hoping for a more productive week! Cheers...

One interesting thing I noticed is that according to KR, after dropping JO off at the BA’s house she waited in the car for him to come back. She only left after waiting there a bit and not receiving a response to her calls and texts.

Siblings RN’s and LN’s statement seem to corroborate that IMO. According to CourtTV, KR’s vehicle and the one RN rode in seem to arrive at BA’s ar the same time with KR’s parking in front of RN’s. RN seems to corroborate KR’s claims of waiting for JO when he alleges that when his friend’s car passed besides hers as they were leaving he could see her sitting alone in her vehicle. His sister LN also sees Read’s car when she steps outside to talk to her brother and notes that even though she never sees any of the passengers she also doesn’t hear any arguing or sounds of distress from the vehicle.

According to phone records, at 12:40 JM sees KR’s SUV arrive and texts JO to tell him to park behind her vehicle though she sees them park to the far left of the house instead. Apparently however, only 5 minutes later JM texts JO “hello” again as though she was still looking or waiting for him. JM also does see Read’s black SUV drive away but still no sight of JO.

From all of this, if JO made it into the house, by what entrance did he get in and who let him in? IMO too, since LN does not state she passed or saw JO walking to the house as she walked to her brother’s car either and he does not respond to KR’s and JM’s texts messages in the span of 5 minutes he must have been lured to the other part of the house or entrance pretty quickly.

Also, if LN’s and RN’s statements are deemed credible, when do prosecutors allege KR would have hit JO with her car since he is neither in her car or outside next to it to their recollections? So where was he at this time, why didn’t he go into the house and are they going to allege he came back and that is when she hit him? Would that fit a timeline according to phone and CCTV/camera records?

JMO speculation, questions and opinions could be wrong

Prosecution reveals alleged timeline in death of police officer

I don't see this judge dismissing the case or entering a directed verdict. The most likely scenario is that the trial will continue until the jury reaches a verdict or it hangs.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever know who killed John O'Keefe for sure. If KR is found guilty some people will always believe she was framed. If she's found not guilty others will think she got away with murder.

They'll eventually be articles and books and podcasts each with their own theory of whodunnit: whether that's Karen, Brian Higgins, one of the Alberts or even some other person who's never been mentioned to date.

People are still trying to figure out who killed Jon Benet Ramsey and that's been almost 30 years.

I don't know how it feels inside the room. Outside, I still feel have unpleasant feeling about KR, but logically, I would not have the strength to vote "guilty" if i were the juror. I can't trust solely my intuition in the absence of solid evidence, and this case reminds me of haphazardly executed quilt, nothing more.

Now, it is interesting that you have mentioned JBR case. What made that case non-solvable, JMO, were two factors. One, that JB is a smart, logical person and a good planner. Nr 2: horrible initial investigation of Colorado LE. They were so much in awe of the house and its wealthy, influential owners, that they never performed good initial investigation. And we always read, the first hours matter the most. This, IMHO, doomed the case.

But, I think people have an idea of what had happened to JBR. An accident, a hysterical mom who wanted to protect everything else she had (she already had the diagnosis of ovarian cancer), and on top, media hysterics which probably won't be that abundant today because the photos of a child, heavily made up and dressed like an adult, look horrible. We, the society, have changed. Now, lots of people made money on books and shows, but the case did ruin many lives. Patsy, dead. JB, a successful businessman, never realized his full potential afterwards. BR I wouldn't envy either. We don't know who killed JBR, but there are no winners in the case.

The Commonwealth case has been weak thus far. Hope they end their case strong. If not, she walks.
However, she should walk. Solid proof needs to be there -- it is not there - beyond a reasonable doubt.
Poor - very poor handling of evidence. contamination. Not good.
That alone, means game over. moo

That JOK was killed in the home and dragged to the front yard - makes no sense.
The arm injuries - dog bites - where are the teeth marks?

The vehicle hit by accident - makes the most sense.

Apparently the state can't provide it. Case should never have gone to trial.

Poor KR, modern day LB.

All Speculative
I've only watched bits and pieces of this trial, but to me anyway, there's a lot that doesn't add up so far..
I have questions.
Where's the malice aforethought? Nobody noticed KR and JO arguing at the Waterfall, or in a bad mood at all. If it only takes 5 minutes to walk from the Waterfall to Brian Albert's house, how does one go from getting along well to wanting to kill someone in the two minutes or less it would take to drive there? There wouldn't be enough time to even get heated in an argument in that distance. If she had planned to kill him in advance, then why not a first degree murder charge? To me, that doesn't make sense.

KR was driving a Lexus LX 570 SUV. The rear of that model is almost vertical up to the top of the tail light and then the top half slopes forward. If she hit him at 26 mph, although his head would have still hit the vehicle, why are there no injuries to the lower half of his body from the neck down seeing as that would have hit first? Why a gash to the back of his head?

What part of the vehicle caused all those cuts to JO's arm? I don't see any that could. Bruises maybe, but several lacerations? I don't get it. There would have to be several sharp pieces of the vehicle consistent in spacing to cause those injuries I would think. There are none on that vehicle.

Sure, I can believe that John would not come home and choose to stay over because of the weather.

These days though, we have cell phones. From everything I've read about John he seems like the kind of person who would call and let Karen know, especially with minor children at home. And he certainly doesn't seem like the type to ghost her and let all her calls go to voicemail.

I'm sure there are other guys out there who wouldn't think twice about something like that and would wander in whenever, figuring that they can dump the kids on their girlfriend. But those kind of guys wouldn't take on the responsibility of raising their sister's kids in the first place.

So, I can understand why Karen would start panicking when he went incommunicado.
Respectfully, disagree in this case. There were issues about certain things when it came to her taking care of the kids. There are articles that have been posted here which relates to this (her feeling as if he was taking advantage of her care), but no link, so it's moo.

Did she get mad that he get to have the fun, and I am stuck here with...
Typical that he would not call or text.
Again... moo

Nothing to base this on but common sense.

Last edited:
I've only watched bits and pieces of this trial, but to me anyway, there's a lot that doesn't add up so far..
I have questions.
Where's the malice aforethought? Nobody noticed KR and JO arguing at the Waterfall, or in a bad mood at all. If it only takes 5 minutes to walk from the Waterfall to Brian Albert's house, how does one go from getting along well to wanting to kill someone in the two minutes or less it would take to drive there? There wouldn't be enough time to even get heated in an argument in that distance. If she had planned to kill him in advance, then why not a first degree murder charge? To me, that doesn't make sense.

KR was driving a Lexus LX 570 SUV. The rear of that model is almost vertical up to the top of the tail light and then the top half slopes forward. If she hit him at 26 mph, although his head would have still hit the vehicle, why are there no injuries to the lower half of his body from the neck down seeing as that would have hit first? Why a gash to the back of his head?

What part of the vehicle caused all those cuts to JO's arm? I don't see any that could. Bruises maybe, but several lacerations? I don't get it. There would have to be several sharp pieces of the vehicle consistent in spacing to cause those injuries I would think. There are none on that vehicle.
I dont believe her actions were deliberate. I'm still waiting for trial to proceed. There's been no evidence of her guilt. I'm not convinced. Only that KR makes the most sense for now. moo

To catch up on the trial so far, visit our coverage here:
https://nbcboston.com/news/canton-karen-read-case/

The defense & #KarenRead are in the courtroom, as are 10 of her family & supporters.
Just a touch of pink on the spectators.
John OKeefe’s family & friends have not entered the courtroom yet.

We expect we’ll open the day with Brian Albert back on the stand with cross examination by the defense.
B. Albert has certainly been on the stand a lot as a Boston Police officer, and his testimony skills were evident during the prosecution’s questioning.

Should make for an interesting morning of testimony.

John OKeefe’s family has entered the courtroom.

A reminder: if you’re looking for verbatim coverage of the testimony, this thread isn’t for you.
If you’re looking for biased coverage of the case, this thread isn’t for you.
If I use “ .” it’s a quote.
When I offer an opinion, I’ll label it as such.

Yes, the circus outside the courtroom has continued.
Mostly in the media line.
I missed the chaos, but you can find reports in other threads.
Judge is here, no jury yet.
Good mornings, & intros.
Defense asks for a sidebar.

@JHall7news

Judge enters and we have out umpteenth side bar of this trial. No jury here yet.

9:12 AM · May 13, 2024

Judge Beverly Cannone is in a lengthy discussion with defense attorney Alan Jackson who will likely handle this witness. They're done now. Jury is heading in momentarily.

9:16 AM · May 13, 2024

The Commonwealth case has been weak thus far. Hope they end their case strong. If not, she walks.
However, she should walk. Solid proof needs to be there -- it is not there - beyond a reasonable doubt.

Poor KR, modern day LB.

All Speculative
And can add only one thing to this arielilane…… great synopsis:

The victim was found in the front yard of a retired Boston, MA police officer!!!

Let that sink in……. and based on the evidence presented thus far - this is how this case was investigated by the police and investigators?

That in my mind tells quite a bit. And IMO this case was brought to trial too soon, and either without adequate investigation, preparation, or evidence. Or all of the above? And IMO that just might be intentional?

Also have to wonder if anyone has been relieved of their duties or demoted. MOO

Last edited:
A note about “journalists”.
Advocacy journalism is a thing, & it is practiced in a variety of ways with a variety of levels of objectivity.
And the people working at places like TMZ are also journalists.
You can disagree with their methods, or the advocacy.
Still journalists.

Jury had entered the courtroom.
Judge greeting & questioning the jury.
@DoctorTurtleboy has left the courtroom, his seat is saved.
Brian Albert is on the stand.
Defense attorney Alan Jackson is up.
Establishes B Albert has testified over 100 times in his career at BPD

Jackson exploring how and when B Albert was prepped.
He prepped for this trial a few weeks ago.
Jackson points out he answered no to when he prepped with Lally.
We are having a discussion about the meaning of the words “prepped” and “spoke”.

Jackson asking what B Albert reviewed.
Video of Waterfall video, and his grand jury testimony.
Jackson asking what he saw in video.
B Albert says he saw himself fooling around with Brian Higgins.
Jackson pushing on if it was “play fighting”

Jackson pushing the idea it was fighting form.
B Albert maintains it was silly joking.
Jackson drilling on what the Lally trial prep was.

Anything you want to change about your testimony?
No
Have you watched any of this testimony?
No
Did you discuss her testimony?
No

Are you close friends with Brian Higgins!
- I wouldn’t say close friends.
Jurors are taking notes & paying attention.
You had a long road trip?
- we drove from Bos to NY
Establishing they went to The Hillside, they had drinks, Brian Higgins had food.

Jackson asks if Higgins said he was texting and flirting with #KarenRead
Almost all of the jurors looked up from their notes at this question.
B Albert says no.

Jackson asking about if Higgins said anything about #KarenRead
Now asking about B Albert’s relationship with John OKeefe.
B Albert describes him as a nice guy, a work colleague, stepped up after family tragedy

@SueNBCBoston

@JHall7news

Jackson is asking Albert about whether he knew Karen Read.During grand jury testimony he indicated he wasn't sure he ever had. But defense says Karen Read took this photo showing Albert, second from left, with John O'Keefe, second from right. Brian's bro Chris A. is at far left.

1715608407345.png

9:47 AM · May 13, 2024

Poor KR, modern day LB.

All Speculative
RE: Dog bites on the arm

There are videos online from dog trainers that discuss dog bites and how they are frequently more of a "tear" in the skin versus a straight-on bite that would leave teeth marks. As the dog is biting down, the human tends to pull away in a defensive position, leaving a tear or laceration on the human's skin. And often the dog is attacking from an angle, so it may only be one canine tooth that punctures the skin and causes the tear, versus two canine teeth explaining the non-symmetrical markings. If you search up images for dog bites, I think you'll find they look exactly like what Officer O'Keefe displays on his arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimilino01